US Chart Talk: 10/24/09

thebigham

Guest Bad Robot

Cher had no #1s in the 80s.

She had no solo #1s in the 60s either. "I Got You Babe" was credited to Sonny and Cher. Some sources regard that as a separate act (much as "Diana Ross and the Supremes" is often regarded as separate from Diana Ross solo). I think that's splitting hairs, and would say 60s, 70s, 90s. Her span was 33 years between first and last #1.

Stevie Wonder also had #1s in the 60s/70s/80s.

I have not found a 4-decade artist yet.

Interestingly Cher holds the record for oldest woman to hit #1 at age 52 (she was almost 53). If Madonna gets a #1 sometime after spring 2011, she'd break that record and get the 4-decade streak. She'd have to land a #1 in 2017 or later however to beat Cher's overall time period.

Guest nothingfails0603

Beyond Mariah's flop, I am more surprised Paramore plunged so fast. I figured they were like a new Evanescence or something.

Guest nothingfails0603

Michael Jackson still has a few weeks left in the 00s to get a #1 this decade for 4 in a row. With "This Is It" not being available as a single, however, I think that possibility just evaporated.

Disappointed in Sony. MJ could've easily broken this record.

I know some artists like to hold albums from iTunes, and while I'm no Kid Rock or AC/DC fan, at least those albums are completely new so the fans out there are getting their moneys worth as opposed to the tenth MJ GH package available. Only hardcore MJ loons are going to rebuy their 32nd copy of Black Or White or Beat It for a few rare tracks. Torrent sites here I come LOL

MJ could have had a #1 this decade with You Rock My World easily!

It got to #10 on airplay alone and had Sony released a commercial single it would have been a dead cert for #1.

HITS:

WEAKEND CHART PREVIEW: Will Michael Buble "eclipse" the Twilight Saga: New Moon soundtrack and remain at #1 for a second week, after topping this week’s chart on only three days’ sales? (See what we did right there?) Or will “New Moon fever” (man we’re good) drive a stake into the Canuck crooner’s heart and propel this week’s Friday debut to the top? Oh, the drama. Based on midweek sales and a lot of speculation, here's how the upper reaches of the chart might look next week:

Michael Buble (Reprise) 175-200k

* Twilight Saga: New Moon (Chop Shop/Atlantic) 150-175k

Barbra Streisand (Columbia) 55-60k

Jay-Z (Roc Nation/Atlantic) 55-60k

Black Eyed Peas (Interscope) 35-40k

Miley Cyrus (Hollywood) 35-40k

Mariah Carey (Island/IDJ) 30-35k

Toby Keith (Showdog) 30-35k

Taylor Swift (Big Machine) 30-35k

KISS (KISS) 25-30k

* Mario (J/RMG) 25-30k

* Denotes debut

The week’s other notable debuts of note will most likely fall outside of the Top 10, including Flaming Lips (Warner Bros.) and Dead by Sunrise (Reprise), each trending toward 20-25k. Christmas releases from Bob Dylan (Columbia) and David Archuleta (Jive/JLG) look 15-20k-ish. (10/16a)

What's with Black Eyed Peas returning to the top 10- just a result of others falling? Or maybe just having another hit single.

Because their new song is HOT! Its the 3rd song in a row from them that I love which means my ass is going to have to buy the CD.

Guest missy bi_tch

and since madonna said she still cannot sniff a huge hit after all these years, it's pretty much random for her to ever hit #1 again...

Live Nation might pull the plug, realising that they shouldnt have paid so much for madonna...?

hopefully the new LN album and tour will hit big?...

New album: A song not for guy but for luz

I think you're misreading her meaning in her ability to not recognize a hit. Notice that she only mentioned songs that became hits that she didn't expect to be hits, not the other way around. Based on her criteria, she makes hits out of good material and material that she doesn't think is up to snuff. I think she's got a good number of hits left in her ...

and since madonna said she still cannot sniff a huge hit after all these years, it's pretty much random for her to ever hit #1 again...

Live Nation might pull the plug, realising that they shouldnt have paid so much for madonna...?

No artist can predict a #1.

Live Nation didn't pay her $120 million for #1's.

The S&S tour grossed $408 million.....that's why they paid her the big bucks.

Her next album will do well worldwide, just like all of her others. Madonna is a GLOBAL act, not a local act dependent on U.S radio.

Live Nation knew about her album/single sales when they signed the dotted line. They paid her that much because she will alwys draw big crowds to her tours. Madonna had one hit single of her last two albums in the USA, and she still sold out every single show on both confessions and sticky & sweet.

Madonna's albums will still sell roughly 3-4 million copies worldwide and trust me thats a handsome profit for any record label to have. If US sales start to increase, M will increase with them. She is doing about average now, so there is nothing to worry about.

Hard Candy sold roughly 714,000 albums in the US. If all of those CD's sold for $9.99 (which we know they didn't) that would create a profit of $7,132,860 from albums alone. Add the 3 million individual song downloads and the profit is over 10 million. Not too shabby in my opinion.

The way I see it happening is this:

1st album with LN- released in Fall of 2010 (one year from now). Generally stuff she is used to doing, focusing on dance/electronic music with a tour to follow in summer of 2011.

2nd album with LN- released in Fall of 2013. More electronic stuff but maybe some slower electronic songs (thing P/NFM), with a tour to follow in summer of 2014.

3rd album with LN- released in Fall of 2015. Huge hype surrounding this project because it's probably gonna be the time when they're gonna try to push the "this is the last M album of new material". The tour will probably follow in the summer, but may be a sort of "farewell" tour that may last a year or so. That will last until early 2107.

Last year of the contract will probably see a GH album released in 2018, but I'm expecting it to get a GHV2 type of release, focusing only on the songs from her LN days. Maybe another tour but I suppose that the tour contract will be fulfilled by then as she will probably do those three tours and if they counted the S/S part two as the first tour.

Do you think she will live that long? Its a very long farewell tour!

3rd album with LN- released in Fall of 2015. Huge hype surrounding this project because it's probably gonna be the time when they're gonna try to push the "this is the last M album of new material". The tour will probably follow in the summer, but may be a sort of "farewell" tour that may last a year or so. That will last until early 2107.

There is no gaurantee she will always draw big crowds.

Theres also no gaurantee that just because the market increases M's sales will increase too. She is on the way down overall and in the USA judging by this years chart "success" will probably as Quee Bitch says will become a Heritage Act or even worse a "Gay" Diva like Cyndi Lauper, Donna Summer.

Live Nation knew about her album/single sales when they signed the dotted line. They paid her that much because she will alwys draw big crowds to her tours. Madonna had one hit single of her last two albums in the USA, and she still sold out every single show on both confessions and sticky & sweet.

Madonna's albums will still sell roughly 3-4 million copies worldwide and trust me thats a handsome profit for any record label to have. If US sales start to increase, M will increase with them. She is doing about average now, so there is nothing to worry about.

Hard Candy sold roughly 714,000 albums in the US. If all of those CD's sold for $9.99 (which we know they didn't) that would create a profit of $7,132,860 from albums alone. Add the 3 million individual song downloads and the profit is over 10 million. Not too shabby in my opinion.

The way I see it happening is this:

1st album with LN- released in Fall of 2010 (one year from now). Generally stuff she is used to doing, focusing on dance/electronic music with a tour to follow in summer of 2011.

2nd album with LN- released in Fall of 2013. More electronic stuff but maybe some slower electronic songs (thing P/NFM), with a tour to follow in summer of 2014.

Last year of the contract will probably see a GH album released in 2018, but I'm expecting it to get a GHV2 type of release, focusing only on the songs from her LN days. Maybe another tour but I suppose that the tour contract will be fulfilled by then as she will probably do those three tours and if they counted the S/S part two as the first tour.

There is no gaurantee she will always draw big crowds.

Theres also no gaurantee that just because the market increases M's sales will increase too. She is on the way down overall and in the USA judging by this years chart "success" will probably as Quee Bitch says will become a Heritage Act or even worse a "Gay" Diva like Cyndi Lauper, Donna Summer.

You sound idiotic.

Madonna is Madonna, and will always draw crowds to her shows. She's a living icon and legend, and has been for quite some time now. Yes, she is a heritage act too....and it's not a dirty phrase. People will always pay top dollar to see her, because she is Madonna. Not sure who you think her audience is, but it's not kids, and hasn't been for years. She's getting older, and her audience is getting older. Get over it. Cyndi Lauper and Donna Summer are not, and have never been on the same level as Madonna, at any point in their careers. Either of them would love to have the career and status Madonna enjoys.

You cannot be serious. Why does everyone take everything she says at face value. This woman his KILLER pop music instincts - and I think she does know when she has a hit record. I think she was either being modest (rare, I know) or half-joking in that interview. You don't get as far as she has on accident or not knowing what will sell.

No, it isn't. Labels do not get 100% of the retail sales. They probably get about 30-40% depending on costs. I know they only get about 40 cents of a 99 cent download - if that. iTunes shaves off its cut and don't forget that Madonna probably takes a healthy chunk of that profit once her advance is paid for.

If Barbara Streisand is releasing albums in her 60's, do you think Madonna is going to stop at age 58? I'm not saying it isn't possible, but I have a feeling Madonna is going to be shaking her ass at 70.

Guest missy bi_tch

interesting debate... all we can do is wait and c...

i hope a stellar Madonna album that represents madonna in each decade as with in the 80s/90s/00s emerges in the 10s appear during her LN stint...

and she can retire on a high note...

You cannot be serious. Why does everyone take everything she says at face value. This woman his KILLER pop music instincts - and I think she does know when she has a hit record. I think she was either being modest (rare, I know) or half-joking in that interview. You don't get as far as she has on accident or not knowing what will sell.

No, it isn't. Labels do not get 100% of the retail sales. They probably get about 30-40% depending on costs. I know they only get about 40 cents of a 99 cent download - if that. iTunes shaves off its cut and don't forget that Madonna probably takes a healthy chunk of that profit once her advance is paid for.

If Barbara Streisand is releasing albums in her 60's, do you think Madonna is going to stop at age 58? I'm not saying it isn't possible, but I have a feeling Madonna is going to be shaking her ass at 70.

i hear you, but i really doubt the music industry will be able to "afford" another Madonna deal, that she would be worth so I think she'll take the high road and kinda retire

Guest Danny86

You sound idiotic.

Madonna is Madonna, and will always draw crowds to her shows. She's a living icon and legend, and has been for quite some time now. Yes, she is a heritage act too....and it's not a dirty phrase. People will always pay top dollar to see her, because she is Madonna. Not sure who you think her audience is, but it's not kids, and hasn't been for years. She's getting older, and her audience is getting older. Get over it. Cyndi Lauper and Donna Summer are not, and have never been on the same level as Madonna, at any point in their careers. Either of them would love to have the career and status Madonna enjoys.

:rotfl: Well said!

I can't believe how deluded some "fans" are if they think Madonna's career is even remotely similar to the hasbeens they keep citing ONLY when they are not satisfied with what Madonna puts out.

Guest Danny86

Ask Billboard

Hi Gary,

With much talk about Britney Spears' debut at No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 with "3" this week, let's not miss an interesting record that may have been set.

This may be a bit tricky to confirm, but is "3" the first song originally released as new material on a greatest hits album to reach No. 1? Here, I am talking about albums containing mostly previously-released material, so I'd be hesitant to count "HIStory" by Michael Jackson (containing the 1995 Hot 100 No. 1 "You Are Not Alone"), because half that collection's tracks were new.

I recall that "Slip Slidin' Away" by Paul Simon, one of two new songs on his 1977 album "Greatest Hits, Etc." reached No. 5 on the Hot 100. I'd be interested in seeing if your readers can find any other examples of new tracks from hits sets performing better.

Thanks,

Patrick Kelly

Brampton, Ontario, Canada

Hi Patrick,

What an interesting take on Spears' new Hot 100 leader. By their very nature, greatest hits albums in many cases do not contain any new music. So when they do, and a new song becomes a hit, it can only give consumers more reason to purchase a set containing numerous tracks they may already own.

It's also rare for a greatest hits set to yield a smash single in the sense that, generally, an act releasing such an album has collected so many hits that they may have graduated from receiving major airplay on popular, hit-driven radio formats. For an act to release a new song and send it to the Hot 100's summit illustrates that even well into a career, that artist remains extremely relevant, which is no small feat.

With such a wide scope to research - namely, only every greatest hits album that has ever been released - I sure wouldn't turn down any assistance from any willing Chart Beat readers. But, I can cite at least two songs from all-out greatest hits albums that crowned the Hot 100 prior to Spears' "3."

The first was by an artist who once duetted with Spears, not to mention shared the stage with her in one of the most famous moments ever on the MTV Video Music Awards: Madonna.

While Michael Jackson's 1995 retrospective contained one disc of hits and one of new songs, Madonna had released a clear-cut hits package more than four years earlier that contained 15 smashes and two new tracks, "The Immaculate Collection." The old- and new-material girl ushered in the set with "Justify My Love," and the hypnotic track topped the Hot 100 for two weeks in January 1991.

In November 2005, Destiny's Child topped the Billboard 200 with "#1's." The album included among its three new tracks a solo Beyonce cut, "Check On It." The song, also subsequently included in the film (but not the soundtrack to) "The Pink Panther," in which Beyonce starred, topped the Hot 100 for five weeks beginning in February 2006. (Thanks to Billboard 200 chart manager Keith Caulfield for noting this feat).

Again, readers are welcome to note any other such song, but here are five hits first made available on best-of sets that reached the Hot 100's top five, joining the Paul Simon track that you reference:

No. 3, "Runaway," Janet Jackson, 1995

No. 4, "Always," Bon Jovi, 1994

No. 4, "I Still Believe," Mariah Carey, 1999

No. 4, "Again," Lenny Kravitz, 2001

No. 5, "What Kind of Man Would I Be?," Chicago, 1990

Spears releases the standard version her second hits compilation, "The Singles Collection," Nov. 10. The album will contain 17 previously-released songs and "3."

The "Ultimate Fan Box Set" version of "The Singles Collection," out Nov. 24, will contain all her singles, including "3." Each disc will be packaged in its own slip sleeve case with original artwork, and will include an additional b-side or remix of the track. The collection will also sport a DVD featuring all of Spears' videos in chronological order and a booklet with images and trivia about each track.

Spears' first retrospective, "Greatest Hits: My Prerogative," reached No. 4 on the Billboard 200 in 2004. It has sold 1,363,000 copies to date, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

Did anyone decide yet wehn she's going to e?

Jut think if she'll die as MJ, great sales don't u think?

Warner will release three album in a row of new material!!!

(Of course i'm being sarcastic guys - we have already plan her ten years with LN - crazy)

And your somebody with a crystal ball who can see well into the future?

She has always courted the young audience ie the kiss and duetting with Britney, releasing 2 very pop albums - COADF, HC, duetting with Timber-twins and of all people Lil Wayne.

You sound idiotic.

And your somebody with a crystal ball who can see well into the future?

She has always courted the young audience ie the kiss and duetting with Britney, releasing 2 very pop albums - COADF, HC, duetting with Timber-twins and of all people Lil Wayne.

I'm someone who was there from the beginning. I didn't jump on board for ROL. Madonna is a superstar and icon...if you're seriously wondering if she will be able to draw audiences in the future, then you really have no clue.

Madonna is a pop artist, and always been a pop artist. COADF and HC were not youth music experiments for her. They reflect musical elements she's always worked with throughout her career.....and the last I checked, dance and r&b music have been around for DECADES. She can work with Justin, Timba, or Britney, and it still won't make her relevant with teens. They are not her audience.....the people who are paying $400 to see her are not teens, and never will be.

Without getting into a debate about 4 Mins it would have been NOWHERE if it had not been for the Timber-Twins.

There is absolutely no gaurantee that Madonna will be a big draw in the future. Just like physical music is fizzling out, one day touring could eventually fizzle out. You actually talk as if you have some gaurantee. Chances are she probably will have success but audiences are fickle too.

A very relevant point in history knowing you have been there from the beginning. Worth marking that day in history I guess?

Without getting into a debate about 4 Mins it would have been NOWHERE if it had not been for the Timber-Twins.

There is absolutely no gaurantee that Madonna will be a big draw in the future. Just like physical music is fizzling out, one day touring could eventually fizzle out. You actually talk as if you have some gaurantee. Chances are she probably will have success but audiences are fickle too.

A very relevant point in history knowing you have been there from the beginning. Worth marking that day in history I guess?

We'll never know how 4 minutes would have fared with out them, since it was never made without them. So once again, you have no clue.

As for the rest...

As long as audiences are interested in seeing live performances, Madonna will do just fine. At this point in time, there is no evidence that concert ticket sales are dwindling in any significant way. Even during the dreat depression, people still went to see shows. Audiences are fickle....when they are subjected to mediocrity. Madonna is not mediocre, she's a STAR, and people will always pay top dollar to see her, if for no other reason than to say they saw her live. Once again, she's not Donna Summer or Cyndi Lauper.

Touring won't fizzle out in the next 10 years. Or IMO ever. Why will people want to stop going out to see live music?