Alison Goldfrapp: 'Madonna : Yuck.'

acko

Guest gloriesbarcelona

Ohhhh I get it now, Goldfrapp is her last name. I always wondered what the hell it meant. ANYWAY, that was immature of her to say. I'm sure alot of her fans are Madonna fans aswell. Oh well.

Well I am and I enjoy both artists for different reasons.

To be honest I don't really pay attention to this sort of boring bullshit, NEXT already!

Guest jamesshot

Oh my :lol:

First off, COADF and Supernature are two different animals really - and to still be discussing this almost 5 YEARS later is stupid. These interviewers need to think up better questions, but obviously they are trying to get a rise out of her.

Secondly, its no secret that Alison is a fucking pretentious bitch...however all of you seem to forget that Madonna is too :rosey: The fact that some of you are willing to boycott Goldfrapp for making comments against Madonna is more than a bit ridiculous. If you don't enjoy their music, fine, but saying "I like them but she insulted Madonna! I hope you fail!" is not very rational. This isn't elementary school :confused:

Oh boo! Sometimes we just want to act elementary! LOL. Especially when we are reacted to a comment from someone acting elementary. :)

It's almost impossible to believe anyone would say that seriously, it just sounds like a joke. It's obvious by the way she elaborates, she is actually serious. I mean, "post-modern"? How pretentious!

I'm going to have to agree. In fact, I rarely believe these type of posts/articles. We know how the media loves to misinterpret and twist things. We've seen a number of musicians speak out more recently after they were "supposedly" recited INCORRECTLY as 'dissing Madonna'. It's amazing these sources think they can get away with it, and cut their own throat for future interviews if they batch up the interview too bad.

What I find more interesting are the droves of fans who immediately latch on to these stories as truth and use it as a launching ground to hurl insults at the artists, etc. Turn it into some competition between the artists and of course take a swipe at anyone who dares to defend the artist in question.

Guest Coked Up Baby Boy

Oh my :lol:

First off, COADF and Supernature are two different animals really - and to still be discussing this almost 5 YEARS later is stupid. These interviewers need to think up better questions, but obviously they are trying to get a rise out of her.

Secondly, its no secret that Alison is a fucking pretentious bitch...however all of you seem to forget that Madonna is too :rosey: The fact that some of you are willing to boycott Goldfrapp for making comments against Madonna is more than a bit ridiculous. If you don't enjoy their music, fine, but saying "I like them but she insulted Madonna! I hope you fail!" is not very rational. This isn't elementary school :confused:

Oh that always happens around here :lol: Madonna says something cunty, it's cool and funny, someone says something cunty about her, they're lynched.

When Madonna copies someone, it's an homage, when someone copies her, they're wannabes.

Madonna fans are the biggest hypocrites i've noticed. Oh well.

MadonnaNation :clap:

Oh that always happens around here :lol: Madonna says something cunty, it's cool and funny, someone says something cunty about her, they're lynched.

When Madonna copies someone, it's an homage, when someone copies her, they're wannabes.

:bow:

The thing about Goldfrapp is they've always been pretty consistent in their opinion of Marge (consistently WRONG, but consistent nonetheless); they just don't like her. In the Supernature era when Madonna was kissing their arse, they were *nice* about her, but they never started gushing about her work or anything. They said stuff like it was flattering that she liked it, that it was unfair people calling her Oldfrapp, that it was great she'd been around for so long etc etc. Fast Forward to now, and they've slagged her off a couple of times, they've burned their bridges, and some interviewer asks a question which BEGS for them to slag her off, what would be the point of Alison hiding how she felt? She has no prospect of a working or other relationship with Madonna, and has never sought one. She has no 'nice girl' image to keep up, so she doesn't need to say some anodyne shit about her being 'an amazing legend'. If she gently slams Madonna the article will get publicity, and be discussed in places like THIS. She'd have to be STUPID or suddenly have turned into a saint to do anything else.

Guest ursaminorjim

I get what you're saying, LG, but I don't really buy into the whole "mentioning Madonna for instant publicity" angle. Because you're right - the only people who really take notice of stuff like that are Madonna fans.

Guest Therealalejandro

The thing about Goldfrapp is they've always been pretty consistent in their opinion of Marge (consistently WRONG, but consistent nonetheless); they just don't like her. In the Supernature era when Madonna was kissing their arse, they were *nice* about her, but they never started gushing about her work or anything. They said stuff like it was flattering that she liked it, that it was unfair people calling her Oldfrapp, that it was great she'd been around for so long etc etc. Fast Forward to now, and they've slagged her off a couple of times, they've burned their bridges, and some interviewer asks a question which BEGS for them to slag her off, what would be the point of Alison hiding how she felt? She has no prospect of a working or other relationship with Madonna, and has never sought one. She has no 'nice girl' image to keep up, so she doesn't need to say some anodyne shit about her being 'an amazing legend'. If she gently slams Madonna the article will get publicity, and be discussed in places like THIS. She'd have to be STUPID or suddenly have turned into a saint to do anything else.

How about saying "no comment", or "I'm not interested in discussing Madonna"? Your implication is that because she isn't looking to forge a relationship with her she should be a cunt towards her instead? By commenting, she is ultimately relating to Madonna...Like all of these nothings, she is obviously bitter that when it comes to popular women in music, it all comes back to Madonna. Joanne will go down the same route eventually. It will drive her nuts that no one will ever see her independently.

Gaga praises Madonna = :rant:

Goldfrapp disses Madonna= :rant:

Jason DeRulo Wants to work with Madonna= :rant:

Jesus Wants to Fuck Madonna= :rant:

Will Madge Fans Ever be happy?

...they just don't like her.

[LOON] ANYONE WHO EVER SAID ANYTHING NEGATIVE ABOUT MADONNA IS JEALOUS. :rant:[/LOON]

I get what you're saying, LG, but I don't really buy into the whole "mentioning Madonna for instant publicity" angle. Because you're right - the only people who really take notice of stuff like that are Madonna fans.

I can't agree with you there. Don't forget how big she is over here. Someone giving QUEEN MARGE a going over always guarantees a few column inches in the gossips. And Alison isn't stupid. She thinks it. She's asked. She's going to say it. It's WIN WIN WIN.

Guest edsalas

:lmao:

Well, I don't. For example, Philip Oakey from the Human League once said that Madonna looked like the bleeding Hulk. That's a bitchy remark and everything but I love the Human League and I don't hate the guy. Just to mention one example of someone who doesn't like Madonna or said something bitchy about her and that is a person I like or admire.

Guest ursaminorjim

I can't agree with you there. Don't forget how big she is over here. Someone giving QUEEN MARGE a going over always guarantees a few column inches in the gossips. And Alison isn't stupid. She thinks it. She's asked. She's going to say it. It's WIN WIN WIN.

How is it a win? I mean, I certainly don't base my listening habits on what one musician says about another unless it's overwhelmingly positive (and even then, grain of salt - after all, Morrissey was a champion of some pretty terrible bands back in the 80s). :lol:

Well all I can say is to each his/her own, And for crying out loud this is a freakin Madonna forum. I mean if some people wants to react violently to a not so nice comment about their idol then its mighty fine. I just find it funny the level headed crap that others are advocating here. If one is a Madonna loon like meself admittedly then go fire away against anybody who tramples and denigrate our idol LOL.

And who's golfrapp btw? :lmao:

:lmao::lol:

Like Madonna said ABBA were BORING and SUPRISE, in 2005 she said she was a HUGE fan :lmao:

YUCK at some fans really :lmao:

:confused:

SFW. People are ALLOWED to change their mind and contradict themselves at some point. It's human nature. And it's happened several times within this thread. :rosey:

Music especially is something you revise your opinion with as you get older.

Fair enough - well apart from the stupid part :) Talented? Yes. But don't see any particular evidence of her being especially bright. But it was a stupid, tired question designed to get a rise out of her (that interviewer obviously had an agenda) and I sort of don't blame her, cause she must be sick of being asked about Madonna when she basically has NOTHING in common musically - she is more of "an artist"/musician and obviously vocalist, even if I don't necessarily like most of that art or am that wowed by her voice on record.

I will admit that I saw red as soon as I saw her name mentioned and what she said cause I don't like HER - she also slagged off Kylie around the time of her cancer, though that would've been before the info leaked. In a sense I like outspoken people who aren't afraid to speak their minds - like Morrissey (when he sticks to insulting musicians, at least), but mouthy ones like her and Lily Allen who I dislike musically and as people I just cannot abide.

My emotive response was automatic really :bad: just like your KNEEJERK snap back to mine and Alison's kneejerk comments. Believe it or not, I was well aware she said "laughs" but used a figurative phrase/common expression and I was going to edit my post for CLARITY - you didn't give me a chance anyway - but didn't as I liked how the original sounded. And it still stands. My point was that word is clearly part of her everyday vocab and the fact she used in "irony" in an attempt to laugh it off and weasel her way out of it made her look utterly imbecilic and is just as bad/worse as with a straight face.

Without devolving further into SEMANTICS about her TONE and supposed playful nature with regards to your earlier ASSERTION (did not see that post at the time as the thread was moving too quickly), I just thought this was very revealing and showed the pretentious nature we all knew was there. Rather transparent, wouldn't cha say?

And also the words she chose were very harsh - note how she said "I don't care who she or whoever does" implying that Madonna is a manufactured studio creation which she again does when she talks about her wanting producers names on her records - might be true in the case of Timbaland and the Neptunes, but that's it. And well, doesn't Alison have a collaborator herself? Kate Bush and PJ Harvey she isn't.

I don't care at all whether she likes Madonna's music - many of my favourites have slagged Madonna such as Morrissey (has had differing views over the years) and some I love like Françoise Hardy have said far harsher things, doesn’t mean I’ll boycott them. :wacko:

It’s the fact that she opens her mouth and lets her belly rumble that irritates me about her and makes her look consistently moronic; she's happy to throw around insults willy nilly yet they're baseless ones as she's completely ignorant about her career and somehow thinks she's above her, when she’s also operating within the mainstream to some extent – albeit as a cult act with less sales obviously. Nasty supercilious elitist attitude she has and quite hypocritical.

Even Madonna with her TITANIC ego learned diplomacy and to stfu with the public bitchery and discovered such a thing as KARMA (apparently) in her late 30s. Alison just looks like an embittered old hag, not an attractive quality for a woman approaching menopause.

And Madonna is one of the ARCHITECTS of "post modern" in pop culture (mainstream) and borrowing disparate old sources to create something "new", yet somehow by Goldfrapp's logic what she does is crude copying and Alison is an "hommage". Good grief!

Well, I don't. For example, Philip Oakey from the Human League once said that Madonna looked like the bleeding Hulk. That's a bitchy remark and everything but I love the Human League and I don't hate the guy. Just to mention one example of someone who doesn't like Madonna or said something bitchy about her and that is a person I like or admire.

Very funny that one. Cause there was a degree of truth to it. She looks better now.

The Human League are known for being nasty miserable people though according to - get this! - Boy George! He complained how cold they were "great music, horrible people".

The League chose "Vogue" as one of their 10 Of The Best Videos on VH1 in the mid 90s.

Guest edsalas

Very funny that one. Cause there was a degree of truth to it. She looks better now.

The Human League are known for being nasty miserable people though according to - get this! - Boy George! He complained how cold they were "great music, horrible people".

The League chose "Vogue" as one of their 10 Of The Best Videos on VH1 in the mid 90s.

Really? Are they miserable people? But Boy George isn't exactly the greatest human being either. All I know from Human League in terms of the people is that Phil Oakey quote, that Susanne Sulley once had a strong discussion with a photographer for an album cover shoot because the guy asked her to pose in a way that she thought was inappropriate so she argued with him and there was no photoshoot and that around 1992 Phil and Susanne entered in a depression and Joanne Catherall was the one that helped them out of that depression and motivated them to continue recording. And how cool that they included Vogue in that list.

Fair enough - well apart from the stupid part :) Talented? Yes. But don't see any particular evidence of her being especially bright. But it was a stupid, tired question designed to get a rise out of her (that interviewer obviously had an agenda) and I sort of don't blame her, cause she must be sick of being asked about Madonna when she basically has NOTHING in common musically - she is more of "an artist"/musician and obviously vocalist, even if I don't necessarily like most of that art or am that wowed by her voice on record.

I will admit that I saw red as soon as I saw her name mentioned and what she said cause I don't like HER - she also slagged off Kylie around the time of her cancer, though that would've been before the info leaked. In a sense I like outspoken people who aren't afraid to speak their minds - like Morrissey (when he sticks to insulting musicians, at least), but mouthy ones like her and Lily Allen who I dislike musically and as people I just cannot abide.

My emotive response was automatic really :bad: just like your KNEEJERK snap back to mine and Alison's kneejerk comments. Believe it or not, I was well aware she said "laughs" but used a figurative phrase/common expression and I was going to edit my post for CLARITY - you didn't give me a chance anyway - but didn't as I liked how the original sounded. And it still stands. My point was that word is clearly part of her everyday vocab and the fact she used in "irony" in an attempt to laugh it off and weasel her way out of it made her look utterly imbecilic and is just as bad/worse as with a straight face.

Without devolving further into SEMANTICS about her TONE and supposed playful nature with regards to your earlier ASSERTION (did not see that post at the time as the thread was moving too quickly), I just thought this was very revealing and showed the pretentious nature we all knew was there. Rather transparent, wouldn't cha say?

And also the words she chose were very harsh - note how she said "I don't care who she or whoever does" implying that Madonna is a manufactured studio creation which she again does when she talks about her wanting producers names on her records - might be true in the case of Timbaland and the Neptunes, but that's it. And well, doesn't Alison have a collaborator herself? Kate Bush and PJ Harvey she isn't.

I don't care at all whether she likes Madonna's music - many of my favourites have slagged Madonna such as Morrissey (has had differing views over the years) and some I love like Françoise Hardy have said far harsher things, doesn’t mean I’ll boycott them. :wacko:

It’s the fact that she opens her mouth and lets her belly rumble that irritates me about her and makes her look consistently moronic; she's happy to throw around insults willy nilly yet they're baseless ones as she's completely ignorant about her career and somehow thinks she's above her, when she’s also operating within the mainstream to some extent – albeit as a cult act with less sales obviously. Nasty supercilious elitist attitude she has and quite hypocritical.

Even Madonna with her TITANIC ego learned diplomacy and to stfu with the public bitchery and discovered such a thing as KARMA (apparently) in her late 30s. Alison just looks like an embittered old hag, not an attractive quality for a woman approaching menopause.

And Madonna is one of the ARCHITECTS of "post modern" in pop culture (mainstream) and borrowing disparate old sources to create something "new", yet somehow by Goldfrapp's logic what she does is crude copying and Alison is an "hommage". Good grief!

OML!!

I'm not cross about it I hope you realise, all part of the knockabout fun here -I can dish it out and I can take it!

I read her comments THUS: She'd been a cunt about Madonna -her Madonna opinion has a sort of studied ignorance I think, almost like they WANT to parrot the standard line about her being an uncreative talent sucker, because they don't WANT to be seen to have delved any deeper into her stuff to be better informed. Then she got called on it by a clever interviewer who wasn't about to let her get away with the BLATANT hypocrisy of her remark. She got out of that by being cute and droll and saying something EXAGERRATEDLY pretentious 'post modern darling' and laughing at it and herself. That's absolutely clear from how it comes over. My problem with most of the angry responses here (including yours) is that they didn't focus on her initial cuntiness, but on her second comment as if she MEANT it dead pan with no hint of irony or self mocking.

My emotive response was automatic really :bad: just like your KNEEJERK snap back to mine and Alison's kneejerk comments. Believe it or not, I was well aware she said "laughs" but used a figurative phrase/common exp​ression and I was going to edit my post for CLARITY - you didn't give me a chance anyway - but didn't as I liked how the original sounded. And it still stands. My point was that word is clearly part of her everyday vocab and the fact she used in "irony" in an attempt to laugh it off and weasel her way out of it made her look utterly imbecilic and is just as bad/worse as with a straight face.

Alison is by no means a bright woman. Anyone who thinks she is, needs to get another degree. And I adore Goldrapp. She just happens to be stupid and self-important.