Movies NOT starring Madonna...

acko

I ve read somewhere Madonna was considered for Mamma Mia, but she turned it down (probably due to the fact she had to play older woman). The role went to Meryl, but she doesnt do great job as far as singing goes. Apart from that she was pretty amazing, though most people think she was too old for the part.

The fact that she turned down Chicago for THE NEXT BEST THING is just sad.

I agree.One of her biggest problems as an actress is,she doesn't always pick the best roles.'Chicago' was perfect for her because it's a musical...something that she's obviously good at.Instead,she does 'The Next Best Thing',which she was awful in.

The fact that she turned down Chicago for THE NEXT BEST THING is just sad. And The Fabulous Baker Boys would've been great for her, too.

She never turned down Chicago for The Next Best Thing.

She was going to do the film with Goldie Hawn and Rosie in 1998/99 but production was postponed and when they finally did it in 2002 she was too old for the part.

Guest nothingfails0603

I think she could've been fine in Mamma Mia (which admittedly wasn;t exactly Meryl's finest performance), but in that case, the whole "Madonna sings ABBA songs" thing would've overshadowed the movie itself, and for that reason I think it was better that they went with people who are strictly actors not associated with music.

The biggest regret has to be turning Ruthless People down to do Shanghai Surprise. Ruthless People basically cemented Bette Midler as a comedic actress (and much like Madonna, she fucked up big time with the movie Jinxed so early on, but was able to recover from it) and was a big box office hit, if Madge had done that instead of Shanghai Surprise, who knows the different trajectory her film career would've taken.

She never turned down Chicago for The Next Best Thing.

She was going to do the film with Goldie Hawn and Rosie in 1998/99 but production was postponed and when they finally did it in 2002 she was too old for the part.

I don't think she was too old. Wasn't there rumors that the director Rob Marshall doesn't like her.

INSPIRED BY THE GOODFELLAS THREAD & my longing 4 Madonna in a new starring role *sigh*

The Godfather: Part III

Madonna was considered for the role of Mary Corleone.

Actor who got the part: Sofia Coppola

Really? Never heard about that. And the idea of her playing the daughter of Diane Keaton and Al Pacino. :lol:

Joan of Arc (she's still thanked in the credits by Luc Besson)

Doesn't he thank Sting and Trudie Styler as well? I guess this has something to do with producing the movie in one way or the other. And isn't Madonna featured in the song that plays when the credits roll "My heart calling" sung by Noa. It totally sounds like her. I like the song it's haunting.

With each flop, Madonna's acting seem to have gotten worse and worse Her acting in the eighties wasn't nearly as bad or stiff as it was later on. It's almost as if all her box office failures made her even more self-conscious.

I don't think she was too old. Wasn't there rumors that the director Rob Marshall doesn't like her.

I don't remember such rumor, but probably when she was linked with it it was a different production. Goldie and Rosie were out of the picture too. Catherine Zeta-Jones was 33 years old when they did the film, Madonna was already 44 so yes, she was too old for the part.

Madonna couldn't have possibly fucked up Death Becomes Her or She-Devil. :madonna2:

I think Madonna could've pulled those two parts off easily.

Meryl is good but overrated. There are WAY better actresses out there.

Guest Topaz Scorpio

I don't remember such rumor, but probably when she was linked with it it was a different production. Goldie and Rosie were out of the picture too. Catherine Zeta-Jones was 33 years old when they did the film, Madonna was already 44 so yes, she was too old for the part.

She was hardly "too old" for the part when the actresses who originated the roles in the original Broadway production in 1975 were 50 (Gwen Verdon) and 42 (Chita Rivera).

The story with Madonna in the role as I remember it was that she had the part as Velma along with Goldie Hawn as Roxie. They were already attached to the project by the time Nicholas Hytner was brought in as director. HE felt that Goldie was too old for the role and cut her, replacing her with Charlize Theron. M supposedly got offended by this and dropped out of the project. Now it was around this time that she went on to make TNBT but if Chicago had moved forward in a direction she wanted then she likely would've continued with it.

Guest Topaz Scorpio

Wasn't she supposed to play Rachel Marron in The Bodyguard but got turned down after making fun of Kevin Costner in Truth Or Dare ?

Doubtful. The script for "The Bodyguard" had been laying around for years since the 70's when it was originally targeted as a project for Diana Ross and Steve McQueen. I believe that an African-American actress was always slated for the role of Rachel.

Doubtful. The script for "The Bodyguard" had been laying around for years since the 70's when it was originally targeted as a project for Diana Ross and Steve McQueen. I believe that an African-American actress was always slated for the role of Rachel.

Steve McQueen? Are you sure it wasn't Ryan O' Neal? He and Diana were dating in the late 70s and were planning to do a movie together.

Guest Topaz Scorpio

Steve McQueen? Are you sure it wasn't Ryan O' Neal? He and Diana were dating in the late 70s and were planning to do a movie together.

According to Wikipedia we're both right. It was orignally proposed in 1976 with McQueen and Ross and then again in 1979 with O'Neal and Ross.

I also see Wiki mentioning the Madonna rumor, but I don't think it's true based on the origins of the film and the fact that they blame TOD and her "neat" comment for costing her the role, but Costner wouldn't have known about that until TOD was released in May of 1991 and The Bodyguard started filming that same year, but who knows.

She was hardly "too old" for the part when the actresses who originated the roles in the original Broadway production in 1975 were 50 (Gwen Verdon) and 42 (Chita Rivera).

The story with Madonna in the role as I remember it was that she had the part as Velma along with Goldie Hawn as Roxie. They were already attached to the project by the time Nicholas Hytner was brought in as director. HE felt that Goldie was too old for the role and cut her, replacing her with Charlize Theron. M supposedly got offended by this and dropped out of the project. Now it was around this time that she went on to make TNBT but if Chicago had moved forward in a direction she wanted then she likely would've continued with it.

She said in Icon many times that she was going to do it, and even during an interview in Italy in 1998. In an Icon letter in 99 I believe she said the project was frozen but she was positive after Evita. Yes the Broadway production had older actors, but it's a different world. I don't believe the story about her dropping out because of the Hawn fiasco. She wanted to make that film badly.

Does anyone else remember rumors about a re-make of Cat on a Hot Tin Roof with M? I vaguely remember MTV reporting that in 1998 or 1999 -- but I also recall that was around the time of the Chicago rumors, too, so...

(Btw, Topaz, thanks for reminding me of the name of the Chicago director who didn't end up making the film -- and that Rosie was cast, too. I forgot that guy's name, and I also forgot that Rosie was to be Mama Morton... Queen Latifah did a great job, though; hard to imagine Rosie topping that performance, even though at the time she was riding a wave of popularity with her talk show and everything.)

As for Frida, remember when JENNIFER LOPEZ wanted to play it so badly :rotfl:

Salma even said at one point that she would rather have Madonna play the part than JLo...

The fact that she turned down Chicago for THE NEXT BEST THING is just sad. And The Fabulous Baker Boys would've been great for her, too.

I think this has been sufficiently dealt with now that I've read through the entire thread, but it's not exactly like that. She would have probably done Chicago if timing had worked out right -- but the film version was in the works since the early 80s (with Bob Fosse, who wanted Madonna -- but then he passed away and the project was left dormant for a long while)... When the project finally became viable again, Madonna was already committed to other things.

Doing WHAT? Meryl is EVERYTHING. Madonna was perfect..in the soundtrack.

:lol: (I do love Devil Wears Prada...)

Replacing Meryl in ANYTHING with Madonna is laughable.

In general, I might agree, but I was going to bring up Mamma Mia... Others already have, though, so I won't go into it. I never saw the movie, but I think Madonna could handle any musical without any difficulty.

I don't think Rob Marshall would have sent his female ensemble for the movie musical NINE to see M live on the Sticky & Sweet Tour if he dislikes her.

She said in Icon many times that she was going to do it, and even during an interview in Italy in 1998. In an Icon letter in 99 I believe she said the project was frozen but she was positive after Evita. Yes the Broadway production had older actors, but it's a different world. I don't believe the story about her dropping out because of the Hawn fiasco. She wanted to make that film badly.

I've always used that logic about Gwen Verdon and Chita Rivera (their ages when Chicago premiered on Broadway), too... But if I'm honest, I have to admit you're right. Film is different than stage. (Still, in some ways, film could theoretically be MORE forgiving than stage, because you can't pretend to do the dance moves and all that -- whereas they could do some tricky edits with a film.) Leaving that aside, I don't think the Hawn story is completely implausible. The director was detached from the project after she quit... He had no more cast, so he was let go, too. Their strategy may have worked, if not for Rob Marshall's successful pitch to Miramax. (He was called in to do the film version of "Rent," but he pitched his concept for "Chicago" and they loved it, so they gave it to him. So then it became a scheduling/timing issue. And that wasn't that many years after 1999, when she was still attached to the project. We're talking 2001 here -- because first day of filming was to be September 11, 2001 -- but that was obviously postponed because of what happened that day.)

I'm totally a broken record about Chicago -- always wished it would have worked out for her, not only because of my Madonna fandom, but I was mildly obsessed with the musical, too, when it was revived on Broadway in 1997/1998 (with Bebe Neuwirth, et al.). M would have been perfect, it would have been a perfect vehicle for her, especially coming off of Evita. I know it would have further put her in the 'film musical' niche, but considering the alternatives (ahem -- what her film career is now -- ahem), that's not such a bad thing.

Doesn't he thank Sting and Trudie Styler as well? I guess this has something to do with producing the movie in one way or the other. And isn't Madonna featured in the song that plays when the credits roll "My heart calling" sung by Noa. It totally sounds like her. I like the song it's haunting.

I don't know about the music..but I do remember her being mentioned in a possible Joan of Arc movie, years

before it got made..Jay Leno even cracked a joke about it on the Tonight Show

'Imagine the special effects they're gonne need for Madonna to play a virgin..'