"Glee": The Power of Madonna

HolidayGuy

I am so hooked on this show now. Last night was fantastic. I want to download all of the songs. I especially loved Vogue, Like a Prayer, and WIFLFAG! Loved their dance to 4 minutes too! Excellent! And SUE is a HOOT!

http://livefeed.hollywoodreporter.com/2010/04/parenthood-glee-idol-ratings-.html

'Glee' rocks Tuesday, 'Parenthood' rises

APRIL 21, 2010

NBC's freshly renewed family drama series "Parenthood" grew once again in the ratings, scoring its best number since its premiere. With CBS in repeats, "Parenthood" (7.2 million viewers, 2.9 preliminary adults 18-49 rating) won the 10 p.m. hour, building on recent ratings gains.

ABC's "Lost" (9.4 million, 3.6), however, was a different story -- dropping 8% to a series low.

"Glee" (13.5 million, 5.3) on Fox continued to impress and was easily the night's highest-rated scripted series. Despite a weaker lead from "American Idol" (19.1 million, 6.7) this week, which was down 8%, the Madonna episode of "Glee" showed remarkable strength, only slipping 5% during its second week back from hiatus.

ABC's "V" (6 million, 2.3) is on the bubble for a renewal, yet gave no hints as to a trend. The alien invasion drama was up a tenth, but will likely drop to match last week due to a couple minutes of "Lost" overrun.

Overall: Fox won the night. NBC ranked second with "Biggest Loser" (8.5 million, 3.3) and "Parenthood." ABC was third with "Dancing With the Stars" (13.4 million, 2.4) and its dramas. CBS and CW aired repeats.

Edited by Hector

http://livefeed.hollywoodreporter.com/2010/04/parenthood-glee-idol-ratings-.html

'Glee' rocks Tuesday, 'Parenthood' rises

APRIL 21, 2010

NBC's freshly renewed family drama series "Parenthood" grew once again in the ratings, scoring its best number since its premiere. With CBS in repeats, "Parenthood" (7.2 million viewers, 2.9 preliminary adults 18-49 rating) won the 10 p.m. hour, building on recent ratings gains.

ABC's "Lost" (9.4 million, 3.6), however, was a different story -- dropping 8% to a series low.

"Glee" (13.5 million, 5.3) on Fox continued to impress and was easily the night's highest-rated scripted series. Despite a weaker lead from "American Idol" (19.1 million, 6.7) this week, which was down 8%, the Madonna episode of "Glee" showed remarkable strength, only slipping 5% during its second week back from hiatus.

ABC's "V" (6 million, 2.3) is on the bubble for a renewal, yet gave no hints as to a trend. The alien invasion drama was up a tenth, but will likely drop to match last week due to a couple minutes of "Lost" overrun.

Overall: Fox won the night. NBC ranked second with "Biggest Loser" (8.5 million, 3.3) and "Parenthood." ABC was third with "Dancing With the Stars" (13.4 million, 2.4) and its dramas. CBS and CW aired repeats.

I saw posters elsewhere debating if they were gonna watch Lost or Glee.

Wow- Celebration really is benefiting in the digital realm. Granted, digital album sales are not comparable to album sales, but still an impressive showing. It's cool that some viewers are seeking out the originals.

Guest Therealalejandro

do u think this will get any better for M?

This is the most reinforcing thing that has happened to Madonna in the US in a long time, and this is just the beginning. She will ride the wave of accolades until she's ready to create something new. I think it's great when this happens as it makes her more aware of how current her cultural reach actually is. Her name carries so much power. Good or bad, it means something to everyone! If it didn't to the under twelve set until yesterday, then she just got a pretty huge injection of recognition.

Guest groovyguy

Wow- Celebration really is benefiting in the digital realm. Granted, digital album sales are not comparable to album sales, but still an impressive showing. It's cool that some viewers are seeking out the originals.

Maybe the casual Madonna fans who have stopped following her music. And hopefully, a lot of new fans too.

This is the most reinforcing thing that has happened to Madonna in the US in a long time, and this is just the beginning. She will ride the wave of accolades until she's ready to create something new. I think it's great when this happens as it makes her more aware of how current her cultural reach actually is. Her name carries so much power. Good or bad, it means something to everyone! If it didn't to the under twelve set until yesterday, then she just got a pretty huge injection of recognition.

but will she become lazy because of it?.....her best work usually comes after major break-ups or backlashes.

I noticed the EP versions are longer than what aired- is that common for the show?

Yes, they usually play only shortened versions of the songs during the actual episodes -- undoubtedly so there's enough room for dialogue and character development. Then when they're released as digital singles (or on the CDs), they're available in full-length versions.

There have been some songs (like "Sweet Caroline" and "Papa Don't Preach") where they only recorded a short version, so in those particular cases that's all that's available.

Guest Pud Whacker

but will she become lazy because of it?.....her best work usually comes after major break-ups or backlashes.

mlvc - do you really think her best work is after breakups and backlashes? she was still very much married when she wrote an recorded LAP. she was coming off the success of evita with ray of light.

backlash one - erotica - so you find bedtime stories her greatest work? i respect that.

backlash two - american life. confessions greatest album? i respect.

lazy? hmmm...

did you see sticky and sweet? not a lazy woman? in her glorious agile finesse...

work in africa?

directing a new film?

4 children?

at 51 she will do more in a year than people do in their entire lifetime.

the word lazy and madonna dont belong together. like joanne and madonna. tongues should be cut out of filth mouths that pair those words with madonna. :rotfl:

This is going to be very short-lived. It will impact next week's charts for sure but there's no reason why the level of interest will maintain after that. The Glee album though should stick around for at least a few weeks.

13.5 million viewers is now the official Nielsen estimate but it does not include DVR viewings so the number is almost certainly larger. I believe Fox released a 21 million final figure for last week's episode.

Guest Pud Whacker

SLOPPY, FREAK SHOW, BABIES!!! SOMEWHERE IN THE ENGLISH COUNTRY SIDE, IN A STATELY MANOR HOME, MADONNA IS WEEPING. HIT THE SHOWERS MAGGOTS!!!! AND WATCH YOUR FILTHY MOUTHS.