"Celebration" DVD Discussion

HolidayGuy

It's not that anyone expected "Celebration" to be a work of video art, or that every video had to measure up to her best; nor that Madge was "lazy"- she obviously isn't. But in terms of videomaking, the string of non-stellar clips does indicate that she is not as invested in making grand videos for her singles. Why thatis, who knows. Will ti change with the next album? Hopefully.

Guest nothingfails0603

the fact her videos have had down a downturn in quality is a huge reason to hate MTV/VH1 for favoring reality crap that had five second staying power. Imagine if MTV still cared about music, Madonna might still be giving us videos like LAP and Express Yourself.

^Possibly- but, there now there are outlets like YouTube and such, that generate millions of views- so we can't use that as an excuse for her. She herself said yeas ago that she was tired of making videos.

The only thing that would have made this set perfection for me, would have been the inclusion of the tour videos, a few of which are MASTERPIECES. At some point WB, Live Nation, or whoever, should release them as a stand alone collection.

Guest nothingfails0603

I guess HG is right. I think Madonna's heart just isn't into making videos anymore. Lack of video interest hasn't stopped Beyonce and Lady GaGa for making memorable videos of late. Hell, GaGa's Paparazzi video even boasts a big budget and everything. Of course, neither of those artists have been making videos since 1982 so it's probably more exciting for them while Madonna's made more than sixty of them at this point.

The only thing that would have made this set perfection for me, would have been the inclusion of the tour videos, a few of which are MASTERPIECES. At some point WB, Live Nation, or whoever, should release them as a stand alone collection.

Yeah!

I think it should have been a 10 DVD set with every single one of her music videos and concerts including the backdrops plus hours of never-before-seen behind the scenes footage and all the interviews & TV appearances she ever did + videos of her with Emmy and The Breakfast Club and all her movies and documentaries and for special features there should be audio tracks of all her songs including b sides and demos and previously unreleased tracks & maybe a little picture gallery of every picture that has ever been taken of Madonna also she should have written an epic poem for her fans. All this in 3D, crystal clearer than ever before. Otherwise what's the point of making a compilation. My life sucks, what am I even a fan for. :(:thumbsdown:

Yeah!

I think it should have been a 10 DVD set with every single one of her music videos and concerts including the backdrops plus hours of never-before-seen behind the scenes footage and all the interviews & TV appearances she ever did + videos of her with Emmy and The Breakfast Club and all her movies and documentaries and for special features there should be audio tracks of all her songs including b sides and demos and previously unreleased tracks & maybe a little picture gallery of every picture that has ever been taken of Madonna also she should have written an epic poem for her fans. All this in 3D, crystal clearer than ever before. Otherwise what's the point of making a compilation. My life sucks, what am I even a fan for. :(:thumbsdown:

But just to be a bitch, they would exclude RIT!

• 3 weeks later...

Finally bought this today. Picked up the digipack. Packaging inside better than expected as the outside isn't too hot. Able to resize the videos on my mac as otherwise the standard picture size is irritating.

Some of the videos are grainy but £12.99 for 47 vids is pretty good value. Its sales worldwide have demonstrated it wasn't worth a massive production spend.

The tour video projections should have been extras...

That would be so cool. I often find myself liking the tour videos more than any single videos.

The picture isn't grainy. Most of the videos were shot on FILM. The quality of the entire set is gorgeous.

I watched it on my TV and it was GORGEOUS! So I had no complaints. I took it to my friend's house and watched it on his TV and it was grainy. Perhaps the quality depends on the player??

No, the quality is gorgeous on my flat panel. Are you viewing it on a crap tv?

No. I just watched the DVD twice on my 42" LG Scarlet and the quality is awful. Even on my computer I can point out all the pixels, seems like the videos were taken from YouTube.

Maybe depends on the player.

Guest nothingfails0603

I think people are setting too high of standards. These are largely videos made 15-20+ years ago. Compare them for what they are and for other video collections of artists from the same time (if you put a MJ video collection or Cyndi Lauper or someone like that, you'll notice there really isn't a different in picture quality) and not current stuff that was shot on HD and the like. Music videos from 1984 are only going to look so good.

Guest nothingfails0603

The picture isn't grainy. Most of the videos were shot on FILM. The quality of the entire set is gorgeous.

I think so too, I agree it isn't the greatest looking DVD of all time but nothing looks worse than it would on VH1 Classic.

Admittedly I have a lot of video collections from artists that date back even further than Madonna, and to be honest, Celebration doesn't really look that bad for a video collection. Put MJ's HIStory On Film or Cyndi Lauper's Twelve Deadly Cyns or Eurythmics' Greatest Hits DVD on to compare with Celebration and you'll notice that their videos don't look any better or worse than Madonna's videos from the same periods. I remember with my own eyes seeing Like A Prayer and Express Yourself as brand new videos, now they're 20 years old and 20 year old film sometimes grains a bit. But like I said, nothing looks worse than it would on VH1 Classic, did you see how old Beat It and Thriller looked when MTV was playing MJ's videos in tribute? You can tell Beat It and Thriller are videos from 1983 on the HIStory video collection but yet they still looked better and had a bit less grain than the MTV versions, but grain still exists on the prints because of their age and being shot at night.

The major problems were with European playback. With North America, it could depend on the player.

I viewed it on a Blu-Ray player and everything looked very nice. As noted, the first couple of videos have a slight grainy look to them (as they are the oldest), but otherwise, no major problem.

Guest nothingfails0603

The major problems were with European playback. With North America, it could depend on the player.

makes sense, PAL playback is known to be richer in quality.