What will be Madge's signature song

kangarooz

MJ's music died out but his notoriety- for all the wrong reasons- was still very strong through the 90's and til his death.

Yeah, no doubt she remained relevant by growing as an artist moreso than MJ. On a purely commercial level though, he may have underperformed with his last few studio albums but only because he's MJ. He still shifted many copies of his new releases though, even Invincible did 8 or 9 million worldwide if I remember correctly. There was quite a bit of hype surrounding the This Is It shows even before he passed so I think the public may still have been open to some new GOOD music from him.

Guest Corazon

Well I was watching a TOP 40 countdown of Madonna (public voting) and Material Girl was Number One, But I think Like a Virgin is Madonna's signature song.

It's hard to pinpoint but it would probably be either Holiday, Like A Virgin, Vogue, Ray of Light, Music, or maybe Hung Up.

ROL, Music & HU are fan favorites. The signature song will be either LAV or Vogue... maybe Like A Prayer, I'm guessing it will likely be Vogue.

I think it'll be Like A Prayer. And one would be proud to have that song as your "signature song". but it could also be holiday, which is an awesome song as well.Fuck, thers just soo many! Who else at her age, a solo artist, has so many potential future "signature songs"? Love this woman

Guest Coked Up Baby Boy

Like MJ, i think her signature song will be one that ties in with an iconic video.

MJ had many songs they could say were his signature, but i don't think you can look past Thriller the song and video as his biggest siganture "moment". Combined they were just too much.

As for Madonna, i think her video/song tie in would be Vogue. The dance, the images in the video, ect.

Guest nothingfails0603

I think Madonna has already gone into the zeitgeist as one of those artists like The Beatles, Elvis, Michael Jackson, The Rolling Stones, Elton John, Stevie Wonder, Barbra Streisand, U2 and a few others who have had so many memorable hits in their career that you can't just pick one song that is their defining signature moment. I think she had seven songs that kinda vie for that catagory: Holiday, Like A Virgin, Material Girl, Into The Groove, Like A Prayer, Vogue and Ray Of Light, and of course there are a number of others that can be considered as well.

Regarding Man In The Mirror, I don't consider it so much one of MJ's signature songs (not like Thriller, Billie Jean, Beat It, Smooth Criminal...) but I think it's popularity in the aftermath of MJ's death was because it was the right song of his to feel emotional listening to in the days and weeks following his death, and millions of music fans were mourning his death and that song was perfect for the occasion (kinda like how Imagine went to #1 in the UK as a result of Lennon's death and My Sweet Lord when George Harrison died).

"Man in the Mirror" took on new meaning with MJ's passing- it was never onee of his most-played recurrents in the USA, but when he passed, that song enjoyed the biggest spike in airplay and shot up near the top.

Madge has more than one "signature" songs- of course, LAV and MG are two often associated with her. But, also Holiday, LAP, Vogue, etc. Many tracks on The Immaculate Collection, one could argue (sans JML and RM).

Guest groovyguy

Madge has more than one "signature" songs- of course, LAV and MG are two often associated with her. But, also Holiday, LAP, Vogue, etc. Many tracks on The Immaculate Collection, one could argue (sans JML and RM).

Agree. Also Ray of Light, Music and Hung Up!

madonna's not like the others. she has too many to mention. which is why shes up with the beatles and elvis while shes STILL ALIVE.

Burning Up.

Guest bluejean

Holiday

Like A Virgin

Material Girl

Into The Groove

Like A Prayer

Express Yourself

Vogue

Ray Of Light

Music

Hung Up

Apart from the obvious Like A Prayer, I think even though it's not a #1 smash Ray Of Light could catch on upon her death because lyrically it fits. Plus it has that classic universal feel to it.

Personally I can't see Madonna dying a tragic death or dying until she is past 80. So for that reason I'm afraid we won't see her celebrated at death in the huge way MJ or Elvis were. She'll be at an age where people expect her to die.

I think the public will rally around one of her hits and that will be remembered as the signature - I doubt it will be "Like A Virgin" although she will definitely have that as part of her legacy. I think "Man in the Mirror" is poignant for MJ because he was largely a tragic figure who died an untimely death. Madonna will leave this planet as a triumphant monument to self-will, not an object of sympathy - unless she has a protracted fight with cancer or something. I think her signature hit will be something dance-able, positive and uplifting. She doesn't seem to feel sorry for herself much (like MJ) - I doubt she will want us to grieve her too long.

I can see them playing a lot of "Don't Cry for Me..." or "Take A Bow" though.

Guest nothingfails0603

Personally I can't see Madonna dying a tragic death or dying until she is past 80. So for that reason I'm afraid we won't see her celebrated at death in the huge way MJ or Elvis were. She'll be at an age where people expect her to die.

I feel the same way. I think her death will certainly be news and a big deal, but I think it'll be more similar to when Frank Sinatra died. Sinatra was well into his 80's and interest was rekindled in his music, but it didn't have that "where were you when you heard Frank died?" feel to it the way it did Lennon, Elvis and MJ did because he died at an age where it was expected and while his fans were sad at the news, it wasn't seen as some tragic life cut short. Same has happened many times in the past ten years when a number of legendary Hollywood stars have left us... Paul Newman, Marlon Brando, Katherine Hepburn, etc... All legends who left behind many classic performances, but they lived long lives and their passings weren't treated with the same media obsession a younger actor like Heath Ledger got, because someone like Paul Newman was expected to die that year, Heath came out of nowhere and shocked the hell out of the world.

What an UTTERLY DEPRESSING thread - it's as though you're willing her to die so that you can find out. I suggest you shift your attention to getting a life rather than wondering about someone who's done something with theirs, dying.

:megamanson:

Think you are taking it a bit seriously! Just stared a thread and now you condemn my whole life?!

I feel the same way. I think her death will certainly be news and a big deal, but I think it'll be more similar to when Frank Sinatra died. Sinatra was well into his 80's and interest was rekindled in his music, but it didn't have that "where were you when you heard Frank died?" feel to it the way it did Lennon, Elvis and MJ did because he died at an age where it was expected and while his fans were sad at the news, it wasn't seen as some tragic life cut short. Same has happened many times in the past ten years when a number of legendary Hollywood stars have left us... Paul Newman, Marlon Brando, Katherine Hepburn, etc... All legends who left behind many classic performances, but they lived long lives and their passings weren't treated with the same media obsession a younger actor like Heath Ledger got, because someone like Paul Newman was expected to die that year, Heath came out of nowhere and shocked the hell out of the world.

I totally agree.

Her signature song would be Like a Prayer.

It's good to see many Ray Of Light mentions... I feel like that song kinda came and went initially, and I think if it's a contender for a signature song now, it's because of M's insistance on performing it every chance since its release.

Guest bluejean

It's good to see many Ray Of Light mentions... I feel like that song kinda came and went initially, and I think if it's a contender for a signature song now, it's because of M's insistance on performing it every chance since its release.

It's also the title track of her most critically acclaimed album. Even though it wasn't one her biggest hits, it was a defining moment for her. So it still stays in people's minds.

Guest bluejean

I suggest you shift your attention to getting a life rather than wondering about someone who's done something with theirs

:lmao: Coming from someone who spends a good portion of their life mocking Kylie Minogue

she just has WAY too many massive, groundbreaking hits for it to come down just to 1 or even 2 . A lot of it is opinion too. I'd say casual/ non loon fans would prob name the usual suspects Holiday, LAV, MG, LAP or Vogue.