Do you want another tour so soon?

Guest Madlover033003

116 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want another tour so soon?

• Yes! It's Madonna performing DUH!
    • No! It's too soon! I want another album!
    • Indifferent

I do like r'n'b actually, when it's done well. I don;t think the majority of Hard Candy was done well.

The beauty of madonna is that she was the one who brought these little know producers to work with her and the results were electrifying. Stuart Price, Mirwais and Orbit weren't massive names when she worked with them, and that's when she created something fresh and new.

Working with Timbaland and Timberlake and Pharrell AFTER they were at their creative peak did not work when it came to album sales.

It's been said Hard Candy sold pretty well. American Life sold poorly with unknown producers. The general public rejected American Life and half of Madonna's fan base rejected Hard Candy. Which is the bad album?

Sorry to disappoint but there's no stick in my hole. I'm an objective fan. I can her strengths and I can see her weaknesses. That's not me being sour or negative, that's me being rational. That's me being a fan.

No, she's not doing what I want her to do, and backed up by apalling sales of Hard Candy and Celebration, she's not doing what the majority of people who used to buy her music want her to do either. That is a FACT.

i'm here because despite her current poor output, i have faith that she can come back and wow us again.

You have your opinion, I have mine. that's the purpose of a forum. Not to suggest people pull metaphorical sticks out of metaphorical holes.

This is what I don't get. How can you even use the sales of HC to back up any sort of "argument" you have in regard to the quality of the album? She was among the best selling albums that year worldwide (#9 or #10). Is it only a success if she's THE top selling album of the year? Take a look at the albums ahead of her in sales for that year. It's either rock bands (who seem to have extremely loyal fanbases...older fanbases) or the "hot stars" of the moment. Given the current sales climate, Madonna held up just fine with Hard Candy. Unfortunately, some fans let their personal opinions cloud the facts of the matter. As has been pointed out, even with Music and ROL Madonna wasn't THE top selling act of the year. The top acts were selling 10 million+ (Britney etc.) in the US ALONE at that time. Madonna's worldwide numbers were about that much at that time. In 2008 Coldplay was the top selling album with 6.6 million, HC finished up at 3.2. That seems about the "norm" for her when she has a "successful" album. Just as an example, AL came nowhere near the top 10 selling albums of the year for 2003 worldwide.

I don't know about you, but I never assumed Celebration was going to be this out of the box smash. Funny thing is, even though it's deemed as a "massive flop" it STILL managed to place #35 of 2009 for the best selling albums in the world. Sure that is a far cry from HC's placing in the lower part of the top 10 in 2008, but again, what did we REALLY expect from a GH these days? I think fans put unrealistic commercial expectations on Madonna.

She was among the best selling albums that year worldwide (#9 or #10). Is it only a success if she's THE top selling album of the year?

It must sell MORE than the bestselling album of the year (if you don't like the album).

The most successful tour of the year is a failure (if you had a bad time).

Guest Danny86
S&S does not have the same sort of artistic merit as Blond Ambition or Drowned World. It was more a concert catering to a mainstream audience than a work of art. Not a bad thing, that is what most acts do and the show was hugely entertaining. But I guess some fans are used to Madonna having something more to say and expect her to always be that sort of artist.

I think Madonna said what she had to say on BAT and a bit on GS. Sure, RIT had a bit of anti-Bush and Spirituality for Kids promo and LTT the Malawi thing, but otherwise it's all fun and dance and I don't think it's a crime that she's "only" making an entertaining show now. DWT had more theatrics indeed, but in terms of concept and theme, it was just as mainstream as any of her tours since then (and one could even argue doing the majority of her two then-current hit albums is nothing extraordinary). Apart from CPG and the Geisha segment, it's still an upbeat and celebratory show ("Beautiful Stranger", "Don't Tell Me", "Holiday" anyone?), riding her cowboy image, her kind-of-trademark Spanish segment and so on. I really don't feel she "dumbed it down", but more like she learned to get back into doing choreographies and constantly evolve the videos she makes for the shows.

I don't know about you, but I never assumed Celebration was going to be this out of the box smash. Funny thing is, even though it's deemed as a "massive flop" it STILL managed to place #35 of 2009 for the best selling albums in the world. Sure that is a far cry from HC's placing in the lower part of the top 10 in 2008, but again, what did we REALLY expect from a GH these days? I think fans put unrealistic commercial expectations on Madonna.

It also sold 6 times of what the Janet compilation did, 4 times of what the Britney GH did and 2.5 times what Enya's did worldwide and outdid certain studio albums by other females. So I'm not getting either why some think Madonna is one of the worst selling acts out there at the moment on the level of Cyndi Lauper or something.

It must sell MORE than the bestselling album of the year (if you don't like the album).

The most successful tour of the year is a failure (if you had a bad time).

:rotfl:

Yeah, but if you like the album and it flops, it's "sales don't matter, the general public has no taste, it's a misunderstood masterpiece!".

Guest Coked Up Baby Boy

I love how people ask the HARD CANDY haters "what are you doing here?", like some how the previous 30000 albums don't mean anything :rotfl:

Guest Beautiful Stranger

If she keeps up her roughly 2 1/2 year album release pattern the next album will be out late this year.

The next tour should wait until late 2011 and hit Australia, New Zealand, and Japan first.

And HC wasn't a smash, but to say it's sales were appalling is a bit ridiculous. 3.5 million globally for an album released in 2008 is good. Even the US SoundScan total of 730,000+ is okay. Those numbers are in the middle among mainstream acts, not at the bottom.

Same with Celebration. A GH from a pop act released in the digital age isn't going to do big numbers anymore, they're done. Besides the fact that it wiped the floor with the most recent Mariah, Janet, and Britney GH albums internationally it also scanned more than them in the US.

I do like r'n'b actually, when it's done well. I don;t think the majority of Hard Candy was done well.

The beauty of madonna is that she was the one who brought these little know producers to work with her and the results were electrifying. Stuart Price, Mirwais and Orbit weren't massive names when she worked with them, and that's when she created something fresh and new.

Working with Timbaland and Timberlake and Pharrell AFTER they were at their creative peak did not work when it came to album sales.

Sorry but this argument is old and very meaningless. She has worked with massively popular/commercially successful producers in the past. It's just that this time the lazy masses recognised them as they are also artists who saturated the media.