"Celebration" DVD Discussion

HolidayGuy

I mentioned this in the other thread but those ad slicks for the soundtrack songs are really irritating. 93:99 has the best quality picture wise and I wished whoever worked on that impecable set would work on this one. But quality issues aside, it's nice to have a somewhat complete set of videos on one package. I'm glad Bad Girl and Drowned World wasnt harmed in the making of the Celebration DVD.

Guest Danny86

The ICON version is awful, the regular version should've been included instead.

While it's weird because before the DVD came out I watched the ICON version like twice in total but the "original" video was on tv a lot, so I'm not used to it at all, but I do think the ICON version fits the song better with its "space-y" images and all.

I'm pretty finicky when it comes to picture quality on DVDs, and I have no issues with Celebration. Yes, there are a few brief moments where the clips show their age, but nothing horrible and nothing that I wouldn't expect from 25 year old music videos shot on videotape. Either way, they look better than I've ever seen them, and for that I am very happy.

:thumbsup:

SuperN, I was talking about the run of videos from "Hung Up"-on. Some just end with her on the floor, like exhaustion after the dancing. "Burning Up" did have her on the floor (down on her knees, if you will), and it worked for that- especially since she ended up in the driver's seat at the end of the clip. :) I was just pointing out the on-the-floor thing as more evidence of her growing disinterest in videomaking.

Guest Not4Pussies

SuperN, I was talking about the run of videos from "Hung Up"-on. Some just end with her on the floor, like exhaustion after the dancing. "Burning Up" did have her on the floor (down on her knees, if you will), and it worked for that- especially since she ended up in the driver's seat at the end of the clip. :) I was just pointing out the on-the-floor thing as more evidence of her growing disinterest in videomaking.

she's been on the floor since Die Another Day

I think when directors have a slew of clips to chose from to end a video on, the laying on the floor thing is just an easy way to go (a way to say "I'm done")in a plotless music video.

I don't think she'll ever put effort on videos again. i feel like the only thing she cares about is the live concert. and fyi, she definitely needs an atlas for next tour, just in case she forgets where Brazil is.

so sad what her videos have become

And What Have They Become? :think:

Even Her "laziest efforts" make Great Videos.

VIDEOS IN WHICH MADONNA DOESN'T REALLY DO ANYTHING

-Burning Up

-Borderline

-Like a Virgin

-Live to Tell

-True Blue

-Who's That Girl

-Cherish

-Dear Jessie

-FEVER

-Rain

-I'll Remember

-Deeper & Deeper

-Secret

-Love Don't Live Here Anymore

-You Must Love Me

-American Pie

-Music

-American Life (Flag Version)

-Love Profusion

-Hollywood

-Jump

-Give It 2 Me

-Celebration

Must She Always BURST into Choreography ala Mike Jackson? :confessions:

Well, at least "Deeper & Deeper" had other characters and a story line. I am really tired of these "I am going to dance in front of a wall" videos. At least do what Luc Besson did for "Love Profusion" and make it a blue-screen situation and fill in the space with somewhat interesting details.

Well, at least "Deeper & Deeper" had other characters and a story line. I am really tired of these "I am going to dance in front of a wall" videos. At least do what Luc Besson did for "Love Profusion" and make it a blue-screen situation and fill in the space with somewhat interesting details.

If "Give It 2 Me" was Filmed On Location at an Aquarium

with Mermaid Backup Dancers, would It make any difference?

Not Every Video NEEDS A Storyline.

:think:

And some of those videos where she didn't "really do anything" had plots and themes (ie.e. "Borderline," "Like a Virgin," etc.) or were visually stunning ("Rain") The "Celebration" video is a big piece of throwaway. That kind of video would have been fine for the early days, but now, it just makes her disinterest even more apparent. Not that she has to have a tour-de-force video every time out, but this run of less-than-thrilling clips is so un-Madonna.

But "Celebration" Is About Celebrating,

And The "ThrowAway Video" matches the song.

She Shouldn't have to Re-Create a "Bad Girl" Mini Movie

every single time. And Her "Disintrest" doesnt really concern me.

She Still Makes Fun Videos.. But Eh... What Do I Know?

Animated Gif Time:

331klzs.gif331klzs.gif331klzs.gif

:wow:

I guess some of us Madonna fans miss the early Madonna, who used the music video as her complementary outlet for artistic expression. I'd like to think that she's already made every type of music video possible; turn on any and I'm sure we can reference a previous Madonna video that did it first. Madonna's just lost interest in this medium cos not very many people pay attention to music videos anymore (I know this 80s kid certainly doesn't). And she's done so many as well...Touring is where she now does her best work, and rightfully so--a great ticket to a show costs the retail equivalent of 35 CDs/350 mp3s or more, while 3 great videos/songs over 9 months MAY just get the general public to buy one artist's album. If anything, the album/music video is just an excuse for Madonna to tour again--quality control could be slipping as Madonna becomes even less involved in the making of music...

Anyway, I miss video Madonna, but I absolutely love seeing her up close... I just hope that she won't tour again until late 2011, so that her fans can put away more money for more shows this time round (once every 3-4 years is fine, but please, not every two years, please...)

Guest bluejean

- Noone expected a video for Celebration, everyone said it was most likely going to be a montage.

- It was done on a day off during touring.

Why does everyone keep forgetting these 2 factors?

- Noone expected a video for Celebration, everyone said it was most likely going to be a montage.

Because it supports their theory that Madonna just doesn't care about making EPIC videos anymore....and that she's lazy and uninspired. :snore:

Nevermind the fact that her tour music videos continue to be some of the most artful of her entire career.

Because it supports their theory that Madonna just doesn't care about making EPIC videos anymore....and that she's lazy and uninspired. :snore:

Nevermind the fact that her tour music videos continue to be some of the most artful of her entire career.

Yeah! They are so beautiful and artistic.

Also lazy Madonna lol hilarous, that's the ultimate oxymoron. Also I heard a couple "fans" say that they thought S&S looked like it was just thrown together. Anyone who says that is obviously severely visually impaired or mentally ill. S&S was probably her most energetic tour since BA or GS, and all the choreography and hours upon hours that went into that tour... well, I'd like to see them "throw together" something like S&S.

If "Give It 2 Me" was Filmed On Location at an Aquarium

with Mermaid Backup Dancers, would It make any difference?

Yeah, it would: I would probably REMEMBER it. When I think of "Give It 2 Me" the only thing that comes to mind is that she wears black underwear in it and that's it.

Not Every Video NEEDS A Storyline.

:think:

Did I say every video should be "Bad Girl"? No. I said I was tired of the direction she'd been taking lately. One must understand that she attained a level of true greatness in video making and to go back down to the levels of a common pop star is nothing less than disappointing. If a champion NASCAR driver started showing up to a race driving a regular ol' Toyota Tercel, I think their fans would be let down too.

Madonna's gotten really lazy with her videos in the last 5-6 years. She's no longer a video pioneer. How can you even begin to equate excellent videos like LAP, EY, Erotica, Frozen with shitty videos like HU, Sorry, Get Together, Love Profusion, Celebration, Miles Away??

and the video is great at representing the song which is utter SHIT

Madonna's gotten really lazy with her videos in the last 5-6 years. She's no longer a video pioneer. How can you even begin to equate excellent videos like LAP, EY, Erotica, Frozen with shitty videos like HU, Sorry, Get Together, Love Profusion, Celebration, Miles Away??

I agree. Everyone gets so defensive when they hear that M no longer makes good videos. But frankly, it's true. Exactly like you said, she's no longer a video pioneer. There is nothing that seperates her videos from everything else out there. No edge.

A low budget had nothing to do with the quality of her videos. She could spend 5 million on a video if she felt like it, so put that dumb idea to rest. Creativity has nothing to do with budgets. Like I said, tour videos are where she seems to put her creativity to work these days. To me, hung up was her last true iconic video, but I also loved give it 2 me. Celebration is something she did in a day, while on a massive world tour. Did people really expect her to go all out, over an essentially throw away track?? :wacko:

The days of massive videos are over, and spending millions on a video destined for youtube is just a waste of time, and money. I don't blame her for saving her art for the tours.

I keep reading issues with the idea she no longer has interest in making videos or creative videos. Personally, I don't think it's a big deal. I think she knows that videos aren't a huge deal as when she first started. It's true. She really doesn't have a popular outlet anymore that will feature her videos. MTV and VH1 won't play them. And I know there is the internet, but these days why spend money on the production on a video when she can take that money and put it into a great tour and create great backdrops and videos for that. My only wish with that is that we'd get those videos as well. But I honestly do not think some people are being fair here because I don't see the point of putting much effort in what I see is a dying art... which is videos.

As for the DVD. I have no complaints. It's more than I ever expected after all these years thinking some of these videos were never going to get a proper DVD release. We have the majority of her videos in one swoop. And as HG pointed out, the videos that we didn't get are available on DVD on other projects of hers.