What was the last Madonna album that lived up to your expectation?

johnnox

I found it very hard to get enthused about Hard Candy. I have probably listened to as much as I'm Breathless, which is very few times.

In that case you're missing out!!!! I am still in love with everything she has done. Every album has a place for me!

Guest jamesshot

Definitely Confessions On A Dance Floor. It may not be my favorite CD but it lived up to the hype. The general public seemed to have taken to it, it got great reviews and it was a nice little era for her. It was only 4 1/2 years ago. Not that long ago.

The buzz for ROL was very long and very intense. So I was very jacked up for that release and boy did she deliver. That was the last time she blew me away. She surpassed expectations in a big way. Everyone was talking about ROL.

She delivered with Music as well. I thought there would be a big let down after ROL but she came back with a solid CD and megahit single. Again, everyone was talking about her. She was popular. She kept the momentum going.

Hard Candy, it turned out much better than what I expected after hearing 4 Minutes

Agreed. Expectations are created by the lead single, and everything on Hard Candy was better than 4 Minutes.

Hard Candy. I honestly didn't think the Pharrell tracks were going to be as good as they turned out.

In fact the only time that I was left kinda "meh" after listening to one of her albums was with AL. No insanely catchy hooks, half baked lyrics and after the more serious tone of her prior two albums I felt the "fun" Madonna was gone forever in favor of the "PLEASE TAKE ME SERIOUSLY AS AN ARTIST" Madonna. She just got a little too up herself and pretentious for me during that time. Not only that but everything she touched on with AL she had done much better with the prior two albums. By AL it was like "OK I GET IT. FAME ISN'T ALL THAT AND NOTHING IS WHAT IT SEEMS." There are still some gems on it though, Madonna has never made a truly bad album. Little did I know though how COADF would blow me away and HC was a real treat as well! What a relief when she let MADONNA back out again.

hard candy, i love the album from start to finish (maybe minus voices :). actually only 2 albums did disapoint me - bedtime stories and american life.

All of her albums lived up to my lofty expectations. She's never released a bad album, so I've never been let down.

AGREED 100%. Even her crappiest efforts are 10x better than the shit that tops the charts nowadays.

Ray of Light - I was pleasantly surprised by the risky direction she took especially for the U.S. market which has not yet warmed up to electronic music. Still my favorite M album. IMO a real masterpiece.

Confessions - When I first heard it was going to be an all dance, disco-inspired album, I thought, Oh no this could be cheesy. And it turned out to be my second favorite M album ever. This CD didn't leave my CD player for 1 1/2 years and I always played it from beginning to end.

Hard Candy - After hearing the first leaks of Beat Goes On and Candy Shop, I really thought it was going to be a disaster. Then it turns out the completely retooled version of Beat Goes On became one of my favorite tracks; Candy Shop is ok and far from being as bad as when I first heard the leak; and I love Heartbeat, Miles Away, Give It To Me, Devil and the rest of the album was ok too.

Guest Danny86

i like Hard Candy better than Erotica and Music

Hard Candy. I honestly didn't think the Pharrell tracks were going to be as good as they turned out.

AGREED 100%. Even her crappiest efforts are 10x better than the shit that tops the charts nowadays.

Agree with all of these. I was kinda afraid Pharrell would give her horrible songs like Gwen's second album but I couldn't have been more wrong about that.

My only expectation now about her albums is that it should not be a rehash of the previous album/project, or going back to an old collaborator trying to recapture the old days. Everything else is a bonus.

Confessions on a Dancefloor. Was much better than I expected...sonically was unlike anything I had ever heard before from Madonna, but a good solid pop/dance album. :)

I Agree, HC sounds better now than in 2008. maybe i just get use to...

Definitely agree with that. I love Hard Candy with the addition of Across The Sky minus the awful Incredible...it's pretty much a *good* pop album. I know it was made only 2 years ago but the album has dated pretty well already. :)