Confessions Tour Billboard Boxscore Thread

Guest Beautiful Stranger

What I posted is what appeared in Billboard- that with European and Australian dates inclued, Cher's tour grossed more than $200 million. Now, because the non-North American shows had a different promoter, I don't know if that counts separately or whatever- but the facts are the facts.

So, candylipsbaby, believe Billboard, cause here it is. :)

Not that any of this matters, becuase the CT is a bonafide huge success.

May 28, 2005,

On The Road: Cher Tour Top Grosser Among Female Acts

By RAY WADDELL

As partings go, Cher's was such sweet sorrow, indeed.

And record-setting. It is safe to say that Cher just wrapped the top-grossing tour ever by a female artist.

The numbers generated on Cher's three-year Living Proof Farewell Tour are nothing short of remarkable. The tour concluded triumphantly April 29 and 30 at the Hollywood Bowl in Los Angeles with two sellouts that grossed $2.8 million.

During the course of 280 shows in North America, Cher played to 2,880,726 fans and grossed $194,683,927. More impressively, she played to 92% of capacity and realized 90% of her gross potential on the road. From Albany, N.Y., to Yakima, Wash., Cher played virtually every feasible market in the country.

Brad Wavra, touring VP at Clear Channel Entertainment, promoted the North American dates. "No other female artist has ever come close to what she did," he tells Billboard. "Not Madonna, not Bette Midler, not Janet, not Whitney, not Tina, because she outworked them all."

Including European concerts (promoted by Barrie Marshall) and Australian shows (promoted by Michael Coppell), Cher played 325 dates, grossing well over $200 million and playing to more than 3 million people. Wavra is quick to point out that despite its length, this was one complete tour. "She might have taken a month or two off physically, but she was always on sale," he says. "It was the same show, the same production, the same crew, everything."

A $200 million-plus tour puts Cher in some pretty exclusive company for an act not known for extensive touring. "If Cher's in the same company as the Rolling Stones and U2, that ain't a bad place to be," Wavra says.

Guest jamesshot

You cant compare a show that lasts for 2 years versus one that lasts for 4 months. Per show, I am sure Madonna annihilates Cher. It is a triumph Madonna's 60 date concert is gonna gross as much as it is. What other female singer can play stadiums in every country AND do it for almost 20 years?

Guest jamesshot

I know it doesnt matter much to me whether Madonna grosses more or not. No other female can play stadiums. And shes done it since 1987. Though she didnt play many stadiums in the US since then, she could have. She plays multiple shows at every city. That translates into one( or in NY's case more) stadium show at each city. Astounding.

Guest Topaz Scorpio
Could she play as many countries as Madonna? How long did Turner do stadiums?

http://home.hccnet.nl/e.soeten/tina_concerts.htm

This website has a pretty extensive breakdown on all of Tina's tour dates from 1985-2000. She definitely played a number of stadiums, mainly in Europe though, and was still doing stadium shows through her last tour.

I never realized how MUCH she toured though. I knew she was a great live performer, but this must have been exhausting, especially since she was age 46 to 61 in this period. :wow:

Guest jamesshot

I knew Turner played a lot of stadium gigs in Europe, wasnt sure about the US. I dont think she did for long. Only Madonna seems to have the drawing power as long as she has to play stadiums in the US.

Turner was indeed a great performer. One of the best of all time. I bet her shows were great. Wish I would have seen her live.

Guest Topaz Scorpio
I knew Turner played a lot of stadium gigs in Europe, wasnt sure about the US. I dont think she did for long. Only Madonna seems to have the drawing power as long as she has to play stadiums in the US.

Not sure what you mean here. Madonna only did some stadium shows in the U.S. for the Who's That Girl Tour and 1 stadium (Oakland Coliseum) for the Blonde Ambition tour.

Tina did some U.S. stadium shows for her 1985 and 1987 tours. Her 1993 tour it's unclear because that site I listed before doesn't specify what venues she played at.

So they seem to be on equal ground here.

Guest jamesshot

Well, I count Madonna doing mulitple shows in one city as stadium worthy. She chose not to do stadiums for BA on, to be closer to the audience. But it is clear she could have played stadiums in probably every city had she chosen to, at least for BA, DWT, RIT and CT. So virtually from 87 on, she was able to fill stadiums. Thats 19 years. I dont think Tina could have as consistently filled stadiums for that long as Madonna did. I could be wrong.

I thought Madonna played all stadiums during WTG?

Guest Topaz Scorpio
Well, I count Madonna doing mulitple shows in one city as stadium worthy. She chose not to do stadiums for BA on, to be closer to the audience. But it is clear she could have played stadiums in probably every city had she chosen to, at least for BA, DWT, RIT and CT. So virtually from 87 on, she was able to fill stadiums. Thats 19 years. I dont think Tina could have as consistently filled stadiums for that long as Madonna did. I could be wrong.

I thought Madonna played all stadiums during WTG?

Not all...

Date City Country Venue

June 27, 1987 Miami United States Orange Bowl STADIUM

June 29, 1987 Atlanta United States The Omni ARENA

July 2, 1987 Washington D.C. United States RFK Stadium

July 9, 1987 Foxboro United States Sullivan Stadium

July 11, 1987 Philadelphia United States Veteran's Stadium

July 13, 1987 New York United States Madison Square Garden ARENA

July 15, 1987 Seattle United States KingDome STADIUM?

July 18, 1987 Anaheim United States Anaheim Stadium

July 20, 1987 Mountain View United States Shoreline Amphitheatre

July 21, 1987 Mountain View United States Shoreline Amphitheatre

July 24, 1987 Houston United States AstroDome STADIUM

July 26, 1987 Irving United States Texas Stadium

July 29, 1987 St. Paul United States Civic Centre

July 31, 1987 Chicago United States Soldier Field STADIUM

August 2, 1987 East Troy United States Alpine Valley Music Theatre AMPHITHEATRE

August 4, 1987 Richfield United States Coliseum STADIUM

August 5, 1987 Richfield United States Coliseum STADIUM

August 7, 1987 Pontiac United States SilverDome STADIUM

August 9, 1987 East Rutherford United States Giant's Stadium

And as for comparing how the two would've filled stadiums, we can only go by the years where they actually played stadiums, all else is speculation. Many people won't go to stadium shows (including myself) as the views can be terrible unless you're close up.

Guest northernlad

Speaking of, Billboard's running a few days behind with the new chart, we'll likely have to wait for the printed edition.

The Stones will likely be submitting their European shows this week.

Guest Caresse Henry

This tour is all income and no substance. Unlike the ReInvention Tour which I managed and made a success in all fronts. Even Riverwide (call me!) would agree with me :rosey:

Guest Beautiful Stranger
This tour is all income and no substance. Unlike the ReInvention Tour which I managed and made a success in all fronts. Even Riverwide (call me!) would agree with me :rosey:

You couldn't sell out Slane... cunt...

topic posted on Cher's forum: -link-

Posted: 9/7/06 7:58 am

Cher's tour gross VS Madonna's

I wrote to Billboard about this never ending subject and because I was bored reading everywhere that Madonna was having the best-selling concert tour by a female ever...

Here's my letter to Keith from AskBillboard:

"Hi Keith

I follow the lengthy discussion here with pleasure. One subject, though, has all my attention: the tour figures of Cher's 3-year Farewell Tour and Madonna current Confessions Tour. How is it possible that everybody hypes the fact that Madonna might gross over $200 million, beating Cher record, while the Cher record is not clear.

In a previous discussion, you stated that Cher grossed "a reported $194,6 million from 280 shows between June 2002 and April 2005". Problem is the tour datas spread here and there only count the U.S.A, Canada and Mexico dates and therefore do not include the 45 shows played in Europe, Russia, Australia and New Zealand between 2004/05. There was only one Boxscore released off these 45 shows: show #300. Feb 22, 2005 /Christchurch, NZ / Westpac Centre - $808,635 - 6'895 out of 7'099. Where are the other Australian/NZ datas?

With 44 datas missing, you can easily assume that Cher never ending trek grossed way over $230 million.

So what's going on here? Does Clear Channel hide those figures? Does Boxscore have them or not (were they even reported)? Doesn't Cher's camp proud of this amazing achievement? Just wondering!

Best regards from France

Clement"

Here is what Keith responded a few days letter:

"Hi Clement,

Really, it all comes down to what has been *reported* to us. Unfortunately, if a promoter opts not to report their figures to us, we can't track their data.

Keith"

Any help in resolving this case is appreciated. And yes, Madonna, will gross more than $200 million.

Guest Moskovit

I wonder, whether we will ever have an info about Moscow concert's box office? Usually in Russia conserts organizers don't announce the numbers or even decrease them to pay less taxes. I hope this time, as Madonna consert became scandalous public event, the organizers just couldn't stay silent.

I wonder, whether we will ever have an info about Moscow concert's box office? Usually in Russia conserts organizers don't announce the numbers or even decrease them to pay less taxes. I hope this time, as Madonna consert became scandalous public event, the organazers just coldn't stay silent.

Is it sold out yet? Since the touring company she is using in Russia is aligned with Live Nation, I am pretty sure we'll get numbers.

Guest Moskovit
Is it sold out yet? Since the touring company she is using in Russia is aligned with Live Nation, I am pretty sure we'll get numbers.

They started selling additional tickets on Tuesday afternoon, 1 162 tickets were sold by internet in two hours time.

I think today or tomorrow, but for sure Moscow concert will be sold out.

Guest Topaz Scorpio

I think it's clear that Cher would've earned more in total when you add in all of her tour dates around the world. But let's look at the bigger picture here, she did that over THREE YEARS with 325 SHOWS. Madonna wiil have earned almost the same amount in FOUR MONTHS with 60 SHOWS.

It's pretty easy to see which tour was the more successful one...

Guest Xanthium

Madonna will end up having the best selling concert for a female artist ever as far as the record books go. It's possible that Cher's Farewell Tour did better but since the numbers for a ton of her shows were never revealed, Cher's shit out of luck. Billboard and the like deal with facts not speculation.

Guest northernlad

Madonna

Amsterdam Arena

Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Sept. 3-4, 2006

$11,783,254

102,330 / 102,330

2 / 2

$125.43, $84.47

Madonna

Horsens Forum Outdoor

Horsens, Denmark