Madonna was looking for new dancers

TOUR2008

Guest Danny86

^The Fuse interview was one of those press junkets where she was sitting next to a candy machine and a lot of reporters interviewed her on a single day, including Jo Whiley which was shown before the UK promo gig. She had another interview set like that, including the one I think from Japan where she discussed ALL the songs on the album and part of it was shown on MSN before the Roseland Ballroom show. BET was the only "regular" interview. She repeated this kinda promo for Celebration, I guess it's cheaper but obviously less effective than going to a popular show like Oprah or Ellen. I don't see what the divorce has to do with it, she's not organizing and deciding about promo alone... Also, how else could one be more into the music than spending months on putting on a show based on the same music? How was she more into it during the ROL era for example, where she mimed the first and third singles in 8 countries on 2 promo tours but then refused to tour the album because of the TNBT movie?

Peter, the Cynthia McFadden interview was almost exclusively only about Malawi and her movies though, no?

Well, you're right about the junkets. But they're still interviews, nonetheless. She could just not give any interview at all, and that would be less promotion. Yes, the Fuse one (and others presumably) were done at Dylan's Candy Bar in NYC.

I don't recall the McFadden interview very well, but it was in Cannes, I know that. So not sure what that means for timing. I thought I remember them using some HARD CANDY tracks in the background, though. And didn't she talk in that interview about Pharrell making her cry in the studio? So, there must have been some music talk... You are correct, though, Danny -- the emphasis was more about the documentary (because that's what was going on at Cannes) and thus Malawi, as well.

I think the divorce may have impacted her willingness to go visit some of the talk shows. The marriage was strained by that point, but it was not public knowledge (confirmed public knowledge, anyway -- it had been rumored since day one!). So now, really, who's going to go on Oprah and have a gal-pal good time in that situation? Either M just didn't want to put herself in that situation, or else her handlers gave out the pre-conditions (no questions about Guy, marriage/divorce, adoption, etc.) and heavyweights like Oprah, Dave, etc., said well then, no deal.

Guest Danny86

Ah yes, that could have been the one with the Pharrell crying mention indeed. And she probably got asked about Justin as well.

I can agree that she did not want the talk shows where personal life was to be discussed, however, didn't she discuss lot of marriage in the Elle interview? And by putting "Miles Away" on the album and pushing it to be a single, it's not like she wanted to hide it...