Britney

Fannyfartina

Whitney

Barbra

Cher

J-Ho

Donna

Diana

et cetera, et cetera, et cetera, and in the midst of life we are in death et cetera!

None of them are worthy of walking the ground she walks on. Now I do love/like them all but let's be honest here.

:queenbitch:

Wow, you are delusional! Cher is an Academy Award winning actress...something Madonna will NEVER accomplish (although I love Madonna her dearly). Not to mention, Cher's been successful in every possible avenue the entertainment business has to offer for over 46 years now. I don't think Cher would want to walk on Madonna's "ground" as she's made it very clear that she doesn't think Madonna is a very nice person. She's rude and disrespectful to the people who work for her. And as far as Cyndi goes, she could sing CIRCLES around Madonna! She has one of the most incredible voices to come out of the 80's...and her music since then has just gotten better and better regardless of whether it does well on the charts or not. She plays so many different instruments, writes all her own music, even produces. She's an artist in every sense of the word and has a voice to be reckoned with. Again, I love Madonna so this is in no way an attack...I'm just keeping it real.

Edited by cherbette

Wow, you are delusional! Cher is an Academy Award winning actress...something Madonna will NEVER accomplish (although I love Madonna her dearly). Not to mention, Cher's been successful in every possible avenue the entertainment business has to offer for over 46 years now. I don't think Cher would want to walk on Madonna's "ground" as she's made it very clear that she doesn't think Madonna is a very nice person. She's rude and disrespectful to the people who work for her. And as far as Cyndi goes, she could sing CIRCLES around Madonna! She has one of the most incredible voices to come out of the 80's...and her music since then has just gotten better and better regardless of whether it does well on the charts or not. She plays so many different instruments, writes all her own music, even produces. She's an artist in every sense of the word and has a voice to be reckoned with. Again, I love Madonna so this is in no way an attack...I'm just keeping it real.

umwhat.gif

Guest nothingfails0603

I think the major difference between Madonna and Cyndi is pure drive. It's like once Cyndi reached a level of fame she got too comfortable with it and played it safe and withered away, whereas Madonna pretty much went at it nonstop until she was safely on the same level as Elvis and The Beatles. Cyndi came and peaked with the debut album but then released a second album that wasn't half as good (although "Change Of Heart" is one of my all time faves) and I think that was a big factor in Cyndi's decline as a pop star while Madonna refused to do a lazy or subpar album for a loooooooong time.

I've loved Cyndi almost as long as Madonna but I think ultimately she's a more low-key individual and is fine doing Pride circuits and making the music she wants without worrying about sales. I could never see her staying on the level of fame she was at in the mid-80's with her latter-day material, which is good but the days of She's So Unusual are completely behind her and over.

She once told them personally that she danced to their music before she was famous, most likely heard it in the clubs... their looks were similar because they were living parallel lives in NYC/London, both moved to big cities with no money and hung around artsy and musician types til they found their calling. Cyndi Lauper looked like she lived comfortably and just liked to dress up like a bag lady.

That's exactly the whole point :)

I remember them both appearing on TOTPs for the first time, Cyndi went OTT and generally tried too hard. Madonna took the stage, looking like she'd just walked off the lower-east side and gave an understated peformance that was as COOL AS FUCK. Cyndi's career was well on the wane within a few years of that whilst Madonna was going from strenght to strength.

:thumbsup:

Cyndi and Madonna are too different to even compare really. The only thing they ever had in common was they both came out of the 80's and dressed oddly. Cyndi's first three albums were pretty much under the control of someone else...she wasn't really allowed to blossom on her own as an artist until the 90's and by then every one had moved on....which is a shame but with or without sales she has made some of the most amazing music. If you like the Ray of Light album, check out Cyndi's "Sisters of Avalon" album. Good stuff!!

Of course there's no comparing Madonna and Cher as actresses- Cher is a far better actress. But, Cher more than likely will never get into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (even though I love her music). She's never been ACCLAIMED as a musical act, outside of "I Got You Babe." Also why it was funny that she once said Madonna wasn't doing anything she didn't do 20 years prior- which was very off the mark, as Cher didn't do anything in her work to challenge societal norms (even when videos took off, her big controversial video "If I Could Turn Back Time" was controversial only because of THAT outfit).

As for Cyndi, she and M have no beef in recent times. Like Madge, Cyndi has matured and likely recognizes all that Madge has accomplished and done.

Guest nothingfails0603

Cyndi and Madonna are too different to even compare really. The only thing they ever had in common was they both came out of the 80's and dressed oddly. Cyndi's first three albums were pretty much under the control of someone else...she wasn't really allowed to blossom on her own as an artist until the 90's and by then every one had moved on....which is a shame but with or without sales she has made some of the most amazing music. If you like the Ray of Light album, check out Cyndi's "Sisters of Avalon" album. Good stuff!!

That is true. After she split professionally and personally from David Wolff (Cyndi's love interest in Time After Time and a few other videos) her music was an entirely different genre of music than the 80's hits. I think its easy to pity her for doing Pride circuits and selling small numbers of albums but I think Cyndi herself stopped comparing herself with Madonna ages ago and is fine with where she is now. She had a son not long after Madonna had Lola but yet she's been able to give the kid a normal childhood because paparazzi isn't flashing him wherever he goes because of who his mom is. I am sure that type of shit ages a child fast.

Still, I'd rather see Cyndi as a "rival" to Madonna than Mariah any day, at least her music is more appealing to an average Madonna fan who isn't a total "I hate all rivals" loon, whereas Mariah has recorded maybe four songs in 20 years that are even similar to anything M's done.

I can't beleive people r actually still going out of their way 2 situate Cyndi Lauper in the pop landscape

compared 2 Madonna..'She's so irrelevant'. I mean really now. :rolleyes:

Guest nothingfails0603

I can't beleive people r actually still going out of their way 2 situate Cyndi Lauper in the pop landscape

Well you're not American. In the US Cyndi is as synonymous with the gay community as Kylie and Dannii are over there. I remember a few years ago on AfterElton that people left and right were "who cares that Madonna's going on tour? Cyndi's touring as well". That's how big Cyndi is with American fags that there are some out there who honestly think she's better than Madonna (I'd never ever go THAT far).

You really have to be American to "get it". But in the past 5 years or so Cyndi has really wrapped herself into being part of the gay community and US fags love her more now than they did 25 years ago.

Well you're not American. In the US Cyndi is as synonymous with the gay community as Kylie and Dannii are over there. I remember a few years ago on AfterElton that people left and right were "who cares that Madonna's going on tour? Cyndi's touring as well". That's how big Cyndi is with American fags that there are some out there who honestly think she's better than Madonna (I'd never ever go THAT far).

You really have to be American to "get it". But in the past 5 years or so Cyndi has really wrapped herself into being part of the gay community and US fags love her more now than they did 25 years ago.

Chile I get Cydney Lauper. Besides being The Voice Of Europe I'm also a member of the secret gay railroad.

Of course there's no comparing Madonna and Cher as actresses- Cher is a far better actress. But, Cher more than likely will never get into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (even though I love her music). She's never been ACCLAIMED as a musical act, outside of "I Got You Babe." Also why it was funny that she once said Madonna wasn't doing anything she didn't do 20 years prior- which was very off the mark, as Cher didn't do anything in her work to challenge societal norms (even when videos took off, her big controversial video "If I Could Turn Back Time" was controversial only because of THAT outfit).

As for Cyndi, she and M have no beef in recent times. Like Madge, Cyndi has matured and likely recognizes all that Madge has accomplished and done.

I think "she's never been acclaimed as a musical act" is just an opinion. If that were the case, she wouldn't have made it this far in the recording industry having had top ten hits in each of 4 decades...the only artist to have EVER done so. Cher was absolutely right in saying that Madonna hadn't done anything that she hadn't already done prior as far as being over the top with clothing etc....Cher fought the censors on the 'Sonny and Cher Comedy Hour' and her solo 'Cher Show' incessantly over the baring of her navel and her extremely revealing Bob Mackie costumes way before Madonna EVER came onto the scene. She'd already been there, done that. In fact, the "If I Could Turn Back Time" video was originally supposed to be shot on a dam & NOT on that ship...suddenly, Cher felt too naked in the outfit & added the leather jacket in an attempt to "cover up" a little more. Cher has also done just about EVERY genre of music to be had: blues, R&B, dance, disco, rock, country, pop, standards, folk etc. Madonna has done dance and that is about it. Again, there's really no point in comparing the two but previous posters labeled Cher as "irrelevant" in the entertainment industry which is ludicrous. Half of the people in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame do not deserve to be there...and others who are far more worthy have been completely neglected. Cher deserves to be there just as much if not more than Madonna based on seniority and success alone.

Edited by cherbette

Again, that is just an opinion not a fact so there's really nothing wrong with anyone voicing their opinion on the two ladies. The only point I'm arguing is that Cyndi is a better vocalist and has put out some really amazing music during AND after the 80's...whether the latter was successful chart-wise or not is IRRELEVANT. There are plenty of artists who are just as talented as Madonna who don't get any airplay...do they deserve the title of "irrelevant"? I hardly think so.

I think "she's never been acclaimed as a musical act" is just an opinion. If that were the case, she wouldn't have made it this far in the recording industry having had top ten hits in each of 4 decades...the only artist to have EVER done so. Cher was absolutely right in saying that Madonna hadn't done anything that she hadn't already done prior as far as being over the top with clothing etc....Cher fought the censors on the 'Sonny and Cher Comedy Hour' and her solo 'Cher Show' incessantly over the baring of her navel and her extremely revealing Bob Mackie costumes way before Madonna EVER came onto the scene. She'd already been there, done that. In fact, the "If I Could Turn Back Time" video was originally supposed to be shot on a dam & NOT on that ship...suddenly, Cher felt too naked in the outfit & added the leather jacket in an attempt to "cover up" a little more. Cher has also done just about EVERY genre of music to be had: blues, R&B, dance, disco, rock, country, pop, standards, folk etc. Madonna has done dance and that is about it. Again, there's really no point in comparing the two but previous posters labeled Cher as "irrelevant" in the entertainment industry which is ludicrous. Half of the people in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame do not deserve to be there...and others who are far more worthy have been completely neglected. Cher deserves to be there just as much if not more than Madonna based on seniority and success alone.

I adore Cher! There is no denying she is a legend of the entertainment industry. Personally I think she's a far better actress than Madonna and she did "push the envelope" in certain areas while Madonna was still a cheerleader in Michigan. However, I don't think she deserves to be in RRHOF...no way. She's never even made a completely solid album, they are all patchy. With Cher it seems you could completely remove her musical ouput from her career and she would still be a legend today based on her success in other areas. Cher looks like she has a lot of fun with her music and the "kitschiness" of her stage shows shows that she doesn't take herself seriously.

I feel like her impact/influence is more broad and not so music-centric like Madonna. Of course Madonna's fashion influence was felt outside of the music realm but Madonna completely changed the game for females in the music business specifically. She was also fortunate enough to come up when the MTV era was new and of course that visual outlet was perfect for someone like her and helped to show another side of her "artistry" but it was still related to her music directly. Unlike Cher, I don't think you could take away the music from Madonna's career and still have a "legendary career".

The whole show is boring regardless

Agree. And idull produces idols no more..

:rotfl::rotfl:

Guest Pud Whacker

Agree. And idull produces idols no more..

:rotfl::rotfl:

:rotfl:

what on earth is this cherbette? and those two are SO connected. its called THE WORST.

Again, that is just an opinion not a fact so there's really nothing wrong with anyone voicing their opinion on the two ladies. The only point I'm arguing is that Cyndi is a better vocalist and has put out some really amazing music during AND after the 80's...whether the latter was successful chart-wise or not is IRRELEVANT. There are plenty of artists who are just as talented as Madonna who don't get any airplay...do they deserve the title of "irrelevant"? I hardly think so.

Laupra's musical output has been dire 4 eons now..there's a reason why she's doing cheese pop

in homosexualist venues u know.. .

Sure, Cydney has a louder voice..but Madonna has a bigger range.. (even if it's paper thin :lmao: )

WORSTNESS :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I adore Cher! There is no denying she is a legend of the entertainment industry. Personally I think she's a far better actress than Madonna and she did "push the envelope" in certain areas while Madonna was still a cheerleader in Michigan. However, I don't think she deserves to be in RRHOF...no way. She's never even made a completely solid album, they are all patchy. With Cher it seems you could completely remove her musical ouput from her career and she would still be a legend today based on her success in other areas. Cher looks like she has a lot of fun with her music and the "kitschiness" of her stage shows shows that she doesn't take herself seriously.

I feel like her impact/influence is more broad and not so music-centric like Madonna. Of course Madonna's fashion influence was felt outside of the music realm but Madonna completely changed the game for females in the music business specifically. She was also fortunate enough to come up when the MTV era was new and of course that visual outlet was perfect for someone like her and helped to show another side of her "artistry" but it was still related to her music directly. Unlike Cher, I don't think you could take away the music from Madonna's career and still have a "legendary career".

She has made several completely solid albums...."It's A Man's World", "Stars" etc...

Neither were successful but they are amazingly solid albums

Laupra's musical output has been dire 4 eons now..there's a reason why she's doing cheese pop

in homosexualist venues u know.. .

Sure, Cydney has a louder voice..but Madonna has a bigger range.. (even if it's paper thin :lmao: )

It's Cyndi not "Cydney" and she's not doing cheese pop....her current albums is blues with the likes of BB King etc. Again, there's no comparison as far as voices go. Cyndi is a far better vocalist. She has a solid 5 octave range. Madonna's voice is weak. I think Cher put it best when she said that Madonna has done incredibly well with what little vocal talent she has...and I agree. I love Madonna for that very reason. You gotta work with what ya got!

With that said, I think Madonna sounded her best during the Evita era when she had proper vocal training then after Ray of Light it seems like she threw all of that out the window for later albums.

Edited by cherbette

She has made several completely solid albums...."It's A Man's World", "Stars" etc...

Neither were successful but they are amazingly solid albums

I think what u fail 2 realise is that within the 'rock n roll' context Cher barely made a dent.

She's fabulous, but she's also mainly a 'variety' act. U know when an established musical act goes

back to his or her roots u'll hear them say 'My new record is a throwback 2.., it's disco, r&b, pop etc..'.

Not Cher, for she has no musical identity..she simply packs up her wigs & goes back 2 Vegas.

Case dismissed.

:fag:

It's Cyndi not "Cydney" and she's not doing cheese pop....her current albums is blues with the likes of BB King etc. Again, there's no comparison as far as voices go. Cyndi is a far better vocalist. She has a solid 5 octave range. Madonna's voice is weak. I think Cher put it best when she said that Madonna has done incredibly well with what little vocal talent she has...and I agree. I love Madonna for that very reason. You gotta work with what ya got!

With that said, I think Madonna sounded her best during the Evita era when she had proper vocal training then after Ray of Light it seems like she threw all of that out the window for later albums.

U need 2 stop quoting from the book of jealousy & bring ur quotes up2 speed with 21st century Cherilyn Sarkisian Bono Allman..'Madonna is the best at everything, except movies.'

Cydnie can have all the octaves in the world that still don't make her more compelling or influential than Elvis, The Beatles, Lou Reed or Bawb Dylan..

I think what u fail 2 realise is that within the 'rock n roll' context Cher barely made a dent.

She's fabulous, but she's also mainly a 'variety' act. U know when an established musical act goes

back to his or her roots u'll hear them say 'My new record is a throwback 2.., it's disco, r&b, pop etc..'.

Not Cher, for she has no musical identity..she simply packs up her wigs & goes back Vegas.

Case dismissed.

:fag:

I think you're missing the point....Cher is so versatile as a vocalist that she can do any genre of music. Who wants to do the SAME kind of music for their entire career? Booooooooring! She can do any type of music. Just for the record when I hear "rock n roll" I hardly think Cher, Cyndi, or Madonna...it's more like Little Richard, Elvis, The Beatles etc...

As far as Vegas goes, offer me 100 million and see how quick I go work in Vegas. It's easy work. Besides, Cher is 64 years old. The road is a tremendous strain on someone of her age so Vegas is convenient for her. Case closed!

Edited by cherbette

U need 2 stop quoting from the book of jealousy & bring ur quotes up2 speed with 21st century Cherilyn Sarkisian Bono Allman..'Madonna is the best at everything, except movies.'

Cydnie can have all the octaves in the world that still don't make her more compelling or influential than Elvis, The Beatles, Lou Reed or Bawb Dylan..

Again, those are your opinions not facts. In my world, I'll take Cyndi over Madonna any day vocally...doesn't mean I don't still love Madonna.

You should add "except movies or singing live". 9 out of every 10 live performances I've seen Madonna give she sounded terrrrrrrribly pitchy. It's a classic case of amazing on-record but can't reproduce it live.

I think you're missing the point....Cher is so versatile as a vocalist that she can do any genre of music. Who wants to do the SAME kind of music for their entire career? Booooooooring! She can do any type of music. Just for the record when I hear "rock n roll" I hardly think Cher, Cyndi, or Madonna...it's more like Little Richard, Elvis, The Beatles etc...

Well gee wiz..as in the rock era. duh.. . Hence Vadge being in the Rock 'n Roll hall of fame.

I love Cher's howling man voice but I'd hardly call that versatile. Madonna is the true genius at that..Like A Virgin, Live To tell, Papa Don't preach, Evita, Frozen, Ray Of Light, Don't tell me..That's like 5-7 different singers..& having a hand in writing & producing her songs surely helps.