Whitney talking about Madonna and the 80s look

cosmic_system

Guest Therealalejandro

Despite their first two albums happening around the same time, I think throughout the 1980s Janet and Madonna were in different places career-wise, and only rivaled each other on scant levels. For all intents and purposes, Control is Janet's "coming out." At the same time, meanwhile, Madonna had just successfully graduated from fad to mainstay. With Rhythm Nation, Janet was in the 'Like a Virgin' phase of her recording career; she still had that new appeal that made people instantly latch onto everything she did, but she wasn't yet a fully developed icon -- unlike Madonna, who by that same time was a global superstar, and had been for years.

Even though Whitney's debut album happened during the same window of time that Control did, because of the quick way she ferociously exploded onto the scene...was mass marketed to, and was fully embraced by, mainstream/middle America (and globally)...and with the swiftness between her first two albums, I think she more quickly ascended to 'mainstay' hitmaker status. By the end of the decade, she was in the same singing-superstar stratosphere as Madonna and Michael. With Rhythm Nation only existing in the final months of the 1980s, I don't know if Janet had that same clout. She was still proving herself to not be a fad, and didn't graduate until the janet. album.

Isn't she still trying to prove that?

Guest nothingfails0603

maybe she aligns herself with Michael, Prince and Madonna, but.... does she align herself with Mary J. Bliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiige?

Guest nothingfails0603

I don't think Whitney meant all that much 2 the first MTV generation..that's why I don't c her as an integral part of the 1980's..she didn't have a grasp on youth culture. Even Janice was bigger in that context. :fag:

Well you're right but at the same time, you gotta remember how big Whitney was in the 80's. I think her emergence not long after Madonna's played a big part in the arrival of female artists selling as much as men. I read somewhere (I think UKMix) that at the end of the 1980's, Madonna's LAV and TB and Whitney's first two albums were the four biggest selling albums by a female artist. So you have to remember how popular she was in the day. She and Madonna both broke down the glass ceiling for how much a female artist could sell, opening the door for Mariah, Celine, Britney, Shania, Alanis and the other female artists to follow who have scored diamond selling albums, as females never sold like their male counterparts pre-LAV and Whitney Houston.

Guest Coked Up Baby Boy

Poor washed up has been Whitney, can't sing, looks like shit and comments on the "dark nature" of other acts even though she's a crack whore. "To me it's not becoming".....really Whitney?.....because so much about you IS becoming :lmao:. Oh well, it was nice once for you my dear i'm sure, oh well.

QUEEN Whitney. :dramatic: It doesn't get wiser.

"Right now I'm on salads, and soup, um, onion soup is a very, um, it's an astringent. It cleanses the body, it cleanses, um, onions." :rotfl::rotfl::inlove:

Guest nothingfails0603

Poor washed up has been Whitney, can't sing, looks like shit and comments on the "dark nature" of other acts even though she's a crack whore. "To me it's not becoming".....really Whitney?.....because so much about you IS becoming :lmao: . Oh well, it was nice once for you my dear i'm sure, oh well.

I like Whitney but I do agree with you on this.

Whitney relied on her voice for everything and now her voice has gone to shit, so what exactly does she have to fall back on? I like some of the uptempo and midtempo tracks on her album but those are songs that can be done by just about anyone. It was all about her voice and now that voice is wasted so exactly what is her selling point today except the whole "I'm clean" angle and 80's/90's nostalgia. It's good to actually rely on more than just your singing voice.

Clearly she's not a fan of Gaga :lmao:

“There are some extremely gifted and talented young women and young men out there who don’t have to really put on Halloween costumes, just be themselves,” she said. “A little extravagance, a little flair, a little sexiness or a sultriness is cool, but some of them are very dark. … To me, it’s not becoming.”

4:35 for the Madonna/Prince/Michael part

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXUqdcUPpRE

Holy cow - she is just getting dumber and DUMBER, she sounds completely ignorant when she speaks now and unintelligible - what a damn shame.

The addict resembles Chaka Khan.

If any artist from the 80's can align themselves with 80's icons like Madonna, Michael Jackson and Prince, then it's Whitney. Those names are synonymous with the 1980's whether you like it or not. Never been a major fan but Whitney had almost as many international hits as Madonna in the 80's and at least she wasn't like more recent pop "diva's" ripping ideas off Grace Jones, Cyndi Lauper, Cher, Warhol and Madonna passing them off as original "pop art" - unlike GaGa.

Regardless of whether Whitney has bitched about Madonna in the past, M has always responded graciously. I remember around the time of the Music album release with all the controversy over Whitney's drug taking. Madonna defended Whitney to a reporter saying that she seemed 'fine' and did not appear to be under the influence of drugs the last time they met. Further evidence of Madonna's true class.

I dun think they had been in bad blood before.

Although Whitney had commented during Madge Sex era "I feel like the whole Madonna thing is gonna die" but few years later Whitney sent a bouquet of flowers to Madge and wrote "I know how you felt, With love Whitney" during Madge's 1995 stalker case.

I remember a reporter asking Whitney something like how she would explain Madonna's fashion choices (cone bras) to her children and she gracefully answered "there are other things that are more important." :clap:

I remember a reporter asking Whitney something like what she would tell her kids if they saw Madonna's cone bras and she so gracefully answered "there are other things that are more important." :clap:

Yep in 98-99, she also said the cone bras were just stage costumes and Madonna wasn't actually "living" in them all day long.

I don't think Whitney meant all that much 2 the first MTV generation..that's why I don't c her as an integral part of the 1980's..she didn't have a grasp on youth culture. Even Janice was bigger in that context. :fag:

Whitney was probably not part of the MTV generation because she was one of the few artisst who could actually sing so she did not have to rely on "imagery" as much.

Whitney was probably not part of the MTV generation because she was one of the few artisst who could actually sing so she did not have to rely on "imagery" as much.

She couldn't rely on "imagery". She was pretty but not a creative being and was locked into a machine uninterested in (and largely incapable of) building her as anything more than a "voice".

140 year old Clive Davis literally sits Whitney down in a room and plays tapes of demos he thinks will be appropriate for her to record for his label and it's always been that way. To keep her "hip", her handlers watered down already tired trends (musn't offend the AC audience) and occasionally paired her with a hot songwriter and/or duet partner.

We won't even discuss her lack of dancing ability.

Anyway, this comes from someone who enjoyed some of her music. It's her null sense of humor in interviews that gets under my skin more than any of the above.

There was never any beef/drama between Madonna and Whitney.The two of them ran into each other at a Prince concert in March 1993 and were seen chatting and laughing in the lobby,as if they were good friends.

Madge famously talked about Whitney and Mimi not having a point of view. However, since the late 90s, there seems to be no ill will between them (since both were mothers). Whitney talked about knowing Madonna and that she doesn't wear the cone bras and all that at home, etc.

This is for the "oh Madonna doesn't care about charts and never did" fans.

I think the difference is that Madonna cares about success and being loved. She doesn't care about chart numbers more than she cares about saying what she thinks. Thats the point you don't seem to get. There are plenty of artists out there who will sacrifice doing what they want in order to get to number one. Madonna doesn't do that. I never said she's unhappy when people love her work.