"Glee": The Power of Madonna (All-Madonna Episode)

thebigham

from tribe

Playbill.com reprises our article about the songs that will be featured on Glee in the all Madonna episode that will be airing soon on Fox.

We also take this opportunity to add a little update to the list we reported: Borderline and Open Your Heart are actually mixed into one song as sort of a medley while all the other songs are performed in full or in an edit version. All songs' arrangements are inspired by the album original versions of the songs except for Express Yourself, inspired by the famous "Video Version" and Crazy For You which is presented as an exclusive acoustic guitar version.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a quote from Ryan Murphy, regarding the Madonna episode, taken from a longer article (which can be found here)....

"It’s big... huge. We’re shooting it now. It's got like 10 numbers in it, and the production value is very big. We adore her and worship her, so when I'm directing, I'm always like, 'Do it for Madonna.'" (Ed. note: Murphy wouldn’t say which Madge tune Jane Lynch's Sue would be doing, but I can confirm that it's "Vogue.")

Guest nothingfails0603

Surprised it's already been filmed, if it's not returning for three months. Unless someone got a hold of the script.

Glee has an odd production schedule. All 13 episodes that made up the first half of the season was already in the can before the season began, which was why they were able to get the DVD out just three weeks after the winter finale when most shows need 2-3 months minimum after the last episode airs. They started filming the last nine a few weeks ago.

Guest Coked Up Baby Boy

This will be very cool.

And even though i don't watch the show properly [i catch bits of it while at the gym], i do think it's decent.

I will say this though, if one more poof tells me how much i need to see it, i'm gonna punch him in the tits.

* The upcoming Madonna episode deserves to be called very special. Its big… huge. Were shooting it now. Its got like 10 numbers in it, and the production value is very big. We adore her and worship her, so when Im directing, Im always like, Do it for Madonna. (Ed. note: Murphy wouldnt say which Madge tune Jane Lynchs Sue would be doing, but I can confirm that its Vogue.)

http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2010/01/18/exclusive-glee-spoilers-rachel-puck/

The MadonnaTribe News team has just heard some fantastic news about the upcoming all-Madonna episode on GLEE.

The songs that will be featured on the show include:

Borderline

Open Your Heart

Burning Up

4 Minutes

Crazy For You

Like A Virgin

Like A Prayer

What It Feels Like For A Girl

Vogue

Express Yourself

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiR4NEhMg1U

But here, Lea Michele confirms that there will be an 'incredible' version of Ray of Light.

Also, she says she will sing Borderline.

• 4 weeks later...

It's cool that Madonna is going to be referenced in the episode, and not just that her songs are being used. Does the show usually mention the acts? Maybe because it's *all* Madonna and the episode supposedly is called "The Power of Madonna," that's why.

This episode could expose/re-expose 51-year-old Madge to the youth audience.

^ So excited about "Express Yourself" being performed. (The stilts are a little wtf?!, but that's probably the point, given the verbal lashing Sue is about to unleash on the Cheerios...)

I don't know how I feel about Sue in the cone bra, but I'll reserve judgment. I'm really looking forward to this more than ever now.

I cannot wait and i am glad that they are using recent songs like 4 Minutes and not just 2 decade old songs and very surprise to see the low key WIFLFAG in there :D

• 4 weeks later...

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtracker/2010/03/how-madonnas-music-wound-up-on-glee.html

If you're wondering how Madonna's music wound up on "Glee," you can thank wedding planner Shira Citron and her Gleek love.

Citron's stepmother, Liz Rosenberg, is Madonna's publicist. Since "Glee" premiered last fall, all Rosenberg has heard is "Glee" this and "Glee" that from her stepdaughter, whom she describes as "in her 30s but still a teenager."

One night, Rosenberg, Madonna and her manager, Guy Oseary, went out for a business dinner. Oseary mentioned that "Glee" had called, wanting to use the singer's music for an entire episode.

Rosenberg thought of Citron and started pleading. "I begged Madonna to allow them to use her music because my stepdaughter would never forgive me if I didn't get Madonna to OK the usage of the songs.... I couldn't stop my spiel about how amazing this show was."

As soon as Madonna agreed, Rosenberg said she ran to the bathroom and called Citron.

"You are so gonna love me," she recalls saying to her stepdaughter.

Citron and the whole Gleek universe!

Sadly, Rosenberg said Madonna isn't doing any interviews about "Glee" but noted that it doesn't hurt that the DVD of her "Sticky and Sweet Tour" will be released on April 6, just two weeks before the big episode airs.

-- Maria Elena Fernandez (follow me on Twitter @writerchica)

Video: "Glee" trailer for the Madonna episode, which airs April 20. Credit: Fox

Guest jamesshot

Fuck "SST" DVD. Push Celebration.

I don't want people judging Madonna on that pitiful excuse that has become the SST DVD. I will not show my friends that concert the way they fucked with it. The unnecessary tweaking is bad enough but when they should tweak they came up with crappy vocals to substitute.

Guest Pud Whacker

Fuck "SST" DVD. Push Celebration.

I don't want people judging Madonna on that pitiful excuse that has become the SST DVD. I will not show my friends that concert the way they fucked with it. The unnecessary tweaking is bad enough but when they should tweak they came up with crappy vocals to substitute.

may i ask you a serious question? what and why do you want it pushed for? did it not make it to your town?

Guest jamesshot

may i ask you a serious question? what and why do you want it pushed for? did it not make it to your town?

I just think they really missed the boat pushing this. When I play it for friends, I always hear them remark how awesome her music really is, how they forgot how much they loved her music. Several times I have been asked to provide other CD's or concert DVD's for them because they get interested in her again by listening to 'Celebration'. These are almost all casual fans. At least 9 people I know have gone out to buy it after I let them listen to it. Some did burn it of course but it was the exception. Many, dare I say most didn't even know it was out. They say they have never seen it in stores and when I have been in those stores it is hard to find.

Was that an adequate answer Puddy honey? :)

Guest Pud Whacker

I just think they really missed the boat pushing this. When I play it for friends, I always hear them remark how awesome her music really is, how they forgot how much they loved her music. Several times I have been asked to provide other CD's or concert DVD's for them because they get interested in her again by listening to 'Celebration'. These are almost all casual fans. At least 9 people I know have gone out to buy it after I let them listen to it. Some did burn it of course but it was the exception. Many, dare I say most didn't even know it was out. They say they have never seen it in stores and when I have been in those stores it is hard to find.

Was that an adequate answer Puddy honey? :)

yeah, that explained your need for a push for sure. however, i would be in the same group as your friends as far as any other artist is concerned. really aside from this madonna board, i have no idea what movie is being released this friday or what albums are being released on tuesday. im here and i still dont know. i learned about twilight about 9 months after the fact when someone had a sig that looked madonna in the whos that girl video and i still havent seen it. :lol:

i dont know if promotion would make stores stock up. i would ask these stores why they dont have a major artists new cd? where do you live? i mean even in third world countries you can walk down the unpaved street and a peddler is selling bootlegs of celebration and twilight. :rotfl:

Guest jamesshot

yeah, that explained your need for a push for sure. however, i would be in the same group as your friends as far as any other artist is concerned. really aside from this madonna board, i have no idea what movie is being released this friday or what albums are being released on tuesday. im here and i still dont know. i learned about twilight about 9 months after the fact when someone had a sig that looked madonna in the whos that girl video and i still havent seen it. :lol:

i dont know if promotion would make stores stock up. i would ask these stores why they dont have a major artists new cd? where do you live? i mean even in third world countries you can walk down the unpaved street and a peddler is selling bootlegs of celebration and twilight. :rotfl:

They have them just not a lot of them and definitely not very visable. But when I walk down the aisle it seems every new release or major artists last CD is very visable. Everywhere I go, for Madonna, I see an odd mix of Ray Of Light, maybe an IC and something like You Can Dance.

Guest Pud Whacker

They have them just not a lot of them and definitely not very visable. But when I walk down the aisle it seems every new release or major artists last CD is very visable. Everywhere I go, for Madonna, I see an odd mix of Ray Of Light, maybe an IC and something like You Can Dance.

i can only speak about los angeles and celebration was everywhere. warner brothers the entire side of the building was promoting it so people on the freeway would see it. huge billboards, everything. bills all about town. i dont know. madonnatribe had pictures of major cities from tokyo to berlin to paris to los angeles with bills on huge buildings or in subways lining up the walls. i think everyone thinks where they are at is whats going on everywhere. evidently, its not. xo

Guest jamesshot

i can only speak about los angeles and celebration was everywhere. warner brothers the entire side of the building was promoting it so people on the freeway would see it. huge billboards, everything. bills all about town. i dont know. madonnatribe had pictures of major cities from tokyo to berlin to paris to los angeles with bills on huge buildings or in subways lining up the walls. i think everyone thinks where they are at is whats going on everywhere. evidently, its not. xo

Well a billboard doesn't drum up a ton of excitement. And that is what people have to do to sell- drum up excitement. It isn't enough to have promotion. You have to get people talking about your project, get em- drum roll- excited. 'Celebration' just kinda laid there like a Tiffany GH would.

Anyway, Glee should provide some renewed interest.