How I miss the good videos!

Guest valhum

the lady gaga/madonna comparisons in the press get on my nerves. then again, it's true, gaga does what madonna used to do: impress with video imagery.

the only difference is: madonna mostly had a POINT, gaga does it for the "wtf"-effect (björk minus her spirit). marilyn manson-ish as someone said before.

madonna needs a MESSAGE - and the will to spend money on visuals for -cough- youtube. unlikely to me and it's sad, sad ,sad.

btw, cherish is a masterpiece. little effort, huge effect. as mentioend before, it did enhance the song.

not the case with M's recent videos. (the dance moves? hello? fire the choreographer! lol)

As someone who's been into videos since the beginning, I think "Bad Romance" from GaGa is pretty amazing. Probably the only new artist worthy of comparison to Madonna in almost 3 decades. Her imagery is surreal, but certainly she's got a message - look at the song, dealing with the rage and unresolved feelings of a poorly ended relationship. There's a lot going on there, and the images reflect those angry emotions pretty well, GaGa's is an up and coming video artist. If you consider the emphasis on appearance, beauty, etc. it says a lot for a young woman to be doing this. I can't imagine the resistance she's gotten early on to fit a mold (pretty, demure, etc.) in which to package her writing and vocals. Madonna is breaking other boundaries now, her biggest foe is ageism and her biggest gains are in touring and live shows, I doubt we'll see any more great videos from Madonna, they're too expensive with no pay off for her. GaGa on the other hand can develop her following as she nutures her creativity. Can't wait for what she comes up with next...

Ugh but I cannot stand how Gaga will take Madonna's place and in these days of 5 minute memory, everyone will keep praising Gaga and forget about Madonna, you know how the media is nowadays.

So, will Madonna turn into a Rolling Stones type, just touring with nothing to show on the medias?!?!

Ugh but I cannot stand how Gaga will take Madonna's place and in these days of 5 minute memory, everyone will keep praising Gaga and forget about Madonna, you know how the media is nowadays.

So, will Madonna turn into a Rolling Stones type, just touring with nothing to show on the medias?!?!

Stop being so dramatic and ridiculous. No one is taking Madonna's place....least of all Gaga. She's doing her thing, and the kids love her, as it should be. She's been around less than two years, and the ADD kids have already proclaimed her the new queen of nothing, based on a few videos, and some vapid pop tracks, that could have been sung by any number of pop singers. People need to get a grip, and stop trying to add an extra 25 years to her resume.

Gaga released a flashy video full of cliches, recycled ideas, product promotion (a perfect reflection of her generation). This week Madonna has been raising millions of dollars to actually help people who really need it. What she did this week is infinitely more interesting and thought provoking to me, than watching Gaga dance around with a rat on her head.

Guest Danny86

I really think her upcoming Live Nation era will spark a major return to her video vanguard roots.

You really shouldn't count on that. If anything, we should expect more videos like "Miles Away" that are about Madonna the live performer.

That Die Another Day video would have been the perfect concept for Give It 2 Me.

This has come up before. GI2M is too lighthearted and positive to have that kinda video. Also, that tour "Die Another Day" video is hardly anymore elaborate than her recent stuff, it's just that it has a dark tone which was not present in her videos since the original DAD that's why it's perceived as "different". I'm sure if it was a regular video the same people would bash it for being too simple and being without storyline.

I don't think it will happen because both sides feel that she has nothing to prove at this point. The reason they won't is because in the end it doesn't matter. If she puts out amazing videos or if she puts out mediocre videos, the end result will be the same. Her tours will still sell the same. She doesn't even need to release music anymore. She can easily milk her music catalog for her future tours. Its probably why she also doesn't do promo anymore.

Agreed, but her contract does have new music in it. Madonna herself needs that to be able to create new shows, since she adjusts the hits to the latest music.

PS: While Madonna does have several "storyline" videos, I wouldn't say they are actual representative of her videography. There are fan favs like "Rain", "Bedtime Story", "Frozen" or NRM that have no storyline and some of those that have are relatively simple, like the TAB-YS-TPOG "lover did me wrong" stuff. The "real" storyline videos like PDP, LAP, BG and WIFLFAG are hardly representative of 60 videos. Not to mention that several of these were done because Madonna wanted to show off her acting, so obviously she would not put effort into that anymore.

is infinitely more interesting and thought provoking to me, than watching Gaga dance around with a rat on her head.

:rotfl: But I thought that made everyone go ALL OVER 1985 AGAIN!

Guest Pud Whacker

Stop being so dramatic and ridiculous. No one is taking Madonna's place....least of all Gaga. She's doing her thing, and the kids love her, as it should be. She's been around less than two years, and the ADD kids have already proclaimed her the new queen of nothing, based on a few videos, and some vapid pop tracks, that could have been sung by any number of pop singers. People need to get a grip, and stop trying to add an extra 25 years to her resume.

Gaga released a flashy video full of cliches, recycled ideas, product promotion (a perfect reflection of her generation). This week Madonna has been raising millions of dollars to actually help people who really need it. What she did this week is infinitely more interesting and thought provoking to me, than watching Gaga dance around with a rat on her head.

youre fantastic and should be awarded.

:lol:

Yes, but what if you compare the Gaga of 2009 to the Madonna of 1984? :lol:

No millions for the poor kids back then :dramatic:

Guest Pud Whacker

No one who actually witnessed Madonna in 1984, would stupidly compare her to Gaga of 2009. :wacko:

madonna is sex. before we even saw her. it was her voice. joanne is sex-less in voice, image, everything.

How I miss the good videos

How I miss songs with a little depth in them

How I miss the amazing albums

How I miss her bringing something new to the table instead of following trends (4 minutes, celebration)

How I miss a good Madonna ballad

How bad her voice has become

How she doesn't seem to give a shit about her albums anymore

Albeit the tours are good they are all a variation of each other

Getting a divorce was the best thing she could do cause I hope she goes out again and gets inspired....she's hanging with the gays again

which is good, now get rid of your fucking Kaballah crap and childrens books and moviedirecting dreams..you'll never win an oscar and you'll never be accepted and you will never be as good at it as you were as a pop artist

I want her to promote her shit much more, don't be "above" it cause girl you ain't selling that much anymore and the general public perception of you is that you are a sad old cunt dying for attention, whilst we all know she's much more then that.

i just wish she would put some effort in her music career.

madonna is sex. before we even saw her. it was her voice. joanne is sex-less in voice, image, everything.

I love how you always refer to Gaga as Joanne, just makes my day :lol:

Joanne is gorge, madonna is not. get over it.

you go shittin on a towel you hear?

How I miss her bringing something new to the table instead of following trends (4 minutes, celebration)

Getting a divorce was the best thing she could do cause I hope she goes out again and gets inspired....she's hanging with the gays again

which is good, now get rid of your fucking Kaballah crap and childrens books and moviedirecting dreams..you'll never win an oscar and you'll never be accepted and you will never be as good at it as you were as a pop artist

I want her to promote her shit much more, don't be "above" it cause girl you ain't selling that much anymore and the general public perception of you is that you are a sad old cunt dying for attention, whilst we all know she's much more then that.

Ok, I dunno if you are being honest or sarcastic, lol, but yeah :lol:

If you people really believe any of that crap about Madonna, then why are you still here?? Doesn't Gaga have her own forum somewhere?? It's such a fucking drag to come to a Madonna forum, and read nothing but disdain for everything she's done the last few years. Constructive criticism is fine, but when you have a complete fucking laundry list of reasons why you think Madonna sucks, perhaps it's time to leave, and stop annoying the shit out of people who actually still dig Madonna, and that she still accomplishes.

:rotfl:

Guest waiting

:lmao:

If you people really believe any of that crap about Madonna, then why are you still here?? Doesn't Gaga have her own forum somewhere?? It's such a fucking drag to come to a Madonna forum, and read nothing but disdain for everything she's done the last few years. Constructive criticism is fine, but when you have a complete fucking laundry list of reasons why you think Madonna sucks, perhaps it's time to leave, and stop annoying the shit out of people who actually still dig Madonna, and that she still accomplishes.

I dunno man, maybe because we like her so much we feel that she is lacking efforts in certain areas.

Guest Madlover033003

You really shouldn't count on that. If anything, we should expect more videos like "Miles Away" that are about Madonna the live performer.

This has come up before. GI2M is too lighthearted and positive to have that kinda video. Also, that tour "Die Another Day" video is hardly anymore elaborate than her recent stuff, it's just that it has a dark tone which was not present in her videos since the original DAD that's why it's perceived as "different". I'm sure if it was a regular video the same people would bash it for being too simple and being without storyline.

Agreed, but her contract does have new music in it. Madonna herself needs that to be able to create new shows, since she adjusts the hits to the latest music.

PS: While Madonna does have several "storyline" videos, I wouldn't say they are actual representative of her videography. There are fan favs like "Rain", "Bedtime Story", "Frozen" or NRM that have no storyline and some of those that have are relatively simple, like the TAB-YS-TPOG "lover did me wrong" stuff. The "real" storyline videos like PDP, LAP, BG and WIFLFAG are hardly representative of 60 videos. Not to mention that several of these were done because Madonna wanted to show off her acting, so obviously she would not put effort into that anymore.

:rotfl: But I thought that made everyone go ALL OVER 1985 AGAIN!

yeah but Rain, Frozen, TPOG, and TAB were so beautifully directed. You can't possibly compare those to her recent videos :manson:

Someone needs their special pill... :lol:

Right. Because trying HARDER will cure this (mis)perception. :eyeroll and forehead smack:

Guest Madlover033003

what bs....i look forward the tour? she did tours back in the day too and still made kick ass videos. face it, her creativity outside of touring has been horrible

Guest Danny86

I love current Madonna. Instead of looking forward to music videos I look forward to the tours. 2 hour concert for an album or 3-5 music videos, I'd go with the tour.

TOTALLY! :thumbsup:

I love current Madonna. Instead of looking forward to music videos I look forward to the tours. 2 hour concert for an album or 3-5 music videos, I'd go with the tour.

Exactly my thought! Anyway, I'm sure Madonna will treat us to new, jaw-dropping videos in the near future under the LN contract.

Guest Pud Whacker

what bs....i look forward the tour? she did tours back in the day too and still made kick ass videos. face it, her creativity outside of touring has been horrible

then hit the road, jack. youve been singing this tune for years. masochist.

Uh well maybe back in the day she didn't have 4 kids and maybe she wasn't doing all the amazing charity work she's doing now and maybe she wasn't 51 years old? And no her creativity has not been horrible, that's really overdoing it.