BOW DOWN MOMENT: The Hung Up Video

Ai Papi Si.

uswbv0500519sc1.jpg

I loved it immediately upon first viewing and its in my top 10 favorite videos by Midge ever. Just when you thought she was gonna deliver something blah due to her horse riding injuries, she knocks it out of the ballpark - crotch shots, dancer legs, cougar-grinding, pain-killers, and Sally 'O Mally GALORE. It's gay as hell (but EVERYONE secretly loved this video and this song I assure you) and introduced us to Madonna's last (maybe) iconic image- the pink leotard. The leotard isn't as infamous as the cone bra or the wedding dress, but if you think about it, its just as enduring. She gave it her all and she was determined to make a splash and she did. For people who think the video wasn't such a big deal in retrospect - let me put it like this - at the TIME it was a huge deal. It was right before YouTube got big and this was one of the first videos people actually made parodies to. It was played EVERYWHERE, every TV channel, and the internet was full of MADONNA everywhere. It was so big that it practically sold the album - the song didnt do huge business at radio, so that wasn't really selling the song/album. The video did. I can't remember how much it sold the first week, but the sales were big. Hell, the video was what sold the song on iTunes. It was #1 for like 3 weeks I think? The whole thing was a huge success and well deserved - because the video was FIYAH. It made Mariah's dinky little USA comeback look like nothing for awhile.

It was the introduction of a newly confident middle aged Madonna, who prior, was stifled a bit by the pressure of being a Good English Lady for the husband. When 2005 rolled around I think she was ready to rock again, Vadge and all, and Guy Ritchie be damned...

I remember seeing the video for the first time in late 2005, I was moving house at the time and just sitting on the floor as stuff was being moved, mesmorised by an amazing looking Madonna in a pink leotard. :bow:

Guest northernlad

I'll never forget Damien Fahey on MTV implying she looked fat and out of shape after seeing the video for the first time. That really was retardation central.

Her last MOMENT OF GREATNESS in terms of videos. I still think FUCK OFF when people criticize the leotard and crotch in your face. It epitomizes EVERYTHING that put her where she is. :bow:

Especially considering that everyone and their mother started wearing them after that,

That was a magical moment. I think everyone in the states had to glue their eyes to the TV everyday just to see the video on TRL.

M's first retired video, Mariah's crapshot vid was retired on the same day, but was unable to kick M off the #1 spot!

This is where my MADONNA love story began , the Hung Up video :confessions:

blog2.jpg

When I first saw the video I thought it was one of her 80s songs because it sounded so retro and because of THAT FACE RIGHT THERE at the end of the video , I always feel I see the early years Madonna in it.

I remember the incredible reviews for the album. Surely one of her most acclaimed albums. the NME even stated "believe the hype, this is better than Ray of light!"

I remember the incredible reviews for the album. Surely one of her most acclaimed albums. the NME even stated "believe the hype, this is better than Ray of light!"

:shock::wow:

I like the SECOND HALF of the video... the part of her in the studio drags on too long for my taste

the choreography is LUSH though and it was the first taste of CLOUD

Indeed her last video of note.

COADF got some good acclaim, but not as much as ROL (or Music). But, strong album, nonetheless, and a step up from AL.

She had yet to reach 50 here, so she was still able to leave a lasting impression- on her own- with the youth culture. "4 Minutes" was pretty successful in the USA, but didn't have the impact that HU did (globally, really). Will she manage to do so in her 50s?

You know Salman, the premiere of the video at Malaysian time coincided with the day's iftar.

GO FIGURE THE EXCITEMENT :wow:

It was my first year in college and Madonna made it SUCH a good year :wow:

Guest Pud Whacker

I can't remember if it was the music video or the EMA performance that i saw first, but this is when i fell in love with her. for me, it was like she literally came from out of nowhere. :wow::wow::inlove:

blog2.jpg

cx_222-1.jpg

8867-1.jpg

lmadonna.jpg

madonnacartoon.jpg

fabulous on every level. love all the performances, the album, the tour - you name it. xo

I love the part where she simply struts her stuff down the street.

the strut is the BEST part of the vid... that bitch is FIERCE