Madonna concert buzz looks a lot like a prayer

TOUR2008

Madonna concert buzz looks a lot like a prayer

November 02, 2010

Madonna performs during her “Sticky & Sweet Tour” at the Wachovia Center (now Wells Fargo Center) in Philadelphia on Nov. 20, 2008. Although she has toured Japan and China, she has yet to perform in Korea. [AP/YONHAP]

The news that Madonna will hold her first concert in Seoul next May made headlines in the Korean media over the weekend.

But some Korean entertainment insiders are doubtful about whether she will really be able to add her name to the list of pop superstars that have come to Korea in recent years - names that include Beyonce, Billy Joel and Stevie Wonder.

On Spot E Korea, which claims to be the Korean branch of the U.S.-based firm On-Spot Enterprises, said on Sunday it has “finalized talks with Madonna to proceed with her concert in Seoul in May,” but that “details related to the concert date, schedule and security policies are still under discussion.”

It added that it had formed a partnership with Korean company Again Don Quixote in early October to prepare for the event.

But industry insiders say that On Spot E Korea’s announcement - which, at six months in advance of the actual dates, is much earlier than most concerts involving major-label pop stars - is a stunt to beat out local competitors, rather than being based on fact.

Koreans fans have waited a long time for a concert by the “Queen of Pop.” She has toured neighboring countries like Japan and China but has yet to come to Korea.

Given the revenue such a concert would bring, concert promoters have long fought to bring her here.

One possibility, according to a source well acquainted with the situation, is that On Spot E Korea has not actually finalized a concert deal but is buying time so that rival bidders will give up.

“The new firm has few funds and not much experience,” the source said. “The only way it could sign her would be to take advantage of the time vacuum to round up investors.”

On Spot E Korea has a history of canceling heavily publicized events. It was scheduled to hold an event called the “On Spot Hip Hop Festival” on Oct. 30, but it was cancelled less than two weeks before the festival. The company promoted the event by advertising the appearance of U.S. hip-hop stars such as T-Pain.

On Oct. 28, the company claimed that actor Kevin Bacon would show up at a press conference in Seoul the following day to announce he would be filming the movie “My Life, My Secret” in Korea. But only 30 minutes before the event was scheduled to begin, the company sent out a notice saying that it could not verify whether Bacon had gotten on a plane to Korea.

On Spot E Korea could not be reached for comment.

I love when concert rumors start popping up like this. Even if they might not be correct for the exactdetails, there is usually something in the works somehow. I really do think we are going to see a new album release come this Spring or late Spring and a concert there after. I hope so! :)

If her album comes out in Spring and the concert starts in May, then fuck me, we get another HC era, where it's just tour tour tour, recycled choreography and making money off concerts. No good music, no promo, no videos, no shit. I pray to the gods this is not true.

Laroux, you don't know that. Hard Candy might not have been my favorite album. But, I don't expect them all to be my favorite. Anyway...before writing her or her new music off, why not hear it first and then critic it instead of assuming the worst?

If her album comes out in Spring and the concert starts in May, then fuck me, we get another HC era, where it's just tour tour tour, recycled choreography and making money off concerts. No good music, no promo, no videos, no shit. I pray to the gods this is not true.

People don't spend money on music and TV doesn't show music videos anymore. What's the point of promoting singles? The singles market is fucked up. Going on tour is the main source for money nowadays. Blame it on technology but whose fault is that? It's us!

People don't spend money on music and TV doesn't show music videos anymore. What's the point of promoting singles? The singles market is fucked up. Going on tour is the main source for money nowadays. Blame it on technology but whose fault is that? It's us!

Music videos are back, ask Lady Gaga and Kanye West. Their videos have increased interest in their projects. Madonna may want to consider giving us another classic video.

Alas she's essentially a touring act now.

Music videos are back, ask Lady Gaga and Kanye West. Their videos have increased interest in their projects. Madonna may want to consider giving us another classic video.

I totally agree with you. I've been to clubs and when they played Lady GaGa's "Telephone" or "Bad Romance" videos EVERYONE stopped and watched them. Just like Madonna back in the day. There ARE artists out there making quality videos. FUSE is all about music videos and while they don't have the audience that MTV does, music video fans are paying attention.

As for Madonna, yeah she's gotten lazy where her videos are concerned but even her "Celebration" video has been enormously popular on YouTube.

I'm convinced Madonna still has some more great videos in her. Surely she has seen what Jonas Akerlund has done with Lady GaGa's songs.

You watch, Madonna's first video from her next album won't be some half-assed "Give It 2 Me" or "Jump".

I totally agree with you. I've been to clubs and when they played Lady GaGa's "Telephone" or "Bad Romance" videos EVERYONE stopped and watched them. Just like Madonna back in the day. There ARE artists out there making quality videos. FUSE is all about music videos and while they don't have the audience that MTV does, music video fans are paying attention.

As for Madonna, yeah she's gotten lazy where her videos are concerned but even her "Celebration" video has been enormously popular on YouTube.

I'm convinced Madonna still has some more great videos in her. Surely she has seen what Jonas Akerlund has done with Lady GaGa's songs.

You watch, Madonna's first video from her next album won't be some half-assed "Give It 2 Me" or "Jump".

I hope so

How is the singles market fucked up? Gaga has shifted around 20 million singles in the US alone. Eminem, Rhianna and Katy Perry also manage to shift decent amounts.

How is the singles market fucked up? Gaga has shifted around 20 million singles in the US alone. Eminem, Rhianna and Katy Perry also manage to shift decent amounts.

It's only fucked up for 50 somethings who's creative well has long since run dry. Elton John has just acknowledged the fact that he hasn't had a hit for five years and that he just can't compete with acts like Gaga :bow: He, like Madonna, kept it going in his early 50s by teaming up with younger stars but there's only so much of that an act can do.

It's only fucked up for 50 somethings who's creative well has long since run dry. Elton John has just acknowledged the fact that he hasn't had a hit for five years and that he just can't compete with acts like Gaga :bow: He, like Madonna, kept it going in his early 50s by teaming up with younger stars but there's only so much of that an act can do.

So why are you even posting here? Seriously, just leave this site. You're an annoying broken record. We get it - you think Madonna is past it. Big deal. Now fuck off.

Like Madonna would ever tour anywhere in Asia except Japan ha ha next she will play at one of the commonwealth games stadiums in the world's filthiest, currupt, sexist and racist country, India lol

Madonna is so over. She can't sell a song even though we are constantly begging for new music here. Her film is awful and I'm only going to her Hard Candy gyms if they play 24/7 Madonna mixes and have a gay cruising ground. She is so old and she doesn't make music videos like she used to anymore. She's just going to perform a concert to make more money and not give us a music video that is at least ten minutes long!!! Why won't she just do what we want?!!!!!!

:rotfl:

Queen bitch has to be somewhat an act. Nobody can be that ridiculous. Not even on the internet.

Madonna is so over. She can't sell a song even though we are constantly begging for new music here. Her film is awful and I'm only going to her Hard Candy gyms if they play 24/7 Madonna mixes and have a gay cruising ground. She is so old and she doesn't make music videos like she used to anymore. She's just going to perform a concert to make more money and not give us a music video that is at least ten minutes long!!! Why won't she just do what we want?!!!!!!

:rotfl:

Queen bitch has to be somewhat an act. Nobody can be that ridiculous. Not even on the internet.

I want Madonna to come on tribenation forum, so us Real Fans can tell her to just make songs that a friend of Dorothy would listen too....

Guest Coked Up Baby Boy

Old singers/bands always end up becoming touring acts. When Madonna is 60, what is everyone expecting? music videos of her all overly digitally airbrushed and dance songs hitting #1 with Ke$ha and Willow Smith not far behind :lol: i mean really.

She's doing great and she's concentrating on where she is actually able to make a proper impact, which is touring and album sales.

I think some fans are going to have real trouble accepting how Madonna's image/output changes as she gets older and older. It's been 30 years folks, and she's moving WELL into her mid 50's......it's not going to be 1989 forever.

I think some fans are going to have real trouble accepting how Madonna's image/output changes as she gets older and older. It's been 30 years folks, and she's moving WELL into her mid 50's......it's not going to be 18989 forever.

MmmmHmmm. Let them old queens know, CUBB! :queenbitch:

Old singers/bands always end up becoming touring acts. When Madonna is 60, what is everyone expecting? music videos of her all overly digitally airbrushed and dance songs hitting #1 with Ke$ha and Willow Smith not far behind :lol: i mean really.

She's doing great and she's concentrating on where she is actually able to make a proper impact, which is touring and album sales.

I think some fans are going to have real trouble accepting how Madonna's image/output changes as she gets older and older. It's been 30 years folks, and she's moving WELL into her mid 50's......it's not going to be 18989 forever.

Are you talking about the past or the future? :chuckle: I agree with the majority of what you said. I just don't think it's all about age. It's more about commerce, E commerce, sociographic happenstance and the like. Things change.

I think some fans are going to have real trouble accepting how Madonna's image/output changes as she gets older and older. It's been 30 years folks, and she's moving WELL into her mid 50's......it's not going to be 1989 forever.

:clap:

She's UNRIVALLED amongst HERITAGE ACTS.

It does amuse me that loons just can't accept that the greatest of creative wells run dry and every dog has its day, with a new puppy evetually replacing it. It happens with all fanbases though - I was on a Blondie forum recently and the loons were bemoaning the fact that their new album is being released in Australia ahead of the rest of the world. Like anyone gives a fuck or it's ever gonna sell/be rememberd like the stuff from their heyday :lmao: