MUSIC ALBUM appreciation thread

Cooka

I CAN'T BELIEVE IT'S BEEN 10 YEARS.

That's right, on september of 2000 Madonna released her long-awaited follow up to her masterpiece Ray Of Light.

Let's celebrate everything about this project. The photoshoots, the interviews, the promo tour, THE COWGIRL, the fantastic music videos, the lyrics, the world tour. EVERYTHAANNG.

I personally love this album. My favorite is PARADISE (NOT FOR ME), it's gonna stay on my top 3 probably forever!

MUSIC MAKES THE PEOPLE COME TOGETHER!!!!

Madonna_Music_front.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjmk8jvXlEA

2000_roseland01.jpg

2000-madonna-interview.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ah-5BcgCXzs

PD982957@Singer-Madonna-and-boy-8782.jpg

20090309-PIX09.png

:bow:

Guest bluejean

So as a Madonna fan I was hanging my head in shame after the karaoke rendition of American Pie. Then the lyrics for Music leaked and all the fans were mortified at the ridiculousness of lines like "Do you like to boogie woggie." I was abit dubious to be honest, it sounded silly.

THEN I came across the song Music on Napster by fluke, and it was THE actual song. Such a cool track, unlike anything else. The only thing I could compare it to was Everybody. I remember alot of talk at the time about it being "just a demo" and noone wanted to believe this was the final product since it sounded so raw. I think everyone thought that it would never be a commercial success because it was just so different.

Then the whole album leaked several months before it was due. I loved it at the time, it was so different to Ray Of Light. I was unsure if Music would be the a mega hit. But it was just the coolest track, even the nay sayers were eating it up.

Apart from the beautiful video for Don't Tell Me, I wasn't a massive fan of the whole cowgirl gimmick. I didn't love the acoustic sound on some songs but I have to admit they are great songs. I have always felt that an album needs an overall sound, and as with American Life having electro dance songs mixed in with predominantly acoustic numbers doesn't really work.

Overall, its a great era and a good album though. It's not an album I listen to alot as a whole, but certain songs to me are Madonna classics. Music, Impessive Instant, Don't Tell Me, What It Feels Like For A Girl and Paradise (Not For Me) are all brilliant. The Drowned World Tour was utterly amazing and a great way to sum up what I see as Madonna's avant-garde phase. (And yes, I would say American Pie was part of that experimental phase :lol: )

holy shit, the era when i first obsessed over her!!!

who remember the music mixer?????????????????????????????????????????????/

http://www.firstbornmultimedia.com/websites/033_madonna1/

Oh my god. I LOVE IT!!! I used to obsessively play the sound that the heart made...super loud!!! I remember when Madonna.com was still a website for a school or charity or something or other. :lol: God, seems like just yesterday.

Oh my god. I LOVE IT!!! I used to obsessively play the sound that the heart made...super loud!!! I remember when Madonna.com was still a website for a school or charity or something or other. :lol: God, seems like just yesterday.

The COOLEST album since her debut. FACT. Even my oldest brother liked her/it (4 a short while)

Well, this is the bit where I do my obligatory :

'It's the quintessential modern pop album, and one of the greatest of the 00's.

Even Elton John agrees.' :fag:

great album!!!! There are only two things that I miss from this era:

-WHERE ARE THE LYRICS!!!! :rant: I WANT THEM WITH THE CD!!!!!! :rant: that´s soooooooooooo cheap...and finally I´m used to it, but it´s been to years

-More singles, and please videos that are actually about the album´s song.I mean, WIFLFAG´s video should have been the second video for the song, not the main one

-Two more singles during the DW tour:two have two more famous song after music would have been a killer thing to do!!!!!! :bow:

anyways, great album, great era

It's peaks are nothing short of AWESOME: "Music", "Don't Tell Me", "What It Feels Like For a Girl", "Paradise"...but I still say "Nobody's Perfect" is a piece of shit and "Runaway lover" is bland as fuck.

The best things to be spawned from this album were:

1. The Cowgirl Look (loved the line dancing in the DTM video and the rhinestone-n-roses outfit on Letterman)

2. The DWT performance of "Paradise" - mostly naked men in cellophane cocoons lowered before a backdrop of Madonna as a ghoulish Hatsumomo. Perfection.

holy shit, the era when i first obsessed over her!!!

who remember the music mixer?????????????????????????????????????????????/

http://www.firstbornmultimedia.com/websites/033_madonna1/

HOLY CRAP - I totally remember this thinking it was such a cool "internet-thing", we've come such a long way since then...BTW, GREAT ALBUM, I also loved the media-blitz with this album.

"Music" -- the best album of her career.

This era is so special. She was so fucking hot in 2000 - 2001 -- the urban cowgirl look, the return of the platinum blond 'do, the one-liner t-shirts... the DROWNED WORLD TOUR.

It was inspiring to watch this brilliant, strong woman almost 20 years into her career churning out groundbreaking songs like "Music," "Don't Tell Me," "WIFLFAG," "Impressive Instant," "Paradise" and so many more while music hacks were asking "Is Britney the new Madonna?" This album was the answer to that -- and it was not just "no" but "Hell no!"

Just brilliant.

i LOVED runaway lover!!! i still do too!!!

i remember when the album came out, i went to the record store at my local mall, and listened to the full album there. I loved it!!! That's when i fell in love with Runaway Lover, I remember playing that song over and over. Cheesy i know, ta hee hee!

It's a good album, probably one of her best. "Runaway Lover" is about the last time you heard that warmth and richness to her voice. Here the Mirwais sound was very fresh and the dreaded vocoder was used well, even on "Nobody's Perfect" which seemed like way too much, that song was a grower. And I loved how the album was so tight (forget the American Pie version in England).

I've really grown to detest the title track though, it really gets on my tits :tongue:

I was never really into Runaway Lover. I LOVED Nobody's Perfect when the album first came out, I wanted it so much to be a single, but now I think it's kind of a filler. Here's how I rank the album:

1. Paradise (Not For Me)

2. Impressive Instant

3. Gone (the live version with the piano... :dramatic: )

4. Music

5. I Deserve It

6. What It Feels Like For A Girl

7. Cyber-Raga (That's right!)

8. Don't Tell Me

9. Amazing

10. Nobody's Perfect (the live version is EXCELLENT)

11. Runaway Lover

the album is ok but certainly not amongst her best....gone, amazing, runaway lover and i deserve it still suck...the rest of the CD is very good especially the brilliance of Paradise (Not For Me)..but the album, overall, isn't in the top 5 of my favorites.

I'm not sure what album I'd pick as her best of this decade. Music is the obvious one, it's the coolest and most progressive. But then there's also Hard Candy which I probably played the most and Confessions which flows really well and has great production. Hmm.

10 years already. Yikes!

Love the album. Another great time to be a Madonna fan. And hearing her voice on songs like I Deserve it and Gone made me squirt some. She sounds amazing on those.

Guest Coked Up Baby Boy

Great album, and very underrated. It seems to be one of those records that over the years has kinda become forgotten among the general public.

Paradise is EVERYTHING, and Music is still one of the coolest songs she's ever done. It still sounds so fresh today, the production is perfect.

There isn't one song on the album i don't like. I only wish we got ONE more single/video out of the album. Then again, we did get AMERICAN PIE [kinda shit] and BEAUTIFUL STRANGER [amazing song!] during that time too, so i guess that made up for it.

She was on such a roll with Ray of Light and then Music. All my friends at the time LOVED 'Don't Tell Me', and they weren't proper fans of hers either.

I'll play this today in celebration!

Guest Coked Up Baby Boy

Oh, i'll also never forget when i was playing NOBODY'S PERFECT loud at home and my Dad was checking the stereo because he thought there was something wrong with it because of all the distortion in the song :lol:

He HATES that song, he thinks it's a mess. He doesn't really GET IT.

POOR PAHPAH.

Guest Pud Whacker

one of my favorite madonna albums, impressive. after the 80's stuff - she takes a leap for me, to music. like a prayer to music. xo

A worthy follow-up to Ray of Light- and eons superior to the album that came after it.

I always liked "Nobody's Perfect"- and the DWT performance enhanced my affection for it.

Orbit and Madge worked their wonders on ROL and "Beautiful Stranger." So, they did some light tracks for this one- nothing wrong with that, but they don't stand up to the Mirawis ones- or most of ROL. But, "Runaway Lover" and "Amazing" are fun, fine fillers. "Gone" is the strongest of the three tracks that involved orbit.

The title tracks is one of her most anthemic- simple in its lyrics, but powerful (like some other of her anthem tracks). "Don't Tell Me" is a gem. "Impressive Instant" is so out there and quirky- and terrific. "Paradise" is haunting and an example (among many) of what sets her apart from mainstream contemporaries.