Did Madonna copy Cyndi Lauper?

Niitsitapi

I thought Madonna said she copied Bananarama?

I don't think Madonna has ever even been quoted saying their name. She once told them personally that she danced to their music before she was famous, most likely heard it in the clubs... their looks were similar because they were living parallel lives in NYC/London, both moved to big cities with no money and hung around artsy and musician types til they found their calling. Cyndi Lauper looked like she lived comfortably and just liked to dress up like a bag lady. I'm sure Madonna's look, similar to voguing, was around, just not in the mainstream until she made it so. Bananarama liked using men as sex objects as early as 1986 (their video for Venus and pretty much every one that followed) which is an area they were ahead of Madonna in, more than the clothing IMO. I don't know who else did that as early as 1986.

Cyndi always reminds me of a worse US version of Kim Wilde. I like some Cyndi but she just never had the potential of Madonna or other 80's pop divas.

I always thought America's Kim Wilde was Belinda Carlisle.

Guest jamesshot

Cyndi always reminds me of a worse US version of Kim Wilde. I like some Cyndi but she just never had the potential of Madonna or other 80's pop divas.

Exactly. As much as I loved some of her songs, Cyndi didn't have the potential of Madonna. She ran out of gas. Her music started sucking. Her act grew tiresome. Nobody cared.

I do get why so many female singers are either huge fans or hate her- Madonna just consumed so much air many found it impossible to compete. Kinda if you can't beat em, join em.

I always thought America's Kim Wilde was Belinda Carlisle.

You're kinda right (both comparisons work) but Kim had a more rock feel. Actually in the long run Kim had more UK success than Cyndi had US success :lol:

I heard that Warners told Nile Rodgers to speed Madonna's vocals up on Like A Virgin so that she sounded more like Cyndi who was bigger at the time, mainly due to her having more money pumped into the campaign for her debut album. I remember them both appearing on TOTPs for the first time, Cyndi went OTT and generally tried too hard. Madonna took the stage, looking like she'd just walked off the lower-east side and gave an understated peformance that was as COOL AS FUCK. Cyndi's career was well on the wane within a few years of that whilst Madonna was going from strenght to strength. It's no wonder she's a bitter old cunt about it. Oh and the Like A Virgin album would have been much better without the speeding up of the vocals.

That was from the mid-90s, yes? Since then, I think Cyndi got some sense in regards to saying that Madonna probably just wore the cone bra because she liked how it looked. Love me some Cyndi, but come on, girl.

When Madonna wore the corset it was so fashionably avant garde and so sophisticated, When she wore the suit with the cone bra corset piecing through the suit it was in no way trashy or prostitution looking, Cyndi's "Girls Just Want To Have Fun" Corset was not elegant in the way Madonna's was.

I like Cyndi. She can’t help herself from feeling resentful of Madonna’s overall status in the world. She sees herself as her contemporary but Madonna has transcended her original musical and visual incarnations during Cyndi’s time of commercial relevancy.

I don’t know how anyone could hate her beautiful voice.

F*ck Cyndi. Im SO seriously sick of hearing those SAME tired as hell songs on the radio from Shes So Unusual. Theres a real, solid reason why Cyndi is on Celebrity Apprentice and M...well, is NOT lmao.

It was quite a favorite at the time when the movie was released, brings back a lot of memories for me. Time after Time is the only other Cyndi song I liked.

That is almost like saying "I love Causing a Commotion very much. Another Madonna song that I really like is Like a Prayer". :lmao::lmao::lmao:

I don't think Madonna has ever even been quoted saying their name. She once told them personally that she danced to their music before she was famous, most likely heard it in the clubs... their looks were similar because they were living parallel lives in NYC/London, both moved to big cities with no money and hung around artsy and musician types til they found their calling. Cyndi Lauper looked like she lived comfortably and just liked to dress up like a bag lady. I'm sure Madonna's look, similar to voguing, was around, just not in the mainstream until she made it so. Bananarama liked using men as sex objects as early as 1986 (their video for Venus and pretty much every one that followed) which is an area they were ahead of Madonna in, more than the clothing IMO. I don't know who else did that as early as 1986.

No, I'm pretty certain she said it as I remember being excited to hear it. Can't think if it was the really old interview from Smash Hits or a recent one. Between Everybody and Holiday there was a massive transition in her look. I thought I remember her saying she liked the way they adapted their clothes. Must admit, if no one here can confirm it then I may be mistaken given the breadth of knowledge between us.