"Glee": The Power of Madonna (All-Madonna Episode)

thebigham

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/04/14/sue-sylvester-strikes-a-pose-glee-does-vogue/

April 14, 2010, 8:52 am

Sue Sylvester Strikes a Pose: ‘Glee’ Does ‘Vogue’

By DAVE ITZKOFF

In what is almost certainly a preemptive strike against television bloggers who can’t resist leaking it to the Web themselves, Fox has released an authorized clip of its remake of the music video for Madonna’s hit “Vogue,” as performed by the cast of “Glee.”

Jane Lynch — who plays the show’s sadistic cheerleading coach, Sue Sylvester — stands in for Ms. Ciccone in the clip, which was previewed on Tuesday night in advance of next week’s Madonna-themed episode. For someone whose big career breaks were a quick voiceover in the Dolly Parton movie “Straight Talk” and a Frosted Flakes commercial, we have to say that Ms. Lynch’s vocals aren’t half-bad.

For anyone who didn’t live through the 1990s, yes, we really did make those ridiculous hand gestures when the song was played at our high-school dances.

Supposedly there are comments on YouTube from people who've never seen the original video- *GASP* (who checked out the original after seeing the 'Glee" version)

typical.....i'm finding more and more...that young people have no interest in knowing anything about MADONNA aside from the fact she is a MOM and she's old....that's what i hear from my students anyways.

Maybe this will help open their eyes to how much MADONNA has done...and why she is who she is.

Supposedly there are comments on YouTube from people who've never seen the original video- *GASP* (who checked out the original after seeing the 'Glee" version)

Well there is a whole group of teens and tweens now that know nothing about Madonna except that she did a song with Justin Timberlake. Kind of scary when you think about it. Lets you know how old we are getting also. :lol:

FOX press release:

(BTW- "Glee" returned to GREAT ratings last night- some 13m viewers and an 18-49 demo rating close to 6.0)

SUE SYLVESTER’S VIDEO HOMAGE TO MADONNA’S “VOGUE” TO DEBUT TONIGHT DURING SPRING PREMIERE OF “GLEE” AIRING AT A SPECIAL TIME 9:28-10:30 PM ET/PT AFTER “AMERICAN IDOL” ON FOX

Video Debuts One Week Prior to “The Power of Madonna” Episode of GLEE Airing Tuesday, April 20

The world premiere of SUE SYLVESTER’s (Jane Lynch) “Vogue” video will air during the highly anticipated spring premiere of GLEE tonight,Tuesday, April 13 (9:28-10:30 PM ET/PT) following AMERICAN IDOL on FOX. The three-minute video premiere, which is sponsored by Chevy, will debut one week before it airs as part of “The Power of Madonna” episode on Tuesday, April 20 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT). Sure to be a fan favorite, GLEE’s “Vogue” features Sue, KURT (Chris Colfer) and MERCEDES (Amber Riley) in an homage to Madonna with a brilliant shot-by-shot re-creation of the groundbreaking music video.

In the “Hell-o” spring premiere episode, GLEE picks up as New Directions is fresh off their monumental win at Sectionals and feeling on top of the world. With an extra spring in their step, they get to work on new numbers for Regionals – including a memorable rendition of The Beatles’ “Hello, Goodbye.” But when RACHEL (Lea Michele) and FINN’s (Cory Monteith) budding romance hits a bump in the road after she becomes involved with a competitor, JESSE ST. JAMES (guest star Jonathan Groff), it threatens to derail the entire club. MR. SCHUESTER (Matthew Morrison) pays a visit to SHELBY CORCORAN (guest star Idina Menzel), coach of Vocal Adrenaline, to confirm Jesse’s motives. Meanwhile, Will is newly single, but is he ready to take his relationship with EMMA (Jayma Mays) to the next level? And to top it all off, Sue returns from her condo in Boca with a renewed focus on destroying Will and disbanding the glee club.

In the “Power of Madonna” episode, airing Tuesday, April 20 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT), Mr. Schuester is concerned that the girls in the glee club are being disrespected and bullied by the male members. Looking to Madonna and her musical message of equality as inspiration, he challenges the entire team to choose Madonna songs as their next assignment in the hopes that the girls embrace Madonna’s strength, independence and confidence so that the guys will see the errors of their misogynistic ways. The glee club takes the assignment to heart and performs some of the Material Girl’s greatest hits, including “Express Yourself” and “Like a Prayer.” Meanwhile, Kurt and Mercedes give Sue a vote of confidence with a Madonna makeover that is definitely in “Vogue.”

Television’s most award-winning new series, GLEE was recently honored with a Peabody Award; a Golden Globe for Best Television Series, Comedy or Musical; a Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series; and a People’s Choice Award for Favorite New TV Comedy. The music from GLEE is an international sensation with “Glee: The Music, Volume 1” and “Glee: The Music, Volume 2” topping charts in Australia, the U.K., New Zealand, Ireland and Canada. In the U.S., over 4.5 million songs have been downloaded, and both albums have been certified Gold for sales in excess of 500,000 units.

GLEE follows an optimistic teacher who – against all odds and a malicious cheerleading coach – inspires McKinley High’s Glee Club to conquer the world one singing competition at a time. GLEE stars Dianna Agron, Chris Colfer, Jessalyn Gilsig, Jane Lynch, Jayma Mays, Kevin McHale, Lea Michele, Cory Monteith, Matthew Morrison, Amber Riley, Mark Salling and Jenna Ushkowitz.

GLEE is produced by Ryan Murphy Television in association with 20th Century Fox Television. Ryan Murphy, Brad Falchuk and Ian Brennan are co-creators of the series. Murphy, Falchuk and Dante Di Loreto serve as executive producers, while Ian Brennan serves as co-executive producer.

^No- just uninformed. :)

I like this whole project, because it *Is* giving her exposure to a younger crowd. It's one thing to use someone's song in the episode, but to have the whole dang episode centered on one act- and to have that act's name in the title and actually be referenced numerous times throughout the episode- great coup.

Guest nothingfails0603

Sadly more and more teens are ignorant and oblivious to Madonna's achievements. One of the reasons I got tired of UKMix was that it had become overrun with ignorant tweens who swear up and down that Ke$ha is more talented than "Grandma" and other insane BS.

Hopefully Glee could help change her standing with them a bit because besides gay men, it's huge with teens and maybe next week will show them that she's more than just some old woman (what is their fucking fixation on her age, 51 IS NOT THAT OLD. Tina is 70 for fucks sake) who sang a song with Justin Timberlake.

Hopefully Glee could help change her standing with them a bit because besides gay men, it's huge with teens and maybe next week will show them that she's more than just some old woman (what is their fucking fixation on her age, 51 IS NOT THAT OLD. Tina is 70 for fucks sake) who sang a song with Justin Timberlake.

MTV and VH1 are to blame also. I believe thats one reason Madonna was able to attract new generations of fans for years. The fact that MTV and VH1 would air Madonna specials and her videos all the time, along with her classics being featured in the Top 100 Videos of All Time countdowns they used to do. Now of course they dont do that at all and have not done so in a good 7 years if not more. I have even noticed since we hit 2010 I hardly hear as many of her older hits on the radio like I used to. 103.5 used to play an old Madonna song every hour it seemed like. Now I hardly hear her old hits at all. Most radio formats at least around me seemed to have switched to strict top 40 and nothing else.

Its not just Madonna though. I am sure to many tweens the image of Britney dancing around in a school girl outfit is ancient history to them also if they are even aware of that ever happening. I am telling you its amazing how many of them have no clue what happened 5 seconds ago let alone a decade ago. Their mind is too focused on texting and shit to know what the fuck is going on. :lol:

^No- just uninformed. :)

I like this whole project, because it *Is* giving her exposure to a younger crowd. It's one thing to use someone's song in the episode, but to have the whole dang episode centered on one act- and to have that act's name in the title and actually be referenced numerous times throughout the episode- great coup.

I should also add that maybe this is good that Warner will probably lend Madonna's music to tons of shit at this point for the simple fact that it might click with someone. This is one of the reasons one of my parents can turn on the 50s station and I being born in 82 know evey damn song. Because I grew up watching movies and TV shows with these songs featured in them through the years. So for that reason alone, I hope they continue to whore Madonna's music out.

Its not just Madonna though. I am sure to many tweens the image of Britney dancing around in a school girl outfit is ancient history to them also if they are even aware of that ever happening. I am telling you its amazing how many of them have no clue what happened 5 seconds ago let alone a decade ago. Their mind is too focused on texting and shit to know what the fuck is going on. :lol:

They are stupid!

Guest nothingfails0603

MTV and VH1 are to blame also. I believe thats one reason Madonna was able to attract new generations of fans for years. The fact that MTV and VH1 would air Madonna specials and her videos all the time, along with her classics being featured in the Top 100 Videos of All Time countdowns they used to do. Now of course they dont do that at all and have not done so in a good 7 years if not more. I have even noticed since we hit 2010 I hardly hear as many of her older hits on the radio like I used to. 103.5 used to play an old Madonna song every hour it seemed like. Now I hardly hear her old hits at all. Most radio formats at least around me seemed to have switched to strict top 40 and nothing else.

Yea, it's really pathetic that all their hatred to Madonna seems to boil down to her age. You can't hear someone attack Madonna without her age. The best are when they're fans of people like Whitney, Janet and Mariah. It's like a Babs or Cher fan talking about how old Tina Turner is. Whitney, Janet and Mariah are also seen as "old" to 12 year olds also and radio won't touch them either for the same reasons so its hilarious when one of their fans attacks Madonna for her age. But I still fail to see what is so fucking old about Madge. 51 isn't exactly a teenager but considering we're in an environment where many artists are still touring and recording well into their 50's and 60's and even some now in their 70's, I don't see why Madonna is singled out as this grandma. She's the same age as Prince and Kate Bush, and also if MJ was alive he'd been 51 too.

It's these stupid immature 12 year olds who are so fixated on age why so many great older acts can't get airplay because some Justin Bieber/Miley Cyrus fan might feel offended. Well fuck them, make them deal with the fact that there was a world that existed before 2006.

Madonna has reportedly never heard of Glee.

The show has produced an episode based on Madonna's songs and the cast are planning to release an EP of their cover versions.

However, a source told Popeater that Madonna refused an opportunity to appear on the programme.

"Madonna doesn't have a TV and has no idea what Glee is," the insider said. "The show did ask her if she wanted to make an appearance in the much-hyped Madonna episode.

"She said, 'No thanks', and to be honest she would rather they sing an Elton John song than butcher one of hers."

Sue Sylvester, played by Jane Lynch, plays homage to to Madonna's 'Vogue' in a clip which premiered last night.

Why did she let them use her music then???

Source Digital Spy.

Madonna has reportedly never heard of Glee.

The show has produced an episode based on Madonna's songs and the cast are planning to release an EP of their cover versions.

However, a source told Popeater that Madonna refused an opportunity to appear on the programme.

"Madonna doesn't have a TV and has no idea what Glee is," the insider said. "The show did ask her if she wanted to make an appearance in the much-hyped Madonna episode.

"She said, 'No thanks', and to be honest she would rather they sing an Elton John song than butcher one of hers."

Sue Sylvester, played by Jane Lynch, plays homage to to Madonna's 'Vogue' in a clip which premiered last night.

Why did she let them use her music then???

Source Digital Spy.

Obviously false. :lmao:

I love the video, altho she sounds stern and cold. I see they editted out the more controversial parts. Why isn't this released as a single yet?

This is very true. I'm 22 and the main reason I am a Madonna fan today is because I saw an MTV special hosted by Kurt Loder when "Frozen" came out where they aired all of her videos as well as interview clips. Nothing like that is shown these days.

Another FOX press release:

HOT FROM FOX…Wednesday, April 14, 2010

“GLEE” DEVOTES AN ENTIRE HOUR TO “THE POWER OF MADONNA”

TUESDAY, APRIL 20, ON FOX

GLEE pays homage to Madonna and the power of her music with a full episode devoted to one of the most revered and iconic musicians of this generation. The sure-to-be-fan-favorite installment of television’s most-loved new series will air in its regular time period Tuesday, April 20 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX.

In “The Power of Madonna” episode, MR. SCHUESTER (Matthew Morrison) is concerned that the girls in the glee club are being disrespected and bullied by the male members. Looking to Madonna and her musical message of equality as inspiration, he challenges the entire team to choose Madonna songs as their next assignment in the hopes that the girls embrace Madonna’s strength, independence and confidence so that the guys will see the errors of their misogynistic ways. The glee club takes the assignment to heart and performs some of Madonna’s greatest hits, including “Express Yourself” and “Like a Prayer.” Meanwhile, KURT (Chris Colfer) and MERCEDES (Amber Riley) give SUE (Jane Lynch) a vote of confidence with a Madonna makeover that is definitely in “Vogue.”

Madonna commenting on the episode said, “I think Mr. Schuester is very cute, and I’m glad he’s doing such a good job empowering all the girls.”

“This episode is our love letter to Madonna, an artist who has inspired me all my life. The hardest part was having to choose which songs to include from her incredible catalogue, as there were so many we wanted to do,” said GLEE executive producer and co-creator Ryan Murphy. “We send her our thanks for her generosity with her music.”

If you missed last night's Chevy-sponsored world premiere of Sue Sylvester’s version of “Vogue,” which will appear as part of the Madonna-themed episode, watch it now at hulu.com <http://hulu.com> and fox.com <http://www.fox.com> . GLEE’s “Vogue” features Sue, Kurt and Mercedes in an homage to Madonna with a brilliant re-creation of the groundbreaking music video.

The soundtrack from “The Power of Madonna” episode will be available in stores the same day it airs, Tuesday, April 20. The album features GLEE’s distinctive and unique take on such classics as “Like A Virgin,” “Express Yourself,” “Vogue,” “4 Minutes” and more.

Last night’s spring premiere of GLEE posted a 5.6/15 rating among Adults 18-49 and achieved its highest-rated telecast to date among all key demos. GLEE is the No. 1 new series of the season among Adults 18-34, and last night’s telecast was the highest rated of any new scripted show this season among Adults 18-49.

Television’s most award-winning new series, GLEE was recently honored with a Peabody Award; a Golden Globe for Best Television Series, Comedy or Musical; a Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series; and a People’s Choice Award for Favorite New TV Comedy. The music from GLEE is an international sensation with “Glee: The Music, Volume 1” and “Glee: The Music, Volume 2” topping charts in Australia , the U.K. , New Zealand , Ireland and Canada . In the U.S. , over 4.5 million songs have been downloaded, and both albums have been certified Gold for sales in excess of 500,000 units.

GLEE follows an optimistic teacher who – against all odds and a malicious cheerleading coach – inspires McKinley High’s Glee Club to conquer the world one singing competition at a time. GLEE stars Dianna Agron, Chris Colfer, Jessalyn Gilsig, Jane Lynch, Jayma Mays, Kevin McHale, Lea Michele, Cory Monteith, Matthew Morrison, Amber Riley, Mark Salling and Jenna Ushkowitz.

GLEE is produced by Ryan Murphy Television in association with 20th Century Fox Television. Ryan Murphy, Brad Falchuk and Ian Brennan are co-creators of the series. Murphy, Falchuk and Dante Di Loreto serve as executive producers, while Ian Brennan serves as co-executive producer.

Another FOX press release:

HOT FROM FOX…Wednesday, April 14, 2010

“GLEE” DEVOTES AN ENTIRE HOUR TO “THE POWER OF MADONNA”

TUESDAY, APRIL 20, ON FOX

GLEE pays homage to Madonna and the power of her music with a full episode devoted to one of the most revered and iconic musicians of this generation. The sure-to-be-fan-favorite installment of television’s most-loved new series will air in its regular time period Tuesday, April 20 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX.

In “The Power of Madonna” episode, MR. SCHUESTER (Matthew Morrison) is concerned that the girls in the glee club are being disrespected and bullied by the male members. Looking to Madonna and her musical message of equality as inspiration, he challenges the entire team to choose Madonna songs as their next assignment in the hopes that the girls embrace Madonna’s strength, independence and confidence so that the guys will see the errors of their misogynistic ways. The glee club takes the assignment to heart and performs some of Madonna’s greatest hits, including “Express Yourself” and “Like a Prayer.” Meanwhile, KURT (Chris Colfer) and MERCEDES (Amber Riley) give SUE (Jane Lynch) a vote of confidence with a Madonna makeover that is definitely in “Vogue.”

Madonna commenting on the episode said, “I think Mr. Schuester is very cute, and I’m glad he’s doing such a good job empowering all the girls.”

“This episode is our love letter to Madonna, an artist who has inspired me all my life. The hardest part was having to choose which songs to include from her incredible catalogue, as there were so many we wanted to do,” said GLEE executive producer and co-creator Ryan Murphy. “We send her our thanks for her generosity with her music.”

If you missed last night's Chevy-sponsored world premiere of Sue Sylvester’s version of “Vogue,” which will appear as part of the Madonna-themed episode, watch it now at hulu.com <http://hulu.com> and fox.com <http://www.fox.com> . GLEE’s “Vogue” features Sue, Kurt and Mercedes in an homage to Madonna with a brilliant re-creation of the groundbreaking music video.

The soundtrack from “The Power of Madonna” episode will be available in stores the same day it airs, Tuesday, April 20. The album features GLEE’s distinctive and unique take on such classics as “Like A Virgin,” “Express Yourself,” “Vogue,” “4 Minutes” and more.

Last night’s spring premiere of GLEE posted a 5.6/15 rating among Adults 18-49 and achieved its highest-rated telecast to date among all key demos. GLEE is the No. 1 new series of the season among Adults 18-34, and last night’s telecast was the highest rated of any new scripted show this season among Adults 18-49.

Television’s most award-winning new series, GLEE was recently honored with a Peabody Award; a Golden Globe for Best Television Series, Comedy or Musical; a Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series; and a People’s Choice Award for Favorite New TV Comedy. The music from GLEE is an international sensation with “Glee: The Music, Volume 1” and “Glee: The Music, Volume 2” topping charts in Australia , the U.K. , New Zealand , Ireland and Canada . In the U.S. , over 4.5 million songs have been downloaded, and both albums have been certified Gold for sales in excess of 500,000 units.

:wow:

Obviously false. :lmao:

I love the video, altho she sounds stern and cold. I see they editted out the more controversial parts. Why isn't this released as a single yet?

I agree the above article is false. She may have not really heard of the show or seen it... I believe that, but I don't believe she would give her blessing to use her music, only to turn around to say those things about them "butchering" her songs.

And while the Vogue video from Glee is hilarious, as a "single"... I don't think so. It's pretty bad.

Guest jamesshot

There is ZERO chance Madonna said she "would rather they sing an Elton John song than butcher one of hers." What all out bullshit.

But I wonder if she said "Mr. Shuester was cute" as the FOX press release said. That is odd.

This episode is shaping up to be one of the most postive events to come Madonna's way in a long long time. From what I have seen, the way the eppy is written puts her in one of the most postive lights I have ever seen. On top of that, this comes as the show is ascending rapidly in popularity and public awareness. And it is very popular among younger but not too young audiences who need to be reminded just how special Madonna really is. At the same time, older viewers will be reminded of her "power". It is the perfect storm of positivity for her. The buzz surrounding this is deafening. YAY for Madonna!