Why is Madonna lumped alongside the J. Lo's, Paula's and Britney's?

Guest nothingfails0603

She was better when she sung wrong and from the throat. :wow: Can't beat a bit of Papa, OYH or even Hanky Panky.

That said though, I wouldn't trade any of it, if only for the ROL title track. To this day, I'm still astonished we got something like that from Madonna. It never seemed possible. Plus singing from the diaphragm meant we got great live vocals in Reinvention (post AL I know, but I could never get into that album so I can't see the soul)

The throaty singing meant she fucked her voice after Rescue Me, I believe... but then we did have that Sooner or Later Oscars shortly afterward - presumably the results of working with her first and best vocal coach, who did Michelle Pfeiffer in The Fabulous Baker Boys and made a joke about "what takes [Pfeiffer] 42 takes, [Kim Basinger] can do in 2 takes" :chuckle:

Then you had Erotica where she was weak, squeaky and nasal and just didn't give a damn, so raw in that era. Then you had the great Take a Bow, You'll See and, best of all, I Want You. She has had almost as many vocal eras as she had image changes, basically with each new album.

Guest jamesshot

A lot of haterzzz insist her recordings for that were computerised. :rolleyes: Not bothering about the fact they had to transpose the score a few keys down from the original "opera".

And some naysayers use the fact she didn't and couldn't sing the score as intended to knock her down - like bitter Miss LuPone - although at least she isn't the VILE Elaine Paige who when asked what she liked about the movie version, said, "I thought she died well" :|:catty::queenbitch:

One reviewer on a blog said for "Music" Madonna had returned to the childish range she had before ROL. Which is kinda true. "Music" was never one of her best vocals - but it was never the point. At least we have WIFLFAG :inlove:

I don't think they "had" to knock down the keys for her. They never intended the movie version to be sung like the broadway version. People would have left the theater with their ears bleeding! No matter who sang it. LOL. It is complete myth they did it to accomodate Madonna's voice. I do believe she would have been able to sing it in its original score while in the studio.

LOL at people thinking it was computerized. See, she is damned if she does damned if she doesn't. Either she can't sing it as intended or she sounded so good it must be studio magic. I swear those haters cannot make up their minds. :)

Guest jamesshot

That said though, I wouldn't trade any of it, if only for the ROL title track. To this day, I'm still astonished we got something like that from Madonna. It never seemed possible.

Then you had Erotica where she was weak, squeaky and nasal and just didn't give a damn, so raw in that era. Then you had the great Take a Bow, You'll See and, best of all, I Want You. She has had almost as many vocal eras as she had image changes, basically with each new album.

Tell me about it. I was astonished she pulled off ROL vocally. Even being in the studio it is fucking impressive no matter who it is. She even repeated it in key LIVE on Oprah which was even more astonishing.

I agree about the Erotica vocals. I remember being like "WTF is up with her voice. It sounded so weak and strained".

I think on Hard Candy, and some on Confessions, she completely phoned it in vocally. It might be technically still good but lifeless.

Yeah, it was meant to be conversational rather than pure opera like Alan Parker said. Maybe it wasn't technically transposed then. She said something like "I promise you, if I can't sing this, I will give up". Along those lines. But I think the LuPone score was a BIT beyond her(!)

It's a shame she never did a Broadway musical. Since many REALLY poor and mediocre singers have done stuff like this - Jason Donovan doing Andrew Lloyd Weber for one - it was always a little annoying. Musicals are clearly more her forte, not acting with dialogue.

Guest jamesshot

Yeah, it was meant to be conversational rather than pure opera like Alan Parker said. Maybe it wasn't technically transposed then. She said something like "I promise you, if I can't sing this, I will give up". Along those lines. But I think the LuPone score was a BIT beyond her(!)

It's a shame she never did a Broadway musical. Since many REALLY poor and mediocre singers have done stuff like this - Jason Donovan doing Andrew Lloyd Weber for one - it was always a little annoying. Musicals are clearly more her forte, not acting with dialogue.

Possible the Lupone score was a bit beyond her but then again my opinion is Lupone is just way too over the top. I couldn't listen to her Evita on Youtube. Fucking horrified me. :) I would never want Madonna to try and emulate that shit.

Yes, musicals are where her ticket to movie stardom really is. Or was.

Shakira's voice is nothing like Celine.

It depends on the song, she sounded a bit like Celine during the Haiti Telethon song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRNmL4m5OIk

Of course, the Shakira we are more used to sounds like this:

Madonna singing YOU MUST LOVE ME in the STICKY AND SWEET TOUR was amazing.clear and strong voice.

Madonna's best vocal performance was:

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGHkwN4oSGc

But, my fav is Bad Girl from SNL.

I've noticed that Madonna sounds best when she's sitting down.

i meant Shakira is nothing compared to her when it comes to the english singing.celine's is more pleasant & romantic.

Celine is generic sounding, sorta the type that puts people to sleep :) As for romance, Sade has the most romantic voice.

Guest edsalas

O.K. There's a lot to say here.

1-) Madonna IS a good singer and she has done outstanding live performances, such as Sooner Or Later at the Academy Awards, Bad Girl from SNL, You Must Love Me from S & S and those are live performances, no studio trickery or anything there. As for studio albums, her most amazing vocals are the ones in True Blue, especially in Live to Tell and Papa Don't Preach, I'm Breathless (the most amazing vocals from any of her albums), and Evita soundtrack. Now that I'm talking about the Evita soundtrack, these people who have put Madonna down when she did Evita, they are just jealous fuckers because Madonna achieved what they didn't expect her to achieve. Besides getting the role she sang her ass off. And I remember reading that Andrew Lloyd Webber told her that he wasn't gonna alter anything from the score to adapt to her voice. Instead, she had to adapt her voice to the score. That sounded like something really hard to achieve and that made Madonna work harder and harder and in the end she succeeded. No studio trickery or computerization there. Yes, Madonna has done several live performances that are between average and bad and terrible but people have to be fair to her that she CAN sing when she wants to. I enjoy much more listening to Madonna singing than Céline Dion for example. Céline Dion grates my ears, Christina Aguilera screams and sings too loud, Mariah has never been my cup of tea because she screamed and sometimes abuses of her dog whistle. Now she can barely sing. Sounds like she's been asphixiated by someone with a pillow.

2-) Shakira IS a great singer. I don't know why people put her down and say that she's nothing and that she sounds like a goat and all that stuff. I mean, I've listened to all of her albums and I've seen several live performances from her and she's really great live. Her voice may be an acquired taste, not a voice that you get used to from the very first time but she has a really good voice, strong and soulful.

3-) I've never seen those videos of Kylie and Dannii singing together. I would've never imagined that both had sung Pointer Sisters' Twist My Arm. They didn't sound that bad, but they don't hold a candle to the original version. The Pointer Sisters they really could sing their asses off.

4-) Many people are dumb when they say that someone like Madonna can't sing while someone like Christina Aguilera or Céline Dion can sing. These people think that screaming equals singing and that is totally false. I'm sure both Christina and Céline have good songs but unfortunately potentially good songs are ruined with very loud vocal performances and too much screaming and too much vocal acrobatics that really fuck up a song. I don't like that at all. Madonna without possessing an amazing and technical voice and that stuff she really can give emotional vocal performances which, for me, emotion is more important than bragging that I can do a dog whistle, or I can turn a syllable into 16 syllables or bragging that you have 4 or 5 octaves.

5-) Madonna should never be lumped alongside JLo, Paula and Britney since Madonna's vocals are clearly superior than these artists. JLo doesn't sing for shit and IMO her music sucks. Paula, I like her first album and everything but singing is not her forte. If we talk about dancing, that is her forte and she was really really good. And Britney, don't get me started on that bitch. The last time she could really sing was when she was at the Mickey Mouse Club. From there on, after one day she went to the bathroom, her voice and talent went down all flushed down the toilet.

O.K. There's a lot to say here.

1-) Madonna IS a good singer and she has done outstanding live performances, such as Sooner Or Later at the Academy Awards, Bad Girl from SNL, You Must Love Me from S & S and those are live performances, no studio trickery or anything there. As for studio albums, her most amazing vocals are the ones in True Blue, especially in Live to Tell and Papa Don't Preach, I'm Breathless (the most amazing vocals from any of her albums), and Evita soundtrack. Now that I'm talking about the Evita soundtrack, these people who have put Madonna down when she did Evita, they are just jealous fuckers because Madonna achieved what they didn't expect her to achieve. Besides getting the role she sang her ass off. And I remember reading that Andrew Lloyd Webber told her that he wasn't gonna alter anything from the score to adapt to her voice. Instead, she had to adapt her voice to the score. That sounded like something really hard to achieve and that made Madonna work harder and harder and in the end she succeeded. No studio trickery or computerization there. Yes, Madonna has done several live performances that are between average and bad and terrible but people have to be fair to her that she CAN sing when she wants to. I enjoy much more listening to Madonna singing than Céline Dion for example. Céline Dion grates my ears, Christina Aguilera screams and sings too loud, Mariah has never been my cup of tea because she screamed and sometimes abuses of her dog whistle. Now she can barely sing. Sounds like she's been asfixiated by someone with a pillow.

2-) Shakira IS a great singer. I don't know why people put her down and say that she's nothing and that she sounds like a goat and all that stuff. I mean, I've listened to all of her albums and I've seen several live performances from her and she's really great live. Her voice may be an acquired taste, not a voice that you get used to from the very first time but she has a really good voice, strong and soulful.

3-) I've never seen those videos of Kylie and Dannii singing together. I would've never imagined that both had sung Pointer Sisters' Twist My Arm. They didn't sound that bad, but they don't hold a candle to the original version. The Pointer Sisters they really could sing their asses off.

4-) Many people are dumb when they say that someone like Madonna can't sing while someone like Christina Aguilera or Céline Dion can sing. These people think that screaming equals singing and that is totally false. I'm sure both Christina and Céline have good songs but unfortunately potentially good songs are ruined with very loud vocal performances and too much screaming and too much vocal acrobatics that really fuck up a song. I don't like that at all. Madonna without possessing an amazing and technical voice and that stuff she really can give emotional vocal performances which, for me, emotion is more important than bragging that I can do a dog whistle, or I can turn a syllable into 16 syllables or bragging that you have 4 or 5 octaves.

5-) Madonna should never be lumped alongside JLo, Paula and Britney since Madonna's vocals are clearly superior than these artists. JLo doesn't sing for shit and IMO her music sucks. Paula, I like her first album and everything but singing is not her forte. If we talk about dancing, that is her forte and she was really really good. And Britney, don't get me started on that bitch. The last time she could really sing was when she was at the Mickey Mouse Club. From there on, after one day she went to the bathroom, her voice and talent went down all flushed down the toilet.

great.youre so right!!!i couldnt agree more! :thumbsup:

Guest Coked Up Baby Boy

Celine doesn't sound romantic, she sounds cheesy. It's the sort of music your PARENTS sway to at weddings.

the only reason Madonna has ever done a 'bad' live performance is because of cripling nerves and stagefright. At the oscars she was visibly shaking. but for every single performance she has ever put her name to she has worked her ass off and put all of herself into it. never has she done a sloppy performance because of laziness or being drug or alcohol affected or not rehearsing enough.. like britney and most of the rest. madonna is a true professional. when she does just one song at an awards show, like Nothing really Matters at the Grammys.. she seemed more nervous that night than at the oscars.. but by the end of the one song she was relaxed and getting into it.. she could have kept going and been so much better. she has come so far since then.. i will never forget the opening lines of Like a prayer at live8.. you could see her halo and she really captured the spirit of the live telecast. she is such a seasoned performer now and the energy of that performance was amazing.. she knows how to channel her nervous energy and the audience vibe now.

i will never forget the opening lines of Like a prayer at live8..

I'm sure she wanted to upstage that fat bytch Elton who made a complete fool of himself by singing with a smacked out of his brain Pete Doherty. She was on a mission to prove to the CUNT and the world that she COULD sing.

Although the hater Mariblah fanzzzz had a FIELD day with THAT banshee note on youtube.

Truth? It is your opinion. Again, no one is arguing she is Barbra Streisand here. I think her range is actually very decent. Stamina? Hard to tell since she dances so much. But she certainly doesn't have Streisand stamina either. Sometimes Madonna's voice sounds small other times it sounds much fuller.

So, again, we all agree she isn't a big voiced diva but I hate the term limited because it applies to everyone and it doesn't tell anyone anything about her voice. It is a stupid term to use.

Rihanna still sucks. Her voice may be similar to early Madonna but early Madonna shits on Rihanna's voice. anyday.

Some of her live songs where she does not move so much have been worse than when she is dancing.

Guest heathen

I personally love the fact that Madonna has many different sounds to her voice. It's just another way she is able to constantly keep people guessing. While she isn't appreciated as a conventionally good singer like others are, I love her tone, and the emotion she always puts forth. Her voice is unique, and you can't mistake it for anyone else. I'd rather listen to an interesting and emotionally charged voice than a "good" and boring one.