Stuart Price on why Madonna didnt work with him after COADF

elijah

She's been in the industry for what 30 years now? She lasted way longer than most people predicted. She achieved so much...etc

She needs to get over scoring another #1 single here. Just make music that keep you relevant. I hope she ventures on a new direction yet still sound like her in the end of the day

People really need to move on from Stuart, it's done, they did Confessions, work with someone else.

He's right in saying Madonna was late on working with Timbo. He'd dished out all his signature hits before he gave Madonna tunes, which is why HC sounded like a re-hash from the last 5 years.

C but that's the thing..when I first heard the album I was releived..obviously there r some

signature Tim 'sounds' with the only rehash being DEVIL. But I don't think it's a copycat album at all..

same with the Pharell stuff like SNM & BGO is very Nile Rodgers 'Chic'...'Incredible' is very much

a child of Hard Candy :chuckle: & MA sounds like a Mirwaïs cum Timba mix 2 me...

We don't even know what song that was, and it could've been one that didn't make the cut.

I disagree that Timbaland gave her his worst tracks. On the contrary, "4 Minutes" has a great hook and beat. I know it is treated like the plague around here, but I still think this is a very strong single. It's brassy, big and catchy. Justin may have helped with the airplay, but it is still a legitimate, huge hit - even in Europe where Madonna is way bigger than Justin. I also love "Devil," "Dance 2Night," and "Voices."

Hard Candy was just an experiment with current hiphop/urban dance styles. I understand some people didn't like that style, but it's not the anathema that some are making it out to be, and it did relatively well considering the state of the industry.

I agree.I love 'Hard Candy'.One of the great things about being a Madonna fan is,we get albums that are different than the previous album.Madonna is into all types of music,so it's not surprising that her albums would reflect that.Like you say,'Hard Candy' is just an experiment.The next album will sound totally different.I appreciate the way Madonna evolves as an artist.

Are you honestly saying that Hard Candy's subpar performance was due to lack of promotion?

Warners did a horrible job with the promotion.Everyone knows that "Beat Goes On" would have been a huge hit in America.It's catchy,fun and features Kanye West on it.Any other record company would have wasted no time releasing it as a single,with tons of promotion and hype.Warners dropped the ball on that one.They also didn't see the hit potential of other songs like "She's Not Me" and "Devil Wouldn't Recognize You".It's ironic that Madonna gave them her most commercial,radio-friendly album in YEARS and they still didn't know how to promote it.

I understand people have their own opinion of the actual music on HC. Her fans are so dismissive of the FACTS though, like.... it's actual success. Some fans like to pretend like the WHOLE WORLD shared their opinion when that's not the case. Look to the "success" of AL for an album that was CLEARLY not liked by many. HC was actually a pretty big album....not a PEAK for her no, but for an album by Madonna released in 2008 it did pretty fucking well. One of the top sellers of the year, producing one of the biggest worldwide hits of her career....not to mention for the first time in a DECADE nearly I heard Madonna on the radio again. And before anyone throws it out there NO I DON'T THINK SALES/MASSIVE AIRPLAY EQUAL QUALITY but, it shows that the whole project wasn't a bust despite the picture that some fans who HATED the musical direction she went in like to paint. I know I've said this a lot but fans let their own personal opinion of the music on the album cloud the actual facts and the fact is HC was a hit. What's funny is that even if everybody here loves her next album and it's critically acclaimed to the heavens, it's going to struggle to reach the worldwide success of HC.

I love you :) Agree with everything you said.

I don't see the discussion. Madonna has always used producers, then moved on when she felt she's gone as far as she needs to go with them. A lesser artist would still be using Orbit over and over again in hopes to recapture the spark of Ray Of Light, look at how many times Mariah keeps running back to Jermaine Dupri because Mimi was a smash. Madonna worked with Stuart, it was a smash (worldwide, maybe not so much in America but considering it sold more than twice what both AL and HC did, it proves it did well) then she moved on to something else. It's nothing new for her and I don't think Price should find or come up with any explanations except for that Madonna moves on to different producers much like she did with Orbit and Mirwais as well.

Exactly.Many pop artists work with the same producers over and over,basically making the same album over and over.Mariah Carey comes to mind.Thankfully,Madonna doesn't do this.As much as I love COADF,I wouldn't want her to repeat it.

I love 'Hard Candy'. One of the great things about being a Madonna fan is, we get albums that are different than the previous

album. Madonna is into all types of music, so it's not surprising that her albums would reflect that. Like you say, 'Hard

Candy' is just an experiment. The next album will sound totally different. I appreciate the way Madonna evolves as an artist.

:clap:

This doesn't even make sense. How can a hit album and having the most successful tour ever by a solo artist "lower her profile"?? The "horrible" tour is nothing more than your opinion and based on the critical and fan reviews you are actually in the minority with that opinion. Even the fans that hated HC tended to like the tour. I'm not dissing your OPINIONS because you are entitled to like what you like. But why do you make up lies all the time and present them as fact? Or do you actually believe them?

So, according to you, Madonna's image is as strong after Hard Candy as it was after COADF? Or is it just my perception and i am telling lies? Just recall the momentum when she performed Hung Up at the MTV awards and compare it with any moment from the very release of Hard Candy and that tour that grossed loads of money (and according to your ideas, having earned so much money means that is good).

I agree.I love 'Hard Candy'.One of the great things about being a Madonna fan is,we get albums that are different than the previous album.Madonna is into all types of music,so it's not surprising that her albums would reflect that.Like you say,'Hard Candy' is just an experiment.The next album will sound totally different.I appreciate the way Madonna evolves as an artist.

But the results have to be good and she has to deliver several hit singles. That's how music business works. Like a Prayer or ROL without good songs wouldn't be the iconic albums that they are nowadays.

But the results have to be good and she has to deliver several hit singles. That's how music business works. Like a Prayer or ROL without good songs wouldn't be the iconic albums that they are nowadays.

but it's all subjective :) I happen to think that 'Hard Candy' is a good album.

Once and for all...Justin Timberlake being on the record did NOT make 4 MINUTES the absolute worldwide smash that it was. It was and is a GREAT song.

Timberlake and Timberland have both been featured on many songs by many artists in the past few years that were nowhere NEAR as popular or successful in America as 4 MINUTES.

HARD CANDY is a fantastic album.

You keep forgetting that to chart on the US Hot 100 you need air play points. Without airplay points a big song can peak high if it has good sales but then when the sales decrease the song will tumble.

Classic example Hung Up when released it shot straight into the top 10 on the hot 100 - it was a digital sales no1 for 2 weeks but when the sales. If HU had more airplay it would have peaked higher.

If airplay for 4 Mins had been at HU levels it would not have got as much exposure therefore less sales. JT was the factor in getting M that much needed airplay to have a big hit.

Warners did a horrible job with the promotion.Everyone knows that "Beat Goes On" would have been a huge hit in America.It's catchy,fun and features Kanye West on it.Any other record company would have released it as a single,with tons of promotion.Warners dropped the ball on that one.They also didn't see the hit potential of other songs like "She's Not Me" and "Devil Wouldn't Recognize You".It's ironic that Madonna gave them her most commercial,radio-friendly album in YEARS and they still didn't know how to promote it.

Promotion ca only go so far. All of the song on HC are dull, uninspiring, soulless, dry. BGO would only have been a hit because of Kanye.

The problem is she went ot to make a radio friendly album and it sounded like Nelly Furtado cast offs.

Promotion can only go so far. All of the song on HC are dull, uninspiring, soulless, dry. BGO would only have been a hit because of Kanye.

The problem is she went to make a radio friendly album and it sounded like Nelly Furtado cast offs.

I disagree with you.I think 'Hard Candy' contains songs that are exciting,fun and infectious."Miles Away" is a Madonna classic in my book.With effective promotion,that could have easily reached the Top 20."Beat Goes On" had "hit single" written all over it.Warners must have been deaf if they couldn't hear the hit potential of this album.There are at least four or five strong singles here.

I find it hilarious that so many fans claimed Madonna didn't work with those producers in search of commercial of success. Even though it was obvious and Stuart has now confirmed it.

Imagine if Madonna's next single is this amazing dark haunting ballad. Something incredible and vulnerable that makes people go "wow."

Then follow it up with a huge funky electro anthem.

Madonna has always been about comercial success. She has never wanted to make edgy music that did not sell. If something did not do well she always followed it up with something more commercial ie Erotica-BS, AL-COADF-HC but that does not necessarily mean she will get the success she wants.

If you look at ROL era the whole point was to make a big splash - everything was pre-planned to a pinpoint to make sure she got the commercial success she wanted. She has always known that working with the same people over and over again would be a disaster considering its not her voice that is the strong point.

I disagree with you.I think 'Hard Candy' contains songs that are exciting,fun and infectious."Miles Away" is a Madonna classic in my book.With effective promotion,that could have easily reached the Top 20."Beat Goes On" had "hit single" written all over it.Warners must have been deaf if they couldn't hear the hit potential of this album.There are at least four or five strong singles here.

Hits where?

How many over 40's artists are being played on US Radio which is much needed to make it a hit?

Where would have MA reached the top 20? The song is not even worthy of being a B-side. The song flopped in the UK her strongest market and people may cite the lack of promotion as a factor in that but it was a top 10 air play hit here. The whole HC era put off many people - look at the stats in the UK it sold a 1/4 of COADF.

I doubt the UK and the rest of Europe would have paid too much attention to BGO - its far too rent-a-rapper. It could have been a Hot 100 hit in the USA BECAUSE of Kanye.

So, according to you, Madonna's image is as strong after Hard Candy as it was after COADF?

This just goes to show that you don't get the whole picture

Madonna doesn't have an image anymore nor she needs one

She just is

Ever and anywhere present :D

Guest bluejean

The problem is she went ot to make a radio friendly album and it sounded like Nelly Furtado cast offs.

I think some of it did sound like that, yes. Moreso Timbaland's stuff than Pharrell's.

As much as I enjoyed this album I still conclude working with those producers, and Justin Timberlake, wasn't a great idea. It seemed to lessen her legend status. As if she needed them and not the other way round. So unlike Madonna.

Guest Pud Whacker

fact of the matter is this. after american life, her fucking fans slammed that door so she figured 'shyt, i will just do whats going on out there in my way'.

I think some of it did sound like that, yes. Moreso Timbaland's stuff than Pharrell's.

As much as I enjoyed this album I still conclude working with those producers, and Justin Timberlake, wasn't a great idea. It seemed to lessen her legend status. As if she needed them and not the other way round. So unlike Madonna.

So true. It was a clear example that she was not inspired and just wanted to conclude her Warner contract with shitty producers of the moment. Her lamest record to date.

What I love about Madonna and they way she works with music producers is the way she rides them hard...pushing them, rinsing them and forcing them to create their best output for her...like with Stephen Bray, Shep Pettibone, William Orbit, Mirwais, Stuart Price...she milked their balls dry and got the best of them musically...Timbaland seems to be the only producer she wasn't able to do that with because he was already overspent, overstretched and whoring himself working with every artist under the sun.

Guest Pud Whacker

say what you will people but 4 minutes was great. my fav tracks off hard candy happen to be the pharrell tracks - although i love miles away.

madonna is the ONLY musical artist in the history of popular music to have consistently great albums throughout her career- all the way into her 50's. so really stop being so petty and nit-picky. there are some that i dont particularly think are her best (erotica, ray of light) but i know what they are and how other people love them and how they shape and are far superior to her contemporaries.

What I love about Madonna and they way she works with music producers is the way she rides them hard...pushing them, rinsing them and forcing them to create their best output for her...like with Stephen Bray, Shep Pettibone, William Orbit, Mirwais, Stuart Price...she milked their balls dry and got the best of them musically...Timbaland seems to be the only producer she wasn't able to do that with because he was already overspent, overstretched and whoring himself working with every artist under the sun.

I agree.

madonna is the ONLY musical artist in the history of popular music to have consistently great albums throughout her career- all the way into her 50's. so really stop being so petty and nit-picky. there are some that i dont particularly think are her best (erotica, ray of light) but i know what they are and how other people love them and how they shape and are far superior to her contemporaries.

That's true. She's never had a BAD album.

say what you will people but 4 minutes was great. my fav tracks off hard candy happen to be the pharrell tracks - although i love miles away.

Do you think Hard Candy is better than Erotica or Ray of Light? :nocomment: