THE Madonna/Lady GaGa Thread

akurren

yes, it´s impossible to be a dance-pop female singer and not be influenced by madonna, both musically or image wise (jennifer lopez, christina...and yes, britney too, although I also think she´s more influenced by janet).to be influenced by somebody is not bad, in fact we all know that madonna has copied a lot of things, sometimes nearly everything, from another artists

SUSAN SARANDON:

THE HISTORY OF WOMEN IN POPULAR MUSIC CAN, PRETTY MUCH, BE DIVIDED INTO BEFORE AND AFTER MADONNA.

Madonna has done so much so it's pretty hard not to be influenced or at least seem like you've been influenced by her but it's possible. And it's certainly possible to not blatantly rip-off Madonna, which I don't think most pop stars ever do. I think when artists try to pay homage to Madonna it's seen as ripping off because Madonna is still very much in the game, usually when you pay homage like that, I mean to the extent of wearing a replica of M's BA costume which I saw Gaga do once, it's when they're dead legends. I don't care, it's whatever to me (even though I think it's unfortuneate that some of the younger peeps don't even realize the references). But bottom line: Madonna is the Queen. Try seeming original in the pop star world after her, and you will struggle. The End.

I'm not trying to turn this into an anti-Gaga diatribe thread, because I like her a lot too, but she is basically in the center of her "1985" on the Madonna timeline. She is living through her equivalent of the Like A Virgin hurricane of publicity, which does mean she is huge - but to be an unstoppable force, she will need to turn out a True Blue juggernaut next year, and a Like A Prayer Extinction Level Event in 2014.

to be honest I pretty much remember Madonna's '85 to be more explosive than what I've witnessed so far with Gaga and that's even without all the internet hype. I mean, where are all the Gaga wannabes? As someone else mentioned, Madonna wasn't really being compared to anyone else back then so there was something seemingly unique about her from the get go. I may start believing the Gaga hype if she does indeed turn out that juggernaut next year but its gonna be difficult for her to keep people interested. The reason? She reinvents herself on a daily basis...how long can she keep that up and how long before we don't even care?

SUSAN SARANDON:

THE HISTORY OF WOMEN IN POPULAR MUSIC CAN, PRETTY MUCH, BE DIVIDED INTO BEFORE AND AFTER MADONNA.

Really that's all that needs to be said and this.....and I think Liz Phair said it...and I'm paraphrasing a bit...

MADONNA IS THE SPEEDBOAT. THE REST OF US ARE JUST GO-GO'S ON WATER SKIS.

Madonna completely changed the blueprint for females in the business. It's inevitable that her influence will be seen in nearly everyone in one way or another. Whether it be in looks, sound or business sensibility......some like Gaga of course do tend to pay "hommage" in all of those areas moreso than others. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery though right? I think it gets frustrating for M fans when Gaga fans don't even acknowledge that she is HEAVILY influenced by M. The comment underneath the "Is every female artist after Madonna influenced by her?" article where someone said Gaga is a better artist because she writes her own songs and Madonna doesn't is really....just no. With ALL the resources out there at their fingertips one would think kids today would be more informed.

U R SO FAKE

U WANT someone BAN ME BECAUSE I SAID TRUTH ABOUT KYLIE.

:crazy:

No, cause you're an ANNOYING CUNT who posts constant streams of barely coherent gibberish after gibberish and shit redundant trouble making threads that have NOTHING TO DO with Madonna

Guest jamesshot

I love how people see Gaga play the piano and they instantly think she must be talented. I've noticed this for other artists as well. If you play the piano most people seem to instantly give you the talent card.

I love how people see Gaga play the piano and they instantly think she must be talented. I've noticed this for other artists as well. If you play the piano most people seem to instantly give you the talent card.

:clap::clap::clap::bow::bow::bow: Lady Caca is WAYYYY too overrated. So Been there done that. Another chick will come out of the woods in a year or two and Caca will be a distant memory.

So playing the piano and being able to write hits for yourself and others on it doesnt really constitute a talent. Good stuff.

Guest jamesshot

So playing the piano and being able to write hits for yourself and others on it doesnt really constitute a talent. Good stuff.

Yawn. Of course you would misconstrue what I said.

Guest Pud Whacker

What exactly DID you say?

that all someone has to do is see a piano and all of a sudden THEYRE TALENTED.

case in point: debbie gibson.

so whats madonnas shadow up to today? out promoting one of her up and coming,button pushing products?

see here

Is it possible to be a female pop star and not rip off Madonna?

gaga.jpg

I absolutely believe it's possible; but because Madonna is so relevant in the pop music industry, it's going to take someone who genuinely thinks outside of the box and organically has his or her finger on the pulse of the cultural subconscious to do this. KEY WORDS are organically and genuinely

We live in a lazy culture where money dictates creativity and respect more than ever; for example: reality stars replaced real actors = they are cheap and bring ratings; the internet replaced real journalism = who needs college when you can blog ? recycle old, surefire successful ideas: movie remakes, song samples, and Madonna wannabes come to mind.

There's very little thought that goes into art anymore. Technology has taken away the importance of using your brain. It's going to take someone very special to change the scene around. To me, Madonna is still this person.

Edited by stumble upon

Guest jamesshot

LOL. I thought what I said was pretty clear. Glad you saw the same thing. :)