"Glee": The Power of Madonna (All-Madonna Episode)

thebigham

Last night’s spring premiere of GLEE posted a 5.6/15 rating among Adults 18-49 and achieved its highest-rated telecast to date among all key demos. GLEE is the No. 1 new series of the season among Adults 18-34, and last night’s telecast was the highest rated of any new scripted show this season among Adults 18-49.

The FOX series scored the biggest audience in its short history Tuesday, going from cult favorite to top-20 show in the span of one hour. The headline numbers are 13.66 million viewers -- more than 5 million above its season average of 7.95 million -- and a 5.6 rating in the adults 18-49 demographic, a bump of two full points over its fall run.

(The show's previous high mark was for the pilot episode last May, which drew 9.6 million viewers and a 3.9 in the 18-49 demo.)

Having "American Idol" as a lead-in certainly helped, but that's not the only factor in the improved ratings. FOX did a pretty brilliant job at keeping fan awareness high while the show was off, and newcomers had a chance to catch up with a DVD set of the first 13 episodes.

The most striking thing about the ratings Tuesday, to me at least, was the fact that among adults 18-34 -- where "Glee" has had the most success all season -- it actually outdrew "American Idol" (5.8 to 5.6). That almost never happens. "Glee" also retained a higher percentage of "Idol's" adults 18-49 rating than lead-out since a February 2008 episode of "House" and held onto two-thirds of the overall audience, which is also pretty strong for a show airing after "American Idol."

I hope Madonna's episode does even better numbers. But I guess we'll see...

I like this whole project, because it *Is* giving her exposure to a younger crowd. It's one thing to use someone's song in the episode, but to have the whole dang episode centered on one act- and to have that act's name in the title and actually be referenced numerous times throughout the episode- great coup.

+1

Obviously false. :lmao:

I love the video, altho she sounds stern and cold. I see they editted out the more controversial parts. Why isn't this released as a single yet?

I agree with you (and others) that this rings false. It was pretty well admitted that she was not familiar enough with "Glee" prior to their contacting her (well, contacting Guy O.). There was a story about how Liz Rosenberg's daughter-in-law was a big fan of "Glee" and after Guy and Liz persuaded Madonna to be involved, Liz went and called her daughter-in-law to tell her the good news. In that story, they admitted Madonna wasn't familiar with the show then, but it's not like she's going to bash the show -- that doesn't make good business sense.

BUT ... I don't exactly know what you mean about editing out the controversial parts. The only moments in "Vogue" that seem slightly scandalous are the diaphanous top during the first verse and the cone bra during "bump and grind it." There was ZERO CHANCE that they were actually going to show Jane Lynch's breasts through that top (I mean, come on -- they were airbrushed out of the original video for most of the years it aired on MTV!)... but they left the cone bra in. Otherwise, there's little controversy about "Vogue." They edited out the second verse.

I suppose the Horst P. Horst shot is somewhat controversial, too, but they left that in, so...

There is ZERO chance Madonna said she "would rather they sing an Elton John song than butcher one of hers." What all out bullshit.

But I wonder if she said "Mr. Shuester was cute" as the FOX press release said. That is odd.

This episode is shaping up to be one of the most postive events to come Madonna's way in a long long time. From what I have seen, the way the eppy is written puts her in one of the most postive lights I have ever seen. On top of that, this comes as the show is ascending rapidly in popularity and public awareness. And it is very popular among younger but not too young audiences who need to be reminded just how special Madonna really is. At the same time, older viewers will be reminded of her "power". It is the perfect storm of positivity for her. The buzz surrounding this is deafening. YAY for Madonna!

Well, she said "Ricky Martin is SOO cute" at the Grammys, so it's possible. Maybe it's her way of repaying Matthew Morrison with kindness for his comments about not really being that into her. (Ridiculous! As if Madonna didn't infiltrate ALL nooks and crannies of life -- regardless of your sexual orientation -- in the 80s and 90s. And at his age, he's certainly old enough to remember all that, unlike some of the 'kids' on the show.)

But I totally agree to your paragraph about a 'perfect storm of positivity' -- ABOUT TIME! YAY for Madonna, indeed!

Next week will be "Glee"/Madonna mania running wild. Will viewers opt for the EP, or download individual songs? Or both? Both of the previous two "Glee" albums were released notably after the individual tracks' availability.

Guest Topaz Scorpio

Madonna songs should definitely benefit from this on Itunes. The video for "Vogue" is already at #34 on Itunes top videos. It should continue to rise as they hype the show all week.

Well said HolidayGuy. Also, you can't just skip over eps with acts you don't like or aren't familiar with. All Glee fans have to watch the Madonna episode and sit through it aaaalllll.

Entertainment Weekly EP review:

Reviewed by Mikael Wood | Apr 14, 2010

Details Release Date: Apr 20, 2010; Genre: Pop

We've learned not to doubt the Glee kids around here, but we'll admit we were worried when we found out that Madonna's lame ''4 Minutes'' was set for inclusion on this all-Madge mini-album The Power of Glee (due in stores April 27). Our bad: Kurt and Mercedes rip it up! Elsewhere, Sue hilariously revises the spoken-word bit on ''Vogue,'' and the Glee guys give a surprisingly tender reading of ''What It Feels Like for a Girl.'' Go ahead — open your heart. A

Download These:

Sue's delicious deadpan Vogue at myspace.com

A zippy Borderline/Open Your Heart mash-up at youtube.com

LOS ANGELES, Calif. --

Madonna has given her thumbs-up to “Glee’s” upcoming episode featuring her music.

“I think Mr. Schuester is very cute,” Madonna said in a statement, referencing Matthew Morrisons’s “Glee” club leader/teacher character at McKinley High School.

“And I’m glad he’s doing such a good job empowering all the girls,” the Material Mom added.

As previously reported on AccessHollywood.com, on April 20, “Glee” devotes their entire hour to Madonna songs in an episode titled, “The Power of Madonna.”

The episode follows Mr. Schuester as he expresses concern that the ladies of the glee club are being disrespected and bullied by the male members.

In order to give the girls confidence, Mr. Shue asks the glee club girls to tackle Madonna songs “in the hopes that the girls embrace Madonna’s strength, independence and confidence so that the guys will see the errors of their misogynistic ways,” FOX said in a statement.

Guest groovyguy

LOS ANGELES, Calif. --

Madonna has given her thumbs-up to "Glee's" upcoming episode featuring her music.

"I think Mr. Schuester is very cute," Madonna said in a statement, referencing Matthew Morrisons's "Glee" club leader/teacher character at McKinley High School.

"And I'm glad he's doing such a good job empowering all the girls," the Material Mom added.

As previously reported on AccessHollywood.com, on April 20, "Glee" devotes their entire hour to Madonna songs in an episode titled, "The Power of Madonna."

The episode follows Mr. Schuester as he expresses concern that the ladies of the glee club are being disrespected and bullied by the male members.

In order to give the girls confidence, Mr. Shue asks the glee club girls to tackle Madonna songs "in the hopes that the girls embrace Madonna's strength, independence and confidence so that the guys will see the errors of their misogynistic ways," FOX said in a statement.

Indeed, the POWER of MADONNA! :bow::bow::bow::bow:

Madonna songs should definitely benefit from this on Itunes. The video for "Vogue" is already at #34 on Itunes top videos. It should continue to rise as they hype the show all week.

Madonna's video or Glees?

Okay, kids really are stupid. If you go watch Vogue on youtube the comments are now filled with nothing but Glee fans saying how much beter Sue's version is. :wacko:

And was this one posted yet? :wow:

LOS ANGELES, Calif. --

Madonna has given her thumbs-up to “Glee’s” upcoming episode featuring her music.

“I think Mr. Schuester is very cute,” Madonna said in a statement, referencing Matthew Morrisons’s “Glee” club leader/teacher character at McKinley High School.

“And I’m glad he’s doing such a good job empowering all the girls,” the Material Mom added.

As previously reported on AccessHollywood.com, on April 20, “Glee” devotes their entire hour to Madonna songs in an episode titled, “The Power of Madonna.”

In order to give the girls confidence, Mr. Shue asks the glee club girls to tackle Madonna songs “in the hopes that the girls embrace Madonna’s strength, independence and confidence so that the guys will see the errors of their misogynistic ways,” FOX said in a statement.

This is getting better by the minute. It will not only expose her songs to the younger generations, they will also learn through the episode's plot about the significance of her success, the empowerment message of her music and that ultimately she was influential far more than a simple pop star.

Not that there was a doubt about it, but other pretenders to the throne can not even dream of such a comprehensive tribute.

Okay, kids really are stupid. If you go watch Vogue on youtube the comments are now filled with nothing but Glee fans saying how much beter Sue's version is. :wacko:

And was this one posted yet? :wow:

That is so cool. Thanks for posting!

I have to admit I don't like their cover of LAP, it sounds like a Celine cover :nocomment: it seems more about vocal acrobats than about the message and emotion.

Exclusive: Madonna Rates Glee's All-Madonna Episode: "Brilliant"

Thumbs way up from Madonna -- and Lourdes, too!

The Material Girl caught a sneak peek the upcoming "Power of Madonna" episode of Fox's Glee, in which McKinley High's Glee Club reinterprets Madonna's classic songs of female empowerment.

Madonna, 51, tells UsMagazine.com exclusively what she thought of the tribute:

"I thought the Madonna episode of Glee was brilliant on every level. The dialogue and the entire script was genius. I completely appreciated the layers of irony, especially when all those macho boys sang 'What It Feels Like For A Girl.'

I also loved the fantastic performances of 'Vogue,' 'Express Yourself' and all the messages about the boys being respectful to girls.

The entire cast was amazing. They're all so talented. I especially loved Sue Sylvester (Jane Lynch) and Kurt Hummel's (Chris Colfer) characters. [show creator] Ryan Murphy did a great job bringing all these elements together.

[Daughter] Lola loved the show too. I wish I went to a high school like that...If only."

"The Power of Madonna" episode of Glee airs this Tuesday on Fox.

From UsMagazine.com. (via madonnatribe)

Glee's 4 Minutes is out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQRPPgvYjxI

Seriously the best Glee song ever. It rocks on every level. Chris Colfer sounds much better in his lower register then that awful higher one.

I'm sorry but I can't stand the whole whitney/Celine/Mariah warble that girl does she fucking ruins it. But the dude does a nice job.

Guest nothingfails0603

I love that the promo is so Madonna its unheard of. You never see Madonna mentioned on TV without anything about how "old" she is (seriously give me a fucking break about how old she is... Mick Jagger, Paul McCartney, Babs, Tina, Aretha are always going to be at least 15 years older than her) and the sort. Maybe this could help change the public perception of her away from being the old lady with the British accent who adopts babies back to the queen of pop music. It really irks me that there's a generation of teens out there who believe Mariah has accomplished more.

Exclusive: Madonna Rates Glee's All-Madonna Episode: "Brilliant"

Thumbs way up from Madonna -- and Lourdes, too!

The Material Girl caught a sneak peek the upcoming "Power of Madonna" episode of Fox's Glee, in which McKinley High's Glee Club reinterprets Madonna's classic songs of female empowerment.

Madonna, 51, tells UsMagazine.com exclusively what she thought of the tribute:

"I thought the Madonna episode of Glee was brilliant on every level.

You know Madonna's cooter squirted at the line, "Madonna is the most powerful woman to ever walk the earth."

*soaking wet granny Kaballah panties* :p