Remember all the times Alison Goldfrapp used to SLAM Madonna

Queen Bitch

Oh and while I'm at it, Alison's shit is 10000 times better than anything that whore Roisin ever put her name too.

And yes Head First wasn't great but it still had splashes of brilliance. The other 4 albums are are fabulosities (remixed) though.

Guest nothingfails0603

I don't see how Katy ever was a poser. At all. Or Ke$ha even. All they've ever even claimed to be are pop stars.

Allison meanwhile, blathers on about how she doesn't steal, she does things in a POST-MODERN WAY :rotfl:

I think you're right. Katy and Ke$ha are unabashed about what and who they are. I think I just don't like seeing people who don't even know Goldfrapp bashing her being a "nobody" when they don't even know one of her songs (and if they do, it's probably Rocket or Ooh La La or something really generic pop from them). For the past ten years people have been so hung up on how Madonnaesque Britney and Gaga are and I think Alison is closer to the real deal than those two have ever gotten (don't get me wrong, Gaga and Britney have given us some great pop singles). True she is an obnoxious bitch, but isn't that what we loved about Madonna in the 90's? Madonna wasn't nice, she spoke her mind and didn't care if she offended people. So many people go on about how they miss that in the post-Kaballah post-motherhood days of Madge but yet Alison isn't allowed to be like that?

I think she's more like Bjork, Tori, Kate, Sia, PJ, Grace and others who are more alternative "divas" who really make it off a cult following and critical acclaim as opposed to living off what number their album is on Billboard or how high their songs are on iTunes, so for that it seems odd that a few people who don't even listen to her (at least acko, Suedey, Crystal Coffin, GSM, Cubby and you among a few others have professed yourselves as liking her music so the ribbing is something different) are attacking her for not having the success that Beyonce or Gaga have.

I was a big fan of Goldfrapp up to and including Black Cherry. Then kind of fell off the wagon completely after Supernature. I don't think how many records they have sold is at all relevant. Why do people always bring dumb shit like that into discussions? What most people are saying about Alison is wrong. It's as simple as this: she is a grumpy, irritable and miserable middle aged Bitch. I couldn't care less whether or not she likes Madonna. She doesn't dictate my taste in music either way.

Dumb shit eh? No sales = no record contract. That's why they've been dropped. Sales matter and this band was hyped and a critics favourite but it didn't transfer into sales. And as I said previously, Goldfrapp could have had an overlap of fans with Madonna and bad mouthing her isn't too bright.

I like some of her stuff - love the Penguin Prison Remix of Rocket. I think she was more commercial than Moloko whose unremixed tracks were unconventional.

I'm talking about music. I don't work as a record executive so sales don't matter to me at all. Goldfrapp made some amazing music (mainly first 3 albums) but I would say Roisins 'Mommas place' alone is better than anything recent from Goldfrapp. Goldfrapp lost it becaus they didn't know how to explode their creativity into someething commercially viable. They tried to do it and ended up with the result of Supernature. With that result they shocked themselves into a Muted (no record label related pun intended) folllow up which left their music feeling stale. They had intrigue, a solid fanbase and a sense of credibility that they just don't have anymore.

Dumb shit eh? No sales = no record contract.

Exactly.

I'm sure Goldfrapp had made lots of good music but if they can't bring in $$$, who's gonna pay their salary, the rental, the operation cost etc?

What's this 'first three albums' bollocks? Seventh Tree is an amazing album, people here were RAVING about it when it leaked here; Superstar even suggested changing the forum name to Goldfrappnation! And it was a (Goldfrapp sized) hit wasn't it? I think it even debuted quite high in the States if I remember.

Their last was the only major dissapointment as far as I'm concerned.

I've just read an interview with AG from a couple of months ago and she felt sorry for Madonna being called 'Oldfrapp' and that the press seem to want to pit women against each other.

Also she said she wasn't very happy and not in a good place when she was recording previous albums so perhaps it was an off the cuff remark about Madonna.

What's this 'first three albums' bollocks? Seventh Tree is an amazing album, people here were RAVING about it when it leaked here; Superstar even suggested changing the forum name to Goldfrappnation! And it was a (Goldfrapp sized) hit wasn't it? I think it even debuted quite high in the States if I remember.

It was alright but it didn't blow me away. I never felt an urge to listen to it more than a few times.

Guest Madonna Bowie Prince

Ugh, I can't stand her. I still have no idea why people always sing her praises, she doesn't pay hommage with her songs - being inspired is one thing but ripping off is another.

I agree with you. I know it wasn't all glitter and fairy dust dance music for their core audience, but I think it was a good effort. Their previous two records were like soda pop and Seventh Tree was like broccoli - still tasty but not a sugary rush. I very much appreciated the new direction and introspective lyrics.

I am gonna admit that Head First has grown on me a little more in the past few months, but I still feel like they were trying to reclaim lost (commercial) ground by making 80's style dance pop. However, the album does have some fine moments and I am still looking forward to whatever they do next. They are a pretty creative act (musically) in this day and age.