Madonna prepares for new album?

Guest dicktracy

But the reason why she will never make an album full of "Borderline" and "Hung Up" rock version sounding songs because it would end up too same-y for her and that she wouldn't be able to create a show around those songs. She's not gonna perform half the show behind the guitar and most of those rock reinventions are reserved for old songs she doesn't like to sing.

And if she recorded 1-2 songs like that only, they'd feel out of place. Even "Candy Perfume Girl" on ROL is kinda out of place, that was her only electric guitar performance that resembled the original version the most (ILNY and ISS in their album versions don't have the guitar as prominent as on tour).

There's no law that says songs with electric guitars in them can only be performed with the singer standing still and playing guitar. She could still do music with a rock feel and be able to move around in an interesting "show" type of way. There are many singers of rock influenced acts that don't play guitar on stage. You seem to be stuck in a very limited way of thinking which I think Madonna has been too in the last couple of years. Think outside of the box!

For the record, I wouldn't want a whole album of rock songs. I would like her to mix them in with some mid tempo acoustic things and some piano ballads. There's no law that says every song on an album has to be in the same genre. Again, stop thinking in a limited way and think outside of the box.

another re-invention for another decade. wow. if she does a dance-rock album, won't it sound like "human" by the killers?

but that would mean teaming up with stuart price again?!?

Something a little more "organic" sounding would be a welcome sound - she hasn't treaded those waters in a while. The Chrissy Hynde reference would be a cool sound for her to wrap her voice around, sort of like early Emmy stuff - I guess we will see. Let's NEVER underestimate our Grrrl!

I feel like in the lattest years she didn't have the freedom enough when she was with Warner to go being more adventurous. You know how Discographics are. i hope this New Live Nation era allows her to, specially when our lady is getting older. I think a more rock presence in her music would suit that stage in her career. Let the damn youngsters have all the dancy coreographies, Madonna's done it for ages so the rock aura would take her to another territory without giving up the dancefloor completely. i just do not imagine her shaking her flesh frenetically to a dance coreography when she gets closer to 60's as her body won't cope with all those hard movements and sing at the same time. The less dancy territory may be the solution for that knowing that her deal with live nation will have her touring for 2 or 3 times more...besides as someone said, there are always the remixes for the dance sake. :thumbsup:

Edited by charles

I feel like in the lattest years she didn't have the freedom enough when she was with Warner to go being more adventurous. You know how Discographies are. i hope this New Live Nation era allows her to, specially when our lady is getting older. I think a more rock presence in her music would suit that stage in her career. Let the damn youngsters have all the dancy coreographies, Madonna's done it for ages so the rock aura would take her to another territory without giving up the dancefloor completely. i just do not imagine her shaking her flesh frenetically to a dance coreography when she gets closer to 60's as her body won't cope with all those hard movements and sing at the same time. The less dancy territory may be the solution for that knowing that her deal with live nation will have her touring for 2 or 3 times more...besides as someone said, there are always the remixes for the dance sake. :thumbsup:

I agree. Rock still has a very youthful cool appeal to a younger audience. I think Madonna is a young spirit at heart so doing just the type the type of AC ballads or folky singer songwriter music that some people want would not make her happy. But rock is youthful and fun which fits her personality.

She should've done an album with Headcleanr and Mount Sims

I think the "rock" boat has passed. It was something I wanted, but really in all honesty she's explored it enough since it was on tour all decade. It's not really her.

I don't agree with that. I don't think you can determine that based on "revinvented" hits she has sang on tour. Nor do I think that an album with a primary rock sound would mean that the tour the album is supporting would feature her standing with her guitar on every song. It seems a couple of posts have made that implication and that's NOT Madonna. As long as she's able bodied I don't see her doing a show like that.

An album with a heavy, dominant rock (with the DANCE of course...because when has she NOT been dance??) sound is something she has never experimented with before. I think it could be something good for her. As mentioned, none of the other "princesses" are doing that so she can't be accused of ripping one of them off.

Guest dicktracy

Something a little more "organic" sounding would be a welcome sound - she hasn't treaded those waters in a while. The Chrissy Hynde reference would be a cool sound for her to wrap her voice around, sort of like early Emmy stuff - I guess we will see. Let's NEVER underestimate our Grrrl!

That is totally what I am hoping! I want her music to sound somewhat like her early new wave/Emmy stuff. It's danceable but with a post-punk/synth rock vibe. Kind of like Burning Up... or even Human by The Killers.

Maybe something like this but with a more updated sound like the last clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoJzUOoL19A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOu3VdygDEo

The R&R mixes of AL and LP were better than the originals, so I'd welcome something along those lines- just with stronger songs.

I don't want to see her go thrash metal or anything, but I've loved her tracks that had rock/guitar-leaning sensibilities- think the first four tracks on Ray of Light. LOVE LOVE LOVE those.

I don't agree with that. I don't think you can determine that based on "revinvented" hits she has sang on tour. Nor do I think that an album with a primary rock sound would mean that the tour the album is supporting would feature her standing with her guitar on every song. It seems a couple of posts have made that implication and that's NOT Madonna. As long as she's able bodied I don't see her doing a show like that.

An album with a heavy, dominant rock (with the DANCE of course...because when has she NOT been dance??) sound is something she has never experimented with before. I think it could be something good for her. As mentioned, none of the other "princesses" are doing that so she can't be accused of ripping one of them off.

:thumbsup:

Guest Not4Pussies

i would love for her to go the rock route. something she hasnt experimented with full on

she has given us a taste of some "rock/pop" songs here and there on some of her albums and remixes

hope its true. we need something new from her

but knowing madonna she still wants to dance

This Brendan O'Brien seems interesting... definitely unexpected if it would turn out to be true...

I still feel extremely EEEEEW about Guetta though..

If they somehow would combine the two to one sound it could turn out interesting though... but not "just" Guetta on any song please.

I think a rock/dance album would be a good idea for Madonna.Something along the lines of the Black Eyed Peas' recent hit "I Gotta Feeling".....a cool mix of electro/rock/dance.That's the type of sound I want from Madonna!

I hate that song from the bottom of my heart.

It makes me wanna puke.

Guest Coked Up Baby Boy

I can't believe no-one exclaimed "OMG, SHE'S GOING BACK TO HER ROOTS!!!" yet... :lol:

It's the phrase used for every album in the making... :lol:

:rotfl: So true.

I can't believe no-one exclaimed "OMG, SHE'S GOING BACK TO HER ROOTS!!!" yet... :lol:

It's the phrase used for every album in the making... :lol:

But this time she's REALLY going back to her roots. The roots of her earliest songs. :lol:

But this time she's REALLY going back to her roots. The roots of her earliest songs. :lol:

actually true ;)

As for Madonna being a dance act... I don't know why people call her that?

Yes you can dance to many of her songs... but I wouldn't necessarily call all of them "dance" though...

I think she started out as a Pop act with influences by difference genres... and that is what she kept doing...

she did Dance oriented Pop, electro-pop, urban-pop etc. The only "pure" dance album she did was COADF.

But from the very start, before her debut, I think she did punk influenced Pop

Guest Danny86

There's no law that says songs with electric guitars in them can only be performed with the singer standing still and playing guitar. She could still do music with a rock feel and be able to move around in an interesting "show" type of way. There are many singers of rock influenced acts that don't play guitar on stage. You seem to be stuck in a very limited way of thinking which I think Madonna has been too in the last couple of years. Think outside of the box!

For the record, I wouldn't want a whole album of rock songs. I would like her to mix them in with some mid tempo acoustic things and some piano ballads. There's no law that says every song on an album has to be in the same genre. Again, stop thinking in a limited way and think outside of the box.

But what's the point of thinking outside the box about Madonna when Madonna doesn't do it most of the time? ;) I wouldn't mind Madonna mixing all those genres you listed, but can she pull it off? She would need a lot of diverse major collaborators to achieve that and she doesn't seem to be a fan of using more than 1 or 2 dominating people on her albums. Last time she did that was Bedtime Stories and she repeatedly said it was not a good idea, the process was a test to her "sanity" and in the end she made Nellee Hooper spice up previous songs to give a cohesive feel. She likes to have one sound, one feel for an album. I just don't think she's as diverse as we sometimes make her out to be.

And "limited way" is a matter of perspective I think. Some people would say Madonna has been limited for ages because she can only create a tour divided to 4-5 segments. Others would say Madonna is limited because she cannot produce music on her own. Others complain about her excessive use of samples and mashups on tour, essentially asking her to re-produce her hits each time she performs them on tour without any rip offs. It's easy to let our imagination run wild and dream what she "could" do, but what's the point? Did any of the "fan requests" after 2000 turn out to be true when it comes to her artistic decisions? And I'm not saying she's "dull" or anything, but I think Madonna has her own path and she's been running on it for 3 decades and if you examine her career more deeply you'll see the "Madonna methods" that make her who she is and methods she's been doing for ages, which in my opinion, totally outnumber the things she did that cannot be put in a box (not counting her videos and messages here). Like I said a while ago, most artists don't even get the chance to make music as long as Madonna, but just because she did, it doesn't mean through it she became someone completely different from the girl who wrote "Everybody". For example, even if she managed to open up in LAP and sing about her personal feelings, it doesn't mean she learned to be completely independent in songwriting. Basically all of her albums have a song she either didn't write, or she just changed a few words and took credit. She never managed to break free from that. Neither she stopped just taking full instrumental demos and throw lyrics on them, turns out the Music album had a lot of that, yet people use that as the template for what she's capable of etc. for the record, I know LAP doesn't have any of that, but she did say Patrick Leonard wrote the melody of "Oh Father", so I just don't think the theories about her "dumbing down" or "running dry" are accurate.

I'll be the first one to say I'm wrong if something completely different happens, but if it doesn't, well at least I didn't have my expectations in unrealistic territory. And I'm not saying you have to view her that way, I'm just explaining what you called as "limited thinking".

actually true ;)

As for Madonna being a dance act... I don't know why people call her that?

Yes you can dance to many of her songs... but I wouldn't necessarily call all of them "dance" though...

I think she started out as a Pop act with influences by difference genres... and that is what she kept doing...

she did Dance oriented Pop, electro-pop, urban-pop etc. The only "pure" dance album she did was COADF.

But from the very start, before her debut, I think she did punk influenced Pop

I think people and actually Madonna herself uses the term "dance" in a broader meaning, not just as the "genre of COADF", she means uptempo pop music. And most of her career is based on that. Just put on the Celebration GH and you'll see Madonna wants to be remembered for her umptempo stuff and that most of her milestone hits are dance-pop. Also notable when she transforms some of her more serious songs into pure dance on tours, like LAP each time, or "Frozen" on the last tour, in fact while LAP was one of her least dance albums, she still got Shep Pettibone to put the singles on the house bandwagon. So yeah, I'd say dance is what she does/likes the most and other than the years leading up to Evita, she never abandoned it.

Think Madonna has always had a natural leaning towards rock more than any other genre IMHO...some her most critically acclaimed work has been rock...Like a Prayer and Ray of Light...I'd love to hear her making some futuristic rock music. When Madonna makes rock music she's at her dirtiest and most creative...which is never a bad thing. No American Life flashbacks though thank you please.

Madonna's attitude and the way she approaches her work always had been very rock-n-roll, unquestionably. And, like said, I enjoyed the tracks using rock guitar on ROL- something along those lines would be great.

But what's the point of thinking outside the box about Madonna when Madonna doesn't do it most of the time? ;) I wouldn't mind Madonna mixing all those genres you listed, but can she pull it off? She would need a lot of diverse major collaborators to achieve that and she doesn't seem to be a fan of using more than 1 or 2 dominating people on her albums. Last time she did that was Bedtime Stories and she repeatedly said it was not a good idea, the process was a test to her "sanity" and in the end she made Nellee Hooper spice up previous songs to give a cohesive feel. She likes to have one sound, one feel for an album. I just don't think she's as diverse as we sometimes make her out to be.

I don't see why she necessarily needs multiple producers to have variety. Are all producers limited to just one sound? Surely there are great producers and songwriters who can do more than one type of song.

I also don't think Madonna is as one dimensional as you seem to think. I don't think she has always been the exact same person who did Everybody. She has a lot of variety in her music over the years.

And I don't think she has to write songs by herself. She could still do songs written by others that she just contributed lyrics too, just maybe in a different kind of genre.

You are so determined to come up with any twisted reason why she can't do anything different. I don't understand why you want to keep her in one place.

I think doing a rock album would be a huge mistake and a big flop for Madonna.

Imagine a rockier version of AL? A total flop. R&R was not a sucsess by any means. Her rock songs have always sucked and have sounded very forced and unnatural. Candy Parfume Girl in my oppinion is the worst song on ROL. Her earliest "rocksounding" songs are not worth mentioning...

All in all, this sounds doesnt suit her. She is no Arvil Lavine (yaiksssssssss) or Green Day (thank god). She ll be laughed at if she does a teen punk trash music that only American likes (which would most probably be the result).

And last, that album would totally alienate her fans. Not a single one have been a die hard fan because of any of her rock songs.

We find as cute 1 or 2 songs max in a tour MADE INTO rock songs, but can we imagine all songs sounding like this????? It will sucks.

What she has to do is write solid pop songs with Patrick Leonard and then take them to a underground dance producer. Maybe find new things to sing about that she really feels strongly about. Thats it.