Niki Harris: "Madonna is a gem"

Flip The Switch

Niki-Harris.jpg

After two decades as Madonnas back-up singer, youd think Niki Haris might be tired of corsets.

Shrugging off that familiar wardrobe piece is a poignant image when you consider how long Haris notoriety has been linked to her career as Madonnas back-up vocalist, dancer, touring partner, and - as glimpsed in Madges racy tour documentary Truth or Dare, anyway - close friend and confidante. Yes, she has loaned her pipes to any number of the pop queens hits ("Like a Prayer" and "Vogue," for instance), but to fans Haris was never a faceless, interchangeable back-up singer. She was an integral and highly visible part of Team Madonna.

Today, shes ready to chat about her latest club single, "Bad, Bad Boy," a collaboration with DJ/producer duo (and Rhode Island born gay brothers), The Perry Twins. But she knows there will always be some obligatory ground to cover about her time spent with one of contemporary musics biggest gay icons, and shes okay with that. In fact, its actually Haris who drops the M-word first.

"Now, which publication is this for again?" asks Haris, rifling through a mental Rolodex.

Its for Bay Windows, I remind her. A gay paper.

"Oh, yes!" she recalls. "You know, I always have to remind myself who Im talking to. But I always know when Im doing a jazz interview, because they never ask about Madonna."

She laughs. Well ask, and shell tell. To start: why the fallout? Diva drama?

"Maybe there was some drama, but I didnt buy into it. We were sisters for years," says Haris. "At the end of the day, really she [Madonna] is a gem and Im so grateful."

"She threw my baby shower for me!" adds Haris, who gave birth to her daughter in 2003. It was shortly thereafter that Madonna launched her Re-Invention Tour, the first time she staged a show without Haris in over 15 years.

"People can talk all the crap they want, but we both knew by that last tour [Drowned World, 2001]," says Haris. "I had broken my legs, learned how to walk again, how to dance again, and did that tour with really bad injuries. It was okay, but painful. Now, I was 41 and pregnant. ... Of course, my ego was involved: Oh, she dont want me no more! But at the end of the day, she gave me the greatest gift. Because of her, I got to spend every freaking day with my kid, doing the music I love to do. Im close to the family still. She knows I love her and she loves me."

Coincidentally, Madonnas last two tours have featured similarly named singer Nicki Richards as a backing vocalist. Haris doesnt mind.

"She can get Niki Two, if she wants to," she chuckles.

Since parting ways, Haris has been more free than ever to pursue her own work.

--------------------------------

Is she unemployed? :wacko:

I love how she asks 'what publication is this for?' :lmao:

Like she's been doing this heavy press junket 4 her..um..club single :doofus:

Or maybe she was just eager cuz some publications hand out buffet coupons. :fag:

Guest chatty kathy

I didn't notice it was an old article. Oh well.

That's ok. It's still a good read. I just didn't want people to think this

was brand new.

Guest Pud Whacker

I love Nicki and she's together with Donna the best back singer Madonna has ever had. PERIOD!

yes, she was great with donna. they had a really nice thing going - too bad niki is a foul bitch who always had that need to one up her and talk shyt. in between pondering which magazine shes talking to, going to dinner with chris, and waiting for her next gay pride parade performance, i hope she doesnt choke while chewing on a neck bone.

Madonna is not the only person in the world who has the right to behave as a bitch. I'm glad Nikki doesn't shut up and agree as any other friends do: Gwyneth, Ingrid...

I recall that it was written that the big fallout between them was because Madonna didn't cancell the concert programmed after 11-S and that she didn't seem to mind. I recall both Nikki and Madonna's assistant were shocked.

Of course, it may be a lie.

Guest Pud Whacker

Madonna is not the only person in the world who has the right to behave as a bitch. I'm glad Nikki doesn't shut up and agree as any other friends do: Gwyneth, Ingrid...

I recall that it was written that the big fallout between them was because Madonna didn't cancell the concert programmed after 11-S and that she didn't seem to mind. I recall both Nikki and Madonna's assistant were shocked.

Of course, it may be a lie.

debi mazar doesnt shut up and agree.

i dont care what the fall out was about - she should shut that hole she calls a mouth. shes disgusting, shes nothing and she knows it. and if she doesnt, i will remind her everytime i see her.

Guest bluejean

debi mazar doesnt shut up and agree.

i dont care what the fall out was about - she should shut that hole she calls a mouth. shes disgusting, shes nothing and she knows it. and if she doesnt, i will remind her everytime i see her.

Not saying i'm a fan really (couldn't give a shit about her.) But I'm curious to know why you hate her so intensely Pud??

If Madonna were more clever, she wouldn't be so vengative about what's happened in the past and coud learn to forgive. That old grudge against Stephen Bray or Nikki Harris plays a lot against herself. If Madonna released an old school record with Donna, Nikki, Stephen and Pat, not only would it be an old gay dream, but a perfect marketing campaing. You only have to listen to Nothing Really Matters to know that the old magic is just there, ready to be recaptured.

Sometimes i think that Madonna moves on so much from old producers because they fight and she decides she doesn't want anything to do with them.

If Madonna were more clever, she wouldn't be so vengative about what's happened in the past and coud learn to forgive. That old grudge against Stephen Bray or Nikki Harris plays a lot against herself. If Madonna released an old school record with Donna, Nikki, Stephen and Pat, not only would it be an old gay dream, but a perfect marketing campaing. You only have to listen to Nothing Really Matters to know that the old magic is just there, ready to be recaptured.

Sometimes i think that Madonna moves on so much from old producers because they fight and she decides she doesn't want anything to do with them.

Why do you assume it has to be about her being vindictive? Maybe Madonna doesn't want to do the same kind of music she's done in the past. She hasn't become an icon by doing the same type of music over and over. I don't know why fans want to drag her back in the past. I listened to the old 80's tracks she did with Stephen on Celebration the other day and yes, they are fun, but they also sound dated. A whole album of music like that would be terrible.

Madonna is a solo artist ,not in a band. That is the whole point of being a solo artist. You have the freedom to work with different people all the time, whereas in a band you have to always write songs with other members of the band.

Guest Pud Whacker

Not saying i'm a fan really (couldn't give a shit about her.) But I'm curious to know why you hate her so intensely Pud??

because shes absolutely a disgusting human.

That's assuming a lot leather monkey boy.

#1 Her royal bitchyness did not fallout over 9/11 with miss Harris. But there was however a rumour that 9/11 had something

2 do with Liz Rozenberg resigning (temporarily) from camp Madonna.

#2 Madonna never said anything bad about Niki, she simply doesn't discuss her staff in public. Niki however.. :chuckle:

But u'll find the answer in both reading 'Like An Icon' & 'My Sister Gave Me Jobs & Supported My Substance Abuse For Years 'till She could Take No More & Married Someone Who Didn't Like Me - My Story : On How Gwyneth Paltrow Got A Bigger Room Than Me At My Sister's Wedding.'

#3 She never said anything bad bout Bray..& Leonard scored her recent documentary.

#4 I Love The Niki Harris & Ma-Donna Delory troika..it's my favourite Madonna performance entity.

:fag:

Guest Danny86

Yeah, all the success of ROL was due to NRM and Patrick Leonard. :chuckle: NRM is the most dated song on ROL by the way.

Contrary to your assumption, working with current hitmakers does not make one a has been, but going back to people who did your hits 20-25 years ago totally does.

Oh and yeah, in the Rolling Stone interview last year, Madonna praised Stephen Bray for ITG.

Guest ursaminorjim

Oh and yeah, in the Rolling Stone interview last year, Madonna praised Stephen Bray for ITG.

She did? I thought she considered it one of her most embarrassing songs?

I guess everyone can change their mind.