A new push for CELEBRATION?

neutrocks

I know some of you say "what's the point?" or a "little too late...", etc., etc., but I am curious why Warner is suddenly interested in pushing the single CELEBRATION ft. Akon to radio? According to FMQB.COM the Radio Industry News, it is reporting that Madonna's Celebration remix featuring Akon will impact US Radio on Tuesday 26 January 2010. Not that it's rare to breath new life in a song that pretty much became dead on arrival, but I'm just curious if they are really hoping to make this a hit song, or are they just building up a little interest and hoping for the best? I would think that Revolver would be the song they want to push since it fits radio "as is" with LIL WAYNE who is featured on a lot of popular songs right now. I like the Akon mix. It's a fun mix. I hope radio gives it a chance. Not sure if it will move any more of the CELEBRATION albums, since it's not even the same mix on the album. I suspect it's more about AKON than Madonna here.

So what are your thoughts? Try to be positive about it. This is all we got right now. If we can help by showing support, maybe it will crack the top 40 if not better? It's not impossible and it's not like songs haven't had a second chance in the past.

Guest ursaminorjim

Well, since it was dead on arrival the first time, maybe programmers won't even know it's something of a rerelease and give it a chance.

Although "Revolover" would make a lot more sense, given that Lil Wayne starts his jail sentence in February, and Rebirth has been pushed back indefinitely. There'll be automatic interest.

maybe she's performing it at the grammy's

I wondered the same? Maybe she's planning to do this song with AKON. He currently has two other songs where he's featured on which are getting a lot of exposure on radio: "Sexy Bitch" by Dave Guetta and "Shut it Down" by Pitbull. It seems he's more popular for being "featured" on songs than his own songs. I've noticed LIL WAYNE is the same.

Not a chance. Too little, TOO late.

In actuality, it's not. As mentioned, many songs and albums in the past have been revived and made a huge success. I'm not saying that this is the case, but obviously Warner seems to be jumping on AKON's popularity right now being featured on songs. Just a little surprised they aren't doing the same with "Revolver" with LIL WAYNE.

I wondered the same? Maybe she's planning to do this song with AKON. He currently has two other songs where he's featured on which are getting a lot of exposure on radio: "Sexy Bitch" by Dave Guetta and "Shut it Down" by Pitbull. It seems he's more popular for being "featured" on songs than his own songs. I've noticed LIL WAYNE is the same.

Lil Waynes last album was HUGE though, one of the biggest of the past couple of years.

I agree Akon has a huge hit with "Sexy Bitch" right now so he's not over.

I love Celebration, anythings possible.

I don't understand what is going on at Warner at all. The Akon thing may have been a good idea (and I use the term 'good' loosely) but it would've been better to push it when the single actually came out - not six months later. I agree "Revolver" would make more sense but who knows what is up their sleeve.

I don't understand what is going on at Warner at all. The Akon thing may have been a good idea (and I use the term 'good' loosely) but it would've been better to push it when the single actually came out - not six months later. I agree "Revolver" would make more sense but who knows what is up their sleeve.

Warner is dumb as hell to begin with. They should have released Celebration in november or early december. I have a feeling it would have been a huge Xmas seller.

We've spent so much time discussing Warner's incompetence managing Madonna. It is odd that this is getting a release but I think with iTunes etc we're at a point where singles can keep being promoted until there is some positive reaction as so much doesn't have to be invested in a physical release.

Someone did mention a while back that P!nk's album was revived so it could happen but I really doubt it unless Madonna is committed to actually doing some promotion herself.

Oh cool. I hope a Grammy performance is planned with it. I love Celebration. But, yeah....I would think they'd go with Revolver too. *waits to see what happens*....especially being she's in NYC right now (where she'd be rehearsing soon if she were going to perform)?

No way radio will give it much of any play- but, if she did perform it at the Grammys, it likely would result in a sales spike.

Oh, I think it has a better chance getting air play on the radio than the original version. And I like the original version. I just think U.S. radio will not play a lone Madonna track anymore. We'll see what the future holds though, because I would say "never say never". Who knew Cher would have scored a huge hit with "Believe" and then had somewhat success with her follow up album.

Oh cool. I hope a Grammy performance is planned with it. I love Celebration. But, yeah....I would think they'd go with Revolver too. *waits to see what happens*....especially being she's in NYC right now (where she'd be rehearsing soon if she were going to perform)?

I don't think it's going to happen. If so, they are keeping it "hush hush". I don't see the point in doing that though. But maybe they don't want to overplay it?

WBR doesn't have anything in their sleeves whatsoever...

maybe they are gonna send the Celebration feat. Akon CD to radio with Revolver as a "B" side and hope for the best with both songs featuring popular radio artists at the current moment.

Actually, it will be among the physical copy of Revolver single when it's released. So I guess it's the B-side in theory, even though B-sides pretty much don't exist anymore.

I don't think it's going to happen. If so, they are keeping it "hush hush". I don't see the point in doing that though. But maybe they don't want to overplay it?

Yeah, that could very well be. We've seen her do this before. Trying to keep things as tight lipped and quiet as she can until the last minute.

Three weeks until Grammy time. Someone PLEASE ...start following her and all of her dancers. lol (j/k)

The only time I can remember a label doing this with great results was back in 1998/99 with Whitney's "It's Not Right But It's Okay". Arista sent the original version to radio in late '98 but it didn't take off (even charting low on the Hot 100), so Arista pushed "Heartbreak Hotel" in early '99 and put the Thunderpuss 2000 Remix of "It's Not Right...." as it's b-side. The remix became so popular that Arista released "It's Not Right..." as a stand alone single after "Heartbreak Hotel" and it ended up peaking at #4 on the Hot 100 so who knows? Maybe the second time around will be good for "Celebration".

This is a lot of wishful thinking. Warner lost the opportunity with this single. The Benny Benassi Remix was the perfect choice and they screwed it ONCE again. So I don´t get my hopes high for this thing.

And ColbyCo music business has changed since 2000.

I don't recall "It's Not Right..." charting before its official release- it was the B-side to "Heartbreak Hotel," but HH was planned as the second single, anyhow. Then, INRBIO got its own release.

neut- "Celebration" peaked at 6.2 million or so audience (per BDS), with most of that coming from Rhythmic AC- it would be HIGHLY surprising if it got past that a second time around.

RE Cher- Living Proof's only Hot 100 entry was "Song For the Lonely" (criminally at #87). "Believe" was a fluke- none of the follow-up singles from that album did anything notable in the USA ("Strong Enough" peaked at #57 on the Hot 100, and #74 in airplay, and that was it).

Someone did mention a while back that P!nk's album was revived so it could happen but I really doubt it unless Madonna is committed to actually doing some promotion herself.

Yeah, it is true that the strategy worked for P!NK, however I think it is important to note that the label re-launched a previously released 2nd single "Who Knew" after the album was resuscitated by its 3rd single "U+UR Hand." The label felt it could capitalize on her radio success with that single by re-introducing the 2nd single again - and it did work.

Madonna is starting with minimal radio love. Anyway, here's to hoping something good happens or that it is tied in with a Grammy performance.

There have been cases of tracks being reworked later on and doing better- but, we're talking about a 51 year-old female. Less likely to happen than for someone in their 20s and 30s.

Would love to see M perform- been a while since she did a performance on a U.S. program. In general, it's a rarity, which makes it a big deal when she does.