Give it up for Shanti/Ashtangi and Ray Of light

cosmic_system

I really enjoyed this performance, the vocals were awful, she noticed later that she needed backup singers for the chorus :lol: but I think it was the first time that I was watching her performing the song LIVE. I was a bit surprised she didn't sing Frozen.

Love her energy, the dancers, her outfit (you could see her nipples :lol:) and of course, Lenny Kravitz. She stole the night. What a great year in music. :thumbsup:

Guest Pud Whacker

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=yBJMy7nfu_s

I know, the ROL vocal performance is her WORST EVER LIVE VOCALS PERFORMANCE ON TV EVER but I LOVE the set and the look and the dancing!Good times!

I don't actually remember bad press for it (I'm surprised..I mean she was REALLY BAD :lmao: )

GD8186185@Madonna-performs-a-me-7814.jpg

love it. i remember her talking to the press afterward (in some mag), they were trying to let her have it and she said, "who cares? it was only the MTV music awards" :rotfl:

I listened to the full Ray of Light album for the first time in ages at the weekend and forgot how much I loved it.

Even Shanti sounded great after so long.

And I loved this performance - such great fun with old Lenny as well.

I love the outfit and the Henna. It's gorgeous. I love it when she wears formal clothing and a slim fitting top. She has like perfect body proportions. The vocals are actually great where they are great, the badness come from her inexperience singing ROL.

Guest ursaminorjim

She's never looked or felt as middle-aged before or since. Or as totally unsexy. It's...uncomfortable. :confused:

That said, the vocals aren't as awful as everyone insists (although they're far from great). And still - what songs!

She also said of it "I could sing or I could dance: I chose to dance."

The best quote about it (which made me pee a little) was Michael Musto writing in the Village Voice and referring to "The Ray of Light death yodel."

She's never looked or felt as middle-aged before or since. Or as totally unsexy. It's...uncomfortable. :confused:

That said, the vocals aren't as awful as everyone insists (although they're far from great). And still - what songs!

I'm sorry but how can you say they weren't awful.She's just out of tune most of the time and god she sounds like a cat dying.

The bad singing is simply over shadowed by the production, energy and performance. I'm sure most people that night thought at the show... "WTF is this Shanti/Ashtangi shit" when first singing. And she sounded pretty good singing at this point. If she left the show with just that song, I'd expect she'd probably been ridiculed for performing such a eccentric song. Then with Lenny coming on stage, rockin' it out. Madonna wearing a tight white wife beater where she was shaking her tits all over the place where she INDEED came off very sexy, blew people away. It was like one huge party by the end.

Anyway, aside to the vocals, it was one hell of a performance on her part. I loved it.

I remember wondering how this would have evolved into a full blown performance for the tour she was planning for 1999.

If you think the ROL performance of the DWT its almost the same. The dancers, the screens with the video and of course her energy (with better vocals tho :lol:)

Don't forget the CONTROVERSY afterward. A Hindu group was protesting that she was using their religious imagery and wearing religious symbols on her head and hands when she then was bumping and grinding with Lenny and wearing that kind of shirt.

yes she sounded (in parts) FUCKING AWFUL...but she was so cool that night, she was weird with a pure rock n roll attitude and i remember the press the next day were blown away with the performance saying how amazing it was. and it was. she looked so cool with her nips out and black hair :lmao:

:bow:

Guest ursaminorjim

I'm sorry but how can you say they weren't awful.She's just out of tune most of the time and god she sounds like a cat dying.

Granted - the song's just out of her range, and she can't control her voice that high so it sounds pinched. And overall she's sharp. But it's not unlistenable. Sure, there are some moments that are totally cringe-inducing, but it doesn't sound like the Linda McCartney tape or anything.

Of course, it's no coincidence that she lowered the key for her live shows after this.

As for the performance...no comment. :|

One of the all time worst. :lol: Sorry. Only Madonna could have gotten away with a performance like this. Anyone else it would have been a near career ending performance for them. :lol:

love it. i remember her talking to the press afterward (in some mag), they were trying to let her have it and she said, "who cares? it was only the MTV music awards" :rotfl:

:lmao: Find this! Thats classic. :lmao: