*NEW* VH1 100 Greatest Artists of All Time

HolidayGuy

^That's why year-end/all-time features may be better gauges than initial reviews.

nf- I agree. I don't put my own likes in the hands of critics- I just like following what garners notable acclaim and what doesn't- that it. I may check something out if it gets raves, but doesn't mean I'll love it.

Who Will Come Out On Top Of VH1’s 100 Greatest Artists Of All Time?

Starting Monday, September 6 with back-to-back episodes at 10/9c and 11/10c, VH1 will count down its 100 Greatest Artists of All Time (the five-part countdown will continue every day at 10/9c through Thursday, Sept. 10). VH1 has revealed the Top 5 (although their specific ranking will remain a secret until the final show airs). In alphabetical order, they are:

The Beatles

Bob Dylan

Michael Jackson

Led Zeppelin

Rolling Stones

Below, check out the actual rankings of the other 95 artists on the list, and make sure you tune in Monday, September 6 for expert commentary from artists on the list, artists not on the list, writers, critics and comedians alike…

6. Jimi Hendrix

7. Prince

8. Elvis Presley

9. James Brown

10. Stevie Wonder

11. Bob Marley

12. David Bowie

13. The Who

14. Nirvana

15. The Beach Boys

16. Madonna

17. Queen

18. Pink Floyd

19. U2

20. Marvin Gaye

21. Bruce Springsteen

22. The Clash

23. AC/DC

24. The Velvet Underground

25. Chuck Berry

26. Neil Young

27. Aretha Franklin

28. Elton John

29. Radiohead

30. Aerosmith

31. John Lennon

32. Black Sabbath

33. Guns N’ Roses

34. Tina Turner

35. Johnny Cash

36. Paul McCartney

37. Fleetwood Mac

38. Sly & The Family Stone

39. The Kinks

40. The Police

41. Van Halen

42. Metallica

43. Ray Charles

44. Joni Mitchell

45. Al Green

46. Ramones

47. Jay-Z

48. Rage Against the Machine

49. Parliament-Funkadelic

50. Sade

51. Billy Joel

52. Beyonce

53. Little Richard

54. Public Enemy

55. Peter Gabriel

56. KISS

57. Iggy & the Stooges

58. Cheap Trick

59. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

60. Whitney Houston

61. Cream

62. Genesis

63. Notorious B.I.G.

64. Talking Heads

65. The Doors

66. Justin Timberlake

67. Coldplay

68. Otis Redding

69. Tupac Shakur

70. Def Leppard

71. R.E.M.

72. Janis Joplin

73. Van Morrison

74. The Cure

75. Rush

76. Run-DMC

77. Lynyrd Skynyrd

78. Judas Priest

79. Eminem

80. Mary J. Blige

81. ABBA

82. Steely Dan

83. Earth Wind and Fire

84. Curtis Mayfield

85. The Band

86. N.W.A.

87. George Michael

88. Bee Gees

89. Beastie Boys

90. Elvis Costello

91. Green Day

92. LL Cool J

93. Pearl Jam

94. Mariah Carey

95. OutKast

96. Journey

97. Pretenders

98. Depeche Mode

99. Hall & Oates

100. Alicia Keys

http://blog.vh1.com/2010-08-25/who-will-come-out-on-top-of-vh1s-100-greatest-artists-of-all-time/

Guest vermicious knid

That fuggo douchebag Justin Timberlake as the 66th greatest music artist in history! :wacko::lmao::zombie:

Just look at all the people who are supposedly INFERIOR to him.

Guest bluejean

i totally agree. Nirvana is only as "legendary" as they are because he killed himself. Their 1st album or 2 or whatever were great but they woulda became old and tired like every other 90s grunge band. I couldnt have seen them evolving. Pearl Jam were every but as hot and popular at the time yet dont even close to the kissing ass that Nirvana get. As for MJ I reeeeally think hes beyond overated. He only had like two really good albums (one that was legendary) but thats it lol. After 1983-84, I never got what the fuss and hype was about. It became about his look and freak behaviour more than the music and true evolution/ re-invention (like Madonna). Overall, I actually agree with most of this list but feel Elvis and Madonna most definitely shoulda been higher. Im happy shes the highest female, but still she made more of a mark on music and culture than the Beach Boys, Nirvana (again WHY are they ahead of M?) , Prince and the Who.

Michael Jackson's influence and incredible volume of work really can't be denied. I do think Madonna should be in the top 10 though. And I agree Nirvana are incredibly overrated. I guess they were were at the forefront of the whole grunge movement. But that whole movement is greatly overrated also.

I think is easier for a band to become "legendary".I mean, they record a few good albums, they sell a few millions, and they separate...the solo work of the member of the band is not seen as a thing that will hurt the status of the band.Is like Ziggy Stardust, it will always be a legend, because bowie got rid off him before people got bored or the quality of the work dissapeard...

and the only ones that i don´t understand in the top 20, are Bob marley (please!!!!!! that´s even worse than nirvana´s case! it´s always the same song, but he also died soon enough before people got bored of him...imagine the tabloids with him fat, drugged, and with 100 babies!)

and Michael deserves to be there.As much as i miss him working more during the 80´s, the jackson 5 and the Jacksons, are him!!!!! I mean, can you feel it, blame it on the boogie...pure Michael Jackson.So his work, even when he was an adult already, was more than it seems

• 2 weeks later...

for beyonce to be higher than mariah is a crock of shit personally. mariah has done much more in the music industry than her so that ranking was bullshit to begin with.

on the other hand MADONNA being the only female in the top 20 is well deserved even though i must agree she shouldve been in the top 10. to say the beach boys and nirvana and bob marley has had a bigger influence than her is bullshit yet again dude mostly all the people besides michael jackson and the beatles within that top 20 MADONNA HAS SOLD MORE RECORDS THAN THEM! but i still dont agree yet the only female in the top 20 is a great achievement. nobody can deny her musical contribution and influence over the past 20+ years..... nobody!

for beyonce to be higher than mariah is a crock of shit personally. mariah has done much more in the music industry than her so that ranking was bullshit to begin with.

Beyonce is superior to mariah IN EVERY WAY.

Tina Turner should've made top 20.

Absolutely!

I love Nirvana but I agree that the only reason they are still held in such high regard is because Kurt killed himself. Nirvana did open the flood gates to the "grunge" era but that really only lasted a few years.

Madonna's segment came up:

"Single most important female pop star of all time, Greatest Female Pop Star Of All Time"

Macy Gray: "She's the ultimate entertainer."

Kelly Rowland: "She just does it all."

Michelle Williams of Destiny's Child: "She's number one in my book."

Chilli from TLC loved and dressed like her during the mid-80's. Liz Phair praised how she always experimented her sound and always changed her look and reinvented herself each decade, etc...

Madonna's segment came up:

"Single most important female pop star of all time, Greatest Female Pop Star Of All Time"

Macy Gray: "She's the ultimate entertainer."

Kelly Rowland: "She just does it all."

Michelle Williams of Destiny's Child: "She's number one in my book."

Chilli from TLC loved and dressed like her during the mid-80's. Liz Phair praised how she always experimented her sound and always changed her look and reinvented herself each decade, etc...

I wanted to watch the Jersey Shore instead, so i missed M's segment. Did any male musicians have anything to say??

I wanted to watch the Jersey Shore instead, so i missed M's segment. Did any male musicians have anything to say??

A majority of the guys speaking were rappers either saying how outspoken, sexual, or what a freak she was. VH1's so ghetto these days. :lol:

The M segment was good. This series didn't have a narrator like other lists had.

The silly host didn't even mention that she was the highest-ranked female when introducing her segment.

People go on about how Nirvana rank so high because of what happened to Kurt Cobain. Well, the same may be said about Michael Jackson, to a degree- granted, he's always been revered and respected as an artist, but his reverence has grown even more in the last year. It happens to a lot of greats that pass earlier than they should in life.

WHY was her part shown so early?isn't this a 4 part special..shes no.16, and she is not supposed to come out until the last part..ryt?

anyways...upload plssss.