Madonna 'quits music' saying she doesn’t have the ‘time or energy’

TOUR2008

Guest WordsTheyAlwaysAttack

more upbeat than music

plastic in comparison to american life

not as good as confessions at all though beat goes on and dance2night are right up there with confessions tracks if not better

still a good album though

No REAL FAN could ever love Hard Candy. :tongue:

I love it. :horn:

Sometimes I don't get the hostility that album garners. I mean, I realize American Life isn't everyone's favorite, but Hard Candy really seems to have a special hatred among some fans. I think it's a solid effort, even if it's not her best.

Anyway, back to topic...I think a new Madonna album is coming in the fall of 2011.

Hard Candy is her biggest disaster, because even in hard times like Erotica or American Life, at least you knew that she had tried hard and was misunderstood. With Hard Candy it's pretty clear that she didn't try hard at all. Not even singing.

And i am glad that she has admited that she didn't focus on her music and that she doesn't have the energy right now. If she were going to release another shitty album or a song like Revolver, she could shove it up her shaved cunt!

I hope she focus on what she's doing, either filming, or writing books or designing clothes or writing music. If she tries to do 2 things at the same time it would be like being on mass and playing the bells at the same time: im-po-ssi-ble

Guest WordsTheyAlwaysAttack

oh and I think Celebration is the worst Madonna song I have heard in my life since I heard of her in 86 in my formative years, so maybe it's good she's not doing music if it's going to sound like that.

Hard Candy is her biggest disaster, because even in hard times like Erotica or American Life, at least you knew that she had tried hard and was misunderstood. With Hard Candy it's pretty clear that she didn't try hard at all. Not even singing.

:rotfl::wacko::crazy:

That must be why it produced one of the biggest singles of her career, and one of the top 10 selling albums of the year.....WORLDWIDE.

I just love how people who hate it, feel that their PERSONAL OPINION is the only valid one, regardless of the facts.

Yes, as Miss Ciccone says: "I've heard it all before".

After 4 Minutes faded (a hit thanks to Justin Timberlake, get real and open your eyes) the album disappeared for good and the rest of the singles were from flop to floppest (Miles Away being her biggest flop until Revolver). And thanks to that "succesful" album, Madonna has been at her lowest in terms of popularity.

Oh, and for those who will come to talk about the mega succesful Sticky and Sweet, let me remind you three words: half-empy-venues.

:thumbsup:

Yes, as Miss Ciccone says: "I've heard it all before".

After 4 Minutes faded (a hit thanks to Justin Timberlake, get real and open your eyes) the album disappeared for good and the rest of the singles were from flop to floppest (Miles Away being her biggest flop until Revolver). And thanks to that "succesful" album, Madonna has been at her lowest in terms of popularity.

Oh, and for those who will come to talk about the mega succesful Sticky and Sweet, let me remind you three words: half-empy-venues.

:lmao::rotfl:

Half empty venues??? :lmao::wacko:

Lowest popularity ever? Faded album? Half empty venues? :lmao:

What planet are you on? The S&S tour was the highest grossing solo tour ever....but yeah, she sure was/is UNPOPULAR.

:rotfl::wacko::crazy:

That must be why it produced one of the biggest singles of her career, and one of the top 10 selling albums of the year.....WORLDWIDE.

I just love how people who hate it, feel that their PERSONAL OPINION is the only valid one, regardless of the facts.

Exactly. HC may not be a seminal album in her catalog like a ROL etc but acting like it was a MISTAKE in her catalog is overdramatic (go figure in board full of queens...haha). You don't like it fine, but it was a success for her. And I'm gonna dig this old one up because it's the truth and I don't care how anyone tries to spin it.....certain Madonna fans don't like her doing what is perceived as "R&B music", they don't like her associated with "those artists". Take that as you will. :)

I love how people are taking her quote to mean that she's referencing Hard Candy. That's not the case, she referencing the time SINCE HC when she has barely done anything at all from a musical standpoint. It's now been over 2 years since HC, in "normal" circumstances we'd be expecting an album within the next 6 months or so and she/we would know some details most likely at this point. She hasn't even began work on a second album and it's been over 2 years since her last album. THAT is what she means by not being as focused on her music. When she's making music, she focused on it or she wouldn't be doing it. Who's to say HC HAD to come out right when it did? If SHE was dissatisfied with it you can bet your bank account we wouldn't have heard it. She even mentioned that she loved and was "inspired" by Justin's album in several interviews at that time. Why do certain fans have such a hard time accepting that she actually liked "that sound"?

Well...since *I* think Erotica sounds half assed and her vocals are lazy and *I* don't care for it as much as her other albums than she must not have been into it while recording it. Since that is *my* opinion (aka: the right opinion) then *I* know that's how Madonna felt when she was recording. She just wanted to get through it. That's how *I* hear it so that's what it is. :crazy:

I MEAN REAALLLLLY??? IS THAT TRULY HOW ARROGANT SOME OF YOU PEOPLE ARE?? :lol: Then you actually have the nerve to call OTHERS loons?? All the while your channeling your own opinion onto her and making yourself believe that because you aren't feeling her album she wasn't? To quote a brilliant song I "can't get my head around" fans who are THAT into someone. It's a bit unsettling to say the least.

What's next? I think Jesus is ugly so Madonna MUST think he's a dog and is only using him for publicity?? I mean....we can apply that loony line of thinking to any aspect of her career really. Go ahead, pick an era you don't care for, now convince yourself WHY Madonna wasn't into it as much. I'd be curious to read someone do this who didn't care for ROL and see the responses.... :lol:

Exactly. HC may not be a seminal album in her catalog like a ROL etc but acting like it was a MISTAKE in her catalog is overdramatic (go figure in board full of queens...haha). You don't like it fine, but it was a success for her. And I'm gonna dig this old one up because it's the truth and I don't care how anyone tries to spin it.....certain Madonna fans don't like her doing what is perceived as "R&B music", they don't like her associated with "those artists". Take that as you will. :)

I love how people are taking her quote to mean that she's referencing Hard Candy. That's not the case, she referencing the time SINCE HC when she has barely done anything at all from a musical standpoint. It's now been over 2 years since HC, in "normal" circumstances we'd be expecting an album within the next 6 months or so and she/we would know some details most likely at this point. She hasn't even began work on a second album and it's been over 2 years since her last album. THAT is what she means by not being as focused on her music. When she's making music, she focused on it or she wouldn't be doing it. Who's to say HC HAD to come out right when it did? If SHE was dissatisfied with it you can bet your bank account we wouldn't have heard it. She even mentioned that she loved and was "inspired" by Justin's album in several interviews at that time. Why do certain fans have such a hard time accepting that she actually liked "that sound"?

Well...since *I* think Erotica sounds half assed and her vocals are lazy and *I* don't care for it as much as her other albums than she must not have been into it while recording it. Since that is *my* opinion (aka: the right opinion) then *I* know that's how Madonna felt when she was recording. She just wanted to get through it. That's how *I* hear it so that's what it is. :crazy:

I MEAN REAALLLLLY??? IS THAT TRULY HOW ARROGANT SOME OF YOU PEOPLE ARE?? :lol: Then you actually have the nerve to call OTHERS loons?? All the while your channeling your own opinion onto her and making yourself believe that because you aren't feeling her album she wasn't? To quote a brilliant song I "can't get my head around" fans who are THAT into someone. It's a bit unsettling to say the least.

What's next? I think Jesus is ugly so Madonna MUST think he's a dog and is only using him for publicity?? I mean....we can apply that loony line of thinking to any aspect of her career really. Go ahead, pick an era you don't care for, now convince yourself WHY Madonna wasn't into it as much. I'd be curious to read someone do this who didn't care for ROL and see the responses.... :lol:

ALL OF THIS :thumbsup:

:lmao::rotfl:

Half empty venues??? :lmao::wacko:

Lowest popularity ever? Faded album? Half empty venues? :lmao:

What planet are you on? The S&S tour was the highest grossing solo tour ever....but yeah, she sure was/is UNPOPULAR.

You know if posters like myself are considered by some posters as the "loons" with supposed over zealous exaggerated views of Madonna's success, then karbatal is the exact opposite of that.

karbatal, you sure do try to SPIN facts to validate your own opinion. This is the real deal about the "half empty" venues on the mega flop S&S tour:

First off, every single show of the tour was reported as 100% sell out EXCEPT for a date in Sevilla, Spain. Poor Madge was only 82% sold out that night and had the misfortune of performing in front of only 47,000 people instead of 60,000....I'm sure she was crushed. Mind you 47,000 people could fill nearly 2 arenas.

And when you say Madonna is at her lowest in terms of popularity? What are you using to form that opinion? It couldn't be album sales since she's done worse in the past. It couldn't be the tour since it's the most successful for her....or any solo artist. It's like you think it's 1990 and EVERY single Madonna releases is going to be a worldwide mega hit. That's just not going to happen back to back to back like it did in her heyday. I'm just curious on what FACTS you base these observations on. It sounds like everything you say is based on YOUR opinion and no facts.

AMEN.

Speaking the truth as always.

well i think what madonna said is pretty clear. you dont have to read between the lines... she isn't QUITTING music, but she is taking a break from it. Which could mean 6 months or 2 years. So who knows?

:thumbsup: very true!

Well said. And if I wrote those same words, I'd been attacked and insulted for writing an "essay". But you're spot on. :thumbsup:

Guest Coked Up Baby Boy

I can't believe we are STILL having these conversations so long after HC came out :rotfl:

Guest HydroTrippin

4 Tours and 3 albums... The first tour was Sticky and Sweet! Wtf, I don't understand. The deal was clear. THREE ALBUMS. Why she says she doesn't have a label. Livenation is the label. Livenation released Jay-Z's last album. Livenation needs to just find a real label to distribute it, but the promo and all that is livenation's job.

I thought LiveNation had their own label called ArtistNation ?

Anywho, I also remember the deal she signed stated 3 albums, as well as 3 (or 4?) tours.

When I hear someone say Madonna's quitting music, it reminds me of when Madonna quit touring in the early 90's. Here's what Madonna said in the Girlie Show tour book:

When I finished the "Blond Ambition" tour, I swore on my life that I would never even think of going on tour again as long as I lived. I was spent. I was exhausted. I was sick of traveling. I wanted stability. so, I threw myself into making movies, recording a new album, and I also put out a book called sex. So much for stability.

Needless to say, as rewarding as all these creative endeavors were to me, they could not take the place of performing live. Theater is my life--or is my life theater? I'm not sure and it really doesn't matter. Being on stage is where I feel most alive, and it's where I'm able to pull all of my creative energies into one outlet. It's the only place where I can combine all of my influences and all of my inspirations into one living, breathing animal. The stage is the only environment where cubist painting, burlesque, flamenco dancing and the circus can live together under one cozy roof. Taking the adventure one step further is to play in front of a different audience every night. dealing with different cultures, different expectations, different ways of expressing pleasure and bewilderment--this to me is the ultimate thrill. The ultimate risk. And I love taking risks. You may have heard that about me. There's no way this book could truly recapture the excitement of the "Girlie Show", but it comes pretty damn close.

By the way, if you ever hear me say, "I'm never going on tour again", don't believe me.

Enjoy

Madonna

Till the day she dies, Madonna will never quit making music.

/\ but Madonna NEVER said she's quitting music. The original article and some fans have just interpreted it that way simply because she stated she hasn't focused a lot of her time in music lately. It had nothing to do with her last album. It all has to do since the tour, she hasn't focused much on her music career. She recognizes it's important, but also interested in working on other projects.

Let her work on her film and hopefully within that time, she'll get back in the studio or get more inspired to put something cool together.

Thank you. This is what I was thinking... She's referring to the fact that she hasn't been working on another album SINCE she worked on Hard Candy. Sure, she recorded two songs for the greatest hits -- but that was fast, two days in a studio with one producer, another day with another producer and that was it. In terms of the amount of time/effort she spent on those tracks in comparison to the amount of focus she's expending on this film project, it's comparatively lesser. (And yes, of course, we all know her involvement/input with "Revolver" was pretty minimal other than showing up to sing the track... But then, that's really not the first time in M's career that's happened, though some would like to make us believe otherwise.) Plus, consider how long ago it really was that she recorded with Pharrell and JT/Timbaland... She worked on "Hey You" with Pharrell -- and "Candy Shop" leaked in (basically) final form almost a year prior to Hard Candy's official release. It's been a long while since she was in the creative phases of Hard Candy's production... I really don't think this quote is applicable. She's describing her current state of being -- Hard Candy was two years ago now. Even when touring, her focus isn't solely on the music -- there's so much else that she has to manage along with the music. There weren't a whole lot of musical changes between the first round of S&ST and the victory lap, so she didn't really focus on her music with that project either.

While it may not be a watershed album, it was a solid effort. I enjoy it, and I think it's foolish for anyone to suggest Madonna didn't care about it. She certainly put enough effort it to performing the songs live for a hugely record-breaking tour. If she really didn't like it that much, she could have performed "4 Minutes," "Miles Away," and maybe "Give It 2 Me" and then rounded out the rest of the setlist with older tracks. But she didn't -- only "Incredible," "Dance 2Night," and "Voices" didn't get a live treatment. (And "Voices" was sampled, so...)

Guest Pud Whacker

I thought LiveNation had their own label called ArtistNation ?

Anywho, I also remember the deal she signed stated 3 albums, as well as 3 (or 4?) tours.

When I hear someone say Madonna's quitting music, it reminds me of when Madonna quit touring in the early 90's. Here's what Madonna said in the Girlie Show tour book:

Till the day she dies, Madonna will never quit making music.

lets go back even further - madonna 1988 after the whos that girl tour:

spin_1988_madonna_music_video.jpg

its like when you find a great restaurant and you go everynight and then all of a sudden you hate it. then you stop going - thn on day you miss it and go back and realize why you loved it in the first place.

and if we go back even further to the virgin tour - she said: i will never tour again unless my manager puts a gun to my head.

:lol:

Guest megstar

I went to The Reinvention Tour in 2004 and the venue in Miami was half empty. I went a different night then the one that was in the documentary. I think the concert shown in IGTTYAS was opening night. I enjoyed the concert.

I don't really care if Madonna doesn't record an album for a couple of years. If her older music continues to be celebrated like it was in the "Glee" episode, her popularity in the United States will increase. "Glee" was a smart move. My 18 year old sister liked the episode. She probably knew all the songs because I used to play Madonna music when I took her to elementary school many years ago. She recently told me that her friends didn't know Madonna's music but she was glad that I had exposed her to some "culture". I was really touched by her comment :-).