A full DVD rip of the American Life (Director's Cut) video has leaked

svperstar

I could be wrong but I always thought she only made her decision once MTV objected to the content. So she looks like she's in control of the situation.

War comes across trivialized in the video and I don't blame MTV for thinking it was a bad time to show it.

I think the idea was to put this out in the run up to war to put her anti-war ideas out there and (lets be honest) take advantage of the situation for publicity a little bit. But the country moved into actual war really fast and it would be in extremely bad taste to show model soldiers being blown up on a catwalk while actual soldiers were being blown up over there so the whole thing went belly up.

I think the idea was to put this out in the run up to war to put her anti-war ideas out there and (lets be honest) take advantage of the situation for publicity a little bit. But the country moved into actual war really fast and it would be in extremely bad taste to show model soldiers being blown up on a catwalk while actual soldiers were being blown up over there so the whole thing went belly up.

yes. I don't think M caught that til the last second.

Mmm... But why did she do it in the first place then? The video got out there anyway, not officially but everyone has and had the chance to see it, it was already on the net back in 2003 and she knew it would just like everything else, it just doesn't make sense to me :confused:

As someone who writes, I believe Madonna was seduced by her own ideas. When that happens you’re not interested in running away from them but what its leading you to feels good – you feel like you can move oceans, and truthfully in that mental and spiritual state you can. Once everything was all said and done, you take a step back – look at your creation and realize not only is it not for everyone but this time the consequences aren’t about me, they have far greater reaches.

As someone who writes, I believe Madonna was seduced by her own ideas. When that happens you’re not interested in running away from them but what its leading you to feels good – you feel like you can move oceans, and truthfully in that mental and spiritual state you can. Once everything was all said and done, you take a step back – look at your creation and realize not only is it not for everyone but this time the consequences aren’t about me, they have far greater reaches.

:thumbsup:

and it should be noted she kept the theme going for her concerts- she didn't completely back down.

Guest bluejean

I really think Madonna picked this whole theme AFTER the album was done to try and stir controversy to build hype for the album. Even though she pulled the video, the theme was still in media and in the album art (inside the booklet, not just the cover.) so people still saw it and knew about it. Since the album had nothing to do with war, it came across as abit tasteless. Even had she not pulled the video, it would have made no difference. The song American Life was never going to take off, it just wasn't very well received from the get go. Fans like to claim a so called boycott, perhaps there was an element of that. But the album, while having good songs on it, lacked any major hit potential. Just compare the singles to those of Ray Of Light, Music, Confessions or even Hard Candy and its obvious why it flopped.

Guest bluejean

Hollywood would have been okay as a 1st single. But let's be honest, neither American Life, Hollywood or any song on this album were ever going to race up the charts like Frozen, Music, Hung Up or even 4 Minutes. Imo she made the right choice with American Life, it had the most potential in terms of having a unique flavour to it. Ideally, she would have abolished the whole project after Warner gave it the thumbs down and re-worked the songs or done some other songs with a different producer.

It's not that I think AL is a bad album. It has some really good songs. I think the production let's them down. Mirwais did a great job with certain songs on Music but this album was really scraping the barrel. The acoustic guitar thing was really overdone and the lyrics were mediocre at times. I think had they kept it in the vein of Mother & Father, Nobody Know Me and American Life songs like Hollywood, Love Profusion, Intervention and X-Static Process may have been hit worthy. I guess Madonna was really getting into guitar at the time and that's why it is how it is. It works as a nice album to listen to, but not as a hit Madonna album. That's why Confessions was so welcomed when it followed.

Guest Topaz Scorpio

Hollywood would have been okay as a 1st single. But let's be honest, neither American Life, Hollywood or any song on this album were ever going to race up the charts like Frozen, Music, Hung Up or even 4 Minutes. Imo she made the right choice with American Life, it had the most potential in terms of having a unique flavour to it. Ideally, she would have abolished the whole project after Warner gave it the thumbs down and re-worked the songs or done some other songs with a different producer.

I really think "Hollywood" could've gone Top 10 had it been the lead-off. It was radio-friendly enough, she was following on a Top 10 single in "Die Another Day", and there likely wouldn't have been a controversial video that generated negative buzz about the album. I mean M's lead-off singles have always done traditionally well. starting with LAV...

Like A Virgin #1

Papa Don't Preach #1 (if you don't consider LTT the lead-off)

Like A Prayer #1

Vogue #1

Erotica #3

Secret #3

Frozen #2

Music #1

Even after this...

Hung Up #7

4 Minutes #3

I really think "Hollywood" could've gone Top 10 had it been the lead-off. It was radio-friendly enough, she was following on a Top 10 single in "Die Another Day", and there likely wouldn't have been a controversial video that generated negative buzz about the album. I mean M's lead-off singles have always done traditionally well. starting with LAV...

It had a fairly bitter tone to it though.