A full DVD rip of the American Life (Director's Cut) video has leaked

svperstar

Madonna herself didn't say anything about her children, she actually said she didn't want to insult the troops. The fact that she was supposedly threatened came out after.

no she did make a comment right away something about she has a family to think of now, you had to read between the lines a bit but it was there.

Guest Pud Whacker

no she did make a comment right away something about she has a family to think of now, you had to read between the lines a bit but it was there.

yes it was on the hour long dateline special with matt lauer when the world introduced the word RELEVANT into the collective pop culture vocabulary.

Guest Pud Whacker

^ And gave us the ability to create such beautiful nicknames as Irrelevantina Hasbeenera :lol:

yes and nothings like guilliana ransick can say is katherine heigel relevant on joan rivers' fashion police?

um, no shes not and either are you guilliana. :rotfl:

there was a time when nothing stars knew their place. now a kardashian is uber famous.

Guest Pud Whacker

The song is a little rediculous to begin with- trying to tell people it's not so wonderful to have too much money and fame. May be true but who's gonna relate or care? An anti-war video over that never seemed quite right to me.

i always thought the video would have been great had it been a social commentary on what the song lyrics were dealing with. basically the sentiment of the first three songs on american life.

i always thought the video would have been great had it been a social commentary on what the song lyrics were dealing with. basically the sentiment of the first three songs on american life.

she went all war/political with the album artwork and video but there isn't a single word of it in the music. IMO one of her stranger decisions.

Does the link work for anyone??? It will not download for me!!! URRRGGGG!

Anyways, I remember M saying how theres another version of the video thats like 12 minutes long that includes talking between the characters in the vid. Would love to see that one day.

I think she said this sometime after the album and RIT tour, i think during COAD promo

She simply went to the war bandwagon and didnt have the balls to deal with it! The original video was amazing because the people behind it had a strong concept, but i think she didnt really got it properly, the subject itself was too serious for her to even try explain it without sounding oportunist...

She simply went to the war bandwagon and didnt have the balls to deal with it! The original video was amazing because the people behind it had a strong concept, but i think she didnt really got it properly, the subject itself was too serious for her to even try explain it without sounding oportunist...

:thumbsup:

I agree. I think the war theme may have come along and she convinced herself it fitted but it didn't. I'm really not a fan of the video as I find it very contrived and I don't like the mix of the song. Along with the album artwork, it set the wrong tone for a very good album.

The Drowned World video sentiment would actually work better with the song.

Also not part of the "want-fame" game. I'm perfectly content being my quiet, not-in-the-public self. :) Why I found "everybody comes to Hollywood" so silly- no, not everybody does, Your Madgesty.

I recall her saying those things about having children and having them to think about. The AL video was a far different ballgame than pushing the envelope in other areas.

AL isn't in contention for my favorite M video, but it does have that Madonna-boundary-pushing quality to it.

I agree. I think the war theme may have come along and she convinced herself it fitted but it didn't. I'm really not a fan of the video as I find it very contrived and I don't like the mix of the song. Along with the album artwork, it set the wrong tone for a very good album.

The Drowned World video sentiment would actually work better with the song.

I don't really agree with this... There was a lot going on in the video, and there were many themes present. Madonna said herself she was "pro-peace" but the largest aim of the video was not necessarily aimed at the war. I mean, it's all set in a fashion show, and there are the critics/fashionistas/spectators, and then Madonna and her big-girl posse show up in the "Hell on Wheels" Mini-Cooper and "wake everybody up" with the water cannon. I mean... it's far from a perfect video, but there is a sense that the video wasn't only meant to take on politics. She's also attacking superficiality, consumerism, American idealization of fame, etc. I realize there's a bit of a disconnect between the lyrics and the visuals, but then it's a bit of a metaphorical presentation of it.

The artwork for the album -- with her as Che -- was her assuming the imagery of a rebel. And the first three songs of AL were 'rebellious' -- going against the grain of what she perceived was 'popular' with American culture at the time -- materialism, consumerism, American Idol, etc.

Also not part of the "want-fame" game. I'm perfectly content being my quiet, not-in-the-public self. :) Why I found "everybody comes to Hollywood" so silly- no, not everybody does, Your Madgesty.

I recall her saying those things about having children and having them to think about. The AL video was a far different ballgame than pushing the envelope in other areas.

AL isn't in contention for my favorite M video, but it does have that Madonna-boundary-pushing quality to it.

I don't necessarily think the point of "Hollywood" is that everyone literally/physically drives/flies to southern California. Hollywood is a metaphor in this case. And if you like any form of the entertainment industry (films, television, music), then you're participating in the culture of Hollywood to some degree. I know that's not quite the same thing as the lyrics are saying -- but anyone who tries to succeed in his or her own chosen field/career can identify to some extent with what the lyrics of "Hollywood" are talking about... How sometimes you're only as good as your most recent output, you're only value lies in your productivity, etc. But that's disenchanting, because we're all not perfect, we all make mistakes. The disillusionment makes its way into the song at the end with the "trip the station, change the channel" bit... and later on in the album, we find her revealing how much more important love is than fame -- pretty standard Madonna, actually.

She simply went to the war bandwagon and didnt have the balls to deal with it!

That's not true! She was one of the first to go there and critisize the situation. It's been others like Green Day that released American Idiot when it was cool to tell Bush to shut up. But to go and film a vid when a war is starting was a very brave movement by Madonna.

Guest gloriesbarcelona

Why are people judging her decision to pull the video? She has children to protect. Americans (especially the gun toting) are sick, and during that time would make no bones about attempting to harm her or anyone she loved.

Mmm... But why did she do it in the first place then? The video got out there anyway, not officially but everyone has and had the chance to see it, it was already on the net back in 2003 and she knew it would just like everything else, it just doesn't make sense to me :confused:

That's not true! She was one of the first to go there and critisize the situation. It's been others like Green Day that released American Idiot when it was cool to tell Bush to shut up. But to go and film a vid when a war is starting was a very brave movement by Madonna.

It was all about the war, being favor or not, it was everywhere in the media and she jumped on that! The AL song isnt about war at all, her people or herself got this idea and they worked it pretty fine in the video but she didnt had the balls to go on with it and EXPLAIN it! I remember a lot of interviews where she simply couldnt explain what was going on with the video, because she clearly felt uncomfortable with it!

Digital illiteracy moment here, need help.

Does anyone know how to convert this file on a MacBook so they can read it? It downloaded as a .RAR file, but it extracted it as a .VOB file. Not sure what's the best way to open this.

I have to agree with the crew here who say that it's just not a good video. I think she wanted to make an anti-war video, but seeing as how the song has nothing to do with war, she needed an excuse to connect the two ideas, so they had a bunch of models in a fashion show to represent the materialistic world and had them dress in army fatigues. It was a bit of a stretch, and I just don't think it got the message across that well.

I also just find it to be boring. The first half of the video is just models walking up and down a catwalk.

Mmm... But why did she do it in the first place then? The video got out there anyway, not officially but everyone has and had the chance to see it, it was already on the net back in 2003 and she knew it would just like everything else, it just doesn't make sense to me :confused:

I could be wrong but I always thought she only made her decision once MTV objected to the content. So she looks like she's in control of the situation.

War comes across trivialized in the video and I don't blame MTV for thinking it was a bad time to show it.

she went all war/political with the album artwork and video but there isn't a single word of it in the music. IMO one of her stranger decisions.

I disagree. The song is about our (her) pursuit of the finer trappings of life, all artifice and perhaps ultimately meaningless, while forgetting what's really important-- a situation she's starting to reflect on. The video shows people in a fashion show so concerned with the artificial (fashion, entertainment, appearance, etc.) not realizing the real horrors going on right in front of them (war, prejudice, devastation)--&, worse, for which they just blithely regard as amusement.

To me, both the song and the video comment on our preoccupation with the surface/artificial and our disconnect from (or apathy towards) what's real & important. I think only when we perceive that our OWN personal survival is at stake that we start to take stock-- represented by the grenade and the collective gasp at the end.

The war/military approach was Madonna's attempt at being topical while still bringing on her message. I guess situations intervened so that things didn't work out quite well.

Still, a fantastic video!