The best live vocals of "4 Minutes"!

Crystal Coffin

Guest Madonna Bowie Prince

Im thankful that she got the training for Evita, but it was also a curse in disguise. She delivered great vocals because of that training (You'll See, Ray of light etc) but I miss that husky voice of the early 90s. When she sung Bad Girl on SNL she sounded amazing, really soulful, the Evita training totally diminished her lower register.

Now she just sings like a crow....

Evita fucked everything up. Give me Minnie Mouse on Helium anyday.

Ugh I know. She can still sound really good with some songs, but as a whole I agree. Just look at how great she sounded just starting out in a shit club here. I miss that voice. It had soul and passion to it damnit!

Guest Madonna Bowie Prince

Ugh I know. She can still sound really good with some songs, but as a whole I agree. Just look at how great she sounded just starting out in a shit club here. I miss that voice. It had soul and passion to it damnit!

What a great vocal performance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8c8R2gQ3RE

She sings amazingly well here.

NIPPSIG.jpg

Ugh. Fuck Glee. I wish Ryan Murphy was able to get Madonna for this show before it went off the air. I remember years ago when rumors were swirling that she was going to do the show. I was squirting all over the place at the time. :gross:

I don't understand why people hated her vocals on Sticky + Sweet. I thought "You Must Love Me" and "Like A Prayer" in particular were absolutely first-rate. Maybe it was just the show I attended, but those two sound great on the live CD as well ... ?

This song should never perform LIVE. It's just embarrasing.

I love the song itself, but you're right. It did not translate well live IMO. I really hate live duets anyway unless the other party is actually there to sing it.

What about here then?

Okay, so you win -- but if you want to nitpick, Justin's vocals weren't PITCH PERFECT everywhere here, either. Even in the verses -- where he should have the vocal advantage over M -- he hits a bum note here and there (the 'move' on "And you know I can tell that you like it by the way that you move.") -- and his "don't be a primadonna" lines are just as cringe-worthy as hers. But whatever. Don't forget that the rumors were that M didn't really want "4 Minutes" to be the big lead-off single. She was all up in the "Candy Shop" -- which she sang well live as the opener. Her chart instincts were off, but in terms of what works live? She was on target. (Most fans do feel that "Candy Shop" was much-improved live -- even if people don't like that song or think it was a good concert-opener, they generally will admit that the live version is punchier than the album version.)

Since she is now a touring artist I don't understand how she doesn't think primarily of how this will sound live and sing with that in mind. The presumably rushed "Hey You" was seemingly one time where she had something simple and unadorned enough to be able to sing very accurately live. Not that I'm suggesting she should do more songs like THAT, but that at least shows how promising she could sound if she did follow this method and cut down on the processed, unrealistic vocals. Sounding as off pitch as that "4 Minutes" is just bizarre. :confused:

I think she is thinking about the live experience more in the studio now -- which is why something like "Spanish Lesson" even ended up on an album in the first place, instead of in the vault. She was all about that percolating dance or whatever it was called. However misguided, she is thinking about the live performance. "4 Minutes" is keyed low, but so is "Like It or Not" and "Jump" -- bits of "Let It Will Be" dip into the danger zone, too. We don't truly want her to only record songs that she can easily reproduce live, do we? Eventually she'd be confined to only a few notes. She stretches herself live -- with varying results.

:confused: Those are the ALTERED vocals.

"You Must Love Me" didn't sound altered to me at all. "Like a Prayer" was altered but I've no idea why -- I don't think that live vocal sounded poor, really.