Santa Baby!

jonski43

There's too many things to quote in here that I agree with -- about MG working live at RIT and CPG being the best rock track live (and yes, Hung Up being perhaps the worst live rock track)... But also about "Santa Baby" (the point of the thread -- mostly I'm agreeing with HolidayGuy)... I mean, it's a cartoonish song to begin with. Whenever anyone says her voice doesn't sound as good as Eartha Kitt, "Betty Boop" is always my response! :lol:

I mean, seriously, if you want a song that's about a bunch of expensive things on some woman's Christmas list to be SEXY, well, then... maybe you're in the wrong relationship? I mean, I know it's just a silly song on which I shouldn't place too much meaning, but... Honestly, Madonna's version feels more appropriate to me with vocals that don't seem like they're taking everything so seriously. Tongue-in-cheek.

Don't get me wrong -- Eartha and Kylie both deserve respect for their own careers, and Eartha's voice is sultry on her version, but I just question whether sultry/sexy is the right tone for the lyrical content. I guess it's the whole thing with the Santa-esque lingerie and stuff. There's nothing about the Christmas trappings that screams "sexy" to me. (Maybe I just need more imagination, but... that's my two cents.)

Betty Boop ftw!

Just realised no one's posted anything about Santa Baby this year so what the hell. I wonder how this would have performed if it had been released with Supernatural on the B-side. It would have been very welcome in the barren period of 1988. Love it or loathe it, here we go folks.

:rotfl: Love Madonna. Love Nikki Finn. Love that voice. Love the ridiculousness. :lol:

Well if you want a SEXY version you know where to go :queenbitch:

You find a shit load of bum notes and lack of personality sexy? Sorry, but I don't see any sexy in that performance at all. There's only a handfull of songs where Kylie has managed sexy. This definitely is NOT one of them!

Guest bluejean

One of the comments on YouTube:

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

:lol: Well it is someone taking the piss, that someone being Madonna.

I don't think this song works as a piss take, Cry Baby is much better. Don't mind the Kylie version of Santa Baby though I suppose.

It's not quite as good as something like "Last Christmas," but it definitely is one of the perennial holiday tracks (as evident by its No. 52 placement on Billboard's Hot 100 Holiday Hits from last year)- its association with the terrific A Very Special Christmas album has not hurt it, either. And, looking at past years' airplay, it's also one of the 10 most-played holiday oldies at pop during Christmas week.

This was Eartha performing it in 2006:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzd6oCP3FKk&feature=related

And, this, I believe, is the more uptempo version Kitt recorded in 1963, which more inspired Madge's version:

In Madge's version, I like how she delivers, "I don't mean a PHONE..." Definitely more tongue-in-cheek than even Kitt's original.