Madonna's relevancy

Kurt420

:rotfl: Come on, the message should be clear now. It only matters if an artist is selling out venues and scoring #1 hits if she's PERSONALLY loved by said poster.

And you just know the same people would say Madonna was not relevant in 1994-1995 either, even though she scored her longest running #1 and her album sales improved from the previous (which never happened for certain not-so-relevant artists). Or is that not true? Some say laying down vocals to record a Bjork-imitation track was one of the most original things she's ever done, so you can't tell...

That sounds like mixing up your own taste, commercial success and critics' opinion. While HC didn't sell bucketloads in the US, I think at this point narrowing it down to that (and to critics who could not go further than "Madonna relinquished control") is not fair, considering there are albums by established and young artists struggling to outsell HC these days. Practically none of the current albums are getting as much attention as they used to in the 80s or 90s because of the ways of the industry, it's all about singles and I doubt it's Madonna's own fault if radio only plays 1 single during each era at most, while Miley, Britney, Katy etc get more.

Even if she recorded another LAP or ROL only to win back those in this thread who based their reply on them not liking what Madonna did in the past 2 years, it's doubtful that album could sell more, get more attention or radio play.

*sigh*

For all the blaming of others of mixing up their personal tastes with facts that you do, you sure refuse to see the facts. Nothingfails said it perfectly. Relevance is more than selling songs because you feature Justin or selling seats because you're gonna sing La Isla Bonita. Its a certain 'thunder in a bottle' quality that cant REALLY be put in words. But theres no arguing with loons.

I see both sides of the argument. Only in death (see how Michael Jackson dying made him hotter than he'd been since Bad, if not Thriller) could Madonna ever reach the zenith she was in in 1985 or 1990, but she's transitioned nicely into an elder stateswoman and legend. She still holds her own, but frankly, it's no longer her world in 2009... it's Beyonce, Gaga and Britney's. And there's nothing wrong with that, every generation has its superstars. Madonna hanging around today is like Barbra still holding her end in the 1980's even though Madonna and Whitney were the new darlings (and we saw Babs' latest outsell Mariah's album). Madonna is turning in sorts into Barbra Streisand (who has never reclaimed the level of fame she had in the 60's and 70's but yet she is a respected vet who still has a very vocal loyal fanbase), the same way U2 are starting to turn into The Rolling Stones in a sea of Coldplay's and The Killers the way The Stones became elder statesmen when groups like U2 and REM started breaking out in the mainstream.

I don't see any reason to hate the current stars. Sadly I know plenty of fags who won't listen to Gaga or Beyonce simply because they represent a different generation than the one they're stuck in.

Awesome post! Spot on.

Guest Coked Up Baby Boy
nothingfails:

I don't see any reason to hate the current stars. Sadly I know plenty of fags who won't listen to Gaga or Beyonce simply because they represent a different generation than the one they're stuck in.

Its' sad isn't it. How some poofs age like that.

for me madonna isn't as relevant as that of during 80s.

my measurement:

my 1 year old niece only sings of songs from lady gaga and black eyed peas hehe. for me relevance reaching out to the most common people and making it part of their everyday lives until for a certain period. madonna isn't like that anymore. i've tried playing celebration to my niece but sorry it doesn't make her move.

for me madonna isn't as relevant as that of during 80s.

my measurement:

my 1 year old niece only sings of songs from lady gaga and black eyed peas hehe. for me relevance reaching out to the most common people and making it part of their everyday lives until for a certain period. madonna isn't like that anymore. i've tried playing celebration to my niece but sorry it doesn't make her move.

And in the future, HER 1-year-old niece, most probably won't dance her ass off to Gaga and BEP.

It's natural.

Guest groovyguy

27 years after the release of "Everybody", she's still on the television, still in magazines, still on the global music charts, still on the tour circuit, and still on the tongues of the press, public, and critics. Irrelevant? As long as Madonna grows, feels inspired and evolves, she will always be relevant. This woman has has proven herself over so many years. So what if she does not attain the commercial success of the current singers on Billboard. She's still commercially successful on the global chart. People have been trying to write her off since the beginning. Well, she will always have her detractors. When Madonna first started she was written off as this disco diva, a flavor of the month. When she started, critics wrote her off and said Cyndi Lauper was relevant. Then came Whitney, Janet, Paula and now Britney, Lady Gaga.

Madonna started at a time that was very fresh and not when you have these marketing people dictating how music should be and how it should be packaged these days. Madonna started with many others, but yet so many of them fell off and left. She still maintains her artistic value. Unlike most artists she was and still is her own creation. Everything she touches, someone down the roads wants to be. She had been able to maintain her talents over 27years. The fact that she is 51 means nothing. She is someone who is challenging this whole idea of sexy and what is sexy. Her detractors accused her of being this mass media manipulator and changing looks and creating controversy just to get attention. Look at what she has done and you'll see there's something else there. As she once said in an interview "If that's all I was good at doing, i don't think people would be paying attention to me for this long, I mean I'm still here". There's some kind of lesson or some kind of point she wants to make with each thing she does. Even the "Sex Book" was a point. It was about challenging the ideas of sex and sexuality and the hypocrisy in America. Being that people will be interested in it, but yet still be freaked out at the same time. It also made the point of how you can't be seen as sexy, intelligent, thoughtful, and ambitious at the same time. Granted there were many things she was doing at the time that could have been seen as overkill and to some extent she didn't have to take it as far as she did, but still no other artist did or has done what she did. She broke down those barriers on her own. Yes she got shunned for it by many people, but still managed to come out of it and those who truly knew what she was doing were with her. She may have toned down her bad girl act in recent years but she is still breaking down those barriers and confronting those subjects that people don't want to talk about. Her many accomplishments are just too many to mention.

Madonna is defiant, does her thing, says her things, pushes buttons and still makes money. She has always managed to stay true to herself and managed to not compromise what she was about. There is only one Madonna and always will be. Madonna will always remain relevant on and off the charts. Relevant or not in your eyes, Madonna will always make waves. She's now in her early fifties, a mother, still making music and touring. It doesn't matter what anyone thinks of Madonna, she made it big and she's a legend to pop music.

27 years after the release of "Everybody", she's still on the television, still in magazines, still on the global music charts, still on the tour circuit, and still on the tongues of the press, public, and critics. Irrelevant? As long as Madonna grows, feels inspired and evolves, she will always be relevant. This woman has has proven herself over so many years. So what if she does not attain the commercial success of the current singers on Billboard. She's still commercially successful on the global chart. People have been trying to write her off since the beginning. Well, she will always have her detractors. When Madonna first started she was written off as this disco diva, a flavor of the month. When she started, critics wrote her off and said Cyndi Lauper was relevant. Then came Whitney, Janet, Paula and now Britney, Lady Gaga.

Madonna started at a time that was very fresh and not when you have these marketing people dictating how music should be and how it should be packaged these days. Madonna started with many others, but yet so many of them fell off and left. She still maintains her artistic value. Unlike most artists she was and still is her own creation. Everything she touches, someone down the roads wants to be. She had been able to maintain her talents over 27years. The fact that she is 51 means nothing. She is someone who is challenging this whole idea of sexy and what is sexy. Her detractors accused her of being this mass media manipulator and changing looks and creating controversy just to get attention. Look at what she has done and you'll see there's something else there. As she once said in an interview "If that's all I was good at doing, i don't think people would be paying attention to me for this long, I mean I'm still here". There's some kind of lesson or some kind of point she wants to make with each thing she does. Even the "Sex Book" was a point. It was about challenging the ideas of sex and sexuality and the hypocrisy in America. Being that people will be interested in it, but yet still be freaked out at the same time. It also made the point of how you can't be seen as sexy, intelligent, thoughtful, and ambitious at the same time. Granted there were many things she was doing at the time that could have been seen as overkill and to some extent she didn't have to take it as far as she did, but still no other artist did or has done what she did. She broke down those barriers on her own. Yes she got shunned for it by many people, but still managed to come out of it and those who truly knew what she was doing were with her. She may have toned down her bad girl act in recent years but she is still breaking down those barriers and confronting those subjects that people don't want to talk about. Her many accomplishments are just too many to mention.

Madonna is defiant, does her thing, says her things, pushes buttons and still makes money. She has always managed to stay true to herself and managed to not compromise what she was about. There is only one Madonna and always will be. Madonna will always remain relevant on and off the charts. Relevant or not in your eyes, Madonna will always make waves. She's now in her early fifties, a mother, still making music and touring. It doesn't matter what anyone thinks of Madonna, she made it big and she's a legend to pop music.

Isnt it kinda obvious when people make long ass posts only to get 10 people afterwards to go WOO HOO! YOU SAID IT BROTHER! *high five*

Guest groovyguy

Isnt it kinda obvious when people make long ass posts only to get 10 people afterwards to go WOO HOO! YOU SAID IT BROTHER! *high five*

You gotta love response like this coming from a Madonna fan in a Madonna Forum!

Guest waiting

She is no longer relevant in the mainstream pop culture in the sense that she is not the one the audience of current pop culture turn to for the latest thing. Like it or not, its all about Lady GAGA now.

I don't see her as being respected by many still. I think she had the most respectability during the ROL era. Hard Candy has sort of made her seem out of touch and desperate to a lot of people's eyes, save the long term fans who will pay ridiculous prices for her concerts every other year.

I was watching that clip with Matt Lauer during the American Life era where he questioned her about her relevance. I was sort of taken aback by how uncomfortable and defensive she got by the whole thing. She definitely showed her insecurities (through her body language esp) about no longer being the center of attention. It crushes her that she's no longer the IT girl in a world that is overrun by young people.

Questioning Madonna's relevance is a joke. As a fan from the beginning, I've always thought it was funny how she was written off for countless reasons, yet somehow she was always there doing something to make those people - who wanted her to go away - talk about her. My reaction to this discussion it simlpy to list a fraction of the stars (big and small) since the early 80s who have come and gone. Its easy to dismiss the "relevancy" of any of the acts (who all have been compared to M in some way - either style, sales, relevancy, etc.) but looking at their names and thinking how they had been "hot" at one point but simply faded away (some haven't faded yet, but how long will it be?) should demonstrate how unique M is in maintaining her popularity at an unprecedented level in this time frame ... how many are missing from the list?

Micheal Jackson

Prince

Debbie Harry

Van Halen

Pat Benetar

Bon Jovi

Elton John

Lisa Lisa

Hall & Oates

Natalie Cole

Boyz to Men

Rolling Stones

Cher

Belinda C.

Bangles

Talylor Dane

Cindi Lauper

Annie Lennox

Janet

Jodi Watley

Tina Turner

Whitney

Paula

Spice Girls

Martika

Lita Ford

Mariah

Wilson Phillips

Celine

En Vogue

SWV

New Kids on the Block

Backstreet Boys

NSYNC

TLC

JLo

Destinys Child

Britney

Beyonce

Nelly Furtado

Justin T.

Christina

GaGa

Guest waiting

Questioning Madonna's relevance is a joke. As a fan from the beginning, I've always thought it was funny how she was written off for countless reasons, yet somehow she was always there doing something to make those people - who wanted her to go away - talk about her. My reaction to this discussion it simlpy to list a fraction of the stars (big and small) since the early 80s who have come and gone. Its easy to dismiss the "relevancy" of any of the acts (who all have been compared to M in some way - either style, sales, relevancy, etc.) but looking at their names and thinking how they had been "hot" at one point but simply faded away (some haven't faded yet, but how long will it be?) should demonstrate how unique M is in maintaining her popularity at an unprecedented level in this time frame ... how many are missing from the list?

Micheal Jackson

Prince

Debbie Harry

Van Halen

Pat Benetar

Bon Jovi

Elton John

Lisa Lisa

Hall & Oates

Natalie Cole

Boyz to Men

Rolling Stones

Cher

Belinda C.

Bangles

Talylor Dane

Cindi Lauper

Annie Lennox

Janet

Jodi Watley

Tina Turner

Whitney

Paula

Spice Girls

Martika

Lita Ford

Mariah

Wilson Phillips

Celine

En Vogue

SWV

New Kids on the Block

Backstreet Boys

NSYNC

TLC

JLo

Destinys Child

Britney

Beyonce

Nelly Furtado

Justin T.

Christina

GaGa

Get real, GAGA has no faded and does not belong on this list. Her career has just begun.

Get real, GAGA has no faded and does not belong on this list. Her career has just begun.

I agree with you there, a number of the younger ones haven't faded, that's why I said "some haven't faded, but how long will it be"? I like GaGa, but how long will she be famous, its like Rhianna, will she have a career two years from now? GaGa is more creative than Rhianna, along the lines of Pink and Annie Lennox, and Pink has been able to hold on, but there are few exceptions.

Guest dicktracy

She is no longer relevant in the mainstream pop culture (IN THE U.S. and Australia) in the sense that she is not the one the audience of current pop culture turn to for the latest thing. Like it or not, its all about Lady GAGA now.

I don't see her as being respected by many still. I think she had the most respectability during the ROL era. Hard Candy has sort of made her seem out of touch and desperate to a lot of people's eyes, save the long term fans who will pay ridiculous prices for her concerts every other year.

I was watching that clip with Matt Lauer during the American Life era where he questioned her about her relevance. I was sort of taken aback by how uncomfortable and defensive she got by the whole thing. She definitely showed her insecurities (through her body language esp) about no longer being the center of attention. It crushes her that she's no longer the IT girl in a world that is overrun by young people.

She's still quite relevant worldwide and still a trendsetter but not as much as she used to. But believe me, if she wanted to start a new fashion or make an underground genre become mainstream she could. She's just not as hungry as she was before to lead the way, she's now enjoying the ride. "It all became a silly game..."

Guest groovyguy

I guess I should just accept that for some 'fans' a Madonna forum equals Mars where reality and common sense go out the window.

Yet another great response! Guess some 'fans' are so much more intelligent and far more superior than others that they can just throw insults on a whim.

WOO HOO! YOU SAID IT BROTHER! *high five*

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

She is no longer relevant in the mainstream pop culture in the sense that she is not the one the audience of current pop culture turn to for the latest thing. Like it or not, its all about Lady GAGA now.

Poor ppl like myself SAVE UP to see a Madonna show because she is an incredible performer! That is why. She IS worth it, no matter if her latest material is strong or not.

At the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, you summed up your speech by saying, "It all comes down to the music." Do you think about your legacy, or 100 years from now, how you'll be remembered?

Not necessarily. But when I do my shows and see how music transports people, what I'm aware of more than anything when I see people crying, or ecstatic, is how music affects people, and the power it has, over every other art form. I'm so moved and transported by other peoples music — I'm a human being like everyone else. We must all share that same connection, so I'm privileged and blessed to be a channel for music. At the end of the day, are they going to think about how I dove for my shoe at the VMAs or that I was naked in the newspapers, or are they going to remember "Live To Tell"? I think that at the end of the day, people remember authenticity. They remember what's true, and the rest falls by the wayside. They'll remember what comes from someone's heart.

from rolling stone.