VOGUE/I'M BREATHLESS/BLOND AMBITION TOUR: 20th Anniversary Thread

Mattress

I love Anna Wintour!

God, Madonna is so beautiful!!!!

We don't DO Vogue, We ARE Vogue - Linda Evangelista.

You can Vogue to just about anything and Madonna is a real Godess of Vogueing. The face is perfect, the hands are perfect. The eyes are perfect. The mood is perfect. The soul is perfect. I love it. If I was a Madonna song that would possibly be it.

a%5Eold_photo.jpg

And now... a brief history of tracks that inspired "Vogue".

1b2052ea507c967616ff534938109138_lg.jpgSalsoul-Orchestra-99.jpg

Ooh, I Love It (Love Break) by Salsoul Orchestra (1975)

The Salsoul Orchestra was the backing band for acts on Salsoul Records. It was formed 1974 in New York., U.S. and disbanded in 1982. Their music featured elements of Philly Soul, Funk, Latin Music and disco. The Salsoul Orchestra included up to 50 members with instrumental section, arrangers and conductors. The Salsoul Orchestra was conducted by Vincent Montana Jr.(1975- 1978) Production duties came, from 1978 to 1983, by Tom Moulton, Stan Lucas, Patrick Adams & Bunny Sigler. The personnel of the Salsoul orchestra and MFSB overlapped substantially.

Their song, "Love Break (Ooh I Love It)" has been sampled in rap songs such as 50 Cent's "Candyshop" and Eric B & Rakim's "Paid in Full", but most notably in Madonna's "Vogue". (Wikipedia)

Clip 1 | download

The inspiration. Intro strings, horn stabs, bass and build into full instrumentation with drums.

Clip 2 | download

Percussion used on many Shep Pettibone remixes and all versions of "Vogue". The "love break" vocals are sampled on all 12" and dub versions of "Vogue".

mclaren_malcolm.jpg

Deep In Vogue by Malcolm McLaren & The Bootzilla Orchestra (1989)

Malcolm Robert Andrew McLaren is a performer, impresario, self-publicist and most famously, former manager of the Sex Pistols and the New York Dolls. (Wikipedia)

Clip | download

A #1 dance single about, yes, voguing based on "Ooh I Love It (Love Break)". This preceded Madonna's "Vogue" by a year and introduces the elements of late-eighties house piano and synthesized bass to the original Salsoul track. Watch the video on YouTube at your own risk. :confused:

017285_10_1612706548.jpg

Miss You Much (Shep's House Mix) by Janet Jackson (1989)

One of several Shep Pettibone remixes to utilize his subtly Salsoul-inspired sound. This one is unique for its integration of elements from the original version of Janet Jackson's "Miss You Much". Once combined, the bassline, strings, keyboard fills, percussive elements and overall verse/chorus structure would form much of the basis of Madonna's "Vogue" the following year. Shep's studio partner Tony Shimkin confirmed this in an interview with MadonnaTribe: "With Janet Jackson's Rhythm Nation we remixed all seven singles, the first was Miss U Much and if you listen to the club remix of that song that we did you can hear much of the inspiration for Vogue, just listen to the drums and bassline and you will see what I mean. Sometimes things you do for a remix are too good to only be heard in a club."

Clip | download

Other notable samples:

madonna+lucky+star.jpg

Lucky Star | download

The first 2 seconds are sampled to create a dramatic "fill". The Strike-A-Pose dub makes more use of the sample as heard toward at the end of this clip.

Like A Virgin | download

12" and dub versions of "Vogue" feature brief, pitch adjusted stabs from the opening of her 1984 hit.

Do It To The Music by Raw Silk (1982) | download

The brief "so move your body right down to the ground" heard throughout the various 12" and dub versions sounds a lot like Madonna, but comes from this track by female trio Raw Silk.

Dub Break by Ellis D (1990)

In 1990, Junior Vasquez (another of Shep's protégés) assembled a track called "Dub Break" based on elements of "Ooh, I Love It (Love Break)" that also features the Raw Silk "Do It To The Music" sample. Released under the pseudonym of Ellis D, it's unclear when this track was originally created, but the influence of "Dub Break" especially on the Strike-A-Pose Dub of "Vogue" is undeniable earning Junior a "special thanks" credit on "Vogue".

(

, thanks funkydita!)

Thanks Mattress. The evolultion of Vogue is fascinating, it's a proper homage.

Doesn't one of the vogue mixes include elements of Dub Break by Ellis D (a Junior Vasquez pseudonym)? And there's Willi Ninja, who taught M to vogue.

And what's the relationship betwen MFSB's Love Is The Message and and Salsoul Orchestra's Love Break?

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=PnNYCV5gJbE

Why thank you (and yours of course). I need to make the sig a bit bigger though.

Jose and Luis were a revelation to me as a chubby, crispy haird, closeted teenage fag living in the Welsh countryside. It's such a cliche but Madonna's use of gay imagery, addressing gay issues and her general queerness really helped me be comfortable with myself [wipes tear from eye].

To FASHION. To LOVE. To L'AMOUR. :vogue:

Doesn't one of the vogue mixes include elements of Dub Break...

Yes, "Dub Break" was built on "Ooh, I Love It (Love Break)" elements and has the "Do It To The Music" vocal sample. Junior was working with Shep at this time and "Dub Break" was released very close to "Vogue".

The way the samples were assembled earned Junior his "special thanks" credit (he more than likely was present during mixing sessions). Thanks for the YouTube link... updated my post to include this. :)

And what's the relationship betwen MFSB's Love Is The Message and and Salsoul Orchestra's Love Break?

Not entirely certain, though "the personnel of the Salsoul orchestra and MFSB overlapped substantially."