Evita is an amazing movie

Lymon

you just proved you know nothing about film.

go read great art of light and shadow - archeology of the cinema.

desperately seeking susan is the ONLY madonna movie loved by critics, fans and MOVIEGOERS.

Why you talk about yourself as 3rd, 4th, 5ht person?

IMDB

League of their Own 6.9

Four Rooms 6.3

Evita 6.1

Dick Tracy 5.9

DSS 5.6

These are movie fan votes

as for critics... EVITA is to still date the only one that got somewhat acclaimed...

but only because you HATE it you don't want to accept it...

Golden Globe is better than nothing...

It is still though... to this date her most critically acclaimed...

but it's ok if people doesn't like it... but those are facts...

as for DSS it's iconic within the Madonna community... and just because of that icon status it got me so disappointed that she just had a support role in it... I expected alot more..

Look Zezwer I know you're young but so am I. I'm only 23. Evita, from my POV, was a great career move for Madonna and set her up nicely for the few years to come in whic hshe was more respected by hollywood than she's ever been. But DSS is like Purple Rain was for Prince. It's just THAT movie for her. The one that captured her at her most exciting and irresistible. As a result it has a big cult following and is definitely her most iconic role onscreen. Evita was what it was - a career move.

Look Zezwer I know you're young but so am I. I'm only 23. Evita, from my POV, was a great career move for Madonna and set her up nicely for the few years to come in whic hshe was more respected by hollywood than she's ever been. But DSS is like Purple Rain was for Prince. It's just THAT movie for her. The one that captured her at her most exciting and irresistible. As a result it has a big cult following and is definitely her most iconic role onscreen. Evita was what it was - a career move.

I'm fine with it being most iconic or whatever... but that is still within the fanbase

but people in here seem to think it was more critically acclaimed even ... which is just false

actually my biggest problem about the hype is still that she is just having a supporting role and that for me was disappointing ...

Imagine reading for years that THIS IS THE Madonna film to see... etc. etc. and then when you see it you realize that she's barely in it... I think if you've seen the movie the other way around... it might have turned out better... for me it all became just a disappointment

I'm fine with it being most iconic or whatever... but that is still within the fanbase

but people in here seem to think it was more critically acclaimed even ... which is just false

actually my biggest problem about the hype is still that she is just having a supporting role and that for me was disappointing ...

Imagine reading for years that THIS IS THE Madonna film to see... etc. etc. and then when you see it you realize that she's barely in it... I think if you've seen the movie the other way around... it might have turned out better... for me it all became just a disappointment

Well I never had that illusion with DSS, I knew it was gonna be Madonna in a starring role that really wasn't a starring role and I still loved it for what it it was - a cute movie starring Madonna at her hottest. If anything Evita was what really disappointed me.

Guest Coked Up Baby Boy

Susan and Evita seem to be the 2 films that come up the most with her [by non fans]. If we're talking critics though, Evita easily takes the lead.

Well I never had that illusion with DSS, I knew it was gonna be Madonna in a starring role that really wasn't a starring role and I still loved it for what it it was - a cute movie starring Madonna at her hottest. If anything Evita was what really disappointed me.

Actually I think we saw these movies with very different preconceived views...

I didn't know what to expect before I saw EVITA... i'm not a huge musical film fan and I knew that Madonna was considered a joke in Hollywood...

as for DSS I had heard all this hype stuff from fans for a long time so I was really expecting THE Madonna movie...

I guess for you it might have been the other way round or something

Guest Pud Whacker

Golden Globe is better than nothing...

It is still though... to this date her most critically acclaimed...

but it's ok if people doesn't like it... but those are facts...

as for DSS it's iconic within the Madonna community... and just because of that icon status it got me so disappointed that she just had a support role in it... I expected alot more..

I think that for older fans that were around that era... or for the ones that this was the first Madonna movie they saw... I can understand the nostalgia feeling or whatever

My first Madonna movie was "Who's that Girl"... but I saw it probably like 10 years after its release but anyhoo...

its confirmed - something is wrong with you. i dont think you know much about film. which is cool but dont speak with authority about a subject you obviously know very little of. im a film geek.

you are very attached to evita in a very bizarre way - in a way that you cant see clearly.

this has nothing to do with nostalgia. were talking about cinema.

do you people even know about the history of film? or do you just speak of from when you were born and on? where do your film references come from? where do they start and how far have you researched back?

its confirmed - something is wrong with you. i dont think you know much about film. which is cool but dont speak with authority about a subject you obviously know very little of. im a film geek.

you are very attached to evita in a very bizarre way - in a way that you cant see clearly.

this has nothing to do with nostalgia. were talking about cinema.

do you people even know about the history of film? or do you just speak of from when you were born and on? where do your film references come from? where do they start and how far have researched back?

You are the last person to blame someone else speaking with "authority" or whatever...

Just check the IMDB points, check awards and nominations and critical acclaim...

no you won't even bother because in your head it's the best and therefor everyone else has to think the same...

you even make up in your head that it would be the most critically acclaimed while EVITA is nothing? haha

Guest Pud Whacker

You are the last person to blame someone else speaking with "authority" or whatever...

Just check the IMDB points, check awards and nominations and critical acclaim...

no you won't even bother because in your head it's the best and therefor everyone else has to think the same...

you even make up in your head that it would be the most critically acclaimed while EVITA is nothing? haha

dude, ive been studying film and photography since i was a child - my family has roots in motion pictures since the 1940's to today.

im not going to check imdb for reports. its people like you clicking stars. i confirm and cross reference reputable sources.

CORRECT

Rotten Tomatoes

Evita - 63%

Desperately Seeking Susan - 88%

OH SNAP.

Zezwer you should know by now that IMDB VOTES (yes votes) and awards mean nothing. After all, dont you rail on the Grammies all the time for who they give awards to? Not saying hte Oscars are as bad but its the same idea. And the critics thing has just been put to rest. So really... huh?

Guest jamesshot

dude, get real. i mean seriously. evita is shyt. its bad.

in any reputable book about cinema, dss is heralded as a classic. great dialogue, cinematography, stage actors, captured a moment in time, etc...

heres the reality - outside of madonna fan rooms, evita is a huge joke.

thats just the truth.

Oh Pud honey. I LOVE you but Evita a joke? See, in my experiences, Evita is the one movie non-fans actually like. I mean it has a limited audience as is being a musical but still. It is considered a good movie by most critics. I do think it is quite epic but lacking with the straight musical strategy. Yes she played Eva down a bit but that was HER interpretation and a valid one. Whatever Eva Peron really was, she was a saint to many so Madonna's version balances the stage version and I like that.

Guest Pud Whacker

Oh Pud honey. I LOVE you but Evita a joke? See, in my experiences, Evita is the one movie non-fans actually like. I mean it has a limited audience as is being a musical but still. It is considered a good movie by most critics. I do think it is quite epic but lacking with the straight musical strategy. Yes she played Eva down a bit but that was HER interpretation and a valid one. Whatever Eva Peron really was, she was a saint to many so Madonna's version balances the stage version and I like that.

its very hard to have this discussion with madonna fans.

gather me 20 real people off the street and show them door A into evita and door B into dss.

evita will have one person - zewzer. :rotfl:

Guest jamesshot

gather me 20 real people off the street and show them door A into evita and door B into dss.

Oh Puddy. I am not coming at this as a Madonna fan. I cannot tell you how many people who don't like her but like Evita. DSS and EVITA are 2 very different movies. A musical is ALWAYS a harder sell than a regular ol talkie. :)

I have to agree. IRL, I dont know many big Madonna fans, just casual or non. I don't know many who'd want to sit through something like Evita, unless it was someone entering their 8th decade. The people I know would rather watch DSS because it's so 80s (in a good way).

Guest Pud Whacker

I have to agree. IRL, I dont know many big Madonna fans, just casual or non. I don't know many who'd want to sit through something like Evita, unless it was someone entering their 8th decade. The people I know would rather watch DSS because it's so 80s (in a good way).

an 80's movie which conjured up movies like in the 30's which is what separated it from films like the breakfast club.

an 80's movie which conjured up movies like in the 30's which is what separated it from films like the breakfast club.

Absolutely. That's what I meant by 'in a good way'. I can't stand The Breakfast Club, Pretty in Pink, Dweebs Day Off kind of shit.

Guest Pud Whacker

Oh Puddy. I am not coming at this as a Madonna fan. I cannot tell you how many people who don't like her but like Evita. DSS and EVITA are 2 very different movies. A musical is ALWAYS a harder sell than a regular ol talkie. :)

first of all its not a musical in the traditional sense - musicals have dialogue and then they break into song. evita is a rock opera - like all the other lloyd webber and rice collaborations. and those ARE VERY HARD TO SELL to anyone which is why i say its SHYT. :rotfl:

Guest Pud Whacker

Absolutely. That's what I meant by 'in a good way'. I can't stand The Breakfast Club, Pretty in Pink, Dweebs Day Off kind of shit.

yes, i know what you meant. xo

Evita is her best movie. She was amazing in it. She should ve gotten an Oscar for it. I can not understand how one will not be touched by her dying scene. It made me cry the first time I watched it. It is her most loved and acclaimed movie by all: fans, critics.

By the way Pud, you are libra right? You remind me of my brother: trying to present his underground view as the mainstreet one, trying to proove his views are absolutely right and everyone else who doesnt have his oppinion is totally wrong. Well unfortunately, you are in the minority here. History of cinema (or the book that describes it in the ONLY RIGHT WAY) has nothing to do with one movie being good or bad. I do not care how Evita is looking from the perspective of the history of cinema. It is Madonnas best movie. And it is beautiful, strong, greatly acted as a whole, not just one scene. That is the view of the majority.

I think Evita in a way set the praise for Ray of Light. After the backlash of Erotica and the nonexistence of Bedtime Stories, people really loved her again. It was her return, Evita started that.

Guest jamesshot

first of all its not a musical in the traditional sense - musicals have dialogue and then they break into song. evita is a rock opera - like all the other lloyd webber and rice collaborations. and those ARE VERY HARD TO SELL to anyone which is why i say its SHYT. :rotfl:

It is the best they could have done with that format and did it well. But it isn't for everyone that is for sure.

I still think A Certain Sacrifice is underrated.......

Guest Pud Whacker

Evita is her best movie. She was amazing in it. She should ve gotten an Oscar for it. I can not understand how one will not be touched by her dying scene. It made me cry the first time I watched it. It is her most loved and acclaimed movie by all: fans, critics.

By the way Pud, you are libra right? You remind me of my brother: trying to present his underground view as the mainstreet one, trying to proove his views are absolutely right and everyone else who doesnt have his oppinion is totally wrong. Well unfortunately, you are in the minority here. History of cinema (or the book that describes it in the ONLY RIGHT WAY) has nothing to do with one movie being good or bad. I do not care how Evita is looking from the perspective of the history of cinema. It is Madonnas best movie. And it is beautiful, strong, greatly acted as a whole, not just one scene. That is the view of the majority.

that is your opinion and i respect it even though the movie is pile of crap and if she was worthy of an oscar nomination she would have received one. she didnt and it wasnt.

and yes, i am a libra - which makes me automatically right. :rotfl:

Madonna with brown eyes is so wrong. She looks like she's wearing those contacts like the guy from Limp Bisquick.

During The ENTIRE Movie I Was Like "Uhmm... She Looks like a Rodent." :shock:

black-eye-cream.jpg

But I Love "Evita" Though. It's Like a REALLY LONG VERSION of "Love Don't Live Here Anymore"

Guest jamesshot

I think Evita in a way set the praise for Ray of Light. After the backlash of Erotica and the nonexistence of Bedtime Stories, people really loved her again. It was her return, Evita started that.

No doubt. At all. Would ROL had been such an event without the Evita love? No, not IMO. Madonna gained oodles of respect from all corners from Evita. So people were more accepting of her talent when she (thankfully) did ROL.