Has Madonna ever dissappointed you?

karbatal

The ONLY time I was disappointed by Madonna was when she pulled the "American Life" video. That was such a chicken shit move on her part. I still get pissed when I think about it. Other than that, LOVE Madonna!

She received threats from people. They said that they would kill her children because they thought she was sending an anti Muslim message. The ironic thing is that the video was probably more anti American than anti Muslim. I'd hardly say Chicken Shit.

None of her albums have been bad yet, but Hard Candy was too below her standards though, and that whole era was just a turn off looking at promotion and single choices.

I'd agree with you on that. I mean, there are some good songs on Hard Candy but I guess I just didn't get into that particular direction musically.

I'd never be disappointed over anything done by a PAP STAH :lmao:

Why not? It's not as if you fall into depression, but having some expectations and later find that they are not fulfilled is very normal.

1. Did not release more singles for the Music album

2. Did not add new songs on GHV2 (I was expecting 3 new songs)

3. Convinced Guy to give her the role in Swept Away and gave a bad performance

4. She used to produce songs for movies in between albums but hasn't done that for a while.

5. Hard Candy is disappointing

6. Could have added more new songs to Celebration (at least 2 more)

7. Could have released b-sides to her singles

8. Lazy video for her songs.

9. Not spending time to promote her albums and singles.

I'm a Muslim and no that video isn't anti-Muslim at all, what's wrong with people :rotfl:

Idiots. They got the idea before the video had even been premiered, merely judging on the fact that she was a white American. Obviously clips of the video had been replaced such as her weairng US army Camo clothes and Muslim representations. She made a press statement explaining that she is not anti war/anti America or Anti anything but just pro peace. I remember when she explained the original treatmeant for the video. The story of a superhero girl full of people who didn't care. :wow: That IS Madonna. :bow:

1. Did not release more singles for the Music album

2. Did not add new songs on GHV2 (I was expecting 3 new songs)

3. Convinced Guy to give her the role in Swept Away and gave a bad performance

4. She used to produce songs for movies in between albums but hasn't done that for a while.

5. Hard Candy is disappointing

6. Could have added more new songs to Celebration (at least 2 more)

7. Could have released b-sides to her singles

8. Lazy video for her songs.

9. Not spending time to promote her albums and singles.

:clap:

What has dissapointed me is the whole Hard Candy era, The Sticky and Sweet Tour, not wanting to perform Holiday on the last two tours and the second leg of the S&S tour doesn't count LOL, and not wanting to perform a true greatest hits tour. I understand wanting to move forward with new music but her past work is part of her legacy. Other than that she just does what she does and it doesn't really bother me. Maybe another hair color other than blond would be interesting.

why?

Because it is such a boring and tired complaint!!! I totally dislike dear Jessie but I don't raise the same complaint at every single opportunity. The kind of complaints that people obsess over just seems totally silly in my eyes.

Because it is such a boring and tired complaint!!! I totally dislike dear Jessie but I don't raise the same complaint at every single opportunity. The kind of complaints that people obsess over just seems totally silly in my eyes.

I feel like it's kinda weird to sit around disapointed by something.

I don't get it either. I mean I can understand that you wouldn't like an artists every move, but to repeatedly say the same things that you dislike about an artist on a forum dedicated to them just seems a bit...odd to me. You know?

Yes, of course I have been disappointed. Many times, in fact. She has had such a long career that you'd have to be a bit blind (or, perhaps, in denial) to say that you loved absolutely everything she's produced -- albums, singles, videos, tours, films, commercials, books.

But, looking at the things that I have been disappointed by, virtually all of them fall under one of two categories: 1) her record labels' malfeasance or 2) the 2000s.

In regard to the former, I want to state up front that I think that Madonna has been extraordinarily well-served by her labels throughout the years. Both Sire and Warner stuck with her through episodes in which lesser labels would have blinked -- Like a Prayer, Justify my Love, Erotica / Sex. These labels weathered the storm of public criticism even through sales slumps, and we should recognize that. But they still did misfire on a number of occasions.

We can all quibble about "Into the Groove" not getting a proper single release or "Nothing Really Matters" getting dropped without real promotion, but neither of these instances had any major impact on her career. The release of "American Life" very much did, though. This is where I am perhaps most disappointed.

The release of "American Life" was a train wreck. I will be the first to admit that it was a pretty poor album -- at the time of its release, Madonna herself admitted that her heart wasn't really in it -- so perhaps not much could have been done here to save the project. But it was truly damned by the internal strife at Warner Bros. at the time. The label was in dire straights financially and its parent company was having a very public debate about selling it off. It was a pretty bad time to be at Warner. So, to choose this moment of chaos to release an album from its biggest artist seems ill-advised to say the least. To actually listen to the album and then listen to Madonna talk about it -- "Why release an album now?" "My contract says I have to every two years." -- makes me wonder if there were any adults in the room when the decision was made. This release destroyed her radio career in the States, and there's no getting it back at this point. This is a major disappointment, but I blame the label more than the artist.

I do blame Madonna for the half-heartedness of future musical projects, though. She seemed desperate to get things back on track after "American Life" tanked, and she put real effort into the release of "Confessions." It was, in my mind, one of the best-executed releases of her career. The single, the video, the look, the persona she adopted -- It was fabulous. It smacked of "old school" Madonna. But then all "Sorry" got was a half-baked video. "Get Together" and "Jump" barely got that. I got the feeling at the time that she saw the sales coming in and realized that, while bigger than "American Life," it wasn't going to return her to "Music"-sized glory, so she just decided to drop it for a few months and then go on tour.

"Hard Candy" played out much the same way. Though the overall release was a bit scatterbrained, there's no denying it shot out of the gate with a huge lead single. But again, after that initial interest, she seemed bored and disappointed with it all until she went on tour.

Looking at the projects back-to-back, it looks like the work of an aging diva desperately searching for her glory days. Especially "Hard Candy."

I will admit, there are moments when listening to "Confessions" that make me feel as though she really wanted to make good music, not just generate hits. But there's really none of that on "Hard Candy." It's a Timbaland / Pharell production, featuring Madonna. It's good Timbaland and Pharell music at times, but it is never Madonna music. That disappoints me. A lot.

I get the sense post-"Hard Candy" that she's realized she isn't going back to "Like a Prayer"- or "Ray of Light"-sized success. I think that's why she's taking time off to work on projects not related to her music. I hope that she approaches this next album with a peace of mind and a story to tell -- and that she seeks a producer that can help her tell that story, not a producer that can help her sell records. That's when she makes not just good, but great music.