Pharrell confirms working with Madonna Again

moe

I think the drop in US sales is what makes HC look like such a disaster. It sold 750k which isn't terrible, but for Madonna it looked worse than it really was because it was only a little bit higher than AL, even though when AL came out, sales were much higher.

I blame the fact that Madonna was everywhere in April/May 2008 but instead promoting a documentary that was still six months away from being seen instead of actually plugging her new album. Maybe if she had spent more time discussing HC (like she did with ROL or even Confessions) more people might've felt compelled to go out and buy it. It felt embarrassing seeing Mariah do Oprah and Idol the week of her albums release in 2008 while Madonna pretty much threw the album out there. Yes she toured, but like most touring acts, the people who are willing to part with $100+ to see her in concert are the people who she knows already bought a copy of the album... it's the casual people and the non-fans who might buy an album from word of mouth (which for instance boosted ROL a lot) that need the convincing, she has those who are going to buy a concert ticket at "hello".

But the whole music industry had changed so much in that time period that 750k REALLY isn't a terrible number. I truly think regardless of how the next album is received critically that she's going to most likely struggle to reach HC numbers, then what?? The whole promo scenario you suggest just isn't a surefire way to get sales anymore (nor was it in 2008). As much promo as Mariah did, her album should've sold gangbusters but it didn't...and that was off a number one single AND promoting everywhere she could. And regardless of who or why bought her concert tickets, the bottom line is it was a massive success and most likely kept HC on the US charts for as long as it did stay. 4M was LONG gone and HC was hanging in there despite the "flop" singles that followed. It did nearly match the amount of time COADF stayed on the US album chart.

This is the woman that gave us LAP, ROL, Music, COADF.

I prefer Hard Candy to all the albums you just listed. :rotfl:

It's not that serious, folks. Madonna could work with Soulja Boy if she wanted to, and if I like the result, I like the result. There's no need to make these assumptions that I 'lowered my standards.' It's cool if you're not excited about the return of M-Dolla, but how about we just wait and hear what the album sounds like?

The "race" thing goes both ways. Look at all the hip hop fans who hate Black Eyed Peas now for doing "that gay shit"

Well the hip hop fans have a right to be appalled by their latest output

Much as I liked 'Candy', it's not a patch on Pharrell's stuff from a few years before Madonna

I'm not convinced he was necessarily the talent in the Neptunes, mind you.

People who hate HC are latent racists. :1251:

It's funny, amongst the general public I've never heard anything EXTREMELY good or EXTREMELY bad about HC or Madonna's image during that time. Some of the diehards are the only ones that seem to have this intense hatred for her and the music at that time. I'm not saying it's race necessarily but there is something EXTRA that's twisting their panties up their butts.

Although Heartbeart is amazing, I want her to work with Deadmau5, Rusko, and Sub Focus. Something like this would be amazing (if she really wants to do dance)

Oh yes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PB62VeeN19w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oZ-gwpvRoI

I'm not sure if that counts as working with Deadmau5 or a sample, but I LOVE that backing track "Brazil"

It's funny, amongst the general public I've never heard anything EXTREMELY good or EXTREMELY bad about HC or Madonna's image during that time. Some of the diehards are the only ones that seem to have this intense hatred for her and the music at that time. I'm not saying it's race necessarily but there is something EXTRA that's twisting their panties up their butts.

It's the album cover. :queenbitch:

Guest nothingfails0603

Well the hip hop fans have a right to be appalled by their latest output

True, but people keep using this race thing about why dance fans might not care for hip hop. IMO it goes both ways, most hip hop fans don't want to hear David Guetta any more than electronic dance fans want 50 Cent

madonnanation is dreaming of a white madonna album

just like the ones they used to know

:lol: As they say; "Once you go Black, you never go back!"

I can't wait until Madge starts frying up drumsticks and braiding Mercy's hair.

M-DOLLA FOREVER.

But is Erotica a flop? It lost her a ton of sales and credibility compared to her last effort but in the grand scheme of things, it sold relatively well worldwide, much like Hard Candy (as you constantly remind us). So what makes a flop?

Erotica sold 2 million US (just bearly) at a time when a big music superstar could sell 5-10 million US while in a coma. IMO it performed poorly (because of the subject matter) and AL is her true flop (excluding the French).

Sales are really off now for everyone but IMO Hard Candy performed on par with Bedtime Stories/ Something To Remember.

True, but people keep using this race thing about why dance fans might not care for hip hop. IMO it goes both ways, most hip hop fans don't want to hear David Guetta any more than electronic dance fans want 50 Cent

I think it's much broader than race and encompasses ideas of masculinity and femininity and how that adds to perception of self.

I hate when people try to tell me what I like.

One of the most hypocritical things you've ever said :lol: This happens everytime there is a thread even remotely related to the last album. I mean look at you having a meltdown trying to change people's opinions of an album that was just as awkwardly received BY HER OWN FANS as American Life, which happens album that you seem to have no problem pooping on yourself. You do this even when unprovoked!

Listen, you're never going to change people's minds about Hard Candy if they felt it was a lackluster piece of garbage, so the best thing for you to do before getting all condescending on people with that CRINGEWORTHY "Ray Of Lighter" shit, is to test your mettle and move on to a different subject. IT'S NOT WORTH IT. Trust me.

Ok so I LOVE Pharrell, what he did on Hard Candy was GREAT so I'm actually happy about it. I know he can do different things..maybe something more rock like he did with NERD etc. At the same time I wanted something REALLY different , so different producers and sound..

We'll see.

One of the most hypocritical things you've ever said :lol: This happens everytime there is a thread even remotely related to the last album. I mean look at you having a meltdown trying to change people's opinions of an album that was just as awkwardly received BY HER OWN FANS as American Life, which happens album that you seem to have no problem pooping on yourself. You do this even when unprovoked!

Listen, you're never going to change people's minds about Hard Candy if they felt it was a lackluster piece of garbage, so the best thing for you to do before getting all condescending on people with that CRINGEWORTHY "Ray Of Lighter" shit, is to test your mettle and move on to a different subject. IT'S NOT WORTH IT. Trust me.

I'm not (nor have I ever) tried to change people's opinions on the music. Read a little closer. I just put broad comments like "internationally it was a joke" or things to that effect into perspective. Never have I personally insulted someone because they don't like it, but when they go on about how EVERYBODY hates it and people that claim to like it FORCE THEMSELVES then I speak up and provide the facts. Maybe I need to go back and re-read what I've said in this thread...lol...but I don't ever recall trying to start to try to get people into LOVING Hard Candy all of a sudden. I've ALWAYS said hate it until your hearts content, but don't twist the facts to suit your very own opinion.

BTW....among the DIEHARDS HC is as awkwardly received as AL....the rest of the world, not so much. Surely you must see the difference in someone saying that I forced myself to like it vs. me spitting out chart stats/sales and speaking on what OTHER CRITICS have stated.

*if* she was going to work with ANYone from the last album, Id be totally fine if its him, and ONLY him. I think GI2M is one of her BEST, most underated songs ever. I dont care if it was a flop in the US and did so so worldwide. It instantly was magical the 1st time I heard it and would be MORE than thrilled if they even recreated something 1/2 as good. Obviously Id love to see her raise the bar and work with someone whos more obscure (as she used to famously do) but typically with M, she always snatches up at least 1 producer from her prior album regardless of how minimal or big their input is. No, Pharrel is no Pat Leonard, but he did some very decent stuff with her and is versatile with his sound.

Guest Pud Whacker

madonnanation is dreaming of a white madonna album

just like the ones they used to know

:rotfl:

the ray of lighters want that white evita, david foster, william orbit shyt. i like my madonna funk hole!!!!

but everyone has their favorite madonna. i love mirwais but hes got the funk.

madonna's first 3 producers were black. stephen bray, reggie lucas and nile rodgers.

EAT IT RACISTS!!!!!

and they all accused my saint angel vanity bonet of being racist when she was just keeping it real. HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEY!!!!

apart from the title track American Life is a great album, maybe too serious but good! Hard Candy was ..... empty (in my opinion) but yes considering the Pharrell wrote the best songs in HC I'm ok, as long as he is not the final producer!

Can I say that I am still amazed how someone like Pharrell who is pushing 40 can still look like he is 16.

I think he has found the fountain of youth, and Madonna is working with him again in hopes of finding out where it is.

Can I say that I am still amazed how someone like Pharrell who is pushing 40 can still look like he is 16.

I think he has found the fountain of youth, and Madonna is working with him again in hopes of finding out where it is.

ahahahahah best ever!!!! :lmao: