The Deeper & Deeper Rehabilitation Thread

acko

Every single fan I know (in real life) loved it. I remember THE LOVE for the performance at the show.

My friends generally didn't mind it, but we'd have preferred an uptempo version :fag:

It's one thing 2 go 4 that genre but I think the arrangement 4 the RIT version was extremely lazy

& unimaginative..like a hotel piano bar set 2 a variation of Peggy Lee's bassline. She sang it well

but where's the fucking mojo? :thumbsdown:

My favoite part here changes to

'I can't keep from falling in love AND YOU KNOW IT' :dramatic:

I LOVE that little change in the vocals from this mix... When I first heard that mix, I got all excited about the "new" part!

I was 9 when I discovered this song. I was playing with my action figures and Deeper and Deeper was playing in the background :lol:

I love this song. It's amazing.

and of course... it has THE ULTIMATE BRIGE:

Agreed... definitely one of her best bridges!

Fuck him then. A house song? How boring and generic :snore: Madonna's judgement rules all. :fag:

And again, yes... Her instincts are spot on. Not only the flamenco, but CASTANETS, too! Love it.

I remember people loving this at the time of release but it was like a sugar rush and quickly faded... I come and go with it. I will obsess over it for months and then not play it again for a year. The video is PERCECT though *eats banana* even though it generally makes NO sense.

When I first heard that mix, I got all excited about the "new" part!

that's how I was when I heard the House Instrumental of Erotica that had the "You Thrill Me" pieces in it.... I was so excited at these unknown lines popping out of the stereo

that's how I was when I heard the House Instrumental of Erotica that had the "You Thrill Me" pieces in it.... I was so excited at these unknown lines popping out of the stereo

Oh, yes!! Me, too, with that mix of Erotica... I always get excited by outtake vocals or whatever they are getting included in a mix later on. It's like a special gift! Haha! :lol:

Guest Pud Whacker

dEEPER & dEEPER

Madonna20-20Deeper20And20Deeper205439-18639-4.jpg

Alright, now don’t come storming in here claiming it’s not really a ‘classic’ as such. Cuz

Really, chart succes & recurring airplay or a shocking lack thereof r not the be all & end all. It’s classic fucking Madonna, but not even GHV2 got it a favourable editorial line or two (sad face). Camille Paglia puts it on her top 10 Madonna list & I have my own coming of age with a strictly lesbian entourage connection 2 it. Although, upon giving my Erotica cassette its first play there was something about the synth & beat that hinted kylie (akin 2 ‘What Do I Have To Do’ & ‘Shocked’,..don’t get loud one reviewer agreed with me in print). Even so, Its lyric & melody are everything, they demand 2 b sung out loud. Written in the great disco tradition, as ever leading the way, bitch was early in reviving the era. :wow:

APPRECIATE..fags who hit puberty during the SEX book will so get this :

ANTHEM!

I also desperately call upon Ursaminorjim who writes an essay on the video like a motherfucker.

9012lw.jpg

But why she went & did it this way :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYguTQazVew

OH WELL..PARTY OVER HERE!!!!

its perfection in every incarnation. the original - with accompanying video - is absolute.

i was past puberty here - i was puberty during the first album. i was 22 years old here but it was perfection - down to the echo of - let your body move to the music, lets your body go with the flow.... - that was the punctuation mark.

one of my all-time favorite madonna songs AND videos. the sparkling highlight of the erotica album. this was when santa monica blvd. still had club kids and hustlers walking the blvd. madonna pulls over and talks and speaks to them. fabulous. great time in LA. xo

It's everything to me. I mean that. It literally made a massive impression on me as a 7 year old boy. I knew there was something about the song that I just couldn't resist. The video was brilliant. Mesmerising. I adore it completely.

I remember people loving this at the time of release but it was like a sugar rush and quickly faded... I come and go with it. I will obsess over it for months and then not play it again for a year. The video is PERCECT though *eats banana* even though it generally makes NO sense.

The banana part is an Andy Warhol reference. The video makes a lot of sense, as long as you know how to read it.

I don't get why it's gay though? I know that it's about a young boy discovering his sexuality but I only discovered that a few years ago so for the majority of my time, I just thought it was a dance song about falling in love by a woman. It's not a really gay-style production like Erasure or Kylie etc.

FABULOUS everything about it. I just hope I live the day of seeing a fierce performance of it.

Deeper and Deeper Rock Version :lol: Just kidding :scared:

It needs to be a fierce dance performance.

I don't get why it's gay though? I know that it's about a young boy discovering his sexuality but I only discovered that a few years ago so for the majority of my time, I just thought it was a dance song about falling in love by a woman. It's not a really gay-style production like Erasure or Kylie etc.

Gay narrative, gay production, gay sonically, gay visually. Gay, gay, GAY! For me, it's all very gay but in a much less tacky way. It addresses interesting parts of gay culture and growing up gay and still it's stylish, cool, interesting and fun. The scene where she's in the club is almost a modernisation of the early Danceteria stories. I guess it was somehow didicated to Mr. Flynn.

Exactly. It's gay but in a cool way. The gay that only Madonna could pull off. Not like the embarrassing (even if it was enjoyable) Kylie gay. Your disco Needs You comes to mind.

Deeper and Deeper

tumblr_l9q2r5S8FZ1qzwlqr.jpg

Albums: Erotica (1992), GHV2 - Greatest Hits Volume 2 (2001)

Songwriters: Madonna/Shep Pettibone/Tony Shimkin

Producers: Madonna/Shep Pettibone

“‘Deeper and Deeper,’ from the same album, lowered some of the upturned noses caused by the ‘Erotica’ single. But they were soon raised again when they discovered that the track was about a miner coming to terms with his homosexuality, ‘I can’t help falling in love, I fall deeper and deeper the further I go,’ he sings as he disappears into the dark shaft.” - Dan Cadan, only slightly joking, from the GHV2 liner notes

Miner metaphors aside, Deeper and Deeper may be Madonna’s single gayest track - or at the very least, her most unabashed attempt at recreating the string-heavy disco sound she was born half a decade too late for. And though it resembles Vogue, even quoting its euphoric final chorus to great effect, it’s not exactly a direct sequel. Instead of falling back on the era’s dominant house beats, Shep Pettibone’s production does what Stuart Price’s would fourteen years later: update disco for the (then-)present.

As perhaps the only overt pop song, and therefore the one truly commercial single on the Erotica album, Deeper and Deeper sounds like a contradiction on paper; what detractors would call a last-ditch sell-out to radio. And yet in classic Madonna fashion, it nails the sense of conflict at the heart of Erotica over one of her most danceable tracks ever, whilst maintaining her artistic vision - she notably insisted on including the flamenco guitar interlude, which, radio be damned, even gets a full, glorious airing on the single edits.

“I can’t help falling in love

I fall deeper and deeper the further I go

Kisses sent from heaven above

They get sweeter and sweeter the more that I know”

Though pop is filled with similarly lovestruck choruses, it’s not hard to see where Deeper and Deeper’s particular gay appeal stems from - it may be about a man she loves, but it deliberately reads like an argument for homosexuality as individual nature, not a choice. Whilst Celebration may have inadvertently summed up Madonna’s entire ethos with “If it feels good, then I say do it”, Deeper and Deeper - evoking Like a Prayer - even suggests God himself endorses homosexuality. Why resist what feels natural, and above all, right?

“Someone said that romance was dead

And I believed it instead of remembering

What my mama told me

Let my father mold me

Then you tried to hold me

You remind me what they said

This feeling inside

I can’t explain

But my love is alive

And I’m never gonna hide it again”

Furthermore, if your parents taught you the values of independence and intuition - “think with your heart, not with your head” - why not take that advice, even if they disapprove of homosexuality? As the song’s tension builds, it takes on an almost I Will Survive-like combination of celebration and determination (minus the camp), whether or not it’s directly about coming out. And though Madonna never quite had the vocal power to truly be one, her final, infinitely triumphant “never gonna hide it again” is one of her greatest diva moments on record.

So Deeper and Deeper was the obvious choice, the reassuringly danceable follow-up single to the controversial Erotica - yet it only peaked at #7 on the Hot 100. Why did such a predestined-sounding hit never quite make it big? Looking at the 1992/93 charts, R&B and ballads dominate - Whitney Houston’s cover of I Will Always Love You spent a mind-boggling 14 weeks at #1 - and the Erotica album was not so blatantly of its time, though it holds up far better than most of the time-stamped music of its era. With Madonna carving out her own, not-entirely-hip musical path, her star power alone was simply not enough (and never again would be), especially with the public backlash against her during the Sex era. It’s telling that in a time where Mariah Carey reigned, Madonna would have to conform to top the charts (albeit while producing excellent music) - the R&B-styled Take a Bow was her second-last ever #1 in 1995.

Director: Bobby Woods

The video for Deeper and Deeper is not so much deliberately uncommercial as totally unconcerned with MTV airplay. Perhaps the bigger problem is that although its treatment is a clear tribute to the ’60s and Andy Warhol, with Madonna as Edie Sedgwick (ironically, without eyebrows), it’s difficult to find any meaning in the visuals, or story in Madonna’s wanderings. There’s something impersonal about the whole affair - Madonna doesn’t lipsync, and barely looks at the camera bar a photoshoot scene - but for once, her makeover doesn’t feel like yet another extension of her personality. Nor is she reincarnating Edie Sedgwick like she did Marilyn Monroe in Material Girl; it feels like another person altogether, someone clearly enjoying herself, but hard to relate to. Seeing her under disco balls doesn’t make us feel like dancing. Nothing wrong with mildly baffling music video treatments

(Madonna
!), but this one just wasn’t compelling enough to work.

My favourite Madonna song. Absolute best, I love it. And the video is perfect, Im so glad Madonna didn't do a Vogue for the video to Deeper And Deeper. It's one of those videos I can watch over and over and never get bored. Really cool single. The song is classic, when Madonna was on top of her game.

The cameo of Chi Chi Larue also adds to the gay element. :p

Re Kylie- remember that Madonna's first dramatic reworking was "Like a Virgin" in 1990. Not sure if any other pop acts did so before then. After that, it kinda became common for pop acts to rework an older track. Before "Come into My World," Kylie reworked "Better the Devil You Know," "I Should Be So Lucky," etc.

Guest Pud Whacker

The cameo of Chi Chi Larue also adds to the gay element. :p

Re Kylie- remember that Madonna's first dramatic reworking was "Like a Virgin" in 1990. Not sure if any other pop acts did so before then. After that, it kinda became common for pop acts to rework an older track. Before "Come into My World," Kylie reworked "Better the Devil You Know," "I Should Be So Lucky," etc.

not to mention warhol 'superstar' holly woodlawn and a slew of others. xo

its perfection in every incarnation. the original - with accompanying video - is absolute.

i was past puberty here - i was puberty during the first album. i was 22 years old here but it was perfection - down to the echo of - let your body move to the music, lets your body go with the flow.... - that was the punctuation mark.

one of my all-time favorite madonna songs AND videos. the sparkling highlight of the erotica album. this was when santa monica blvd. still had club kids and hustlers walking the blvd. madonna pulls over and talks and speaks to them. fabulous. great time in LA. xo

Babe, will you please publish your memoirs some day? I've always loved your anecdotes about your life, Madonna and LA.

Guest Pud Whacker

Babe, will you please publish your memoirs some day? I've always loved your anecdotes about your life, Madonna and LA.

:lol: if you co-write it with me! xo