ROLLING STONE (USA): October 29th Cover

Guest Damaris

Btw, she also slagged Into The Groove years ago, saying almost the exact same thing in the Details(?) 1994 interview. I thought she had re-embraced it.

She also at one point said I'm Breathless was her best album. :blink:

Interesting that Evita was her biggest challenge. Time she challenged herself again and went back to the vocal coach. :demonic:

Oh, Madonna. Your taste level is so questionable sometimes. Even w/r/t your own work!

Well she has said that Candy Shop was the best thing off Hard Candy. :lol:

That Black Madonna thing and the possible imagery of Madonna in blackface is all sorts of LOLz though :D . I'm sure she had a coherent vision in mind about challenging our perception of such imagery, but the execution probably would've come off poorly. It would make the SEX backlash look like a simple slap on the wrists.

So far French Vogue is already getting flack for this photoshoot.

Why are you paraphrasing her? She never said the songs were retarded. She said singing them made her feel retarded. There is a major difference. Sometimes I get a strong impression that you are actually just desperate to hate her, its so fucking boring.

agree!

Why are you paraphrasing her? She never said the songs were retarded. She said singing them made her feel retarded. There is a major difference. Sometimes I get a strong impression that you are actually just desperate to hate her, its so fucking boring.

ummm, yes she did.

The songs that I think are the most retarded songs I've written, like "Cherish" and "Sorry", a pretty big hit off my last album, end up being the biggest hits.

Anyway, great interview. I love how relaxed she seems in all her interviews these days. :thumbsup:

Guest Pud Whacker

with all the fans comments, i can now see why she didnt want to answer this straight on:

on the flip side, is there a time you look back on when you say, "fuck, i was pretty hot."?

i will for her. YES, THE ENTIRE LAST 27 YEARS, go have a look. :rotfl:

Thanks for posting that link- enjoyable read. Wonder if there are any other features (i.e. Rolling Stone's picks for her best music). Obviously there are going ot be some pics (other than what we saw), but that article would not take up 8 pages (even with pics).

I've read other people say it. I thought it could be one explanation for some of the stuff that turned up in Sex.

At least that would explain why he trussed her up like a turkey. :chuckle:

Great interview there, can't wait to get my hands on that magazine! Nice to see her discuss her music in more depth. So 'Sorry' makes her feel retarded? Didn't quite get that.

That Black Madonna thing and the possible imagery of Madonna in blackface is all sorts of LOLz though :D . I'm sure she had a coherent vision in mind about challenging our perception of such imagery, but the execution probably would've come off poorly. It would make the SEX backlash look like a simple slap on the wrists.

So far French Vogue is already getting flack for this photoshoot.

These were shot by Klein. I assume that what he shot with M is quite similar to these.

I find those shots rather fascinating.

500x_ls_galliano.jpg

500x_ls_blonde_wig.jpg

500x_ls_feathers.jpg

500x_ls_white_paint.jpg

agclef- anything else of note among those 8 pages?

Anyone else think the interview ended abruptly? I.e. no "where do you go from here?" questions or anything to close.

I have to say a lot of interviews always do end quite abruptly - it's like an annoying style or something, not nicely packaged at all. Whatever, as for other stuff of note, I think everyone covered everything, nothing really shocking or that we really didn't know, just more of her confirming what we've heard over the years.

My favorite parts are her talking about hanging with all the great artists of the early 80's, that's always cool.

Another thing, the article starts with an outake from the Borderline/Lucky Star 12" sessions - one of my all-time favorites.

I wonder if she could have made an effective statement about race and stereotypes with the blackface pics. Like AL though, it would give the song meaning that they didnt have in the first place and the record would dissapear in the controversy. I'm curious though. She has tackled race issues before but never this boldly. I wish I could see it.

That was an amazingly insightful interview. I had almost given up on anyone actually asking her anything interesting, but this guy did his homework. :thumbsup: As always I loved hearing about her early days in New York, and the fact that boy toy was her street tag! Who knew?!

Oh I would have loved to have seen her painted as the Black Madonna. I'm sure it would have sparked major controversy, perhaps the most she would have ever stirred. I have no doubt the images would have been spectacularly iconic though. She and Klein are usually genius together.

my wish list for interview questions:

1. what songs almost made the final cut on celebration and which songs didn't?

2. does she feel her mtv's have become less iconic (i.e. crappy) in the last few years?

3. how does she feel about declining radio play in the states as opposed to the rest of the world?

4. the reinvention and blonde ambition tour releases!!!

5. will the american life video ever get a release?

6. how she came to write and sing celebration and revolver for this new album