"Glee": The Power of Madonna

HolidayGuy

Yeah, Ugly Better at its highest was pulling in something like 10 million viewers. It ended with under 5 million. Glee has gone up from about 8 million in the fall to 13 million the last two episodes.

and yes, to those asking, this was the first time the show has devoted an entire show to one artist. last week's theme was songs with "hello" in the title so they do have themed episodes though.

Guest groovyguy

was madonna the first one they devoted an entire show to?

Yes, it's the first time they did a tribute episode. Ryan Murphy wanted to do a tribute episode and thought about who was deserving of the episode - Madonna for her cultural contribution!

...it’s the only episode so far of the hit series dedicated to a single artist. “I could see it happening again infrequently in the future,” Adam Anders, “Glee’s” music producer told TheWrap. “But Madonna was a great choice to start with because of the depth of her catalogue." Source Link

Ryan Murphy talks about doing the tribute episode.

After performing it for the Haiti telethon and now it's resurgence with GLEE, one would hope this "Like A Prayer" success would remind Madonna who co-wrote her most memorable hits - and maybe she should work with him again.

Guest groovyguy

wow that's awesome! i'm really enjoying the positive posts, it makes a nice change lately

A very nice change. Shows like 30 Rock take digs at her arms, acting career, etc. Heck, even some fans here, like the media seem to perceive her as some sort of pathetic joke. But this Glee's Power of Madonna episode serves as a great reminder to people of just how great an impact she has had on our music and our culture. Madonna's music -as was pointed in the episode, the subtexts of her music- carries themes of self confidence, strength and independence that have helped define Pop music as we know it.

Guest groovyguy

Itunes Songs:

Like A Prayer (Glee): 3

Borderline / Open Your Heart (Glee): 14

4 Minutes (Glee): 26

Like A Virgin (Glee): 27

Express Yourself (Glee): 46

What It Feels Like For A Girl (Glee): 62

Vogue (Glee): 82

Like A Prayer (Madonna): 91

4 Minutes (Madonna): 99

It's great that M's music has been exposed to new generations...and people are appreciating her influence and music! If someone was to ever create a Broadway show using M's music, I think it would do really well. So glad this show was a success!

Guest br1t1shbo1

I can't watch it. Where can I watch it online in England?

i'm in london, and i searched for it on btjunkie as a torrent used U Torrent to download it and it took like 15 mins or so.

I watched it last night-great show.-put emphasis on what Madoonna is really about, and that is her music. Not age/family bf's etc.

Guest Pud Whacker

Yes, it's the first time they did a tribute episode. Ryan Murphy wanted to do a tribute episode and thought about who was deserving of the episode - Madonna for her cultural contribution!

...it’s the only episode so far of the hit series dedicated to a single artist. “I could see it happening again infrequently in the future,” Adam Anders, “Glee’s” music producer told TheWrap. “But Madonna was a great choice to start with because of the depth of her catalogue." Source Link

Ryan Murphy talks about doing the tribute episode.

thanks groovy! i actually remember when this popped up but i never viewed it until now. wow, thats amazing. its always been a first with her. i love that. xo

I Loved their performance(s) of "Like a Virgin". :dramatic:

Me too!! I thought that was the best part of the show.

On a side note: not that it matters, but why did they sing 'You already got it' in the 4 Minutes performance? Doesn't Madonna say 'Come and get it'??? :confused:

Me too!! I thought that was the best part of the show.

On a side note: not that it matters, but why did they sing 'You already got it' in the 4 Minutes performance? Doesn't Madonna say 'Come and get it'??? :confused:

Because that line doesn't make any sense...just a thought.

If you want it, you already got it?

Later the lyric says "Imma give you what you want" - well, if you're gonna give it to me, that means I don't already have it :-)

They just showed a clip of Glee on some dutch talkshow..it was all about the Madonna tribute & how this show

is all the rage in America, i haven't seen or heard Glee being mentioned before outside this board..THE POWER OF MADONNA indeed.