Movies NOT starring Madonna...

acko

Guest Topaz Scorpio

I've always used that logic about Gwen Verdon and Chita Rivera (their ages when Chicago premiered on Broadway), too... But if I'm honest, I have to admit you're right. Film is different than stage. (Still, in some ways, film could theoretically be MORE forgiving than stage, because you can't pretend to do the dance moves and all that -- whereas they could do some tricky edits with a film.) Leaving that aside, I don't think the Hawn story is completely implausible. The director was detached from the project after she quit... He had no more cast, so he was let go, too. Their strategy may have worked, if not for Rob Marshall's successful pitch to Miramax. (He was called in to do the film version of "Rent," but he pitched his concept for "Chicago" and they loved it, so they gave it to him. So then it became a scheduling/timing issue. And that wasn't that many years after 1999, when she was still attached to the project. We're talking 2001 here -- because first day of filming was to be September 11, 2001 -- but that was obviously postponed because of what happened that day.)

I'm totally a broken record about Chicago -- always wished it would have worked out for her, not only because of my Madonna fandom, but I was mildly obsessed with the musical, too, when it was revived on Broadway in 1997/1998 (with Bebe Neuwirth, et al.). M would have been perfect, it would have been a perfect vehicle for her, especially coming off of Evita. I know it would have further put her in the 'film musical' niche, but considering the alternatives (ahem -- what her film career is now -- ahem), that's not such a bad thing.

Actually Hytner did have at least one cast member locked in with Charlize Theron until he was bounced from the project. Theron then had to audition again for Marshall who chose Renee over her.

Personally I think having Nicole Kidman (who was a contender after Hawn was dropped) and Madonna in the film would've been fantastic.

Doubtful. The script for "The Bodyguard" had been laying around for years since the 70's when it was originally targeted as a project for Diana Ross and Steve McQueen. I believe that an African-American actress was always slated for the role of Rachel.

Yes, I was told by a Whitney loon that The Bodyguard was first meant to be a vehicle for Miss Ross, when I mentioned Kevin Costner in Truth or Dare. Rachel Moron was a bit Madonna-esque though.

Thanks, Raider... I was wondering if that was for stage or for film. My memory must be starting to turn on me.

Actually Hytner did have at least one cast member locked in with Charlize Theron until he was bounced from the project. Theron then had to audition again for Marshall who chose Renee over her.

Personally I think having Nicole Kidman (who was a contender after Hawn was dropped) and Madonna in the film would've been fantastic.

:wow: I didn't ever think about Nicole -- she and M would have made a good pair, although Nicole is obviously much, much taller than M. Not sure if there's a huge height discrepancy between Catherine Zeta-Jones and Renee Zellweger or not -- but you can't really tell in the film if there is. When they do Nowadays and the Hot Honey Rag at the end, they look well paired.

I know there are plenty of Nicole haters out there, but Moulin Rouge is just spectacular. Nicole going from Moulin Rouge to Chicago -- and Madonna going from Evita to Chicago -- could have been great.

I do recall Charlize Theron being attached to the project by herself after Goldie and Madonna were out -- forgot about that.