Confessions Tour Billboard Boxscore Thread

Guest Beautiful Stranger

well 2 years ago, the 80,000 Slane Castle concert was just short of a thousand ticket sales yet it wasn't declared sold out... so I think we should just believe what Boxscore says, after all, they are the ones who really are in the know...

empty seats doesn't always mean that no one bought tickets for that seat... it can be they just failed to show up... it can mean lots of things... so to save ourselves from all the drama whether it's sold out or not

let's just take it as it is and leave it to the lambs, the al kylie-das etc. to file for recounts...

:p

Guest Topaz Scorpio
empty seats doesn't always mean that no one bought tickets for that seat... it can be they just failed to show up... it can mean lots of things... :p

A whole section of an arena would not be closed off by tarp/netting prior to the concert beginning for people who "just didn't show up". The arena knew those seats would not be occupied in advance and closed off that section. This would fall in line possibly more with what Hafo is saying, that the capacity of the arena was adjusted from night-to-night.

Only you, mtzl, would be in drama over such a thing. :)

Boxscore is and should be the definitive word, indeed. I'm looking to see when Billboard does its mid-year touring report, with grosses thus far and such, to see who's got the biggest thus far.

I was at the 2nd Hartford show, and he whole 300 level in back was covered with a black tarp/sheet, I'm not sure about the first night. Almost every seat that was available other than that was full though, so I guess it was "sold out" for the seats that were available.

Guest Beautiful Stranger

If the BB Boxscore numbers were bogus than the RIT show in Dublin at Slane would have been listed as a sellout...

All this fuss over "sold out" :lol: As long as most of the seats sell and the show looks packed, she hauls in humongous grosses each night, I'm sure she's pleased and making her peers very envious.

Guest Topaz Scorpio
All this fuss over "sold out" :lol: As long as most of the seats sell and the show looks packed, she hauls in humongous grosses each night, I'm sure she's pleased and making her peers very envious.

I agree. But this means there also should be no questioning of Kylie and others shows selling out. I mean I can remember people spinning around like there was no tomorrow about Kylie's shows in Manchester (or maybe it was London) not selling out and then the Boxscore coming out showing sell outs and then people screaming how it was a lie, and bogus reporting because they saw empty seats at the show, blah, blah, blah.

I agree. But this means there also should be no questioning of Kylie and others shows selling out. I mean I can remember people spinning around like there was no tomorrow about Kylie's shows in Manchester (or maybe it was London) not selling out and then the Boxscore coming out showing sell outs and then people screaming how it was a lie, and bogus reporting because they saw empty seats at the show, blah, blah, blah.

yes but it's KYLIE so it should be expected on here

But it's also hypocritical.

you're preaching to the choir here my friend... but it's useless to debate it on here

Guest Hafo

Oh common, in all fairness this is a Madonna forum and the partiality is expected, also, it's the USUAL BUNCH who whines about that. And Madonna is the inevitable point of comparison, be it Kylie, Mariah, Christina or Samantha Mumba's spirit. Numbers don't lie, and we should be happy that she's selling out all her gigs in the US so far and let the other artists do their best.

Rolling Stones are continuing with the Bigger Bang Tour- I wonder if it may challenge M for top tour of the year? It may be on trek for top tour of all time (it would need to best the $330 million that U2 grossed). I'm not sure off-hand what it grossed last year and such.

Guest boytoyville
Rolling Stones are continuing with the Bigger Bang Tour- I wonder if it may challenge M for top tour of the year? It may be on trek for top tour of all time (it would need to best the $330 million that U2 grossed). I'm not sure off-hand what it grossed last year and such.

It looks like it's going to be a close call. I really hope they don't steal M's thunder but in all fairness she is a solo act and a solo female act. Solo acts tend to draw less of a crowd as do female artist so I think she will end on a positive note nonetheless but I wanted another top grossing tour of the year from her! I can't believe people are still going in the truck loads to see the Rolling Stones. I wonder what their shows are like?

Just looked in 2005's year-end Billboard- it says how the RS tour producer Michael Cohl chooses to report numbers at the conclusion of a tour- so that would affect the 2006 charts. If that's the case, RS easily will have the biggest numbers (around $350m)- though it really shouldn't take into account 2005 grosses.

U2's tour grossed $260.12 million in 2005, and another $70m or so this year (hence, the $330m gross overall).

Guest northernlad

Hafo's comments were right on the money but a few quick notes on Boxscore practices. When a promoter reports to Boxscore they give the base amount of tickets to be sold in contract, and the ultimate figure sold, once the base is met any tickets sold afterwards are tacked on with an automatic "sold-out" (hence besides those sections never put up for sale, those ever present tickets on ticketmaster the hour before the concert starts never being reported as unsold). And though in recent years there's been a bit of bickering over this on certain artists forums, Billboard hasn't exactly made it a secret that their capacity is based on tickets put up for sale by the promoter, not maximum venue seating - which makes it kind of creepy to see some of the fans here obsessing over her "selling-out", it is her third major tour in six years after-all, none of the venues will be breaking fire codes this time around though her bankroll will be. :p She's doing wonderfully, and that's what matters.

On the Stones thing, don't people ever get sick of seeing them? They & U2 are certainly the all-time overachievers of the biz, I can't imagine anyone loving it that much to go out nearly every fucking year. (Though their love of second legs might make a Madge fan a bit jealous from time to time, if one forgets how grueling her shows are in comparison).

Hafo's comments were right on the money but a few quick notes on Boxscore practices. When a promoter reports to Boxscore they give the base amount of tickets to be sold in contract, and the ultimate figure sold, once the base is met any tickets sold afterwards are tacked on with an automatic "sold-out" (hence besides those sections never put up for sale, those ever present tickets on ticketmaster the hour before the concert starts never being reported as unsold). And though in recent years there's been a bit of bickering over this on certain artists forums, Billboard hasn't exactly made it a secret that their capacity is based on tickets put up for sale by the promoter, not maximum venue seating - which makes it kind of creepy to see some of the fans here obsessing over her "selling-out", it is her third major tour in six years after-all, none of the venues will be breaking fire codes this time around though her bankroll will be. :p She's doing wonderfully, and that's what matters.

On the Stones thing, don't people ever get sick of seeing them? They & U2 are certainly the all-time overachievers of the biz, I can't imagine anyone loving it that much to go out nearly every fucking year. (Though their love of second legs might make a Madge fan a bit jealous from time to time, if one forgets how grueling her shows are in comparison).

That's absolutely true. She is indeed doing wonderfully.

Here's a rundown of approximative figures for upcoming shows:

July 06 Boston TD Bank Garden - 12,247 (based on Billboard Boxscore 2006)

July 09 Boston TD Bank Garden - 12,247 (based on Billboard Boxscore 2006)

July 10 Boston TD Bank Garden - 12,247 (based on Billboard Boxscore 2006)

July 12 Philadelphia Wachovia Center - 14,874 (based on Billboard Boxscore 2006)

July 13 Philadelphia Wachovia Center - 14,874 (based on Billboard Boxscore 2006)

July 16 Atlantic City Boardwalk Hall - 12,322 (based on Billboard Boxscore 2006)

July 18 New York Madison Square Garden - 14,770 (based on RIT figure 2004)

July 19 New York Madison Square Garden - 14,770 (based on RIT figure 2004)

July 22 Miami AmericanAirlines Arena - 15,290 (based on RIT figure 2004)

July 23 Miami AmericanAirlines Arena - 15,290 (based on RIT figure 2004)

July 30 Cardiff Millennium Stadium - 60,000 (based on press reports - 57,000 appear to have been sold already)

Aug. 01 London Wembley Arena - 11,046 (based on RIT figure 2004)

Aug. 03 London Wembley Arena - 11,046 (based on RIT figure 2004)

Aug. 06 Rome Olympic Stadium - 62,000 (based on press reports)

Aug. 09 London Wembley Arena - 11,046 (based on RIT figure 2004)

Aug. 10 London Wembley Arena - 11,046 (based on RIT figure 2004)

Aug. 12 London Wembley Arena - 11,046 (based on RIT figure 2004)

Aug. 13 London Wembley Arena - 11,046 (based on RIT figure 2004)

Aug. 15 London Wembley Arena - 11,046 (based on RIT figure 2004)

Aug. 16 London Wembley Arena - 11,046 (based on RIT figure 2004)

Aug. 20 Dusseldorf LTU Arena - 65,000 (based on press reports)

Aug. 22 Hannover Niedersachsen - 65,000 (based on press reports)

Aug. 24 Horsens (Denmark) Forum Horsens Outdoor - 85,000 (based on press reports)

Aug. 27 Paris Bercy Stadium - 17,000 (based on RIT figure 2004)

Aug. 28 Paris Bercy Stadium - 17,000 (based on RIT figure 2004)

Aug. 30 Paris Bercy Stadium - 17,000 (based on RIT figure 2004)

Aug. 31 Paris Bercy Stadium - 17,000 (based on RIT figure 2004)

Sept. 03 Amsterdam Arena - 45,000 (based on capacity for similar concerts)

Sept. 04 Amsterdam Arena - 45,000 (based on capacity for similar concerts)

Sept. 06 Prague Sazka Arena - 18,000 (based on capacity for similar concerts)

Sept. 07 Prague Sazka Arena - 18,000 (based on capacity for similar concerts)

Sept. 16 Osaka Dome - 45,000 (based on capacity for similar concerts)

Sept. 17 Osaka Dome - 45,000 (based on capacity for similar concerts) to be added

Sept. 20 Tokyo Dome - 43,449 (based on capacity for Rolling Stones as of Billboard Boxscore)

Sept. 21 Tokyo Dome - 43,449 (based on capacity for Rolling Stones as of Billboard Boxscore) to be added

This means that she will have played to at least 1,262,010 people (she has already played to around 295,000 people in the US so far) worldwide after all is said and done and the tour will have grossed in excess of 210,000,000 dollars in just over 60 dates. Plus, we all know that Moscow appears to be happening (if everything works out) and she may end up doing 5 or 6 gigs in Japan, especially if you consider her Japan tour history and the fact that she has not played Japan since 1993.

So, she really is doing wonderfully.

I bet every other artist would kill for these numbers.

from DM

Concert grosses for ALL show up to NY have now been released.....Glendale, Arizona was a huge hit, grossing just under $4.9 million for two shows, with 2 sellouts!

Hartford and Fresno did not fare as well, and will most definitely be the lowest grossing cities on the U.S. tour. Hartford grossed about $ 3.4 million for 2 shows and Fresno grossed $3.75 million for 2 shows. The worst part about these 2 cities, was that over the 2 nights at each venue, Madonna only drew about 10,000 people at each of these 4 shows (Both venues hold at least 14,000-16,000 people)......

The ENORMOUSLY successful CONFESSIONS TOUR has now grossed nearly $50 Million in the U.S., and that is before 6 sellout nights in NY, 3 nights in Boston, 2 nights in Philadelphia and Miami and Atlantic City.....

Why phrase it that they didn't "fare as well"? They sold out, how much better can they do?!? Of course the grosses are going to be lower in smaller areas, and/or when she does less shows at a venue!

Guest jamesshot
from DM

Concert grosses for ALL show up to NY have now been released.....Glendale, Arizona was a huge hit, grossing just under $4.9 million for two shows, with 2 sellouts!

Hartford and Fresno did not fare as well, and will most definitely be the lowest grossing cities on the U.S. tour. Hartford grossed about $ 3.4 million for 2 shows and Fresno grossed $3.75 million for 2 shows. The worst part about these 2 cities, was that over the 2 nights at each venue, Madonna only drew about 10,000 people at each of these 4 shows (Both venues hold at least 14,000-16,000 people)......

The ENORMOUSLY successful CONFESSIONS TOUR has now grossed nearly $50 Million in the U.S., and that is before 6 sellout nights in NY, 3 nights in Boston, 2 nights in Philadelphia and Miami and Atlantic City.....

She is saturating the market in the west and northeast with nothing really considered "south" beyond Miami( yes I am bitter). She would certainly have sold out mulitple shows in Houston or Dallas or St. Louis. Not too mention she would have grossed a lot more in either Houston or/especially Dallas.

her promoters take all nights for a location and then claim a sell out by saying that was all tickets that were available - note that billboard never says how many tickets per night - just the total per venue - which is the info they receive from the promoter

she is doing great - but the numbers are suspect

Should she have done so many many shows in the NY area? And was Fresno a mistake? Would she have been better playing a couple of shows in Toronto(where demand would have been huge) and say Houston or Atlanta?

Guest Hafo

People, for reporting purposes the concert has SOLD OUT so far in every freaking venue, even Fresno. The same rule to calculate gross/sold outs applies to EVERY artist, not only Madonna, and I truly believe Billboard checks the info reported by the promoters with the venues and ticketing agencies; otherwise all concerts would be reported as sold out.

Guest boytoyville
Should she have done so many many shows in the NY area? And was Fresno a mistake? Would she have been better playing a couple of shows in Toronto(where demand would have been huge) and say Houston or Atlanta?

All the shows have been sellouts! The routing for this tour was just fine. If anything I think she should have done more shows in Canada. Perhaps a 4 night stand at the Bell-Centre would have been a good idea. She set a record time selling out the first two shows there. Suprising since she did three shows in Toronto for Re-Invention. I don't think she has a huge audience in the bible belt so I don't know if anywhere in Texas is a great idea...especially since Bush is from Texas and all.

So total by now (June 26 latest included):

Madonna already did 20 concerts (well... a few more by now) that were watched by 266.251 persons and grossed $49.543.333

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Guest jamesshot
All the shows have been sellouts! The routing for this tour was just fine. If anything I think she should have done more shows in Canada. Perhaps a 4 night stand at the Bell-Centre would have been a good idea. She set a record time selling out the first two shows there. Suprising since she did three shows in Toronto for Re-Invention. I don't think she has a huge audience in the bible belt so I don't know if anywhere in Texas is a great idea...especially since Bush is from Texas and all.

Madonna has always been huge in Texas. She did NOT have trouble selling out Houston and Dallas for Blonde Ambition or Whos that Girl. She would not only sell out mulitple dates in Houston and Dallas now, she would have made a HELL of a lot more money than she did in Fresno or Pheonix!