Madonna prepares for new album?

Guest dicktracy

:lol::lol:

the usual rock sound is all screaming and loud guitars, but M's rock is going to be the right kind :lol:

I didn't mean it in a negative way. I actually like screaming vocals and loud guitars! I'm not sure if that would suit Madonna's voice though. I was just saying LAP and ROL aren't rock in the usual sense.

If Madonna did a rock influenced album, I would like it to be more like Garbage which has a rock feel, but also elements of electro, techno and pop, rather than the typical straight up rock sound. It would be cool if she worked with Butch Vig.

I think LAP is a rock-oriented song, much like Janet's Black Cat or MJ's Beat It or Dirty Diana.

I don't see LAP having the same rock sound as those songs. LAP has more of a gospel feel. Madonna songs with a rock feel that I can think of would be Candy Perfume Girl and I'm So Stupid.

I don't think that will ever happen because she'll always have touring to fall back on and Europe will always champion her

I mean an artistic disappointment. I don’t care what critics have to say because they pan the Madonna records that are closest to my heart anyway (Erotica and American Life). And a commercial one is relative – only COADF and Music sold well stateside.

the day these rock rumors started :lol:

when the r'n'b sound was announced for Hard Candy, M was the first woman of black disco and now she's the founder of Led Zeppelin all of a sudden :lol:

Whatever floats the excuse boat :lol:

What's the excuse? It's a fact that the first Madonna album and even LAV (which basically had all of the members Chic involved to make it sound the way it does) were heavily R&B influenced (R&B of the day mind you) pop albums. Dance and black radio stations (especially in NY) were some of the very first stations to spin her records and her earliest supporters. This is obviously all pre-Top 40 radio support, that's pretty "to the roots". Hell, even Madonna herself just before LAV release said she felt she wss a white artist making R&B music getting played on pop stations. Given those facts it's pretty inevitable that when Madonna makes a heavily influenced R&B pop album that also has an early 80's vibe on many tracks that some fans may say she's going back to her roots.

Perhaps I overlooked something or a post has been deleted but I don't recall anybody declaring Madonna the next savior of rock and roll or it's founder. But once again, there is a little history with Madonna and rock and roll. Once again it's pretty inevitable people are going to say she's going back to where she started if she does the rock thing because that's where she first did any music whatsoever. So...what's wrong with thinking it would be intersting to see how it would turn out these days if she "went back to her roots" and did a heavily infuenced rock album but still true to her pop/dance sound as she has been on each album?

And LAP is definitely a pop album at heart, but perhaps more than any of her other albums it DOES have what most consider "rock" elements as it has a more organic sound with guitars, live instruments etc. That's all I think people mean in this thread, nobody has claimed anything absurd.

Guest Coked Up Baby Boy

Just because LAP has guitars, doesn't make it rock. It's not rock, and rock fans would punch poofs in the mouth who said otherwise. Thanksthatsallfornowguyscyoulater.

I think doing a rock album would be a huge mistake and a big flop for Madonna.

Imagine a rockier version of AL? A total flop. R&R was not a sucsess by any means. Her rock songs have always sucked and have sounded very forced and unnatural. Candy Parfume Girl in my oppinion is the worst song on ROL. Her earliest "rocksounding" songs are not worth mentioning...

All in all, this sounds doesnt suit her. She is no Arvil Lavine (yaiksssssssss) or Green Day (thank god). She ll be laughed at if she does a teen punk trash music that only American likes (which would most probably be the result).

And last, that album would totally alienate her fans. Not a single one have been a die hard fan because of any of her rock songs.

We find as cute 1 or 2 songs max in a tour MADE INTO rock songs, but can we imagine all songs sounding like this????? It will sucks.

What she has to do is write solid pop songs with Patrick Leonard and then take them to a underground dance producer. Maybe find new things to sing about that she really feels strongly about. Thats it.

like O MII GOOOODDDD if she doesn't do it JUST THIS WAY her career is OVAH! 25+ years down the drain! get back with pat leonard/orbit/bray/pettibone and quick!

Pretending the rumor is true, everyone always thinks madonna is going to flop when she goes in a new/different direction. How can you take a 2-sentence rumor and decide what direction she's going in and already declare the album a flop? shouldn't we wait until we hear the, um...songs? And when you are 50+, no one buys records any more, and your songs aren't played on the radio, what constitutes a flop? She's got nothing to prove.

Brendan O'Brien is notorious for putting a pop sheen on rock tracks - indie music critics hate him for it, in fact. He's no stranger to pop - look at Bruce's recent output. And he's currently producing Aerosmith and My Chemical Romance.

Let's say David Guetta is on the record too. Well, we know what he does. I'm sure there will be plenty of dance and pop to go around.

For the record, I'd love for Madonna to make an "elder statesman of rock" type record. Why not? She's done everything else.

What's the excuse? It's a fact that the first Madonna album and even LAV (which basically had all of the members Chic involved to make it sound the way it does) were heavily R&B influenced (R&B of the day mind you) pop albums. Dance and black radio stations (especially in NY) were some of the very first stations to spin her records and her earliest supporters. This is obviously all pre-Top 40 radio support, that's pretty "to the roots". Hell, even Madonna herself just before LAV release said she felt she wss a white artist making R&B music getting played on pop stations. Given those facts it's pretty inevitable that when Madonna makes a heavily influenced R&B pop album that also has an early 80's vibe on many tracks that some fans may say she's going back to her roots.

Perhaps I overlooked something or a post has been deleted but I don't recall anybody declaring Madonna the next savior of rock and roll or it's founder. But once again, there is a little history with Madonna and rock and roll. Once again it's pretty inevitable people are going to say she's going back to where she started if she does the rock thing because that's where she first did any music whatsoever. So...what's wrong with thinking it would be intersting to see how it would turn out these days if she "went back to her roots" and did a heavily infuenced rock album but still true to her pop/dance sound as she has been on each album?

And LAP is definitely a pop album at heart, but perhaps more than any of her other albums it DOES have what most consider "rock" elements as it has a more organic sound with guitars, live instruments etc. That's all I think people mean in this thread, nobody has claimed anything absurd.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

The great thing about "Like A Prayer", is that it incorporates elements of so many genres while still being a Madonna album. Gospel/Soul (Like a Prayer), Pop (Cherish), Motown (Express Yourself) Psychadelic (Dear Jessie), Epic Balladry (Oh Father), Confessional bare your soul lyrics (Till Death Do Us Part) and last but not least, what SPIN magazine called Madonna's "most punk rock moment ever", Act Of Contrition. Starting and ending the album with Prince playing some seriously arresting guitar work was brilliant. I'll never forget the first time I listened to the album and being STARTLED when Madonna's distorted voice demands "What do you mean it's not in the computer??!?!?" It scared the hell out of me.

The great thing about "Like A Prayer", is that it incorporates elements of so many genres while still being a Madonna album. Gospel/Soul (Like a Prayer), Pop (Cherish), Motown (Express Yourself) Psychadelic (Dear Jessie), Epic Balladry (Oh Father), Confessional bare your soul lyrics (Till Death Do Us Part) and last but not least, what SPIN magazine called Madonna's "most punk rock moment ever", Act Of Contrition. Starting and ending the album with Prince playing some seriously arresting guitar work was brilliant. I'll never forget the first time I listened to the album and being STARTLED when Madonna's distorted voice demands "What do you mean it's not in the computer??!?!?" It scared the hell out of me.

:thumbsup:

Like Madonna is a "rock star" with a pop sound, I suppose LAP in many ways is a "rock" album with a pop sound.

Postelijah, on 10 December 2009 - 02:21 AM, said:

Candy Parfume Girl in my oppinion is the worst song on ROL.

I stopped after reading this. Solly.

me too babe, just rolled the damn thing down :thumbsdown:

Guest bluejean

I agree 200%

I remember there was a lot of controversy when Madonna was inducted into the HOF because she's always made pop music. But IMO, when you look at the way Madonna played the game, she did it like a rock star would. Madonna's spirit and her balls were total rock n' roll, she just made pop/dance music. That's what separates her from a lot of other female pop stars that will likely never get inducted. I think same applies with Tina Turner who is in the HOF and is regarded as a rock goddess, but if you really listen to her music, she's always been more pop/r&b than full-on rock, even songs like The Best or Better Be Good To Me that were so-called "rockers" for her were truly pop songs at heart... but it's the way Tina delivered her songs and played the game that made people take her seriously as a female rocker.

Well, her myspace page says 'pop/rock.' But none of the songs on there are really rock.

I am all for Madonna doing a rock/electro/dance album. I really think she should play guitar on her own recordings for once. I mean did she play guitar on any of her albums so far, I can't recall.

Well, her myspace page says 'pop/rock.' But none of the songs on there are really rock.

I am all for Madonna doing a rock/electro/dance album. I really think she should play guitar on her own recordings for once. I mean did she play guitar on any of her albums so far, I can't recall.

I thought she did on some of AL?

Guest bluejean

Well it's certainly rock influenced, but it's still just a straight up pop song to me.

Yeah. Well prior to this thread I'd never thought of it as rock. But I get why people would claim that.

Ray Of Light as rock though :lmao:

Please, that song is a pure dance song.

when I said Like A Prayer was rock I meant the SONG , not the album. it definitely has rock elements in it. I'm not saying it's pure rock but the rock parts are undeniable.

I stopped after reading this. Solly.

Rock seems to me to be a lifestyle kind of stance, hiding behind this whole macho thing.It just doesnt touch me.

Madonna, NME, December 1995

And I always felt it. Rock is so unmadonna.

Rock seems to me to be a lifestyle kind of stance, hiding behind this whole macho thing.It just doesnt touch me.

And I always felt it. Rock is so unmadonna.

Madonna says a lot of things and often changes her mind later! She also said she hated techno ( think it was in a Spin interview in 1995), but as we all know has done techno influenced records.

The point is Madonna is not a rock fan and has never been one.

Really? I don't buy that. In fact, if she wasn't a fan of "rock" she wouldn't have re-invented a number of her songs to have that rock vibe for her tours. Furthermore, I feel Madonna is graduating more and more into putting on ROCK shows. It's apparent to me, she enjoys playing guitar while on tour, but it certainly doesn't mean she's always going to be playing them for every performance. In any event, I welcome a rock album. And I don't believe it would be all loud guitars and screaming. Rock is more than just about screaming vocals and screaming guitars. And over the years, "Rock music" has evolved and spilled over to different genres. If Madonna was going to make a rock album, you can bet it will be more danced and electronic influenced.

I miss those days where she just recorded an album and we barely knew much about it and then just appreciated it. The last time I checked, Madonna is the musician. She has produced music that she wants, not what she thinks the masses want. Does that mean, she'll have a hit with every album? Nope. But any long time fan knows that Madonna does her own thing.

Guest Coked Up Baby Boy

Erm, no Madonna :lmao: