The best live vocals of "4 Minutes"!

Crystal Coffin

I hate to say this but....do people really go to a Madonna concert to hear amazing vocals? I love Madonna's concerts but I'd be lying if I said that her vocals in concert are spectacular.

:lmao: I don't know why she insists on recording songs that force her to sing in such a low voice. They're impossible to perform live, unless you just stand in one place the whole time.

What about JUMP? That one particularly is heavy on the lower register. I can't remember if that one was good, but I don't remember it being an obvious carcrash or anything like this.

If anything, you'd think for her singing low notes live would be easier than high notes, as that is her comfortable register. But ever since Evita things changed completely, and her upper register became more fluent, but her lower and mid registers were damaged. :(

What about JUMP? That one particularly is heavy on the lower register. I can't remember if that one was good, but I don't remember it being an obvious carcrash or anything like this.

If anything, you'd think for her singing low notes live would be easier than high notes, as that is her comfortable register. But ever since Evita things changed completely, and her upper register became more fluent, but her lower and mid registers were damaged. :(

Evita fucked everything up. Give me Minnie Mouse on Helium anyday.

Edited by EFMT

Good GOD, that was...I'm speechless. No wonder so many people still say the bitch can't sing. OK, now I need to put in "The Girlie Show" DVD to remind myself why I love this woman.

Guest Madonna Bowie Prince

It wasn't too bad when you consider how upbeat the Sticky and Sweet tour was, how much she was dancing, and the fact 4 minutes was one of the last songs on the setlist.

Edited by Madonna Bowie Prince

It wasn't too bad when you consider how upbeat the Sticky and Sweet tour was, how much she was dancing, and the fact 4 minutes was one of the last songs on the setlist.

And also considering that this performance does not feature 'live' vocals from JT or Timbaland -- so the disparity between her raw vocals next to the studio-polished vocals from Justin seems all the wider.

"Jump" on CT wasn't too bad, although she sounded a bit flat at times. "Like It or Not" was also keyed a little low for her -- I *love* the performance of LION on CT, but I will admit that when I saw it live, the first couplet was almost inaudible to me (and the friend with whom I saw it -- so it wasn't just me). But I forgive M for everything -- it's so hard to hear anything 'perfectly' when you're in the live venue anyway. That's why it's always a bit of a distortion to listen to any of her tour vocals in isolation like this -- there's so much other 'noise' in the venue, plus a song like '4 Minutes' sounds like a tank, production-wise... Her vocals, although far from perfect, didn't sound that bad when you're actually present in the arena.

:lmao:

PLEASE

Did you read all my post?

Do you realize how hard it is to sing and dance for one song let alone a full concert?

Oh come on, sounding like that is inexcusable. Of course I read all your post. There's only so many of these old excuses you can keep coming up with. She's danced heavily in ALL of her concerts, but has never sounded like THAT before. :blink:

I love most of her bad live vocals. I used to loathe that live version of "Take A Bow", but now I love it. I think not having a polished "sounds like the records" live voice can be a good thing, it can take some getting used to but at least it's different and raw sounding and you know it's live.

I draw the line at "4 Minutes" though. :sneaky:

Oh come on, sounding like that is inexcusable. Of course I read all your post. There's only so many of these old excuses you can keep coming up with. She's danced heavily in ALL of her concerts, but has never sounded like THAT before. :blink:

Yeah the vocals were really bad but when you consider the context then it's understandable that her voice could tire out. Not that I mind because I don't go to a Madonna concert for amazing vocals but as you said she doesnt sound like this all the time so its not that bad to me, she's delivered way better. I'd rather her give a full high energy performance than her singing her shitty evita songs.

In all honesty she has sounded bad to abysmal live and on record for the past 2 years, continuing a vocal delcine which was at least tolerable before. I'm actually really worried for her new stuff. :(:shy:

I aren't overly familiar with Sticky & Sweet Tour but I was not that impressed by how she sounded, a definite step down from Confessions which itself wasn't that good, especially compared to RIT where she sounded great.

There are other factors of course - now she's older her voice isn't obviously likely to be as good. But I think the problem with her live was she always surpassed her limitations in the studio, giving her songs she couldn't possibly recreate live - autotuning, singing in registers too low or high for her etc.

Since she is now a touring artist I don't understand how she doesn't think primarily of how this will sound live and sing with that in mind. The presumably rushed "Hey You" was seemingly one time where she had something simple and unadorned enough to be able to sing very accurately live. Not that I'm suggesting she should do more songs like THAT, but that at least shows how promising she could sound if she did follow this method and cut down on the processed, unrealistic vocals. Sounding as off pitch as that "4 Minutes" is just bizarre. :confused:

- Those who think it's not that bad all the time should think again, this is the soundboard recording of her mic.

It's not how we hear it when 'in the mix' at the venue.

- I think the Sticky was the absolute worst of the worst in terms of her vocals.

- In part it could b cuz she's fooling her body, she may work 2 much/work out a lot 2 b in shape but she's also pushing her body

this is reflected in her way tired voice..

- She's 'lazy', I mean really is it that hard 2 change the key 4 Borderline, or r her musical directors afraid 2 tell her how 2 sing

cuz she's 'The Madonna'?..honestly what goes on in her head when she hears her voice when in post production 4 her DVD's.. :lmao:

- At this point her live singing is like her acting :lol:

- God I love her.