Gay Couple From Malawi Madonna Spoke Out For Have Been Released!

moe

Guest Pud Whacker

I'm a major Madonna Loon..

But this thread is fucking ridiculous.

It's not Madonna...but whatever.

so ackhole, you think if madonna had not said a word, they would have been pardoned?

From Vadge...well, Raising Malawi.

Dear Friend,

I have always believed love conquers all - yesterday I got to see it in action.

In the last week over 30,000 of you added your name to mine calling for the release of Steven Monjeza and Tiwonge Chimbalanga - the Malawi couple sentenced to 14 years hard labor for the "crime" of homosexuality.

With incredible joy, I am writing to share with you that Malawi President Bingu wa Mutharika has ordered their release. Steven and Tiwonge were freed on Saturday night. They have won their freedom and you have been a part of it.

I would love to hear your reaction to this news. Share your thoughts now:

http://www.raisingmalawi.org/lovewins

We celebrate this astounding turn of events with Steven, Tiwonge, and the countless Malawians fighting for their release. It is a historic day for Malawi.

Though they are free from prison, sadly their safety and future in Malawi is still unknown. I hope this is just the beginning of our work together.

Human rights injustices continue for so many Malawians facing poverty, disease, and a lack of critical resources. There are still over two million orphans and vulnerable children who need to experience love's embrace.

It is going to take the love and creativity of all of us to bring justice to the people of Malawi.

That's why I would like to hear from you. Tell me your thoughts on this important day in Malawi:

http://www.raisingmalawi.org/lovewins

Thank you for joining me in Raising Malawi.

With great love,

Madonna

so ackhole, you think if madonna had not said a word, they would have been pardoned?

Pudsilah there's certain governments that invested way more money in that shithole than M.

They've been on this case way before M wrote her letter. Um hello the U.N???

Guest chatty kathy

You can argue about it if you don't believe she helped.

I just read her thank you message.

I know she helped.

You can argue about it if you don't believe she helped.

I just read her thank you message.

I know she helped.

Why choose to ignore the politcians & humanitarians..The U.N secretary general met with the President.

They did the WORKS. Give credit where credit is due :fag:

http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b183541_madonna_miracle_malawi_releases_gay.html?cmpid=rss-000000-rssfeed-365-topstories&utm_source=eonline&utm_medium=rssfeeds&utm_campaign=rss_topstories

When Madonna talks, it appears the Malawian government listens.

The Queen of Pop, who launched a vocal campaign to free a gay Malawian couple locked up for homosexuality, is now celebrating their release.

After being sentenced to 14 years hard labor for gross indecency and unnatural acts, Steven Monjenza and Tiwonge Chimbalanga were released on Saturday by the president of Malawi on "humanitarian" grounds.

Upon hearing the news of the couple's imprisonment, Madonna said she was "shocked and saddened" by the government's decision, and called upon people all over the world to sound off against the ruling. Homosexuality is still illegal in the African country.

Once the two were freed, Madonna took to her blog to thank the thousands of people who joined her in her campaign to release the couple.

"I have always believed love conquers all—yesterday I got to see it in action," Madonna said in a statement. "In the last week over 30,000 of you added your name to mine calling for the release of Steven Monjeza and Tiwonge Chimbalangal—the Malawi couple sentenced to 14 years hard labor for the "crime" of homosexuality. With incredible joy, I am writing to share with you that Malawi President Bingu wa Mutharika has ordered their release."

Government officials from all over the world also called for the release of the couple.

Although Monjeza and Chimbalanga are out of prison, their travails aren't over. Activists are still working to find a safe haven for the couple, who were taken into custody following a commitment ceremony.

"Though they are free from prison, sadly their safety and future in Malawi is still unknown. I hope this is just the beginning of our work together," Madonna said.

Madonna has adopted two children from Malawi, and is currently building a school for girls in the country through her Raising Malawi charity.

http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b183541_madonna_miracle_malawi_releases_gay.html?cmpid=rss-000000-rssfeed-365-topstories&utm_source=eonline&utm_medium=rssfeeds&utm_campaign=rss_topstories

The Queen of Pop, who launched a vocal campaign to free a gay Malawian couple locked up for homosexuality, is now celebrating their release.

After being sentenced to 14 years hard labor for gross indecency and unnatural acts, Steven Monjenza and Tiwonge Chimbalanga were released on Saturday by the president of Malawi on "humanitarian" grounds.

Upon hearing the news of the couple's imprisonment, Madonna said she was "shocked and saddened" by the government's decision, and called upon people all over the world to sound off against the ruling. Homosexuality is still illegal in the African country.

Once the two were freed, Madonna took to her blog to thank the thousands of people who joined her in her campaign to release the couple.

"I have always believed love conquers all—yesterday I got to see it in action," Madonna said in a statement. "In the last week over 30,000 of you added your name to mine calling for the release of Steven Monjeza and Tiwonge Chimbalangal—the Malawi couple sentenced to 14 years hard labor for the "crime" of homosexuality. With incredible joy, I am writing to share with you that Malawi President Bingu wa Mutharika has ordered their release."

Government officials from all over the world also called for the release of the couple.

Although Monjeza and Chimbalanga are out of prison, their travails aren't over. Activists are still working to find a safe haven for the couple, who were taken into custody following a commitment ceremony.

"Though they are free from prison, sadly their safety and future in Malawi is still unknown. I hope this is just the beginning of our work together," Madonna said.

Madonna has adopted two children from Malawi, and is currently building a school for girls in the country through her Raising Malawi charity.

"In all aspects of reasoning, in all aspects of human understanding, these two gay boys were wrong - totally wrong,"- Mr Mutharika

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/10190653.stm

Yep. Sounds like real triumph of love there.

Guest chatty kathy

Why choose to ignore the politcians & humanitarians..The U.N secretary general met with the President.

They did the WORKS. Give credit where credit is due :fag:

I am. I didn't say M did it alone. But I'm not going to say her 'investment' in Malawi,

and 30,000 + signatures attched to hers, has nothing to do w/it and should be mocked either.

Can we agree that it took a village so to speak, and not a single individual?

Guest Pud Whacker

http://www.eonline.c...=rss_topstories

:thumbsup:

Perez just reported this... :lmao:

The Power Of Madonna! Malawi Releases Gay Couple After Madge Protests!

Yes!!!!

Thank you, Madonna!

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! A victory worth celebrating!

In what could only be described as a true testament to Madonna's greatness, the Malawi goverment has agreed to release a gay couple who was arrested on the charge of being gay!

The Material Girl, upon hearing the disgusting news, began a crusade against the ruling and became very vocal about the injustice of putting two men away in prison for 14 years because they were brave enough to be who they are. She called upon her fans to do the same, which was enough to get the president of Malawi to concede.

On Saturday, Steven Monjenza and Tiwonge Chimbalanga were released from prison on "humanitarian" grounds. Once they were free, Madonna posted this message to her blog:

"I have always believed love conquers all—yesterday I got to see it in action. In the last week over 30,000 of you added your name to mine calling for the release of Steven Monjeza and Tiwonge Chimbalangal—the Malawi couple sentenced to 14 years hard labor for the "crime" of homosexuality. With incredible joy, I am writing to share with you that Malawi President Bingu wa Mutharika has ordered their release."

Beautiful! See the joy that can come from a united front against inequality!

While Steven and Tiwonge still have a long journey ahead of them, perhaps now they see how special they truly are!

We are so filled with pride! The 30,000 of you that helped should be too!

Oh lord. Are we considering E! Online a reputable and de facto news source now? :electropop:

I think the White House has a lot more power than Madonna. They do control nuclear weapons after all and let's not forget that Madonna caved to the Bush fear-mongering machine when she canceled her own "American Life" video. The complete lack of reality in this forum is striking some times.

it's as clear as the day is long to me that she influenced this decision. :):thumbsup:

From Liz Smith's column:

Those who never want to credit Madonna for anything insist it was the presence of top echelon U.N. types in Malawi who managed to free that gay couple sentenced to 14 years in prison. Those in the know believe that Madonna pulled every string, made every ominous call suggesting her famous support for the country might evaporate if the men werenÂ’t released. Now, Madonna says, "I just hope to hell they get out of Dodge, fast!"

http://www.wowowow.com/culture/liz-smith-victoria-beckham-hunger-hollywood-476128

Guest AntiVirgin

good on madonna !!! so will lady gaga now dedicate her "celebration and an admiration of gay love" alejandro to them ;)

but seriously, someone needs to work out a way to get them asylum somewhere !