Who's That Girl Stepping Out Of Madonna's Shadow? Queen Lola, that's who.

funkydita

Guest chatty kathy

i thought she was going to be at this premiere and meet fans

Yes, that was in one of the first stories out about the MG line. Then several writers/news sites ran w/it.

So that makes me ask?

Were 'W.E.'s filming dates moved -up?

Or

Did the initial writer or offical press release say that?

Anyone recall?

PS - people there have a chance of getting several autographs. I forget what items were actually being signed.

Those details may be repeated tommorrow in reviews.

Yes, that was in one of the first stories out about the MG line. Then several writers/news sites ran w/it.

So that makes me ask?

Were 'W.E.'s filming dates moved -up?

Or

Did the initial writer or offical press release say that?

Anyone recall?

PS - people there have a chance of getting several autographs. I forget what items were actually being signed.

Those details may be repeated tommorrow in reviews.

I don't ever remember reading that she'd be at the premiere. Taylor Momsen was supposed to be there for the launch, but Madonna's event (meet and greet or whatever) isn't until Sept. 22 in NYC, or something like that. I suspect W.E. will be finished with principle photography by then and she'll be working on post-production (and hopefully a new album too - crosses fingers).

Guest chatty kathy

I don't ever remember reading that she'd be at the premiere. Taylor Momsen was supposed to be there for the launch, but Madonna's event (meet and greet or whatever) isn't until Sept. 22 in NYC, or something like that. I suspect W.E. will be finished with principle photography by then and she'll be working on post-production (and hopefully a new album too - crosses fingers).

Thank you! Thank you Nightshade! I really appreciate that! I was dreading

the thought of going thru all the MG collections articles until I found it! That seemed so daunting! Thank you sooooo much!

:smooch:

Thank you! Thank you Nightshade! I really appreciate that! I was dreading

the thought of going thru all the MG collections articles until I found it! That seemed so daunting! Thank you sooooo much!

:smooch:

No worries. :)

This is also what I recall... I know the promo/posters said to text to enter a contest to meet Madonna at an event in September (the date might be 22 or 23 -- that part isn't clear in my memory, and the JPEG I saved only said "September" -- without a specific date). And yeah, it makes sense, because she's definitely busy filming W.E. right now.

http://nymag.com/daily/fashion/2010/08/material_girl_launch.html

Madonna’s Material Girl Line Is Oh-So-Eighties

8/5/10 at 3:00 PM Comment 7Comment 7Comments

Would Madonna let Lourdes wear this stuff out of the house?

Photo: Alexandra Martell

From the moment we stepped on to the juniors' floor at Macy's, it was clear that Madonna's Material Girl line, unveiled Tuesday with an in-store performance by Taylor Momsen and plenty of Madge impersonators, will fare significantly better than February's Olsenboye/JCPenney collab. The section was already packed with teens, tweens, and foreign tourists, and the racks were ravaged; size smalls were quickly making their way onto the endangered species list.

Most of the Material Girl pieces hearken back to the eighties (think: lace, puffy shoulders, crop tops, and spandex). When trying on the clothes, we couldn't help but think that this would have been our dream wardrobe as children. In fact, we're pretty sure our kindergarten selves owned flowered leggings just like the ones the line offers today.

That isn't to say there were no wearable pieces, though. We actually found a dress we considered buying, and a cardigan that reminded us of a Vince number we saw at Loehmann's last year. The quality isn't terrible, either — better than Olsenboye and on par with H&M — and certainly fair if you consider the prices. Cardigans ran around $28, dresses between $15 and $28, printed T-shirts $20, ruffled miniskirts $24, and, if they're your thing, sparkly bike shorts for $15 and faux-fur vests for $34. Sizing, however, is inconsistent: Those sparkly bike shorts were sausage-casing-tight in a size small, whereas a medium ruffled miniskirt was practically falling off our hips.

Though we didn't purchase anything on this visit, we'd consider going back for the Material Girl cardigan ... and maybe around Halloween, should we decide to go as Madonna.

nypost

Madonna power helps at Macy's

By JAMES COVERT

Last Updated: 4:34 AM, August 6, 2010

Posted: 2:14 AM, August 6, 2010

Macy's delivered a July fireworks show for investors yesterday -- with a little help from Madonna.

The nation's biggest department store reported a better-than-expected 7.3-percent increase in July same-store sales, or sales at stores open at least a year.

While other retailers, including rival JC Penney, were singing the back-to-school blues with sluggish monthly sales reports, Macy's CEO Terry Lundgren said the season is "off to a great start."

Lundgren cited the "phenomenal launch" of the new "Material Girl" fashion line, designed by Madonna and her 13-year-old daughter, Lourdes. Aimed at teenage girls, the 1980s-inspired line will include clothing, shoes, handbags and jewelry.

On Tuesday, Macy's launched the collection at the company's flagship store on Herald Square with a performance by pop star Taylor Momsen, who drew throngs of girls dressed up like Madonna. Macy's shares yesterday rose 34 cents, or 1.8 percent, to $19.78.

Isnt Sept. 22 too far way of the momentum? Anyway, i hope by that time it still has this inicial vibe.

Nah, even though most "back to school" shopping is done in August, September begins the roll-up to Christmas. Her NYC appearance then should keep the media interested through the rest of the 3rd quarter - and hopefully that will carry over to the holiday sales. Maybe she'll make an appearance in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade too. :lol:

It sounds like the collection has the makings of a hit with retail shoppers. Good for her (and Lola)!

nypost

Madonna power helps at Macy's

By JAMES COVERT

Last Updated: 4:34 AM, August 6, 2010

Posted: 2:14 AM, August 6, 2010

Macy's delivered a July fireworks show for investors yesterday -- with a little help from Madonna.

The nation's biggest department store reported a better-than-expected 7.3-percent increase in July same-store sales, or sales at stores open at least a year.

While other retailers, including rival JC Penney, were singing the back-to-school blues with sluggish monthly sales reports, Macy's CEO Terry Lundgren said the season is "off to a great start."

Lundgren cited the "phenomenal launch" of the new "Material Girl" fashion line, designed by Madonna and her 13-year-old daughter, Lourdes. Aimed at teenage girls, the 1980s-inspired line will include clothing, shoes, handbags and jewelry.

On Tuesday, Macy's launched the collection at the company's flagship store on Herald Square with a performance by pop star Taylor Momsen, who drew throngs of girls dressed up like Madonna. Macy's shares yesterday rose 34 cents, or 1.8 percent, to $19.78.

its about july

MADONNS LINE LAUNCHED ON AUGUST.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/business/madonna_power_helps_at_macy_sqyhVCHkgIWx3QXvzCUuLO#ixzz0w6PItesp

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/business/madonna_power_helps_at_macy_sqyhVCHkgIWx3QXvzCUuLO#ixzz0w6PItesp

:thumbsup:

Guest megstar

I went and looked at the Material Girl Collection the other day at Macy's and wasn't impressed. Maybe some of the reason is that I'm not twelve. There were so many more sophisticated clothes in Macy's Juniors section. However, it is a good starting point for Lola.

Sounds like it is gonna be a big hit...

Material Girl fashion line a chart topper for Macy's

MADONNA | Retailer steps up distribution to all of its stores

August 12, 2010

BY SANDRA GUY sguy@suntimes.com

Madonna and her daughter Lourdes' new fashion line for high school and college-age women -- Material Girl -- is doing such brisk business, Macy's is speeding up its distribution to all of its stores and counting on it to boost back-to-school sales.

At Macy's on State Street [Chicago], 120 fans showed up within the first hour of the collection's Aug. 3 debut to receive a $10 gift card, a free bandeau top and to check out the line, said Macy's spokeswoman Andrea Schwartz.

"We had lines all that day," she said.

Macy's launched the collection online and in 200 stores nationwide, including at State Street and in stores at Woodfield Mall in Schaumburg, Westfield Old Orchard in Skokie, the Promenade in Bolingbrook and Orland Square Mall in Orland Park.

Macy's chief financial officer, Karen Hoguet, couldn't say exactly when the collection will reach all of the company's 800 stores, but she said the rollout is being accelerated.

Hoguet talked about the label Wednesday as she announced that Macy's second-quarter profit exceeded analysts' expectations and that the retailer is boosting its earnings forecast for the year.

The Material Girl collection, named for one of Madonna's signature songs, features clothes, shoes, handbags, jewelry and hair accessories, most selling for $12 to $40.

Once again, the Chicago market's two store districts were among the top performers among the retailer's 69 districts nationwide, Hoguet said. In February, Macy's CEO Terry Lundgren told the Sun-Times that Chicago's two store districts were among the top five of Macy's 69 districts nationwide in top-line sales growth for 2009.

http://www.suntimes.com/business/2591184,CST-NWS-macys12.article

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D9HHF3AG0.htm

On the Call: Macy's CFO Karen Hoguet

Macy's Inc., which also operates the Bloomingdale's chain, is knocking down competitors as it enjoys surging profits and sales. The company's push to tailor its merchandise to local markets and its expansion of exclusive moderate-price fashion has helped it identify trends and woo new customers. During a conference call with investors, CFO Karen Hoguet talked about the back-to-school season.

QUESTION: How's your start to the back-to-school season?

RESPONSE: The start of the back-to-school season has been very encouraging. We are especially excited about the launch of our exclusive Material Girl line, which is designed by Madonna and her daughter, Lourdes. The initial selling across the country has been terrific, and we believe the excitement being generated helps sales beyond the specific brand. The buzz is incredible.

And our new Slade Wilder young men's brand, launched in mid-July, also is off to a very strong start. ... We don't have a crystal ball on the economy, but we do have confidence that we can continue to gain share profitably, no matter the environment