"Glee": The Power of Madonna

HolidayGuy

Guest groovyguy

I meant no disrespect, it just reminded me of the Uncyclopedia article (parody of Wikipedia) where they claim Madonna is an alien that was born in the 1800s!

Madonna At Uncyclopedia

Thanx for the link! Never heard of the site b4.

Last night's ratings...

9:00pm NBC Dateline NBC (9-11p) 7.08

ABC Jamie Oliver’s Food Revolution 3.91

CBS Medium (repeat) 4.53

FOX Glee (repeat) 2.59

CW America’s Next Top Model (repeat) 1.49

Last night's ratings...

9:00pm NBC Dateline NBC (9-11p) 7.08

ABC Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution 3.91

CBS Medium (repeat) 4.53

FOX Glee (repeat) 2.59

CW America's Next Top Model (repeat) 1.49

FLOP????

FLOP what? It's a repeat and on a Friday night. TV audiences on Friday nights have always been MUCH lower. And pretty much anybody who would've watched this show watched it during the initial airing. It already got it's huge audience on Tuesday and payoff in major music sales. This repeat was just more gravy.

Oh, Ryan- he says he's considering a Britney Spears episode, after the manager expressed interest. :crazy:

From ew.com:

'Glee' creator Ryan Murphy on an all-Britney Spears episode: 'I'm interested'

by Tim Stack

Good news for Britney Spears and Glee fans: series creator Ryan Murphy tells EW that an all-Britney episode of the hit Fox musical, an idea floated by Spears’ manager via twitter on April 21 after Tuesday’s all-Madonna Glee, is actually being considered. Says Murphy, “I’m interested in the Britney Spears idea. I’ve always loved her. I’m entertaining it. I think young kids would like that.” Murphy also says that he’s contemplating doing similar hour tributes to Billy Joel, Led Zeppelin, and, even, Courtney Love! “I actually ran into Courtney Love the other day and talked to her,” says Murphy. “She’s interested. I would love to have the kids do a Courtney Love episode one day.” But he stresses that with all of these artists it really all comes down to the music and how it fits in the Glee universe. “The key is the songs in the catalogue have to have a certain degree of theatricality,” says Murphy.

With the “Power of Madonna” soundtrack set to debut at #1 next week and dominating the iTunes download charts, Murphy says Madonna has been more than pleased with their treatment of her tunes. “She said how much she loved the episode,” he admits. “She thought it was brilliant and she’s so pleased. Her daughter got to watch it with her and loved it. [Madonna's] a smart cookie. I mean that introduced her music to an entire new generation.”

Oh, Ryan- he says he's considering a Britney Spears episode, after the manager expressed interest. :crazy:

From ew.com:

by Tim Stack

Good news for Britney Spears and Glee fans: series creator Ryan Murphy tells EW that an all-Britney episode of the hit Fox musical, an idea floated by Spears’ manager via twitter on April 21 after Tuesday’s all-Madonna Glee, is actually being considered. Says Murphy, “I’m interested in the Britney Spears idea. I’ve always loved her. I’m entertaining it. I think young kids would like that.” Murphy also says that he’s contemplating doing similar hour tributes to Billy Joel, Led Zeppelin, and, even, Courtney Love! “I actually ran into Courtney Love the other day and talked to her,” says Murphy. “She’s interested. I would love to have the kids do a Courtney Love episode one day.” But he stresses that with all of these artists it really all comes down to the music and how it fits in the Glee universe. “The key is the songs in the catalogue have to have a certain degree of theatricality,” says Murphy.

With the “Power of Madonna” soundtrack set to debut at #1 next week and dominating the iTunes download charts, Murphy says Madonna has been more than pleased with their treatment of her tunes. “She said how much she loved the episode,” he admits. “She thought it was brilliant and she’s so pleased. Her daughter got to watch it with her and loved it. [Madonna's] a smart cookie. I mean that introduced her music to an entire new generation.”

Can't say I'm thrilled... But I'd rather see this than an all-Gaga episode. I think that both of them are still too new of artists to have an entire episode. Oh well.

Guest jamesshot

An all Britney episode will completely ruin the experience for me.

Utterly terrible idea. If they are going to do an all artist episode they need to stick to the cream of the crop.

Britney? LOL. Even the worst singer on Glee could outsing her on her own songs.

Courtney Love does not in any way deserve this treatment either. Billy Joel and Led Zepplin? Absolutely. Lady Gaga? No.

When did GLEE become too good for featuring specific artists? I think it's absolutely absurd to start condemning which artist deserves to be feature on the show or not. Lady Ga Ga and Britney both have made a huge impact in the music industry... like it or not. Featuring Lady Ga Ga at this time whether it's just a few songs or a whole show could be a ratings booster. I can't be sure if Britney at this time would have the same impact, but I'm sure it will do fairly well.

I don't believe either artist will stir up the same attention Madonna has for GLEE, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to feature any songs from those artists.

From ew.com:

by Tim Stack

I can't believe he's considering so many. The novelty is going to wear off fast and soon artists are gonna pay to get their own episodes. To be honest, the only four acts who I feel have enough cultural impact and legacy to deserve an entire episode is Madonna (who's episode was brilliant), MJ, The Beatles, and Elvis Presley. They are the only 4 who could have an entire episode filled with references and iconic songs. To put it plainly, Britney simply isn't enough of an icon for that. Can you picture Sue and her Cheerio's playing a tribute to Britney, or Sue being able to force Principal Figgins to play COURTNEY LOVE in the hallways? Come on.

True, jamesshot- when I heard that Spears' manager was campaigning for an episode, I thought the one positive was that "Glee's" versions actually could improve upon the originals. :demonic:

Lymon, I'm sure other one-act shows would take an approach different to the one done for M. Murphy had said he could see these kinds of shows being done infrequently- hopefully he sticks to that, and doesn't make the concept gimmicky by overdoing it. I mean, he said they're in talks for a second Madonna episode as it is.

Guest jamesshot

When did GLEE become too good for featuring specific artists? I think it's absolutely absurd to start condemning which artist deserves to be feature on the show or not. Lady Ga Ga and Britney both have made a huge impact in the music industry... like it or not. Featuring Lady Ga Ga at this time whether it's just a few songs or a whole show could be a ratings booster. I can't be sure if Britney at this time would have the same impact, but I'm sure it will do fairly well.

I don't believe either artist will stir up the same attention Madonna has for GLEE, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to feature any songs from those artists.

It isn't absurd. If they are going to do one artist episodes they should stick to those who are legends and truly deserve it. Yeah, that may be subjective but it isn't a stretch. Britney is a no-talent hack. If they start doing these episodes for lesser artists the impacet will start to greatly diminish and they will lose their special-ness. Doing some Gaga songs is one thing but not a whole episode.

Well, I certainly agree that GLEE producers should reserve full shows to artists that have been established for some quite time. But I don't agree the show is about who's put their mark on music history the longest or such. In the end, it's about celebrating music.

And Lymon, keep in mind GLEE isn't always particularly focused on a specific artist if they feature them. Of course, if one whole show is geared around one artist, like they did Madonna, I guess there will be a lot of references from the characters about the relevancy of the artist, but each show would be different. Just because Sue championed Madonna throughout the whole show last week, means she would do the same for other artists. I'm sure they would have the Sue character approach it differently.

Judging by some of the songs used in the show, it's obviously not about great acts and/or songs all of the time. But for whole episodes, I do think Ryan Murphy should really consider wisely who to focus an episode around. I mean, if he does a show around one act, I don't see why they couldn't do all songs by one act, and not necessarily have the storyline centered around that act.

An all Britney episode will completely ruin the experience for me.

Utterly terrible idea. If they are going to do an all artist episode they need to stick to the cream of the crop.

Britney? LOL. Even the worst singer on Glee could outsing her on her own songs.

Courtney Love does not in any way deserve this treatment either. Billy Joel and Led Zepplin? Absolutely. Lady Gaga? No.

Actually, an all-Britney episode would be great! I'd love to see what her songs are like when actually sung by someone who... Well, can!

Guest Coked Up Baby Boy

Why should they stick to singing "cream of the crop"???? this isn't Broadway :lmao: it's just a teen fag musical.

They should sing music by popular acts, both Brit and Gaga are hugely popular. Let's not take all this shit so seriously :doh:

Why should they stick to singing "cream of the crop"???? this isn't Broadway :lmao: it's just a teen fag musical.

They should sing music by popular acts, both Brit and Gaga are hugely popular. Let's not take all this shit so seriously :doh:

I don't think anyone is saying they shouldn't feature Britney and Gaga songs, but it would be kind of lame for them to dedicate an ENTIRE show to their music after hyping the Madonna episode up as a tribute to her cultural impact. It would be more like they're trashing her legacy by just giving anyone who happens to be popular the same treatment as they've given her. There's plenty of other artists who deserve it more than Britney or Lady Gaga. Why not The Rolling Stones or Elton John or Prince or any other legendary artists who rarely get paid their due respect because the media chooses to focus on what's hot right now? It showed integrity for Glee to take a chance on a Madonna episode considering she's not exactly killing the charts right now. Basing their decisions on popularity would just throw all of that out of the window. They don't need to chase trends to be successful and the Madonna episode proved that.

Guest Coked Up Baby Boy

Rolling Stones and Elton John are DONE. Madonna is not done, nowhere near. It wasn't a risk doing a Madonna episode, especially since the audience Glee generates are mostly fags anyway.

Britney Spears may not be relevant to YOUR pop culture, but she is to many kids that grew up with her. Britney is not "hot right now", she's been around 11 years, and has had enough ENORMOUS success and well known songs to garner a full episode. I wouldn't be surprised if her episode pulled in more viewers than Madonnas, since she has a hold on the younger market more than M does.

I don;t care if a Brit episode is done or not, but seeing one come up eventually is hardly a surprise.

^ Actually -- while I wouldn't necessarily use the word risky to describe an all-Madonna episode -- there were some negative comments on Glee's Facebook page about the episode (e.g., "Do I have to start Tivoing this show to see whether it's appropriate enough for me to watch with my 12-year-old?!" etc.)... As some have used the word "family" to describe the show, there was a chance that there are parents watching with the kids, and there was a chance some of those parents would be offended by it.

I'm not saying I agree with that response, or even that categorization of the show (as "family"). I mean, you can't really act offended about seeing three couples sing "Like a Virgin" while dancing suggestive choreography on bedroom sets... Not when there's already a pregnant teen character who has lied about who the father was, etc. (Makes you wonder if the complaints come *just because* Madonna's name/music was involved, or if those people just hadn't been watching from the beginning and so haven't witnessed the show's "darker side.") I'm not going to go into it all because it's not worth it, but I thought it was worth noting that there was a bit of sniping on Facebook which did surprise me.

Rolling Stones and Elton John are DONE. Madonna is not done, nowhere near. It wasn't a risk doing a Madonna episode, especially since the audience Glee generates are mostly fags anyway.

Britney Spears may not be relevant to YOUR pop culture, but she is to many kids that grew up with her. Britney is not "hot right now", she's been around 11 years, and has had enough ENORMOUS success and well known songs to garner a full episode. I wouldn't be surprised if her episode pulled in more viewers than Madonnas, since she has a hold on the younger market more than M does.

I don;t care if a Brit episode is done or not, but seeing one come up eventually is hardly a surprise.

I'm 22 so I grew up with Britney Spears too and I know she's very relevant to pop culture and that exactly my point. Why preach to the choir? Most people my age know all about Britney Spears and she's still fresh in their minds. From what I pick up from people Madonna is as irrelevant as Elton John and the Rolling Stones to this generation. Most of the people I know didn't even know half of the Madonna songs on Glee...that's how bad it's getting. This generation has no music knowledge and they have no interest in anything besides what is going on right at this very second. Glee showed how much power they have by re-igniting interest in Madonna and introducing her work and iconography to a whole new generation. Why not keep their integrity by renewing interests in other legendary artists who actually deserve the respect? Doing an episode on Britney or Gaga would do nothing but put more money in their pockets.

Ryan Murphy isn't kidding when he says Glee is about ARTS EDUCATION! (The art of Madonna, that is!) Win-win, really.

Someone sent me a clip of Jennifer Lopez on Ellen the other day, and -- because they were talking about JLo's possible guest-starring on Glee in a future season -- Ellen had to pause for a second to gush about how great the Madonna episode was! :vogue:

Guest Coked Up Baby Boy

I'm 22 so I grew up with Britney Spears too and I know she's very relevant to pop culture and that exactly my point. Why preach to the choir?

Exactly. Merits on talent aside, as a pop star, she is the biggest thing from the last 10 years and has a massive following. We know this, so why dismiss an episode about her when we all know about her following????

From what I pick up from people Madonna is as irrelevant as Elton John and the Rolling Stones to this generation. Most of the people I know didn't even know half of the Madonna songs on Glee...that's how bad it's getting.

That hasn't been my experience with it. Madonna may not be on the PULSE of the youth anymore, but i'd say younger kids today are more prone to knowing her back catalogue than someone like Elton or The Stones. Most kids and teens i've come into contact with are well aware of her "classic" songs. Do you think only people over 30 were buying '4 MInutes' when it hit #1? of course not. Sure Justin was tagged onto that track, but still, Madonna is AROUND enough for teens to at least be aware enough to NOT MIND seeing her songs pop up on a Glee episode. Not to mention the huge gay following the show has, and with parents watching it knowing Madonna's older work. Madonna's most well known music caters to a pretty wide audience, pop fans, gays [young and old], parents, ect.

Why not keep their integrity by renewing interests in other legendary artists who actually deserve the respect?

Doing an episode on Britney or Gaga would do nothing but put more money in their pockets.

A perfect reason for a Brit or Gaga show if you ask me :lol:

Like i said, it's a teen musical, this isn't the weekly 'World Music Acclaim Documentary' setting out to show respect to the greats of the past to please their fans. They showcase MUSIC and they would love to bring in the RATINGS, i think a Britney episode could do that. If you guys are looking for deeper programs, stick to VH1 Artist biographies or something.